Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ennio Morricone @ Kilmainham, July 28th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Ive never been to a gig in Kilmainham before- Is the venue mostly grass? It probably will be muddy if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭argentum

first of all there is no dress code..it's Ireland dress for 4 seasons in one day and you should be ok
    The ground around the seating area is grass as is the food area but the seats themselves are normally on white plastic matting to even out the bumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 The original Daithi Lacha

argentum wrote: »
    first of all there is no dress code..it's Ireland dress for 4 seasons in one day and you should be ok
    The ground around the seating area is grass as is the food area but the seats themselves are normally on white plastic matting to even out the bumps.

Thanks Argentum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

What's the story with parking? Also not sure if I am going to Cinema Paridiso as I am not sure how it will play out in the sun also I am not sure if I could take all that Sax and Violins.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

I hope Cinema Paradiso, and the whole gig, plays out on a fine July evening. It's going to be incredible. I'm a bit apprehensive about what the weather will be like. Fingers crossed a thunder storm won't break, although the soundtrack to one could be awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Does anyone know where I can park nearby?

Ticketmaster doesn't say much:
    Parking
    Parking is available at various locations close to Royal Hospital Kilmainham. Check back for updates over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭argentum

Have to say that to me i left a little bit disappointed with the choice of music played.I know its not a greatest hits tour even though the posters listed a lot of music that just wasn't played.Gabriels oboe was just thrown in without even a pause for a round of applause.But for me, for him to play two pieces to finish the night that had already been played was unforgiveable.If he's managed to write the score for over 500 movies/tv shows the least he could do is not repeat 2 songs in less than 20 minutes.I could live with him walking off all the time at the end only to turn around and come back on but not the repeats.
    I'm going again tomorrow hopefully he plays a different set like Bruce :D

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Hi All, Heading to this tonight from down the country and was wondering did the concert start bang on 5:30 as noted on the tickets. I am finishing work late and will be hitting Dublin about 4:30 (I hope). Also, how was parking around the ground? Thanks a million for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Gates open 5.30pm
    Food & refreshments available
    6.00pm-8.00pm screening of the film ‘Cinema Paradiso’
    8.15pm-8.30pm – Maestro Ennio Morricone due on stage
    10.45pm – show ends

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭ponceprhea

Can you enter the grounds from any entrance as the one nearest the Hilton hotel is best for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Have to say that to me i left a little bit disappointed with the choice of music played.I know its not a greatest hits tour even though the posters listed a lot of music that just wasn't played.Gabriels oboe was just thrown in without even a pause for a round of applause.But for me, for him to play two pieces to finish the night that had already been played was unforgiveable.If he's managed to write the score for over 500 movies/tv shows the least he could do is not repeat 2 songs in less than 20 minutes.I could live with him walking off all the time at the end only to turn around and come back on but not the repeats.

His encores nearly always feature pieces from the main setlist. No surprise there. Tonights setlist will be identical to last night I'd say. What popular pieces from the posters did he not play?

What was the sound quality like?

A bit harsh, I was there and thought it was a magnificent achievement arranging music for a 100 piece orchestra and a local choir that had not sung with him before. I dont know what you were expecting from a man at 84 years of age! Tonight will be the exact same except wetter, so bring a mac. We were to the left of the stage and initially I was dissapointed because of the sound of the generator, but that soon was forgotten when the sound levels on stage went up. A truly wonderful night, never to be forgotten. As for parking I parked around the corner from the main entrance and was in the local pub in Ballinasloe by 12! The film started around 6:15 and Ennio came on around 8:35 and finished after 4 encores at 10:30.

patmac wrote: »
    A bit harsh, I was there and thought it was a magnificent achievement arranging music for a 100 piece orchestra and a local choir that had not sung with him before. I dont know what you were expecting from a man at 84 years of age! Tonight will be the exact same except wetter, so bring a mac. We were to the left of the stage and initially I was dissapointed because of the sound of the generator, but that soon was forgotten when the sound levels on stage went up. A truly wonderful night, never to be forgotten. As for parking I parked around the corner from the main entrance and was in the local pub in Ballinasloe by 12! The film started around 6:15 and Ennio came on around 8:35 and finished after 4 encores at 10:30.

Did you park near the Hilton hotel entrance or on military road?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

Does the orchestra do a live score of the film or is it just shown as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

ponceprhea wrote: »
    Can you enter the grounds from any entrance as the one nearest the Hilton hotel is best for me?
    Access to the concert venue is through the East Gate via Military Road only.

in fact here's their full email.
    Customer Services Phone Numbers:

Republic of Ireland: 0818 903001
    Northern Ireland & UK: 0844 277 9964
    International Customers: 00 353 818 903001

Opening Hours: Monday to Saturday 09.30 to 18.00

For frequently asked questions, click here.
    Box Office Information

If you selected Box Office Collection, your tickets will be available for collection on the day of the concert. The Box Office will be open from 13:00 and will be located near the entrance to the IMMA Royal Hospital, Kilmainham.

Please bring a valid form of ID and the credit/debit card used to purchase the tickets in addition to the Ticketmaster reference number as proof of purchase.

Event Information

ENNIO MORRICONE
    Royal Hosptial Kilmainham, Dublin

Saturday 27 & Sunday 28 July 2013

Gates open 5.30pm
    Food & refreshments available
    6.00pm-8.00pm screening of the film ‘Cinema Paradiso’
    8.15pm-8.30pm – Maestro Ennio Morricone due on stage
    10.45pm – show ends

Advice to Patrons

•Note that admission is strictly by full ticket only. Please have your ticket available for inspection at main entrance to the venue.

•The concert takes place outdoors on the grounds (grass lawns) of the ROYAL HOSPITAL KILMAINHAM. It is a fully seated show. Attendees should dress appropriately for the weather and are advised to bring weatherproof clothing.

-Access to the concert venue is through the East Gate via Military Road only.

-Note there is no parking at the venue. Concert goers are advised to take public transport. Luas: Red Line to Hueston Station ,10 min walk via Military Road. Or Buses: No 68 or 79 from Aston Quay.

•Disabled Access/Facilities - Vehicles with a disability badge will be permitted to approach the concerts via Military Road or Bow Lane where they will be directed to the East Gate and from there to the Disabled Car Park. Accessible Sanitary facilities will be provided.

•Note that catering facilities are available

-No umbrellas in the seated auditorium

-Bags may be checked.

•Note that bar facilities are available; photo ID may be requested for sale of alcohol.

•A First Aid Tent will be situated at the event for any medical attention needed, a steward will assist you in locating it if required.

•Notify a steward, member of the Garda or official if you see any anti-social behaviour. Ask for help if you need it and help others.

•Note that patrons may be searched on entry in a manner permissible by law.

•If patrons leave the venue they cannot be re-admitted.

•Note that alcohol should be consumed in moderation.

•Note that Programmes & Official Merchandise will be on sale within the venue

•It is not permissible to bring bottles, cans, alcoholic beverages, glass containers, weapons of any sort or projectiles. Anything that may be considered offensive will be removed from the person on arrival.

•It is not permissible to bring cameras or recording equipment into the concert

-Please respect the privacy and property of residents of the Irish Museum of Modern Art and those in the vicinity of the Royal Hospital Kilmainham, particularly when accessing and leaving the venue.

PLEASE TAKE THE ADVICE OF STEWARDS AND GARDAI

Thank you for your assistance - we hope you enjoy the event.

Kind Regards,

Ticketmaster Customer Services

Did you park near the Hilton hotel entrance or on military road?

Military Road turned left at four star Pizza

chopser wrote: »
    Does the orchestra do a live score of the film or is it just shown as normal?

No just showing the film on the big screen

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

I bought a programme on Saturday and it includes a single set list for both nights. On Saturday, Morricone followed the set list exactly. As noted in some other posts, he repeated two of the items for his encores. This suggests to me that the Sunday concert will be identical.

I thought the concert was magnificent. I was familiar with about half the pieces played. The ones I did not know were brilliant and I intend to get the recordings asap. The orchestra and chorus were outstanding. I can understand that even a group of musicians as large as this one would have developed a tight ensemble having played this repertoire many times. However, I was particularly impressed with the Dublin Gospel Choir who blended in so well with the orchestra, even though they can't have had much time together for rehearsals. Individual musicians were superb and it's hard to single any of them out for particular praise. I must mention the soprano Susanna Rigacci though. She contributed her wordless vocals to some of the pieces, notably Ecstasy of Gold. That number alone was almost worth the price of admission. The performance was far better than the original and brought the hairs on the back of my neck to attention. I was delighted when he played it again during the encores. Overall, the sound was brilliant, with every instrument and voice balanced in the mix, not too loud or too soft.

It's true that, with repeats in the encores, the concert lasted only about 90 minutes. But for me it was worth it to hear the world's greatest living film composer in such terrific performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

how were under-foot conditions last night? were there any showers?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

roll wrote: »
    how were under-foot conditions last night? were there any showers?

The rain stayed away last night. The seating area has a covering over the grass. There is large open space behind the seats with lots of food and drink stalls. If it's dry you could sit on the grass there as the sound carries right back from the stage and there are large screens displaying close-ups of the musicians.

Anyone taking pics? How strict were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

I hope this deluge rains itself out! Bucketing down out there.

All it needs is a crack of lightning. I feel it in the air.

I hope this deluge rains itself out! Bucketing down out there.

All it needs is a crack of lightning. I feel it in the air.

4 hours to go, come on sun!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Anyone taking pics? How strict were they?

I saw loads of people taking pictures, also saw people sitting on the grass in the grounds of Kilmainham so if you know of anyone looking for a budget evening get them to go along to it. There were people sitting beside the barrier as you weren't asked to produce tickets until last minute and they could hear everything perfectly but just couldn't see anything. I'd love to go again and sit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Feeded

Evening all...I was at the show last night...brilliant show...a friend gave me another ticket for tonight (Sunday) but i couldn't use it...had to rush home this evening but left the ticket with the concierge at the Burlington Hotel on Sussex Street/Leeson Street... i asked him to find someone that would like an evening out...there's only one and it's for tonight....sorry for the late post but if anyone is interested, check with the concierge and see if it's still there...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Absolutely loved it, despite the rain that making part two of Cinema Paradiso rather miserable. Amazing set of songs, diverse and dynamic. Thought the choir was being oddly underused for a majority of the gig, but then boom, those last couple of songs were simply breathtaking (On Earth As It Is In Heaven was bordering on the transcendent). Perfect length as well IMO, even if a few personal favourites didn't make the cut. Who cares when the chosen songbook is as pitch perfect as the one here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yup, that was amazing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Really enjoyed the gig tonight. Couldn't have asked for more really (well maybe better weather)! Deborah's theme was a standout for me but i've always loved that anyways. The good the bad and the ugly was deadly aswell,as was On earth as it is in heaven. There was a lot of really good pieces in it in fairness.

Someone was asking about was it ok takin pics. Yeah it was great-i was filmin away for a few of them anyways and seen a good few other people at the same. Thought Kilmainham was a great venue too. That was my first time bein at a concert there and would definitely go back.

Advertisement