Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A nice little car, Fiat Punto

• 12-05-2014 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭

So one of my workmates arrived in this morning driving a new 141 Fiat Punto Easy, have to say I was really impressed, haven't driven it yet but really like the interior / exterior styling, think it looks really well. 1.2L petrol, comes with a 5 year warranty.

I'll probably be looking for something small towards the end of this year, had a look recently at the new Clio & Fiesta & I think the Punto compares very favourably.

It's well priced too, don't know much about reliability but surely one to consider.

Anybody have one & how do you find it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

So one of my workmates arrived in this morning driving a new 141 Fiat Punto Easy, have to say I was really impressed, haven't driven it yet but really like the interior / exterior styling, think it looks really well. 1.2L petrol, comes with a 5 year warranty.

I'll probably be looking for something small towards the end of this year, had a look recently at the new Clio & Fiesta & I think the Punto compares very favourably.

It's well priced too, don't know much about reliability but surely one to consider.

Anybody have one & how do you find it?
    How much did it cost your co worker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

15,995 straight deal all in, got a few add ons like air-con, met paint, full size spare & a couple of other bits, tax for the year (200) cheque back also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

He will struggle to 50% back for that car in 24 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Phil_Lives wrote: »
    He will struggle to 50% back for that car in 24 months time.

Same for most brand new cars though. Can't really use that as a point against the Punto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭vandriver

8 grand for a two year old one so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The current Punto is a mild reworking of the Punto Evo which itself was a a mild reworking of the Grande Punto dating back to 2005. It's getting on in years in terms of car design. If I were in the market for a supermini right now, I'd be all over the current Renault Clio. It's the best looking supermini by a country mile and has a good range of engines as well as massive interior space, the wheelbase is a shade under 102" which is longer than that of the first and second generations of the Skoda Octavia.

2014 Puntos can be purchased with clima and devliery miles for 8600 in Germany.
    16000 is crazy money even allowing for VRT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

I would have opted for a Peugeot 208, if I Wanted a small new car

Depreciation wouldn't worry me too much as I'd plan to get many years out of it, I wasn't mad about the Clio interior, too shiny or something but it does tick a lot of box's & does look very well from the outside I agree

Dia1988 wrote: »
    I would have opted for a Peugeot 208, if I Wanted a small new car
    Agreed on 208. Very refined for a 1 litre and easy on fuel. Had the 208 in February as a hire car and was impressed by it considering what it is. Clio is good option too and you've got the i10 making a very strong case for itself from the class below.
    Latest Micra even after the recent facelift is a hateful buzzbox; that was my last hire car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Punto shares the same platform and some engines with the Opel Corsa. The Punto hasn't changed much in the 8 years it has been on sale. There is a new Corsa out towards the end of this year so an all new Punto cannot be too far behind. They would want to be doing super deals on the current one to be anyway tempting given the age of the model and lack of popularity here.

Cannot wait for the new Fiat 127 to go on sale! Thatll bring Fiat up a notch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Isn't the Honda jazz around the 15-16k mark. I'd have one of them over a punto tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

They are a fantastic used car buy imo.

Buying new though? Not so much. And this is from someone who likes Fiats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Tbh I wouldn't recommend the Clio 1.2l after taking an extended test drive. It's dangerously under powered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Its a car that is overdue retirement. Wouldn't buy it new better of looking for one a few years old with low mileage.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Tbh I wouldn't recommend the Clio 1.2l after taking an extended test drive. It's dangerously under powered.

How bad was it, I'll be looking for something new, 98% of the time only me in it tipping around the town

How bad was it, I'll be looking for something new, 98% of the time only me in it tipping around the town

It would be fine for just tipping about but you wouldn't want to overtake anything on an open road. I really found the engine struggled. I did test drive a DCI which was a lovely, if expensive, car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

A brand new suzuki swift at 12995 would seem a better buy and surely worth more than 50% of 13 k in two years time ?

Edit it's 13995

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Bigus wrote: »
    A brand new suzuki swift at 12995 would seem a better buy and surely worth more than 50% of 13 k in two years time ?

Edit it's 13995

Excellent car for the money.

• Advertisement

Bigus wrote: »

Edit it's 13995

If you want 5 door though you are up to 14995 plus I assume delivery & related charges, moneywise there isn't a lot between all of those mentioned in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I would be so mad now if I had just bought a 141 Punto with everyone not having a good word to say about them plus offering much better alternative cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

I wouldn't buy one again,had a new one in 98 and another in 02 and nothing but niggles with both.

Dia1988 wrote: »
    I would be so mad now if I had just bought a 141 Punto with everyone not having a good word to say about them plus offering much better alternative cars!

He is not aware of this thread and anyway, he is happy with his purchase so that's all that matters I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ba_barabus wrote: »

Yea seen a lot of these around. They look fanatastic but are a biggish car now. Same size as previous genereation Golfs I'd wager. The 1.2 is probabky way underpowered now given the growth in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

He is not aware of this thread and anyway, he is happy with his purchase so that's all that matters I suppose

Absolutely. Happy motoring to the chap.

road_high wrote: »
    Yea seen a lot of these around. They look fanatastic but are a biggish car now. Same size as previous genereation Golfs I'd wager. The 1.2 is probabky way underpowered now given the growth in size.
    That's pretty much it. There is nothing wrong with the 1.2, I loved it in the Clio MK2's but the cars are just too big for it and its geared for emissions now and not drivability. I also think the drivers view out of the new Clio is awful for a city car if you're looking anywhere other than dead ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

If you want 5 door though you are up to 14995 plus I assume delivery & related charges, moneywise there isn't a lot between all of those mentioned in this thread

Yeah but ones a Fiat and ones a suzuki and the 5 dr is still cheaper and not a Fiat, don't get me wrong , I like fiats but only secondhand fate somebody else has suffered the depreciation.

Here's a 2010 Punto for 5500 asking only 48 k miles

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-grand-punto-2010-1-2-engine/6857797

29067527.jpeg

• Advertisement
Advertisement