Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW 318 ride quality

Options
  • 19-09-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

***sorry 318(typo)***
    Hey folks,just wondering if anyone can give me some advice..just changed from an Avensis to a 2003 BMW 318 2.0 automatic.
    Ride quality doesn't seem much of any improvement,which is why I bought it,as i have a spinal compression in my neck and potholes kill me.
    What can i do?factory 16 alloys,good tyres,would shocks/struts need doing in a car this age or would that show on NCT?
    Would some after market gear help?,don't now a huge amount about cars so was hoping someone might have some ideas..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

A BMW probably wasn't the best choice. Probably better off buying a big floaty citreon. Citreon C5's have a fancy air suspenion. Some cars like bmw's have harder suspension for better handling but can give you a bit of a jolt if you hit a pothole. After market gear tends to be for improving handling by making it stiffer and lower to the ground.

Stick your post in the motors forum for more suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

The easiest way to soften the ride is smallest wheel with tyres with bigger side wall

As everyone looking for bigger alloys with low profile tyres you should pickup these 2nd hand cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I replaced my 18's with 16's on my 318i - have new 18's going on and needed something to keep the car going after selling the previous set. Anyway, can confirm that the ride is more compliant with them, although it definitely has lost some sharpness in cornering (which I'm presuming you're not concerned with).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

youd have been far better off with a 520 on a number of fronts in my opinion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Does your car have run flat tyres? I drive a 520d with run flats and while my car was in for a service the garage gave me a 316d without run flats as a loaner. The ride difference was quite noticeable so it may be something to think about.

I prefer the run flats because of the security and because there's no room in the boot to carry a spare but you do know about it when you meet an unexpected pothole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Does your car have run flat tyres? I drive a 520d with run flats and while my car was in for a service the garage gave me a 316d without run flats as a loaner. The ride difference was quite noticeable so it may be something to think about.

I prefer the run flats because of the security and because there's no room in the boot to carry a spare but you do know about it when you meet an unexpected pothole.

In an 03 E46 I'd doubt RFT's is the issue here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think it was just a bad choice of car given the requirements. Can't see many things you can do that will make it more comfortable to be honest. New suspension parts would only see it the same or stiffer imo. I think you'd be better at looking to change car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Peugeot 406 more comfortable more reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

As other have said: a bad choice of car. Op, you needed to look in to pug 406, 407, volvo s60, Citroën c5 etc

Surely you test drove that BMW and you noticed rough ride quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

indeed, a saab would have been a much better choice, i think they have good seats. sell her up and buy something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Mike27

Cheers guys for all the advice;unfortunatly didnt get to test as she was delivered from waterford,still getting over my injury.

Thought about a citroen alright but heard reliability was an issue,got the 318 cause the sister has one and its very comfortable(the new model though),maybe could look at an old 520 down the line but will have to make do for now.thanks again for all the info.

Cheers guys for all the advice;unfortunatly didnt get to test as she was delivered from waterford,still getting over my injury.

Thought about a citroen alright but heard reliability was an issue,got the 318 cause the sister has one and its very comfortable(the new model though),maybe could look at an old 520 down the line but will have to make do for now.thanks again for all the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You bought a car without even first seeing or test driving it? :eek:

Wasn't an option;recovering from an injury

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Buy French. In the meantime, lower the seat and fit a spongey cushion. Works well with my prolapsed disc.

Cheers Brens,will try that,already has 16" wheels,going to see if I can fit taller tyres on her too.

Cheers Brens,will try that,already has 16" wheels,going to see if I can fit taller tyres on her too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Mike27 wrote: »

Don't waste the money imo. You just wont notice the difference, even if you do notice a slight difference it will not be worth the money. The 3 series is a sport saloon at the end of the day. I know a lot will scoff at calling a 318 a sport saloon, but it is. It's a pretty stiff ride even in SE guise. Don't put any more money into this is my opinion. You'd be better off with something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It's such a pain (no pun intended) having to buy a different car because of an injury. I'm in a similar boat with slipped disc, leaving me unable to press the clutch in my car. I'm looking to pick up a cheap automatic next week to see if I can get back some independence.

I used to own a 318iSE myself (01 model). Great car, but built not for cushioning potholes. Good suggestions given above. Especially the C5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Just a note about the Avensis you replaced. The Irish models have something called the Toyota Rough Road Pack. Different shocks and springs to cope with our crap roads. I have an ex-UK Avensis on original 17's, and it's a way smoother ride than my mates Irish Avensis which has 17's too.

• Advertisement

Cheers all,but will have to stick with the Bimmer for next two years anyway as it's disabled certified now.looks like yere all right about the shocks,only way to soften them out is a set of custom made coil overs,whatever they are,so too pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

doubt if coils will be any use, i had BC ones before (coils and camber arms the guts of £1k) and even with the softest damper setting it was still noticeably firm, as alan said you would be far better off with something else, a c5, volvo, saab etc would be much better.

Advertisement