Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Over-rated Cars

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

EPM wrote: »
    //Awaits Vectra's retort :pac:

haha, I'll be kind and say that your model is the only one I like,the blue really does stand out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

4. Peugeot's ALL (Flintstones cars)
    A lot of the new generation of Peugeot's are rubbish. The older generation cars are mostly good though.

The 205 is a legendary car. The 106 GTI is one of the best cars I have ever driven (I may be biased in owning it!), the 306 and 406 are very solid family cars. Older Peugeot's are criminally underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

B5.5 Passat 130bhp TDI is well over-rated. They're not fast despite what their owners think.

The biggest disappointment I've had with driving any car was a VW Golf Mk4 GTi. Not fast enough and boat like handling did not live up to the reputation I had heard

166man wrote: »

i at least it can be driven for 12 months of the year and not parked up at the side of the road for 3 months because of its RWD...

Absolute rubbish, I didnt once fail to get anywhere in the winter in the worst of the weather due to rwd and that was on summer tyres that were borderline legal thread wise.The driver is the reason they are parked up not the car.

Also RWD + snow = :D
    dharn wrote: »
    most BMW 3 series petrols below 2.0 ltr. Sorry, I just don't like them. Small and cramped....bmw 3 series petrols above 2.0 ltr are the same size, so they are small and cramped also, that seems to be your only problem with the 3 series, so it makes no sense

The e46 3series is not small and cramped. You can comfortably fit 4 adults in the car with loads of leg room for both front and rear passengers. people are actually very surprised at the rear leg room in my car considering its a coupe. With 5 people the only real problem is the drive shaft is in the way a bit but I've traveled long journeys with 5 and had no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Mine is a sport model, my arse agrees with your sentiment :D

That's something I think just needs getting used to, you won't pick that up in a weekend hire car (not that you'll get many quattros for hire). I'm used to it now and know when I'm pushing it too much.

Indeed but I find the Golf GTI very disappointing nonetheless, the 0-69 was just a point. Too many people view the GTI as some sort of monster hatch that rips tarmac off the road because it's so quick from the lights...it's not. It's a poor car. Sorry GTI fans :)

I've had a blown turbo in mine, so I agree.

Just as a matter of interest what car beats the GTI for an all rounder? 200bhp, piss cheap to service, 2.0L tax, 30+mpg, 5 doors if needed....

Typical thread for this forum really, people listing 10 cars just because they don't like them personally. Probably never even drove them. Sigh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Typical thread for this forum really, people listing 10 cars just because they don't like them personally. Probably never even drove them. Sigh...

Touched a nerve did I? Aw, diddums, I'm sorry, it's a lovely car, really lovely. Better now? Give us a smile, go on. Good boy. :rolleyes:

Just don't like the GTI, never have, doubt I ever will. It's not all it's cracked up to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suprab1

Vw Golf, Most VW's actually "theyre a great reliable make" - me hole.

Alfa romeos: I just dont see it, they're ugly and piles of scrap, i reckon its a case of people taking everything that the Clarkson gobshyte says as gospel.

Korean cars.

Now here's someone who knows what there talking about. VW are junk IMO.
    1. All Toyotas - Avensis in particular handle like a boat
    2. Lexus IS200 - Horrid interior
    3. Most Alfas - Bizarre styling and also have a horrid interior

An Avensis wasn't designed to be a go kart. It was built for comfort, reliability & to be practical ect which imo it does very well.

Touched a nerve did I? Aw, diddums, I'm sorry, it's a lovely car, really lovely. Better now? Give us a smile, go on. Good boy. :rolleyes:

Just don't like the GTI, never have, doubt I ever will. It's not all it's cracked up to be.
    I never said it was a great car, I searched for months before I bought mine and couldn't find a better balance of power and practicality for 10k. Therefore I disagree that's it's overrated. I don't agree with your assessment that it's a poor car.

As for your condescending bull that you started your post with, well if that's the level of intelligence you can articulate in your posts then that's good for you. Dont bother replying to my posts if you can't post like an adult not a 10 year old trying to be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

gpf101 wrote: »
    I never said it was a great car, I searched for months before I bought mine and couldn't find a better balance of power and practicality for 10k. Therefore I disagree that's it's overrated. I don't agree with your assessment that it's a poor car.
    Looks like I did touch a nerve. It's okay for someone else to have a different opinion about your car than you do you know! Don't take it so personally. I spent a considerable amount of money on my car [Audi A3] (from new) and it's only a Golf with a better interior, four wheel drive and a 170PS engine. I love it and don't really care who else thinks it's the worst car on earth or who thinks it's the best car in the world. It suits me fine, fits my needs (right now) and that's all there is to it.

As for your condescending bull that you started your post with, well if that's the level of intelligence you can articulate in your posts then that's good for you. Dont bother replying to my posts if you can't post like an adult not a 10 year old trying to be funny.
    Well if you're going to make childish assumptions about whether people have or haven't driven a car just because they don't agree with your opinion on the car you own then expect to be treated like a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Absolute rubbish, I didnt once fail to get anywhere in the winter in the worst of the weather due to rwd and that was on summer tyres that were borderline legal thread wise.The driver is the reason they are parked up not the car.
    That claim has been made before, and IMO it's still nonsense. I tried an E90 with nearly new Continental summer tyres in the snow last year, and grip was simply too poor to be safe. Quite apart from not being able to get up any kind of an incline, braking and handling were also seriously compromised. Claiming that you can drive safely on snow in a RWD car on summer tyres is much the same as saying that you can drive home from the pub after eight pints. It may be technically true, but it's somewhere between a PITA and outright dangerous for other road users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ford Fiesta

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

gpf101 wrote: »
    Mine is a sport model, my arse agrees with your sentiment :D

That's something I think just needs getting used to, you won't pick that up in a weekend hire car (not that you'll get many quattros for hire). I'm used to it now and know when I'm pushing it too much.

Indeed but I find the Golf GTI very disappointing nonetheless, the 0-69 was just a point. Too many people view the GTI as some sort of monster hatch that rips tarmac off the road because it's so quick from the lights...it's not. It's a poor car. Sorry GTI fans :)

I've had a blown turbo in mine, so I agree.

Just as a matter of interest what car beats the GTI for an all rounder? 200bhp, piss cheap to service, 2.0L tax, 30+mpg, 5 doors if needed....

Pulsar VZR N1, Honda Integra Type r dc2 & dc5.

You might have trouble with the 5 doors alright

Seat cupra r also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

cronin_j wrote: »
    Pulsar VZR N1, Honda Integra Type r dc2 & dc5.

You might have trouble with the 5 doors alright

Seat cupra r also.

While I like most of those cars, not all would be as good an all rounder, and some would be a pain on a long commute. What the GTI gives up on in terms of driving ability against them it makes up for in different areas.

All depends on your priorities though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

BX 19 wrote: »
    Ford Fiesta
    expand... :rolleyes:

Looks like I did touch a nerve. It's okay for someone else to have a different opinion about your car than you do you know! Don't take it so personally. I spent a considerable amount of money on my car [Audi A3] (from new) and it's only a Golf with a better interior, four wheel drive and a 170PS engine. I love it and don't really care who else thinks it's the worst car on earth or who thinks it's the best car in the world. It suits me fine, fits my needs (right now) and that's all there is to it.

Well if you're going to make childish assumptions about whether people have or haven't driven a car just because they don't agree with your opinion on the car you own then expect to be treated like a child.

I don't know what your saying really. I never said the GTI was a Supercar. I said for the price I disagree with it being called a poor car. If you don't like it fair enough that's different and perfectly reasonable. I'm actually getting a bit tired of it now but I'll hold onto it until the summer and see then.

I don't particularly want a 2dr old ish Jap coupe as my daily driver and I couldn't afford a decent 3 series coupe that's why picked the GTI. I still havnt found something that ticks as many boxes as it. I'm sure I'll post up a thread asking for suggestions closer to the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatcartoget

Skoda Octavia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Skoda Octavia.

About 5 pages too late there;):):p

Anan1 wrote: »
    That claim has been made before, and IMO it's still nonsense. I tried an E90 with nearly new Continental summer tyres in the snow last year, and grip was simply too poor to be safe. Quite apart from not being able to get up any kind of an incline, braking and handling were also seriously compromised. Claiming that you can drive safely on snow in a RWD car on summer tyres is much the same as saying that you can drive home from the pub after eight pints. It may be technically true, but it's somewhere between a PITA and outright dangerous for other road users.

I never said it didn't involve plenty of fun but personally the only thing that would stop me is getting stuck, I would never decide not to drive somewhere because it might be a bit "hairy". There is a big difference between actually being unable to drive (which was the claim I was referring to) and not wanting to.

With the TC off and having a bit of a run I got up any hill I wanted. I only got stuck on one hill really where I had to stop half way meeting a tractor but once I reversed down and got a run at it I got up handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭goodstuff!

Vicxas wrote: »
    The Toyota Altezza, Horrid car
    Couldn't agree more. I've never been so let down by a car. 220bhp yamaha beams my arse!
    I bought one in Japan (stupidly:o) without driving one a few years ago. Everyone told me they were a fantastic car, lots of power, great handling etc. etc. They all must have moved from 1 litre fiesta's to be of that opinion.
    We had a 1.4 clio at home at the time and i found it a better all rounder.
    I had to drive another one to be sure and yes, they're ALL crap!!
    Heavy on the juice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I never said it didn't involve plenty of fun but personally the only thing that would stop me is getting stuck, I would never decide not to drive somewhere because it might be a bit "hairy".
    I got stuck behind a Porsche Boxster with a similar outlook last year, and TBH it's pure selfishness. I mean, how would you feel if I crawled around in front of you at 20km/h during the summer, having my 'fun'?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    I got stuck behind a Porsche Boxster with a similar outlook last year, and TBH it's pure selfishness. I mean, how would you feel if I crawled around in front of you at 20km/h during the summer, having my 'fun'?

Well I was driving as fast as anyone else I encountered during the cold spell, I certainly wasn't holding anyone up. I was held up myself actually by people driving too slow on gritted roads.

On the back roads around me everyone was crawling regardless of what they were driving and on the gritted roads I was always keeping with the flow.

I'm not arguing that it would be easier in a fwd car there is no doubt or that it would not be much better with winter tyres, I'm just saying that a blanket statement (by another poster) that bmw's have to be parked up for 3 months because of snow is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Anyone seen their car in this thread yet and are quietly seething? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The e46 3series is not small and cramped. You can comfortably fit 4 adults in the car with loads of leg room for both front and rear passengers. people are actually very surprised at the rear leg room in my car considering its a coupe. With 5 people the only real problem is the drive shaft is in the way a bit but I've traveled long journeys with 5 and had no complaints.

Ha ha, you have to be joking, I'm 5ft 11" and have to have my legs amputated to fit in the back. Unless you're buddies with 7 dwarves, its a horribly cramped cabin. Average in the front, awful in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

Unless you're buddies with 7 dwarves, its a horribly cramped cabin. Average in the front, awful in the back.

As in the 7 dwarfs on that fly on the wall documentary they've been showing. Like that lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

RoverJames wrote: »
    For the last few years the Impreza has been like that

I reckon original, unmolested Impreza Turbo's will be worth a few quid in years to come, because it has to be said that there are very few of them around.

Regarding overrated cars, I think this is definitely one:

Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-W211-041.JPG

They ride extremely well, but that is really it. Other than that the engines are average and the build quality feels typical late 90's/early '00 Merc. The styling is also incredibly bland and hasn't aged well at all.

Ha ha, you have to be joking, I'm 5ft 11" and have to have my legs amputated to fit in the back. Unless you're buddies with 7 dwarves, its a horribly cramped cabin. Average in the front, awful in the back.

All 5ft 10" or taller and never had a problem. Sitting in the back of a Celica or a 200sx now that's cramped!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Suprab1 wrote: »
    Now here's someone who knows what there talking about. VW are junk IMO.

An Avensis wasn't designed to be a go kart. It was built for comfort, reliability & to be practical ect which imo it does very well.

They weren't designed to body roll like a cruise liner either but they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

galwaytt wrote: »
    Nope, disagree. Had 2 of them. Wish I kept one.

Maybe the one you drove was a dog ?

Whether you look like a prat getting out of the car has no bearing the car - how were you alighting from it - some sort of double-reverse sumersault or something ?? :confused:

1.6 petrol passatt (B5) is a dog (underpowered).
    1.9tdi (105) b6 weighs the better part of 1700kg, so is underpowered and is heavy and dull to drive.

Both are well made, strong, comfortable, but never inspire you to drive for the sake of driving.

re tt, it's very low, so if you had to get out at the kerb side it was a brute as you are climbing up, common to any low car though. As for the tt's image, for a bloke, Pink shirts and oakleys....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

They weren't designed to body roll like a cruise liner either but they do.

Come on, the Avensis isn't that bad. It's no sports car, but "body roll like a cruise liner" is something that you'd expect from Clarkson.

Had an Avensis Tourer for a few days a couple of months ago, and it has less body roll than my Accord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i will hop on with A4 too.

add to the list: any BMW 316 318 518 520d 320d

dunno about twincam... i like them, but they are way overpriced. just a few bits way its so popular:

1. Cheap TAX
    2. Simple to fix
    3. perfect for engine modding as it does not need CO test for nct. ( best part )

Lightning does not like twincam, becouse it can drift. if he would be president, he would ban RWD cars. ;)

saying this, if i would pick mx5 over twincam any day. Bouth RWD,light,small, but mx5 is way more fun and no one cares about it, so you dont get attention, that you dont want.

Advertisement