Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Coláiste Éireannach

• 31-03-2015 10:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭

I have been watching a BBC Two series on the history of the Irish Colleges on the continent by Dr Art Hughes. I would seriously recommend it. What strikes me is how neglected this part of Irish history is. There is major interest in history in Ireland but anything prior to the 1840s is woefully under-covered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

The interesting thing about these colleges is how they tied into the end of Classical Irish as a literary language and how many of the last authors of the old poetic tradition were trained in them.

An interesting example is Bonabhantúr Ó hEoghasa, who wrote the first grammar of classical Irish intended for a European audience. In order to get it accepted he fit Irish to Latin grammar, such as saying it had five declensions where it has over twice that amount. However his model of Irish grammar and phonology went on to be used after independence, even though it is a purposeful simplification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

What I remember about the one in Paris was Liam Swords in a very tumbledown Irish College in the rue des Irlandaises and "Failte à Paris" which was the 1990's version of a very useful book for expats. including myself!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Thanks to the OP for link. From European history, Ireland geographical location on the periphery would have been marginised its impact on the continent's politics. But the colleges would have provided a gathering point for traders with links to the continent and within the realm of Christendom a means to be part of the wider civilisation of that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Interesting article in The Irish Times this morning about the Irish College in Prague:

‘Unruly, fractious, disreputable’ – Irish Franciscans in Prague

I visited the Irish College in Leuven some years ago and was moved by this on the main entrance.

Advertisement