Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Talk me through the various comics

• 08-02-2013 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭

So I picked up an iPad last weekend and first thing I did was load the UK G1 comics onto it and now I'm reading through them for what must be the first time in 25 years.

I downloaded the official IDW Transformers app the other day and will therefore probably go straight onto the Regeneration line once I've read through all the G1 stuff. But beyond that I'm a bit lost about where to go from there. There seems to be loads of different TF comic lines and mini-series that have come out of IDW the last few years but I'm not sure which ones to go for, which ones to leave and which ones are in the same continuity as each other.

Can anyone talk me through it or point me in the direction of somewhere where I can find out this information?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GerHankey

There's quite a lot of stuff to go through, and not all of it worth the time to be honest. They did a "Reboot" of sorts about a year ago and now have two ongoing titles - Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets The Eye. RID is set on Cybertron and deals with the aftermath of the end of the war between the Autobots and Decepticons, while MTMTE follows the adventures of the crew of the "Lost Light" on a quest to find the fabled Knights of Cybertron.
    Both series are (in my opinion anyway) very good, and MTMTE is possibly the best TF comic series ever written. Its a good jumping on point.
    Besides that, Last Stand of the Wreckers is an absolute must-read!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Must agree with Ger. MTMTE is brilliant. It's unbelievably fresh and different. You'll love it. 'Jumping on' at the start of MTMTE and RiD is probably a good idea. You can pick up on the stuff beforehand at your leisure. Be warned though, Heart of Darkness is a bad BAD comic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The only 2 runs, in retrospect, that I would say you should absolutely avoid are Bumblebee and heart of darkness. They're so bad as to be close to appearing inept.

At the other end of the scale, we have last stand of the wreckers, which is a darkly brilliant action movie in comic book form, spotlight prowl which is basically a preview for the newest direction of the TF comics, and as people are saying, More Than Meets The Eye, which barely reads like a "TF" comic of old at all, is a huge amount of fun and has some very funny moments.

The current TF comics are great, RID is well worth a look too.

I liked Bumblebee. Thought it was a good expansion of his character.

• Advertisement

Badges...

>_<

Re: MTMTE, it reads more like Firefly/Serenity than a Transformers comic.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Re: MTMTE, it reads more like Firefly/Serenity than a Transformers comic.

That's an excellent way of putting it.

I love the double acts going on, Hot Rod and Drift, Rachet and Fixit, Cyclonus and Tailgate, Ultra Magnus and Rodimus, Rewind and Chromedome, Rung and everyone!

I also love the logical-when-you-think-about-it recreation of some of the characters. Whirl and Cyclonus come to mind.

It's anarchic and well written and I genuinely look forward to reading it every month.

I stopped buying issues in favour of waiting for the TPBs. I might start picking up MTMTE monthly though, due to the amazing cliffhanger/reveal at the end of volume 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

There seemed to be a sale of TF comics online over the weekend. I thought about picking up all of MTMTE and RID but in the end went for Autocracy and Last Stand of the Wreckers for now.

I'm still making my way through the original UK comic. Back in the day I started reading it at about issue 120 and managed to read a lot of what came before in either Collected Comics or picking up the odd back issue at boot sales and the like. This is the first time I've tried to read the whole lot though. I'm about issue 45 at the moment. Just waiting until Target 2006 when the UK continuity really picks up pace.

• Advertisement

Just wanted to say- if anyone is interested in transformers and comics, More than meets the eye has somehow managed to get even better in the last 2 months.

Don't want to spoil anything but the whole run is awesome.

Just wanted to say- if anyone is interested in transformers and comics, More than meets the eye has somehow managed to get even better in the last 2 months.

Don't want to spoil anything but the whole run is awesome.

Of course it is.

No Optimus, all Rodimus.

It's what the people want ;)

Volume 3 of MTMTE was moving stuff...
    RiD isn'ta bad comic by any means, but it pales in comparison.

Volume 3 of MTMTE was moving stuff...
    RiD isn'ta bad comic by any means, but it pales in comparison.

More from me on MTMTE V3 here:
    http://www.krank.ie/category/cul/review-more-than-meets-the-eye-volume-3/

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AxlF

The only 2 runs, in retrospect, that I would say you should absolutely avoid are Bumblebee and heart of darkness. They're so bad as to be close to appearing inept..

I just finished Bumblebee. God that was dreadful stuff.

AxlF wrote: »
    I just finished Bumblebee. God that was dreadful stuff.

IDW was going through a really bad patch with that and Heart of Darkness. Thankfully, they've turned it around. Indeed, MTMTE and RiD are great.

What's the story with Dark Cybertron? Are they merging MTMTE/RiD?
    Bear in mind, I'm behind as I only tend to read the trade paper backs, so I'm only at volume 3 for both.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Im about 40 comics off a complete run of the marvel g1 transformers, ive also a box of over 100 doubles i have too. I used to collect them years ago and fancied reading them again about 6 months back and decided to buy them all. Hopefully pick up the rest over the next few months and i can actually start reading them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

IDW was going through a really bad patch with that and Heart of Darkness. Thankfully, they've turned it around. Indeed, MTMTE and RiD are great.

What's the story with Dark Cybertron? Are they merging MTMTE/RiD?
    Bear in mind, I'm behind as I only tend to read the trade paper backs, so I'm only at volume 3 for both.

i get the feeling its like the ol age of apocalypse thing with the xmen books.

i.e ya have a stand alone spotlight "alpha" thing.

then it rotates through both books starting with MTMTE 23 then RID 23 Etc, all the way to an "omega " book to finish it all off.

i still buy the books monthly online but my retailers changed his method of purchasing (used to by the three books together to save on posting , now ya gotta preorder) so its only up to chapter 5 there but i reckon thats the way itll pan out.

TBH im actually kinda excited.

not only because we got stellar writers, but because its the first honest to god transformers crossover event that didnt involve another franchise. im dying to see how it pans out.

:D

That's an excellent point actually. The writing has been so good of late that they can crossover with themselves.

Hmm, apparently MTMTE volume 4 came out in July. I'm determined to buy from a local comic shop but they're like gold dust!

Advertisement