Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Mondeo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Are they taking orders for the new one yet I wonder. I'm sure there are some that will NEED to have the mk5 first :rolleyes: thus ordering it before any test drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Are they taking orders for the new one yet I wonder. I'm sure there are some that will NEED to have the mk5 first :rolleyes: thus ordering it before any test drive!

I don't care how badly the need someone has to be the FIRST with the new model. 30 grand on a new car without test driving it first - is just mental :D.

In my world at least :eek:

But back on topic - im feeling nervous about the new Mondeo - given the reports that are coming back about the Ecosport.

Yes its a different car - but the UK press normally LOVE Fords since the Mk 1 Focus came out.

Waiting with nervous anticipation for the first drive reports in the motoring press.

Oh ya, it's stupidity, end of story. Will definitely go to the dealership and take an extensive look at it when it arrives, maybe even a sneaky test drive, just out of curiosity :P But after the car I have now I'm going to park (:P) the mondeo ship there I think...

Oh ya, it's stupidity, end of story. Will definitely go to the dealership and take an extensive look at it when it arrives, maybe even a sneaky test drive, just out of curiosity :P But after the car I have now I'm going to park (:P) the mondeo ship there I think...

Never say never....

You might love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Pricing seems very ambitious from Ford. 35k for a 2.0 TDCI Titanium is a lot of money.

Also curious at the decision to only offer the saloon as a Vignale model. That's not going to please a lot of prospective Irish buyers given our obsession with saloons. Personally, I'd always rather a saloon in this size of car as when given the choice, that's what people want second-hand. I also prefer the security aspect of a saloon with lockable folding rear seats, and saloons in this size of car look better proportioned than hatches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

35k for a Mondeo?

I'd rather 43k on a 5 series any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

Sobanek wrote: »
    35k for a Mondeo?

I'd rather 43k on a 5 series any day.

€35k for very nice looking, nicely spec'd Mondeo, and almost €10k extra for a base spec 520d.

Give me the Mondeo every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

€35k for very nice looking, nicely spec'd Mondeo, and almost €10k extra for a base spec 520d.

Give me the Mondeo every time.

To be fair, and bear in mind that I hate the way practically every 5 series is a 520d (instead of one with six cylinders), they are very well equipped these days. Even the cheapest 518d has leather, satnav, Connected Drive, Xenon Headlights and a digital radio as standard. The only thing they can really be accused of being stingy on is the lack of front foglights on SE versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

They seem to like it.

I'm being offered a choice between the new Mondeo (1.6 diesel Zetec) and a 2014 Avensis (2.0 diesel Luna) for a replacement company car.

Is the Avensis the obvious choice in this case? I like the look of the Mondeo though, and the Autocar review mentions a quiet cab on the motorway which is something that bugs me about the Avensis I'm currently driving..

Does anyone know exactly what is going in to the Irish Zetec spec list? Would the 1.6D seem very underpowered compared to the 2.0D Avensis I'm driving right now?

• Advertisement

Phew - sigh of relief - its a good un it seems on early impressions.

The Ecosport reviews had me a bit worried :eek:

will be interesting to see how the Passat compares when it arrives

Same site has review of that too.

So they do - heres the Passat review

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/passat/first-drives/volkswagen-passat-estate-20-tdi-bluemotion-first-drive-rev

When I read the mondeo review - I just got the impression they hadn't driven the Passat yet.

But having re read the Mondeo review - they more meant about wanting to try the 2 cars on Uk roads before a final verdict on both

Monday interior looks mank, Passat interior looks like it costs serious €€€. Irish prices of both are very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

...while there’s even a 99g/km petrol-electric hybrid version – the only model in the new line-up available as four-door saloon, rather than a five-door hatchback.

Cheap to tax... saloon... might be a seller in Ireland?

Why is the new 2015 Ford Mondeo so late to arrive in Europe?

Afair, one of their factories closed in Europe, alongside worker disputes meant that the date was pushed back numerous times.

I think theres a strong possibility the car is a lot better then the 3 stars in that test review suggests.

Autocars review was linked to in this thread last night - and they gave it 4.5 stars.

Every review is related to advertising revenue. Or else the junket was a bit crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If I get time, I'll let you know tomorrow of what I think of the new Mondeo.

Not driving it until later in the month, but will get to see a couple in the flesh tomorrow.

R.O.R wrote: »
    If I get time, I'll let you know tomorrow of what I think of the new Mondeo.

Not driving it until later in the month, but will get to see a couple in the flesh tomorrow.

Coolio, let us know what the Zetec spec (aka the repmobile) is like!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Casati

I can't believe it will only be a 3 star car, can't wait to see what they call the 5 star car in that class??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Hopefully ford finally grow some balls and make a mondeo RS. Get the old volvo straight 5 2.5 up to about 325 bhp and be awesome again!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

gallag wrote: »
    Hopefully ford finally grow some balls and make a mondeo RS. Get the old volvo straight 5 2.5 up to about 325 bhp and be awesome again!

That engine is no longer available thanks to EU emission regulations. The most realistic option you could expect as a Mondeo halo model would be the 2.3 litre turbo Ecoboost engine from the new Mustang.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

As is often the case, the 2 cars that came in this morning were loaded to the gills with most of the options available. Both were 180ps Titanium, with 19's and Panoramic roof etc.

The Front Grille makes a serious impression - no real surprise as it's lifted from an Aston Martin. Not sure about the rear 3/4 styling on the hatch - looks a bit i40 from certain angles, but then again, looks a bit Jag from other angles.

Rear leg room was plentiful. Boot in the hatch is as mammoth as the old model, but does seem a little shallower. Headroom in the rear wasn't great - I'm pretty average height and my head was just brushing the roof. Pano roof doesn't help that though - same in Estate and hatch.

Windows based Sync system in both of the cars (standard Titanium) - doesn't seem as good as the Opel system (although it may work better), but as the NAV SD Card wasn't in, couldn't mess with the full functionality. Dissapointed by the plastics around the radio - bit cheap looking, but the rest of the plastics are quite nice, and they've kind of knicked the Volvo floating console.

Not bad, but not blown away. Will sell by the bucket load though.

Driving them later in the month and there should be some Zetec's by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Had a look at two demos yesterday.

The styling is really nice, such a step up from the current model.

Interior is a very nice place to be. The seats are very comfortable and the dash is very nice and seems well built. Nice use of materials too. There's way too much "mood" lighting in the cabin though.

Estate is massive, but the model on display had a weird fake floor which made it look smallish. The boot was also powered which I had great fun with!

I am in love with the front of it. :)

IMG_1520_zpsedc8d30f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Glad to see they're sticking with a hatch version; several others have abandoned this like the Mazda 6 and Avensis and Citreon C5 which was a shame and less choice for us company car drivers that must have a hatch rather than saloon. Insignia, Mondeo and Octavia (bit smaller I know) seem to be only ones in the class offering this choice still and in all these the hatch versions I see frequently.

Going to drag this thread up for a few pics. Got a few bad snaps in the local dealer today. Was the only one they had. I don't know what ye think, but at first I thought it was a focus. Doesn't really have the wow factor, not like the previous model had anyway. Bear in mind that this is a titanium spec too, even still.... Them alloys need to be bigger too IMO

x3u8zs.png

vihekj.png

2djs9jm.png

9azuo3.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Under wheeled, bulbous body, pastiche grille, brings nothing new to the table. Disappointing.

Advertisement