Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stupid People

Options
  • 17-05-2013 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Right so this morning i was dropping my boys to school and just as we got to the school there was the usual heavy stop start traffic and right in front of me was a guy driving a fiesta with a child sitting on his lap, the child was no more than 4 yrs old....is that insane or what? Some people are just really stupid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

S28382 wrote: »
    .is that insane or what? Some people are just really stupid.

I used to love when my father let me do that. Still remember being 4 and doing it is a Pug 309.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I used to love when my father let me do that. Still remember being 4 and doing it is a Pug 309.

Yeah its ok in a car park when no one is around but to do it in heavy traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Yeah its ok in a car park when no one is around but to do it in heavy traffic.

It was actually on a main road but Tbf it was in 1988!

Nah I see your point

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

It would be worse if he was doing 80 down the M50.. Live a little..

ba_barabus wrote: »
    It was actually on a main road but Tbf it was in 1988!

Nah I see your point

Dont get me wrong i know as a kid its a great thing to do jayus i let my 12 yr old sit in with me to drive the car up our drive yesterday....its a big wide space so there was no danger of hitting anything but i was shocked to see that guy with the child on his lap.

• Advertisement

DAZP93 wrote: »

Really? So you think its ok to drive in heavy traffic with a 4 yr old child sitting on your lap

Really? So you think its ok to drive in heavy traffic with a 4 yr old child sitting on your lap

Its not the most convenient way of moving from A-B but its hardly life threatning. I assume the young lad was only sitting on the drivers lap while in the stop-start traffic?

I personally wouldnt do it but its not worthy of a new thread on Boards imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the Government introduced a stupidity tax then we would have no National Debt problems.

That driver deserves a mention on this page: http://www.darwinawards.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It would be worse if he was doing 80 down the M50.. Die a little..

FYP

Its not the most convenient way of moving from A-B but its hardly life threatning. I assume the young lad was only sitting on the drivers lap while in the stop-start traffic?

I personally wouldnt do it but its not worthy of a new thread on Boards imo.

No the guy was driving the car with the child on his lap in heavy traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

cant remember who posted it a while back but there was a comment made that on Irish roads, once u are not speeding you can pretty much do what you want. The more i think about it........

or was this in Alabama (op's location)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Sometimes I wonder if people nowadays ever had childhoods. Seriously, I would guess the vast majority of people that are now adults did indeed sit on their dad/mom's lap while driving the car. That "look daddy, I'm driving" game.

It is of course something that is not recommended and could only be done within the limits of reason (e.g. no kid on the lap not only on the motorway, but even while driving 50 kph around towm - you need full concentration and mobility).

The child on the lap in start-stop (but since we're talking about a school, it's more stop and wait forever) traffic is certainly not 100% right, but hardly a "oh my god, look at that irresponsible twat!" matter.

00833827 wrote: »
    cant remember who posted it a while back but there was a comment made that on Irish roads, once u are not speeding you can pretty much do what you want. The more i think about it........

or was this in Alabama (op's location)?

Is this a pop at me or what are you on about. BTW i live in Ireland not Alabama so my location setting on Boards has nothing to do with it.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder if people nowadays ever had childhoods. Seriously, I would guess the vast majority of people that are now adults did indeed sit on their dad/mom's lap while driving the car. That "look daddy, I'm driving" game.

It is of course something that is not recommended and could only be done within the limits of reason (e.g. no kid on the lap not only on the motorway, but even while driving 50 kph around towm - you need full concentration and mobility).

The child on the lap in start-stop (but since we're talking about a school, it's more stop and wait forever) traffic is certainly not 100% right, but hardly a "oh my god, look at that irresponsible twat!" matter.

Ok let me clear it up...outside the school it was stop start because the traffic is really heavy, On the rest of the road (which by the way is at the tail end of a dual carriage way) the traffic is not stop start so yes it is dangerous to have a child sitting on a lap whilst DRIVING in traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

my ole man used to let me change gear for him happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Is this a pop at me or what are you on about. BTW i live in Ireland not Alabama so my location setting on Boards has nothing to do with it.

??eh??

I was broadly in agreement with your posting and enquired into the general location it happened.

As they may say in 'Bama, no need to be so ornery -

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Doing 80 on the m50 is daft. Child or no child. I presume he'd be in the middle lane...?

endacl wrote: »
    Doing 80 on the m50 is daft. Child or no child. I presume he'd be in the middle lane...?

MPH that is..I dislike km/h. Since when is there a middle lane..theres are only 2?? one on the left and one on the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭pcardin

If he had one of those stupid signs in the window like "Baby on the board" (or "Baby on the lap" in this case) he should be sorted and forgiven. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

seems harmless - youngster probably loved it, i remember i did

• Advertisement

I loved thinking i was driving my dads car when i was young but only ever done it when it was in a car park in his GAA club when no one was around. I learned to operate a car in an old car park in Tramore when no one was around as soon as a car came in i was out of the drivers seat. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

bad , but at least it wasnt a priest

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

MPH that is..I dislike km/h. Since when is there a middle lane..theres are only 2?? one on the left and one on the right?

When have you last been on the M50 ? It's 3 lanes on most of it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

H3llR4iser wrote: »

The... in start-stop .... traffic is certainly not 100% right, but hardly a "oh my god, look at that irresponsible twat!" matter.

I let the boys sit in the drivers seat and play with the controls when the car is parked and the keys are not in the ignition. And I am in the car.

There is so much wrong with having kids not in car seats that is already documented...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

DaDumTish wrote: »
    bad , but at least it wasnt a priest

I knew a few youngfellas who used to change gear for the priest. Wasn't 'til we were a bit older they found out the blasted car was automatic...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Well all kidding aside I think it's high time that Leo The Rad-Cap fella sorted this out, and made it a penalty-pointabable offence to have children, dogs or mothers-in-law unsecured in the cabin of a motor vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

jimgoose wrote: »
    Well all kidding aside I think it's high time that Leo The Rad-Cap fella sorted this out, and made it a penalty-pointabable offence to have children, dogs or mothers-in-law unsecured in the cabin of a motor vehicle.

Ban all kids from cars, its the only way to be sure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

In my estate a dad once stopped while driving into the driveway in a cul de sac to allow his kid to sit on his lap as he drove the 10m into the driveway.

The other girl who had been playing with the kid was standing watching (they were about 6 years old) but then moved in front of the car as it entered the driveway, the child in the car paniced and prevented the father from hitting the brakes. Other child had both legs mangled and a broken pelvis. Years later she still couldnt walk properly and has pins in her legs.

Its a stupid thing to do at anytime, sure most of the time nothing happens, but when it does think how bad you would feel.

GreeBo wrote: »
    In my estate a dad once stopped while driving into the driveway in a cul de sac to allow his kid to sit on his lap as he drove the 10m into the driveway.

The other girl who had been playing with the kid was standing watching (they were about 6 years old) but then moved in front of the car as it entered the driveway, the child in the car paniced and prevented the father from hitting the brakes. Other child had both legs mangled and a broken pelvis. Years later she still couldnt walk properly and has pins in her legs.

Its a stupid thing to do at anytime, sure most of the time nothing happens, but when it does think how bad you would feel.

Holy sh*t thats terrible that is not what i would like on my conscious for the rest of my life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement