Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some of Todays Wrestling News and Rumours (Possible spoilers) ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

How much was that affected by The Network though?
    Supposedly they got 400k for Wrestlemania this year, from what I could gathter that was the domestic rate which is usually about 700-900k of the total buys

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

These three, 2011 especially (which had nothing else going for it whatsoever and the year before flopped big time), are almost entirely down to the Rock to the point that I dunno if it's a fair to use them as a stick to beat Batista with

Woah where'd that come from! I'm not knocking him - WM21 was the peak of his career.
    How much was that affected by The Network though?

None since it's 2013!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Anyone get the new FSM? Reading the piece by Lionheart (British wrestler who suffered a very serious neck injury from taking AJ Style's clash move) was tugging at my heartstrings. It was a tough read but highly recommended. He had some good advice about people taking the move.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Lock the drinks cabinet:
    WWE Hall Of Fame “Nature Boy” Ric Flair is scheduled to make his television return to the company on next week’s edition of WWE RAW, which takes place on Monday night, April 28th from St. Louis, Missouri.

One would assume that Flair will be coming in to take part in the ongoing storyline between Evolution, which he used to be a member of, and The Shield. It should be noted, however, that the original plan called for Flair not to be involved in the angle.

PWInsider

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

rovert wrote: »
    Lock the drinks cabinet:

PWInsider

I say leave it open :)

Once I see a suit jacket getting an elbow drop Ill be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Woah where'd that come from! I'm not knocking him - WM21 was the peak of his career.

None since it's 2013!

*looks again and sees 21 not 31*

This is why I shouldn't come onto Boards tired

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Just FYI WrestleMania 21 drew 983k which is below 2004, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013 in the last decade. Generally you'd expect Mania to get 1.1-1.2m.

No it didn't. I'm not sure where you read that.

It drew 1,090,000 buys according to the Wrestling Observer. And that was in a time when the PPV universe was much smaller owing to the lack of international buys. Considering the shows which have drawn bigger than 21 were headlined by outsiders in Trump and Rock and the international markets accounted for a bigger chunk of those numbers, you can make a very solid argument Batista was the biggest main roster draw in the last decade of Wrestlemania's.

Wrestlemanias which didn't have outside help, like 25 & 26, had a bigger PPV universe and drew way less.

1. Wrestlemania 23 (4/1/07): 1,250,000 buys
    2. Wrestlemania 28 (4/1/12): 1,219,000 buys
    3. Wrestlemania 27 (4/3/11): 1,124,000 buys
    4. Wrestlemania 21 (4/3/05): 1,090,000 buys
    5. Wrestlemania 24 (3/30/08): 1,041,000 buys
    6. Wrestlemania 17 (4/1/01): 1,040,000 buys
    7. Wrestlemania 29 (4/07/13): 1.039,000 buys
    8. Wrestlemania 20 (3/15/04): 1,020,000 buys

Meltzer wrote this about Big Dave a couple months back before his return:

"Batista vs. HHH was the company’s best long-term storyline for business of the past decade. It was the turn of Batista against HHH, a slow burn that started in late 2004, which got over bigger. Creative wanted to have them wrestle immediately, but HHH insisted the match be held off until WrestleMania, on April 3, 2005, in Los Angeles at the Staples Center.

It would end up becoming the largest grossing pro wrestling event of all-time at the time, doing 1,090,000 worldwide buys. Without a doubt, it was the hottest program WWE had that didn’t involve an outsider being brought in, as the only ones that drew bigger were the Vince McMahon vs. Donald Trump hair vs. hair program in 2007 and the three-year-old Rock vs. John Cena scenario."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Anyone get the new FSM? Reading the piece by Lionheart (British wrestler who suffered a very serious neck injury from taking AJ Style's clash move) was tugging at my heartstrings. It was a tough read but highly recommended. He had some good advice about people taking the move.

Does he say how/why the move went wrong? Was strange how 2 talents (himself and Roderick Strong) got injured from such a well known move in such a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I remember the hell in a cell match being one of the best HIAC matches too. HHH really got the best out of Batista.

The feud with HHH, Undertaker, his heel run in 2010, Batista's had plenty of good feuds. He still sucks though :pac:

• Advertisement

Edge feud featured some really strong matches too. His chemistry with Taker was awesome.

With the wrong guy he could have some real stinkers though.

Does he say how/why the move went wrong? Was strange how 2 talents (himself and Roderick Strong) got injured from such a well known move in such a short space of time.

He says that instead of extending his neck upward, he tucked his head downwards as wrestlers instinctively do when taking a bump. He suggests that AJ should do a dry run with someone who hasn't taken the move or is apprehensive about it.

Hmm. I have nothing against the dude, and I can totally understand the instinct of tucking your head when you are in what is traditionally 'piledriver' position, but I don't see it as incumbent upon AJ to ask everyone he's going to work with "Are you nervous about taking my finish? Do you want to do a run through?". If he was nervous, it might have been prudent for him to ask AJ could they do that.

Plus in the Roderick Strong case, he'd taken the move a dozen times and just forgot how and instinctively tucked.

Monokne wrote: »
    Hmm. I have nothing against the dude, and I can totally understand the instinct of tucking your head when you are in what is traditionally 'piledriver' position, but I don't see it as incumbent upon AJ to ask everyone he's going to work with "Are you nervous about taking my finish? Do you want to do a run through?". If he was nervous, it might have been prudent for him to ask AJ could they do that.

But as said in the column there's silly culture of not asking Vets too many questions and stuff like that.

As I said on Twitter the article did make me regret my attitude towards manual handling training in work which previously I encountered like Kevin The Teenager.

Fair point.

How bad are his injuries?

Neck fracture in two places, nerve and tissue damage. Doctors told him he could have been killed.

That's really very sad.

Penny for AJ's thoughts.

Monokne wrote: »
    That's really very sad.

Penny for AJ's thoughts.

If his comments after Roderick Strong are anything to go by I'd say he feels he did no wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Thought he sounded like a d*ck about it even if it wasn't his fault. I'm sure it isn't nice to be blamed for something like that in the wrong though.

Someone was discussing Wrestlemania buys recently so....

6CuSWQ.png

Historically, the "North America" number was both Canada & United States & Puerto Rico while the International number was all other terriotires. The big bump at WM21 was driven by adding the PPV in the UK Market.

http://indeedwrestling.blogspot.ie/2014/04/wrestlemania-buys-1985-2013.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Someone was discussing Wrestlemania buys recently so....

6CuSWQ.png

http://indeedwrestling.blogspot.ie/2014/04/wrestlemania-buys-1985-2013.html

Why was the figures so low at WM19???

beakerjoe wrote: »

One reason is because Hulk Hogan vs Vince McMahon was heavily promoted as the main event ahead of everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,000 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

One reason is because Hulk Hogan vs Vince McMahon was heavily promoted as the main event ahead of everything else.

I think Brock and Kurt were given the blame for it bombing.

Rjd2 wrote: »

They were? Odd since that match was almost pulled at one point due to Kurt's neck - he had numbness in his fingers going into the match. They even sort of gave away the match on Smackdown two weeks prior with the screwy angle using Kurt's brother. Plan was to do a title switch on SD and then put Benoit vs Lesnar on at Mania.

Afaik Austin/Rock was at one point going to go on last until Austin went to hospital with a panic attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Rjd2 wrote: »

Brock and Kurt wouldn't have inspired your casual fan. the last year had Rock v Hogan as an attraction, and obviously Austin v Rock at 17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

beakerjoe wrote: »
    A really strong card but it had a seriously misguided guess at what would be a big headline draw in Vince vs Hogan.
    See also: Vince vs Bret at 26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

you gotta wonder how bad the buyrates would have been without the network.
    I can't imagine a huge amount of those 667,000 would have paid full price for Mania.

Awful week for all things Daniel Bryan related:

His most well known Make A Wish kid seems to have passed away:
    Connor was a true, fighting champion that captured the hearts of everyone he encountered. Thank you for letting me be a part of your journey, you will be missed.

http://instagram.com/p/nOBs_OMcAu/

RIP Connor aka Stone Crusher

Great kid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

After Tito Vilanova passing away, it's been a really sad day really. I appreciate I didn't know these people personally but best wishes to all concerned. I'm training to be a doctor and have spent some time on cancer wards, it's both humbling, scary and inspiring.

• Advertisement

How WWE handled the "Daniel Bryan tour" without Daniel Bryan:
    Here are last night's WWE results from Toronto.

Dolph Ziggler Def. Alberto Del Rio.

Nikki Bella Def. Alicia Fox.

Bad News Barrett Def. Rob Van Dam in a Preview Match for this week's RAW.

Sin Cara Def. Damien Sandow.

Kofi Kingston Def. Titus O'Neil.

Alexader Rusev (with Lana) Def. Zack Ryder.

6 Man Tag Team Street Fight Match:

The Shield Def. The Wyatt Family.
    The Street Fight Match was the Match of the night of the crowd loved both The Shield and The Wyatts. The end of the match saw The Shield Triple Powerbomb Erick Rowan through a table and pin him for the win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement