Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen 'Get Fresh' Van! Please keep an eye out!!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,376 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anan1 wrote: »
    I don't follow?

Your perception of double standard between the jovialness here and the other thread means nothing when it keeps the vehicles in the 'headlines' so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Both may have been the topic of conversation, and therefor in peoples minds, but in this thread the vast majority of responses where just to add another pun, giving the impression that it simply wasn't being taken seriously, as opposed to the pages of suggestions for the BMW on places to check, people to call(tolls, ports etc etc).

Where was the pages of sympathy that the BMW thread got? Why, when a joke was posted(in bad taste of course) was the poster told that this wasn't a laughing matter. Why did no-one say that here?

Reading the threads would give no other impression other then the missing BMW was being taken seriously while the van was just a thread full of amusement for people and IMO any newer members reading this would simply not be inclined to post here if their car went missing in case it had the wrong badge on the front or wasn't 'deemed' worthy of concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,376 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Both may have been the topic of conversation, and there for in peoples minds, but in this thread the vast majority of responses where just to add another pun, giving the impression that it simply wasn't being taken seriously, as opposed to the pages of suggestions for the BMW on places to check, people to call(tolls, ports etc etc).

Where was the pages of sympathy that the BMW thread got? Why, when a joke was posted(in bad taste of course) was the poster told that this wasn't a laughing matter. Why did no-one say that here?

Reading the threads would give no other impression other then the missing BMW was being taken seriously while the van was just a thread full of amusement for people and IMO any newer members reading this would simply not be inclined to post here if their car went missing in case it had the wrong badge on the front or wasn't 'deemed' worthy of concern.

The Van was found, the car hasnt been?

Does that not dispute your case.....

listermint wrote: »

Do you think the thread was a contributing factor?
    I don't know if it was or not btw but to reckon it was without knowing is going out on a limb somewhat.

You reckon the 335 might have been taken by a roaming gang with a job in mind, the van wasn't me thinks.

The Van was found, the car hasnt been?

Do you think the attitudes or posts in either thread contributed to the fact that the van was found? Only if that was the case would it in any way dispute my point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Based on a mod note in this thread, even the darling Octavia isn't immune from some bad taste jokes, so I think what ND says is true, stolen premium cars get more air time so to speak.

The cross post on the Louth forum reports that the Octy was recovered in good nick and an arrest, so a good result in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Both may have been the topic of conversation, and there for in peoples minds, but in this thread the vast majority of responses where just to add another pun, giving the impression that it simply wasn't being taken seriously, as opposed to the pages of suggestions for the BMW on places to check, people to call(tolls, ports etc etc).

Totally agree with you ND. This thread got so bad that I actually thought it was some sort of delayed April Fools "in-joke" amongst boardsies.
    Glad the van has been retrieved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I hope that comment was in jest as if not, it just creates the view that this forum is only interested in the people who have certain types of cars.

The van owner lost his direct means of making a living, the BMW driver lost his pride and joy no doubt, but it will cost him very little, if anything.

It was, mostly!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Your perception of double standard between the jovialness here and the other thread means nothing when it keeps the vehicles in the 'headlines' so to speak.
    That'd be fair enough if the only issue here were keeping the vehicles in the headlines. Thing is, though, it isn't.

If only we had an off topic thread to continue this....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I only spotted this now, and can whilst I appreciate any theft is an awful experience, I'm glad OP got it back - and kept his sense of humour.

Keeping the post count up (jovially)may not have helped find it - but there again, there were a lot of people aware of it, so that's not a bad thing.

As an aside, one of our customer's trucks (also food service) was stolen in Dublin recently too, whilst at a food exhibition - a Merc Atego - not exactly 335 stuff sure, for getaway's. They're not stealing the vehicles - they're stealing the food.

There's a market for 'hot' (sic) food - this is the reality of the recession we're in.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

RoverJames wrote: »
    The silver lining is that all the puns etc kept the thread on the first page, it ensured the thread and pic of the van got views. Better that than the thread disappearing to page 2 or 3 or beyond imo.

I did find the puns a huge tad OTT but no harm done really and the OP didn't seem to mind which is the main thing.

Thanks Rover James for restoring a bit of perspective, sanity and understanding of the spirit the puns were intended in.
    What better way to get WBA 88 & friend's predicament in the headlines & keep it there than to keep the humour going with the daily posts and bumping it along.
    it was evident earlier on that OP was taking the gags in good spirits and I for one would not have joined in if perceived that it was insult.
    At its peak last week, perhaps most of the readers here and a big % of people on the Irish roads for a living were on the lookout for the van.
    I personally had never heard of "Get Fresh" prior to this but aware of it now.

To the OP and van owner.
    Hope it was found intact and that livelihoods not impacted too much.
    Can you shed more light on how and where found?

Hope too that the 335d is located and happy endings there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I hope a lot of the people who post in this thread never come on here posting about a stolen vehicle

Pile of shyte thread when someone asked for help
    johnos1984 wrote: »
    Seriously your talking about someone's vehicle and job and all people do is make crap pun jokes about it.
    I hope that comment was in jest as if not, it just creates the view that this forum is only interested in the people who have certain types of cars.

The van owner lost his direct means of making a living, the BMW driver lost his pride and joy no doubt, but it will cost him very little, if anything.

+1
    This thread was much of a disgrace as the other stolen thread,
    I'll just echo what I said in the other thread and I hope certain users never have to start a thread like this.
    If only we had an off topic thread to continue this....

Considering the behaviour of users in this thread, I guess it show there's no need for the OT thread as they obviously feel they can take the piss in whatever thread they want. Glad the van is back OP.

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement