Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

im pretty sure
    she'll kindle it for any boss soul

No, she will upgrade your estus flask to give more health recovery.

You upgrade the fires to carry 20 flasks. You need the
    Right of Kindling
    to do that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

After you completed "The Murderer" questline (see below), if you speak to her after offering a Lord Soul or Bequeathed Lord Soul Shard to the Lordvessel, she will kindle the Firelink Shrine bonfire to max, giving you 20 Estus Flask charges when you rest at it. Therefore, it's not recommended to kindle Firelink Shrine's bonfire.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/anastacia-of-astora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

calex71 wrote: »
    Why only 10 estus :confused:

I didn't realise this until after i went to NG+ but the kindling carries over so if you max a fire you wont have to use humanity on it next play.

Yeah I know I can go to 20 but my humanity is in relatively short supply so I've not bothered going above 10 for most bonfires. If I need more than 10 estus for one fight then I don't deserve to win it so I'm happy enough to keep trying. I've figured out most of his strategy now so think I'll get him in the next couple of attempts, away out for the night now so it'll have to wait til tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Harps wrote: »
    Yeah I know I can go to 20 but my humanity is in relatively short supply so I've not bothered going above 10 for most bonfires. If I need more than 10 estus for one fight then I don't deserve to win it so I'm happy enough to keep trying. I've figured out most of his strategy now so think I'll get him in the next couple of attempts, away out for the night now so it'll have to wait til tomorrow!

If i had known they carried over to NG+ I would have farmed the humanity from the rats in the depths and kindled every one of them before moving to NG+ :D

It's useful if you have a co-op partner with you to be able to heal them if they don't have miracles equipped.

Also I walk around with 10 soft humanity for my weapons, but that has increased to 30 by itself, I know i get +1 for helping someone with a boss , but no way i picked up that many and helped with that many bosses, do you get humanity for killing a certain amount of enemies too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I'm fairly confused regarding weapon upgrades. I'm hearing that the Drake Sword starts to become ineffective around the middle of the game and that other weapons start to surpass it but if I upgrade it it goes from 200 damage to 220, while my other weapons like the Uchigatana (which I've heard can become very powerful) are still stuck below 100. I get that upgrading it +5 or something will probably push it up towards 200 but can Drake Sword not go to 300 with upgrading? Maybe I'm reading too much into the damage stat.

I'm level 40, probably a bit too balanced in stats for a level 40 (I can have a crack at almost everything except miracles), and just out of Blighttown where the Drake Sword served me well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I'm fairly confused regarding weapon upgrades. I'm hearing that the Drake Sword starts to become ineffective around the middle of the game and that other weapons start to surpass it but if I upgrade it it goes from 200 damage to 220, while my other weapons like the Uchigatana (which I've heard can become very powerful) are still stuck below 100. I get that upgrading it +5 or something will probably push it up towards 200 but can Drake Sword not go to 300 with upgrading? Maybe I'm reading too much into the damage stat.

I'm level 40, probably a bit too balanced in stats for a level 40 (I can have a crack at almost everything except miracles), and just out of Blighttown where the Drake Sword served me well.

The Drake Sword doesn't scale with any of your stats though, whereas other weapons will.
    You are probably at the very limit of the Drake Sword for your character now.

You should have got a soul form the boss lady of blightton??? make it into a furysword for a start, I'm still using it in NG+ also the uchigatana is only available there if you are with the forest covenant or killed the merchant in undead burg, is there are difference between it and the iaito? i have a +15 iaito and a +5 chaos Uchi and really don;t see a difference in terms of keeping me alive, still favor the qualagg furysword over their move set, even though I keep my soft humanity at 10 for the chaos the fury edges it.

I go 2 handed most of the time, but find the R2 attack with kitanas is just too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Well 20 odd attempts later and I'm still fighting Artorias, had him down to about 3 or 4 more hits with all 10 estus flasks used when he finally got me. Easily the best boss fight in the game up to now, gonna be a nice feeling if I ever manage to take him down

Artorias is a great fight, and certainly very satisfying when you beat him. Personally I found Kalameet more satisfying, mostly because had more attempts on him. Manus is also a great challenge. Enjoy the rest of the DLC. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Also I walk around with 10 soft humanity for my weapons, but that has increased to 30 by itself, I know i get +1 for helping someone with a boss , but no way i picked up that many and helped with that many bosses, do you get humanity for killing a certain amount of enemies too?

Yup, you get a humanity by killing a certain amount of enemies in each area without dying. I think the boss of the area still has to be alive to do this, and you can only earn a maximum of 10 this way.

Finally beat Artorias yesterday :)

His relentless attacking meant I never had enough stamina to hit him when I had the chance so the Cloranthy Ring + some Green Blossom made the difference. In the Chasm of the Abyss now and can't be too far away from Manus, interesting area, adds a lot to the back story and makes me feel even worse about killing Sif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Hadn't palyed since I got to the Capra demon last week...2+ hrs later I beat the fuppin baxtard...man that feels unbelievably good...nobody was doing any summoning at his gate and I was so close to quitting...i just couldn't get past him to the stairs for so long...tried really light armour but always was taking a hit...the went to my pyro and firebombs but couldn't get them off in time...finally ended up using my elite guard armour and the drake and meleeing the bejaysus out of him...screw you Capra, I have work in the morning:D...did I say how good that felt?

All ready for the final area now, DLC finished earlier and it was definitely worth the expense, enjoyed all the boss fights

I know its recommended I kill everyone before I finish but I've gotten really invested in the world so don't think I can bring myself to kill the last few remaining sane people in the world, felt terrible killing Ciaran at Artorias' grave earlier but just couldn't turn down her drops!

All ready for the final area now, DLC finished earlier and it was definitely worth the expense, enjoyed all the boss fights

I know its recommended I kill everyone before I finish but I've gotten really invested in the world so don't think I can bring myself to kill the last few remaining sane people in the world, felt terrible killing Ciaran at Artorias' grave earlier but just couldn't turn down her drops!

Dooooooooooooooo it !!!!!! Especially the forest covenant merchant and his ninja side kick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I know its recommended I kill everyone before I finish but I've gotten really invested in the world so duon't think I can bring myself to kill the last few remaining sane people in the world, felt terrible killing Ciaran at Artorias' grave earlier but just couldn't turn down her drops!

Harps the Merciful

I killed most people without too much remorse but there's a few I think I'll leave in peace, the Giant Blacksmith for example, I talked to him yesterday and he called me a good friend, in such a lonely and brutal game its great to find someone who says something like that, plus he only drops a strength based hammer which is no use to my dex character!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I killed most people without too much remorse but there's a few I think I'll leave in peace, the Giant Blacksmith for example, I talked to him yesterday and he called me a good friend, in such a lonely and brutal game its great to find someone who says something like that, plus he only drops a strength based hammer which is no use to my dex character!

I didn't kill him either. There was a few I left alone too actually.

Felt bad about killing the boss in the painted world too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

His hammer does physical & lightning damage and only has 16 strength requirement so even a SL 1 player can wield it (two handed). It's one of the main weapons people use for SL1 playthroughs.

One parry away from killing the final boss and the batteries in my controller go dead..couldn't make it up

One parry away from killing the final boss and the batteries in my controller go dead..couldn't make it up

Ha nearly all games pause when that happens , not this one.

My rechargeables are on thier last legs and I only get a couple of hours from, and them dieing in action is not uncommon these days so I bought in some duacells specially for dark souls :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

My rechargeables are on thier last legs and I only get a couple of hours from, and them dieing in action is not uncommon these days so I bought in some duacells specially for dark souls :)
    yeah you really should have checked your batteries...i always check mine...the way I always check the oil in my car before commencing a long journey:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

GK1001 wrote: »
    yeah you really should have checked your batteries...i always check mine...the way I always check the oil in my car before commencing a long journey:p

Always Lock and Load your weapon before going into battle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Bought the dlc recently and spent an hour yesterday ringing the two bells and made it to nor londo today and for whatever reason I cannot beat Smough and Ornstein , i...i just cant beat them. i dont remember them being this tough

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bought the dlc recently and spent an hour yesterday ringing the two bells and made it to nor londo today and for whatever reason I cannot beat Smough and Ornstein , i...i just cant beat them. i dont remember them being this tough

found them impossible without summoning.

Having trouble with Nito in NG+ at the moment. Anyone I summoned keep quitting out. Its even more frustrating due to how easily I beat him on the first playthrough.

the problem is with fatty and skinny aswell as boney chicken legs is that there is no pattern and its all chaotic.

its so shocking how incredibly rusty you can be taken a year break from dark souls

13 bloody quid paid for dlc and i have to make it to the archives :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

So I hit a strange one. Joined the Garden Hunter covenant. Put on the cat covenant ring and was almost immediately summoned to invade a player world. Things went well and I got a backstab kill. Happy days got a titanite chunk. Got returned to my own world and for some reason got immediately attacked and killed by the covenant npc's. Had a look at my status and my covenant was none. Weird. :(

If you read a few pages back you'll see something similar happened to me, there's a glitch where one of the covenant NPC's spawns on the edge of a cliff and falls off it. This counts as you killing him so you're kicked out of the covenant and everyone becomes hostile. You have to go to the guy on top of the belltower to absolve your sins

I went to block his attack and nothing happened then got hit another two times before the 'Please reconnect your controller' thing even came up on the screen, should have expected as much from this game I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

What is it with boss fights. You eventually manage to get them low for the first time, within a hit or two of killing it but of course in the excitement of finishing a tough fight you die just as you're about to hit the final blow. That's fine, you were so close you should be able to do it next time... Right?? No. Another 10 bloody times before you get the bastard anywhere near that again nevermind killing him! Argh... Happens every time.
    Still, does make the eventual triumph that much sweeter. Suck on my uchi, Stray Demon.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

If you read a few pages back you'll see something similar happened to me, there's a glitch where one of the covenant NPC's spawns on the edge of a cliff and falls off it. This counts as you killing him so you're kicked out of the covenant and everyone becomes hostile. You have to go to the guy on top of the belltower to absolve your sins

That's what I had to do. 18500 souls. :( ouch

with so many deaths ive been on a rampage in between. took out ornstein and smough and made to the dlc. already took out the first two bosses. dlc was worth every penny :D

• Advertisement

Nailed Nito lastnight thank fook. Took out the two skeletons with the silver knight spear first then his attacks were easy enough to dodge without them attacking me. Managed to avoid aggroing the giant skeleton at the back too. Just pummeled him with the Lifehunt Scythe then.

Advertisement