Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accountancy with no experience

• 14-09-2014 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Gal2011

I am working in a sales role and I have previously got a degree and masters in Business in Marketing. I am thinking I would like to become an accountant but what is the best part time course to do based in Galway. Do i just register with ACCA and then study on my own and do exams or how to I study alone as is there specific books you are given or do you recommend i do a course like with the Western Management centre and they teach me twice weekly for the exams?? Any help or feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Chartered Business Route (aka Elevation) from ACA - you enrol yourself, they send you out the books, you go to lectures and sit exams. Work experience is required.

If you're just looking for a simple course there's probably some one year courses you could do, ATI maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Gal2011

Thanks Prettyblack. Is that a part time cours eor can you do it online or in your own time as I am based in Galway obviously. I have tried to research the whole area but appreciate some inside advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Can do both, online and classes. They do classes in Galway too.

And yes, part time. Work experience required as well (same for all bodies).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Small point, but you need 3 years accounting experience to qualify. Still, nothing stopping you from sitting the exams before, during or after you get your experience.

tenifan wrote: »
    Small point, but you need 3 years accounting experience to qualify. Still, nothing stopping you from sitting the exams before, during or after you get your experience.

3 years seems very long along with all the exams and educational side of it. Is this the only avenue for me to essentially become an Accountant?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Gal2011 wrote: »
    3 years seems very long along with all the exams and educational side of it. Is this the only avenue for me to essentially become an Accountant?

You don't need your exams or experience to get a job as an accountant.
    You only need them if you want to be chartered or certified or one of the other accreditations.
    Most people do their exams and work at the same time. so it takes 3 years altogether.

I have no idea of Accountancy really and haven't studied it so I would hardly get a job in it without some qualification i presume. I was hoping to stay in my current sales role and study Accountancy part time and then when qualified, apply for jobs and hopeful not lose out on too much money!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I have no idea of Accountancy really and haven't studied it so I would hardly get a job in it without some qualification i presume. I was hoping to stay in my current sales role and study Accountancy part time and then when qualified, apply for jobs and hopeful not lose out on too much money!!

Unfortunately you need experience to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

We employed a girl who had all her ACCA's, and all her CIMA's, but zero experience. She got an extra €2,000 above other new starts. That was it. And it was absolutely the best she could do in the market.

Experience is critical in order to get paid decent wages. Exams are then critical after 3 to 4 years of experience to get paid better wages. But you need that 3/4 years experience.

Very limited amount of people with zero accounting experience are walking into jobs of more than 16-18k outside dublin, or 20-22k in Dublin, regardless of their background.

You will need at least three years of relevant experience and to have passed your exams to become a member of an accounting body.

If you have progressed in your career you most likely will be taking a hit to your salary. As you said you have no idea of accountancy and will be paid as such.

How big is the company you are working for now? An internal transfer might be a start, reporting on sales or whatever.

• Advertisement

You will need at least three years of relevant experience and to have passed your exams to become a member of an accounting body.

If you have progressed in your career you most likely will be taking a hit to your salary. As you said you have no idea of accountancy and will be paid as such.

How big is the company you are working for now? An internal transfer might be a start, reporting on sales or whatever.

It is a very large organisation but it is all based in the UK essentially so there is no chance of transferring roles in my current job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Having a marketing background will dovetail very nicely with your accounting career. It's good to have that perspective.

Good luck.

Advertisement