Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you had a bike stolen

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Probably from a report to the Garda station when it was stolen. Great to hear it was recovered. That must have felt real sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭LeotheLion

I had a u-lock and cablelock(fairly decent cable lock)
    I tought it would be safe beside a security hut in the grounds of a hospital and busy street with people walking past,....

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

LeotheLion wrote: »
    I had a u-lock and cablelock(fairly decent cable lock)
    I tought it would be safe beside a security hut in the grounds of a hospital and busy street with people walking past,....

Would it be fair to say from your description of the theft that both locks weren't around the frame?

I ask because there's relatively little point in using a lock to secure a wheel which can itself be separated from the frame with ease.

(My sympathies with your loss, however.)

the long cable lock was around the frame and back wheel, the u lock was around the front wheel...
    the point is that in a place like that right beside a security hut in a hospital grounds you should be able to leave a bike there with out any locks..

yes maybe I should have locked front wheel and frame,,but at 7:30 in the morning you dont think that it would ever happen in a place like that...
    anyway I will be using u-locks on every part of my bike in future in Town

rflynnr wrote: »
    Would it be fair to say from your description of the theft that both locks weren't around the frame?

I ask because there's relatively little point in using a lock to secure a wheel which can itself be separated from the frame with ease.

(My sympathies with your loss, however.)

Yes but I seen the cable lock around frame and back wheel as safe enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Which is the best lock to get and should multiple locks be used?

Piste wrote: »

Lot of people swear by the Kryptonite brand.

The idea behind using multiple locks (as in, a cable and a U-lock) is that the thief would have to carry multiple tools and they're unlikely to do that, but saying that if someone wants your bike enough (and don't care about the noise) all they'd have to do is get an angle grinder and whip the locks off.

I'm sure there's a wiki page on this somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

The other aspect (though it may sound bad) is that you don't have to have a completely undefeatable lock system, you just need it to be better than the bike beside yours.

Make it look like it'll take too much time/effort to steal and thieves will generally either not bother or find an easier target - plenty of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Piste wrote: »

I've used a Kryptonie New York for the last few years and it's never let me down.

D_230%20KRYFG6.jpg

Hefty mo fo.

If anyone's had this busted, I'd like to know how. It's about €70 from chainreaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

eightyfish wrote: »
    I've used a Kryptonie New York for the last few years and it's never let me down.

That is the daddy.

The smaller Kryptonite Evolution Mini is very good too, and will fit in your hipster jeans pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Silverfox

My Trek 7 was stolen two days ago from Dundrum Main St. Panniers attached. I'm a student and I can't afford public transport or a replacement so now I'm really stuck. Bike thieves are the lowest of the low. They don't care about the effects of what they do. It's disgraceful that one can't buy a nice bike without the risk of theft increasing exponentially. The Gardai need to do something more to combat this 'petty' crime. The government wants us to cycle but with all the thefts, the cost is just too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

have had a good few stolen over the last 10 years.
    Not for a while though.

Using a BBB u-lock. Which I know has withstood two attempts.

The first, not really sure when, but became aware of a "dent" (not kinked but curved in) on the frame post just above the front sprocket.

The second, popped in to get a kabab on south richmond st, and heard a strange noise outside (it was locked about 40 meters down from the shop) and assumed it was some lads acting the mick.
    Came out a few mins later to see my bike turned upside down. The u-lock had bent and the key mechanism was damaged, and the lock would not open. I could see about 3 or 4 lads up at the bridge acting the eejits , but funnly enough was not feeling so brave.

Called the cops (rang kevin st directly) and after some messing about , they sent a car around with a medium sized bolt cutters , 3ft perhaps.( they would not try, but let me work away.) But could not get through it with that. I know from a previous incidicent that a big bolt cutters will get through it. Hardly made a mark.
    Naturally it was the end of their shift, and south richmond st is not really their area, so after a trip to a different cop shop, one of the lads got the jack out of the car, and after some creaking .... the jack broke.

The fire brigade made short work of it with a mo-fo of an angle grinder.

Another big dent in the upright post. Bought the same lock again.
    Wont be locking up on Richmond st again.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mgbgt0_0

A

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mgbgt0_0

Looks like they are back again
    Passed there today and they had some bikes outside which included a blue olmo

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Had the quick release pin from my front wheel taken five feet from the door of the café on Liffey Street I was in 2 weeks ago.

Before anyone starts :cool: I was a couple of feet away and back wheel and frame were locked to a lampost with a AAA Gold Abus.

The young lads that took it were on a side street and dropped it and legged it when I approached.

Anyway, if I'm locking a bike in the area now (or any area in the city) I'll always go for the multi-storey car parks. The ones on Drury st. and Jervis st. have bike areas and security guards.

Has there been a theft from the bike park in Drury st. does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 LostAussie

I had my hybrid, matt-black Radford Speedster taken on Saturday night, right out the front of the Ilac Centre on Parnell St. It was nicked between 7pm & midnight, along with about 3 or 4 others that were nearby I think. It only had a cheapo coiled, plastic covered steel cable lock which had been snipped with bolt-cutters.
    3 x local Gards doing the beat walked past just after I discovered it was gone and didn't seem to care too much, 'Oh yeah, nicked was it? Yeah, a lot of that round here.' Either that or they knew I was out on the town for the night and would rather file a report the next day. ;)

My wife's Universal Stowaway folding bike was taken back in June from the front yard of the school she works at in Ballsbridge. Hers was taken in the middle of the day, some time between midday and 3pm with many people around.

She has since seen a black van with blacked out windows illegally parked beside the school, which then drove away immediately after she appeared outside the building. A week or so later the van was there again with the shady looking driver & passenger hanging about near the ticket machine, but not buying a ticket. As soon as she had walked past them and waited in the front yard of the school with another teacher, the fellas get back in the van and leave.
    Shifty characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

LostAussie wrote: »
    Shifty characters.

If she genuinely thinks they're dodgy and has a registration number, and descriptions for the van and for the occupants then I'd guess that it might be worth reporting (even if only to the school principal in the first instance). A couple of 'shifty characters' hanging around a school is something that the authorities might want to take an interest in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 LostAussie

have reported the van to the gards in Rathmines this morning. It had Meath plates but hasn't been noticed for a couple of weeks now.

Advertisement