Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 afordy

Also, has anyone found out what age group you are going to be teaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Alia89

Hi everyone,

I find it pretty strange how many of you still don't have flight details and even more strange that I got my flight details without even having to send my attested degree, medical note and passport photos first.

On my work visa they've even put me down as Mrs when I'm clearly not even married.

I also find it extremely strange how the school manager refused for a member of family to come with for a week or two just for settling in purposes.

Another thing that's worrying me is the fact we have no clue where well be living?! It could be a dump for all we know, hopefully not and fingers crossed its everything I've expected it to be.

Ill be working in Al-Ain and fly out on the 18th, any one on here who's worked there before?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

afordy wrote: »
    I know as far as I know nobody has gotten theirs yet so at least we're all in the same boat! I just want 2 get it asap cause until then it doesnt seem real or something! Does anybody know what the story is with accomodation? Is it 2 per appartment and will we not know who we are sharing with until we get out there?

Seems that we won't know about who we're sharing with until we get there. I wonder if we will start the training the day after we get there or will we have a day or two to settle in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Alia89 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I find it pretty strange how many of you still don't have flight details and even more strange that I got my flight details without even having to send my attested degree, medical note and passport photos first.

On my work visa they've even put me down as Mrs when I'm clearly not even married.

I also find it extremely strange how the school manager refused for a member of family to come with for a week or two just for settling in purposes.

Another thing that's worrying me is the fact we have no clue where well be living?! It could be a dump for all we know, hopefully not and fingers crossed its everything I've expected it to be.

Ill be working in Al-Ain and fly out on the 18th, any one on here who's worked there before?

I currently live in Al Ain, my wife is a teacher with ADEC. Most of the housing in Al Ain is dead on, only heard of one bad place this year, and the lease with that building was not renewed.

The reason the school manager refused to allow someone to come out with you is that as they are not a dependant of yours then they have no obligation to pay their airfare. Of course you are more than allowed to have family over, but ADEC will not pay for it.

My wife is placed in a kindergarten school about 10 mins outside Al Ain on the Abu Dhabi road, and even though we live the other side of town, it only takes her about 25 mins to get to work each day.

There are loads on groups on facebook for LT's (sorry, now EMT's) and there are also a couple of "Swap and Shop" groups as well where you can get some pretty decent stuff at decent prices.

If you need any more info, or have any questions at all, shoot me a PM and I'll try and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LadyLorr20

i think we're all the same so, as I'm heading to Khalifa A too and still no sign of tickets.. :O

• Advertisement

LadyLorr20 wrote: »
    i think we're all the same so, as I'm heading to Khalifa A too and still no sign of tickets.. :O

Tickets can take a while, wife was in the second group to go out last year, got her tickets 6 days before travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Not to worry any of you but I was supposed to be half way to Abu Dhabi right now. I got my flight details last Monday to say I'd be flying out this morning. All was fine until they sent me the wrong visa and decided to cancel my ticket until they got the visa sorted. Only found out at about 17.30 last night....mid packing....that I wouldn't be going yet. Am completely in limbo and my head is wrecked checking my e-mail every few minutes. I'm with ADEC not Sabis so it's slightly different. Anyway, just needed to rant. AAgggghhhhhhhh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vanillabear360

Hey guy, I got messed around by teachanywhere.com... I came across Remedy Recruitment. They have jobs available but I am just wondering if they recruit for good schools. It seems strange that they have positions at this time of year. Does anyone know anything about them?

Hey guy, I got messed around by teachanywhere.com... I came across Remedy Recruitment. They have jobs available but I am just wondering if they recruit for good schools. It seems strange that they have positions at this time of year. Does anyone know anything about them?

It all depends on if they are recruiting for ADEC or private schools. The general rule of thumb out here is that ADEC gives a better deal for salary/allowances.

My wife came out with 3 years teaching exp and is getting approx 3,000 eur a month tax free, plus free accommodation and health cover for both of us as well as flight allowances for us both as well. From what I have been able to figure out, the private schools dont offer as good a package

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

It all depends on if they are recruiting for ADEC or private schools. The general rule of thumb out here is that ADEC gives a better deal for salary/allowances.

My wife came out with 3 years teaching exp and is getting approx 3,000 eur a month tax free, plus free accommodation and health cover for both of us as well as flight allowances for us both as well. From what I have been able to figure out, the private schools dont offer as good a package

I tried getting in to ADEC....1 year of teaching experience is not enough it seems!! I'd say three is minimum...I did not know that the difference in the pay is that huge!! :O Still I'd rather be working for less than that in a private school than be uncertain back in Ireland trying to get work with the serious lack of teaching jobs available..it will probably only be worse this year with even more NQTS..!!

Also, I heard after applying they're in very remote areas of the UAE only, and I do like my social life... I wouldn't cope if put in one of the quieter emirates! You can't choose where you get also yes??

Also, teachanywhere got me my job in Dubai, and were extremely helpful I must say... I know alot of NQTS with 0-2 years exp that have got worked over in Dubai and Abu Dhabi with them in fairness, and no bad things said...here's hoping all will be good when I get over at the end of August..!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ya would love to hear more about how people are getting on teaching with ADEC. They interviewed in Ire around Easter I think. Did anyone get lucky?

I tried getting in to ADEC....1 year of teaching experience is not enough it seems!! I'd say three is minimum...I did not know that the difference in the pay is that huge!! :O Still I'd rather be working for less than that in a private school than be uncertain back in Ireland trying to get work with the serious lack of teaching jobs available..it will probably only be worse this year with even more NQTS..!!

Maybe they have tightened it up this year, but I know last year there were a couple of NQT's out there, literally straight from college and got a job with ADEC.
    Also, I heard after applying they're in very remote areas of the UAE only, and I do like my social life... I wouldn't cope if put in one of the quieter emirates! You can't choose where you get also yes??

ADEC (Abu Dhabi Education Council) only places people in the Abu Dhabi Emirate. Who ever told you that the jobs are in very remote areas is talking bull, they have schools all over the emirate, most of which are in Abu Dhabi city, or Al Ain. However, I know that alot of singles tend to get put in Al Garbia which is in the western region and would be alot quieter than Abu Dhabi or Al Ain. Couples tend to go to Abu Dhabi and families tend to go to Al Ain, however this is not a hard rule. You are right, you can not chose where you are put, they tell you where you are working/living, however you can request a transfer after your first year.
    Also, teachanywhere got me my job in Dubai, and were extremely helpful I must say... I know alot of NQTS with 0-2 years exp that have got worked over in Dubai and Abu Dhabi with them in fairness, and no bad things said...here's hoping all will be good when I get over at the end of August..!! :)

TeachAnywhere do first stage recruitment for both ADEC and private schools, when my wife was applying she was with TeachAnywhere and they were great, she completed the forms over a weekend and submitted on the Monday, got a call the next week saying that they wanted to interview her the next week and gave her the last appointment they had for Dublin and right at the end of the interview told her that she had the job, and would most likely be Kindergarten (which is what she got).

One thing I will say, is that alot of people complain about the quality of teaching / standards out there and say its too different from their home country, thing to remember is, this is a very young country and they are still sorting stuff out. If you go with an open mind and a willingness to adhere to their customs then you will have a much better time.

We have just finished our first year, and entering the 2nd year of the contract, and looks like we might do another 2 years after that, we love it out here. Sure it can be hard at times when dealing with locals, or the vast amount of ex-pats from all around the world, but it is such a life changing difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I was told by recruiter that ADEC only recruit women for primary. If you are a fella you have to do secondary English.

I was told by recruiter that ADEC only recruit women for primary. If you are a fella you have to do secondary English.

Yeah that would be about right as they are doing a feminisation scheme in primary schools. However, I know of primary teachers that are teaching secondary, and vise versa

• Registered Users Posts: 6 redman87

Hi,

I'm going teaching in Sharjah and flying out the 19th. Like everyone else though I have yet to receive my tickets and Visa, I did however e-mail them to ask what time the flight is on Sunday and they got back to me with 13.50. I looked up flights that day and the only one going out at that time arrives in at 00.25 Dubai time, so anyone flying out to Dubai/Sharjah that day I'd imagine that's the flight we'll be on. Although you never know!! I'm not sure how much settling time we get then I wouldn't be surprised if we were training straight away the following day, though be nice to have a day off to get unpacked etc

They would want to hurry up with sending the e-tickets and Visa though, I can't imagine what the delay is if they already have us booked on that flight

• Registered Users Posts: 6 redman87

redman87 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm going teaching in Sharjah and flying out the 19th. Like everyone else though I have yet to receive my tickets and Visa, I did however e-mail them to ask what time the flight is on Sunday and they got back to me with 13.50. I looked up flights that day and the only one going out at that time arrives in at 00.25 Dubai time, so anyone flying out to Dubai/Sharjah that day I'd imagine that's the flight we'll be on. Although you never know!! I'm not sure how much settling time we get then I wouldn't be surprised if we were training straight away the following day, though be nice to have a day off to get unpacked etc

They would want to hurry up with sending the e-tickets and Visa though, I can't imagine what the delay is if they already have us booked on that flight

Tickets and Visa came this morning for me

Did anyone get an email stating that there visa had been delayed? I got an email saying that this morning, but they said it should be issued by thursday if not before.. and that my ticket had been issued due to fly out on the 18th.. should I be worried? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Funkychicken12

LadyLorr20 wrote: »
    Did anyone get an email stating that there visa had been delayed? I got an email saying that this morning, but they said it should be issued by thursday if not before.. and that my ticket had been issued due to fly out on the 18th.. should I be worried? :(

Hey! Im flying into Dubai on the 19th, I only received my e-ticket but not my visa. I wasnt informed that my visa was delayed I was just told in the email that my visa would be sent to me by this thursday the 16th and to print it out then. I wouldnt worry about it.
    Was anybody else unable to download the itinerary attachment at the end if the email?? I think it was a calender format of some sort??

Hey! Im flying into Dubai on the 19th, I only received my e-ticket but not my visa. I wasnt informed that my visa was delayed I was just told in the email that my visa would be sent to me by this thursday the 16th and to print it out then. I wouldnt worry about it.
    Was anybody else unable to download the itinerary attachment at the end if the email?? I think it was a calender format of some sort??

Ah ok.. well the email told me it was issued but it wasnt attached to the email.. I'm assuming they'll both come together? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 phour

naaaaaaa wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just got offered a substitute position in Abu Dhabi pretty much out of the blue. Just wondering if anyone has or is planning to be a substitute teacher with Sabis and whether they would recommend it? Also, I am awaiting to hear the result of another job next week however I have to sign my contract within the next 48 hours. Does anyone know whether or not it is possible to change my mind next week and cancel my contract if I were to be offered the other job next week? Dilemmas! Appreciate if anyone has any insight!

Hey,

I just got the same thing, to teach in Khalifa City. Had the phone interview this morning and got offered this a few hours later!! I'm in a similar situation to yourself I have recently started a new job and 48 hours is not a long time to consider such a move! I've never heard of people going over to do substitute teaching. Is it common?? is it a good job? I'm afraid when I would get started in Abu Dhabi that I could be moved to the middle of no where if they needed a teacher!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 adinado

finally got my eticket and visa! flying out this sunday at 20 past 9 to abu dhabi city...anyone else on this flight? can't believe its so soon! eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 EB1992

Hey yeah I'm on this flight too!! Getting so close, starting to feel so real :-P what school where you placed in?

EB1992 wrote: »
    Hey yeah I'm on this flight too!! Getting so close, starting to feel so real :-P what school where you placed in?

the international school of chouiefat, abu dhabi city! what about you? yeah starting to feel very really! better start packing!ha! i don't even know if we need to bring anything for our apartments or if everything will be there? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 EB1992

adinado wrote: »

the international school of chouiefat, abu dhabi city! what about you? yeah starting to feel very really! better start packing!ha! i don't even know if we need to bri anything for our apartments or if everything will be there? :confused:

Ah I'm in ISC Ruwais, just down the road from Abu Dhabi! Ah I'm the same dunno what to be bringing but I do know the apartments are fully furnished ha so I'm assuming pots and pans will be there already :-P so I'm focusing in packing as much clothes as possible into the case :-D

Ah I'm in ISC Ruwais, just down the road from Abu Dhabi! Ah I'm the same dunno what to be bringing but I do know the apartments are fully furnished ha so I'm assuming pots and pans will be there already :-P so I'm focusing in packing as much clothes as possible into the case :-D

yeah same as! i'll never fit everything!ha! well good luck with the packing, might see ya sunday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 afordy

Hey, does anyone know if we have to bring our own bed sheets for the appartments! Also, does anyone know if we have to start training the following day after we arrive?

afordy wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone know if we have to bring our own bed sheets for the appartments! Also, does anyone know if we have to start training the following day after we arrive?

I emailed them today to ask about bedlinen...will let you know when I hear back. My contract says from the 21st so I'm assuming the training won't be starting until the Tuesday but I'm not sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lena84

im flying out on saturday morning 9.20 to khalifa city. they told me bed linen would be organised for us no need to pack!! any one else headin out saturday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 873

lena84 wrote: »
    im flying out on saturday morning 9.20 to khalifa city. they told me bed linen would be organised for us no need to pack!! any one else headin out saturday morning?

I am, I'm going to Al Ain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 873

Does anyone flying with etihad know if we can put the 23kg baggage allowance across two bags or if it is just one?

Advertisement