Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

piling for house foundation

Options
  • 28-02-2012 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi

I was hoping someone can help.

i am looking to buy a site - which has planning for a house - one and a half storey, 2400sq ft.

however, the site was initially down in a hole, and raised up using fill, raised up about 10 ft.

does anyone know, would i definitly need to pile for the foundation, and if so , what would be the cost, roughly? And is it worth it!!

thanks,
    Jo

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1. does anyone know, would i definitly need to pile for the foundation,
    2. and if so , what would be the cost, roughly?
    3. And is it worth it!!

hi Jo,were not meant to discuss structural questions here for obvious reasons (how can anyone offer an opinion on such a matter without at the very least an on-site inspection) but to answer your questions
    1. you need an engineer and yes you will be piling
    2. you need an engineer & quantity surveyor/piling contractor + large contingency as you were not the person filling this 15ft + probably a health & safety/ maybe environmental report of some description and confirmation from the council that this 15ft site fill is ok by them.
    3. run away and find another site unless you've a very strong reason for this location, lots of extra €€€€ per ftsq to spend over a normal build, and a good engineer that you can trust.
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

[QUOTE=
    you need an engineer and yes you will be piling
    1. you need an engineer & quantity surveyor/piling contractor + large contingency as you were not the person filling this 15ft + probably a health & safety/ maybe environmental report of some description and confirmation from the council that this 15ft site fill is ok by them.
    2. run away and find another site unless you've a very strong reason for this location, lots of extra €€€€ per ftsq to spend over a normal build, and a good engineer that you can trust.
    best of luck[/QUOTE]

thanks for that brian. its more like 10 ft , as appose to 15, but i suppose same rules apply.

One question, how did it get planning permission for a house if is such a dodgy site?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

BryanF wrote: »
    [/LIST]
    hi Jo,were not meant to discuss structural questions here for obvious reasons (how can anyone offer an opinion on such a matter without at the very least an on-site inspection)
    That about says it.
    jocotty wrote: »
    One question, how did it get planning permission for a house if is such a dodgy site?
    I'm afraid that question is not for us to answer either. You really need someone to do an on-site report for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement