Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pet Hate - Unfiltered Americanisms

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

In fairness to the OP, this thread has gone off the original, very well defined, topic of unfiltered Americanisms.

A lot of people have ignored the unfiltered bit, and just ranted about Americanisms and Britishisms in general.

I agree that language evolves and that other cultures will impact on ours. It is both a good and bad thing. Finding the proper balance is important and that is what the filter is needed for.

Well, you get unfiltered everything-isms used inappropriately in normal speech!
    Also, a large % of people are just not very intelligent and just misuse cliched phrases (Irish, British, American etc) all the time.
    You even get pretentious types, like Del Boy from Only Fools and Horses, who pepper their speech with misused French and other borrowed phrases!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Sindri wrote: »

'True that' :mad:

To be fair, that's more a Baltimore/Maryland saying than an America at large one. I take it you're not a fan of The Wire then?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

to my horror i have used some of the terms referenced in this thread

now that i ve seen them in print in front of my eyes it brings home how ridiculous irish people sound when using them

i make an exception for restroom/bathroom over toilet though. The first two sound quite comforting, "toilet" just congures up an image of an auld fella sitting on a bowl, or a skanger going into McDonalds to shoot up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

"Cops" It's the Guards ya fooking tool!

I think you'll find it's PoliceCops ;)

I always think "The Guards" sounds very scarily militaristic.
    It always just reminds me of some monarch shouting "Guards!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

i never use Guards or Gardai

prefer Police, as that is what they are. And occasionally "cops"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

To be fair, that's more a Baltimore/Maryland saying than an America at large one. I take it you're not a fan of The Wire then?

Just because you are a fan of the Wire doesn't make that remotely true.

freddiek wrote: »
    i never use Guards or Gardai

prefer Police, as that is what they are. And occasionally "cops"

Although, you could always shout "Guards! Seize him" next time you've a burglar at your house and the Gardai arrive :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just because you are a fan of the Wire doesn't make that remotely true.

Maybe I just don't watch enough American telly and haven't been brainwashed enough as I've never heard that one anywhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

The term 24/7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

kraggy wrote: »
    That's not the point. You're implying that I'm saying that the term wanker shouldn't be used by us because it's from the English language. I'm not saying that at all.

I'm saying that it should be afforded the same treatment as an Americanism as it is an "Englishism" i.e. it's origin is as a slang word/colloquialism in a different country. Not because it's from the English language in general.

Maybe his point is that if you object to common words and phrases just because they are of foreign origin it's not entirely consistent to be using the English language in the first place. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

When people say "ass" instead of "arse". I don't know why but that annoys me a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

when people say "i'll give you a call/ i'll call you later"

no, you'll ring me. sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

whitewave wrote: »

"I'll give you a shout"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

whitewave wrote: »

No, they'll phone you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Boll0cks.

Yeah, people who say "pet hate" really grind my gears already! :pac:

Could people using Americanisms be any more annoying?

An ironic one, given that most Americans can't actually drive manual cars and tend to grind the gears horribly while desperately trying to find "D" on an Opel Corsa (Manual) they hired at Shannon Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Irish are not only ones guilty of Americanisms, English cricket captain spoke of the players "stepping up to the plate":eek:

Not only an Americanism but taken from a different sport:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

DubCul wrote: »
    Irish are not only ones guilty of Americanisms, English cricket captain spoke of the players "stepping up to the plate":eek:

Not only an Americanism but taken from a different sport:(

Would you not also say that baseball was taken from a different sport i.e cricket ?

We just need to market our own phrases a bit better :D

I notice "craic" has now been adopted quite widely in England.
    I've heard a few English friends of mine who've never really been in Ireland describing thing as "good craic".

I think we need to get a few more into the repertoire :

Suggestion:

1) "Get your arse in gear!"
    2) "I'm grand"
    3) "Eegit"

Americans also OCCASIONALLY adopt non-American phrases.

For example, "Cellphone" is gradually being replaced by "mobile".
    "Automobile" dropped out of common usage in favour of "car".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'm good!!!

I hate that expression!!!!

efb wrote: »
    I'm good!!!

I hate that expression!!!!

Yeah, the correct expression is "I'm grand!"

tut tut!

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Solair wrote: »

Suggestion:

You may have to fight the Aussies for that one, even though you left off the obligatory "mate".

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm like whatever
    From the United States of... Whatever?
    "Can I get a" - usually said in Coffee Shops. You don't say Can I get a when you ask for something anywhere else. You're also not on the cast of Friends.
    How do you ask for a pint? Do you just shout "CARLSBERG" at the bartender?

You may have to fight the Aussies for that one, even though you left off the obligatory "mate".

Yeah, that coming from a country that insists on playing Gaelic Football in a weird outfit with a rugby ball on a funny shaped field....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

We need to assess "where we are at".

The presenters on newsralk always say it. Hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

I'm all done = I'm finished
    reach out to = talk to
    bagel = sandwich
    cookie = biscuit
    spot = advertisement
    movie = film
    downsize = to fire people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    "Can I get a bagel". Please stop saying "Can I get", as a poster said previously, this is not "Friends".

"Could I have?". What's wrong with that?

I like using the word 'horse' in this context.
    Horse us one of them, would ya?
    Horse us over a bagel please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Solair wrote: »
    We just need to market our own phrases a bit better :D

I notice "craic" has now been adopted quite widely in England.
    I've heard a few English friends of mine who've never really been in Ireland describing thing as "good craic".

Suggestion:

2) "I'm grand"
    3) "Eegit"

Americans also OCCASIONALLY adopt non-American phrases.

For example, "Cellphone" is gradually being replaced by "mobile".
    "Automobile" dropped out of common usage in favour of "car".

I think craic, written 'crack' originally was english and we just sort of made it our own over time. The gaelicisation into 'craic' helped too.
    I like hearing all the different ways people speak the same language. Sure there are some of them that annoy me but overall i think it adds colour to the world.
    Sure we even have it hear, word like 'munya' and 'rulya' or 'feen' 'feek' outside of south Armagh or cork tend to baffle people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

I absolutely despise when people (usually women) who watch that Gossip Girl tripe...
    use abbreviations while talking; e.g. "totes awks" instead of 'Hmm, we seem to be in a rather awkward predicament here'

What is wrong with the world!??... and mini-rant over. Please continue.

Advertisement