Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

Hey, I have applied for a position in UAE with uteach and teachaway. They have yet to get back to me on any positions being available for this term coming. Would I be better off contacting the schools directly or is it too late now?

Hey, I applied with teachaway (or teachanywhere as I call it) early last March. It takes a lot of phone calls and effort to get them to keep in contact with you, trust me, but that is the only way they will look for work for you. Are you newly qualified, or do you have a few years of experience? You don't have to answer, but I can just tell you my rep told me there is very stiff competition for jobs this year, especially in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. She also said newly qualified will find it tough this year, even compared to last where they would take them on. I'm not saying they won't, but a lot schools in Dubai any way that allowed NQT applications last year don't this this year. She told me that there are so many teachers with lots of experience heading over now that you wouldn't think it, so competition is a lot tougher.I have a years experience thankfully from a temporary position I got, but had nothing for next sep so I'm off to Dubai with a friend! :)

It took ALOT of interviews though, I did at least 11 with 4 different schools, and some schools did not even get back to my rep. It takes a lot of patience and time, but don't give up. Call up the office instead of e-mailing and get to know a rep - that will help you big time. If I'm very honest, I think you will find it extremely tough to get a job in Dubai or Abu Dhabi at this stage (do try though, my friend got a call last minute for a school in Dubai mid August last year and took it, but again she was waiting three months.)

Also, if you just want somewhere in UAE, I got an offer for a school in Al Ain through elite education but I had my job in Dubai at that stage. Elite education wouldn't be as great for getting interviews, (they offered me very little interviews actually, only 2 schools did through them), but still they were looking for loads of new teachers for a school there. Try them if you're not fussed. Best of luck with the job search any way! :)

Oh also, at this stage, yes, I would contact schools directly. Go onto various schools websites and there is usually a jobs section on it and apply that way. Being honest thought, I sent an application to the school I will be teaching in via E-mail 2 months before they offered me the job through teachanywhere. It did not seem like they seen my E-mail application at all, and did not reply so for some schools that might not be the best approach.

Anyone else here heading to Dubai??! I'm not going with Sabis, but have a friend that is and friends that are not but we'll all be Primary teaching any way. . I'm getting very excited at this stage! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Hey, I applied with teachaway (or teachanywhere as I call it) early last March. It takes a lot of phone calls and effort to get them to keep in contact with you, trust me, but that is the only way they will look for work for you. Are you newly qualified, or do you have a few years of experience? You don't have to answer, but I can just tell you my rep told me there is very stiff competition for jobs this year, especially in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. She also said newly qualified will find it tough this year, even compared to last where they would take them on. I'm not saying they won't, but a lot schools in Dubai any way that allowed NQT applications last year don't this this year. She told me that there are so many teachers with lots of experience heading over now that you wouldn't think it, so competition is a lot tougher.I have a years experience thankfully from a temporary position I got, but had nothing for next sep so I'm off to Dubai with a friend! :)

It took ALOT of interviews though, I did at least 11 with 4 different schools, and some schools did not even get back to my rep. It takes a lot of patience and time, but don't give up. Call up the office instead of e-mailing and get to know a rep - that will help you big time. If I'm very honest, I think you will find it extremely tough to get a job in Dubai or Abu Dhabi at this stage (do try though, my friend got a call last minute for a school in Dubai mid August last year and took it, but again she was waiting three months.)

Also, if you just want somewhere in UAE, I got an offer for a school in Al Ain through elite education but I had my job in Dubai at that stage. Elite education wouldn't be as great for getting interviews, (they offered me very little interviews actually, only 2 schools did through them), but still they were looking for loads of new teachers for a school there. Try them if you're not fussed. Best of luck with the job search any way! :)

Oh also, at this stage, yes, I would contact schools directly. Go onto various schools websites and there is usually a jobs section on it and apply that way. Being honest thought, I sent an application to the school I will be teaching in via E-mail 2 months before they offered me the job through teachanywhere. It did not seem like they seen my E-mail application at all, and did not reply so for some schools that might not be the best approach.

Anyone else here heading to Dubai??! I'm not going with Sabis, but have a friend that is and friends that are not but we'll all be Primary teaching any way. . I'm getting very excited at this stage! :)

I am an newly qualified maths secondary school teacher, unfortunately schools seem to be looking for people who have a few years experience so I have had little luck. I have a first honours in Maths Science and also a first honours in my Diploma in education so I thought my two first degrees would help me. I just applied directly to schools around UAE so fingers crossed someone will get back to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LadyLorr20

Ash101 wrote: »
    Heya! No I haven't heard anything since sending over all the documents..I was getting worried. I emailed them alright and they said our flight will be on the 18th of August but they didn't say a time or anything else! I know a girl who taught at the same school were teaching in for 3 years and she said the accommodation is lovely..you share with 1/2 people and its all irish! She's just finished so I'd say its the same accommodation which is just across from the school. Its getting so close now..only 5 weeks!

oh thats good, well i emailed the school also and i also was told the 18th.. i just wish we got the ticket just so we know for definite! :) i heard our accomodation is only 2 mins away from the school so that must be it! I cant believe the time has gone quick.. the next few weeks will fly! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bluebee

me54 wrote: »
    hey, I know this may sound like a silly question but does anyone know if we have to bring linen, bed sheets etc with us?

This is a really good question! Did you find out by any chance? If not I'll email them today I suppose:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mcdbd

I got vaccinations yesterday. I feel rotten today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

Is everyone getting vaccines before going? I'm still not sure what to do, people have told me that u can get them when u get there and that they're alot cheaper but still not sure if I should have them before I go to be on the safe side??

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bluebee

I'm definitely not getting vaccinated, I'd consider it very unnecessary myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lena84

does anyone know when we get paid for the firs time thought i read somewhere its six weeks before we get paid???

• Registered Users Posts: 1 k.nic

873 wrote: »
    I am!!

Hey all, new to boards today because I need advice on sabis so forgive me if this comment is in the wrong place. I got offered a position as a 'spare teacher' om AL Ain. I had been hoping for a permanant job in Dubai or Abu Dubai so I'm very undecided and only have two days to seal the deal. Anyone have any advice on Al Ain or on the postion of a spare teacher! Help appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

me54 wrote: »
    hey, I know this may sound like a silly question but does anyone know if we have to bring linen, bed sheets etc with us?

Did you manage to find out the answer to this? are many people travelling to Abu Dhabi on the 19th Aug? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Siobh78

Sinead2312 wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering if anyone has been placed in RAK or Ras Al Khaimah or has heard anything about the area??
    Thanks

Hi Sinead! I'm going there as well! On the 19th? I haven't heard much except that it's one of the smaller schools and I don't think there will b as many of us traveling there! Where are u from yourself? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Camog88

Hey everyone...I'm going to Abu dhabi on the 19th too. I read on the etihad website that we can check in 23kg but does anyone know if we can put that between two bags or is it only one?

Has everyone who travelling to Khalifa A got their flight details? I'm getting worried as I still havent heard.. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Just got my flight details today. I'll be working with ADEC so just a week's notice. I'll be flying out to Abu Dhabi next Wednesday, 8th. Anyone else going then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 maize6

Hey sparklyEyes111

Do u mind me asking what school are u going with?

I went through teachanywhere but as i wont have my teaching results until mid september i couldn't really apply to any schools yet so decided to go with Sabis for a year first!
    Do you have much experience? I heard some of the schools are very difficult to work for and expect you to put in long hours ? marie xx

namurt wrote: »
    Just got my flight details today. I'll be working with ADEC so just a week's notice. I'll be flying out to Abu Dhabi next Wednesday, 8th. Anyone else going then?

best of luck with the job.Do u need to be a qualified teacher to work with ADEC ? x

k.nic wrote: »
    Hey all, new to boards today because I need advice on sabis so forgive me if this comment is in the wrong place. I got offered a position as a 'spare teacher' om AL Ain. I had been hoping for a permanant job in Dubai or Abu Dubai so I'm very undecided and only have two days to seal the deal. Anyone have any advice on Al Ain or on the postion of a spare teacher! Help appreciated :)

My friend worked in Al Ain....its not the best location but not that far from Dubai she had a great time and went to Dubai for nights out all the time.A spare teacher role is meant to be handy ,when your not needed you are just in the staff room correcting and doing bits and pieces that needs to be done as far as i know x

Hey guys anyone flying to Dubai on the 19th of Aug have u got flight times or airline yet please let me know if ye have ,want to plan my last weekend EKKK thanks xxx

maize6 wrote: »
    best of luck with the job.Do u need to be a qualified teacher to work with ADEC ? x

Thanks. Yeh, you do need to be qualified. Good luck with your job too.

namurt wrote: »
    Thanks. Yeh, you do need to be qualified. Good luck with your job too.

thanks for you reply do u need experience to work for them !where are u going to be based? exciting times ahead ;-) x

• Advertisement

maize6 wrote: »
    thanks for you reply do u need experience to work for them !where are u going to be based? exciting times ahead ;-) x

You need two years experience. I won't find out where I'll be based until I arrive. Nervous and excited all in one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 naaaaaaa

Hi all,

I just got offered a substitute position in Abu Dhabi pretty much out of the blue. Just wondering if anyone has or is planning to be a substitute teacher with Sabis and whether they would recommend it? Also, I am awaiting to hear the result of another job next week however I have to sign my contract within the next 48 hours. Does anyone know whether or not it is possible to change my mind next week and cancel my contract if I were to be offered the other job next week? Dilemmas! Appreciate if anyone has any insight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ash101

LadyLorr20 wrote: »
    Has everyone who travelling to Khalifa A got their flight details? I'm getting worried as I still havent heard.. :/

Hey I still haven't got flight details yet! Its getting close now I really want them so I can get organized! Thank god I'm not on my own anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Controversy

Anybody know if Sabis are still recruiting? Also, what is the pay?

Ash101 wrote: »
    Hey I still haven't got flight details yet! Its getting close now I really want them so I can get organized! Thank god I'm not on my own anyway!

Thats what I was thinking! Least there will be a few of us! :)

hi i am headin out to abu dhabi school in khalifa city on 18th of august. sabis emailed me today to say that i should have flight details before the end of this week! is everyone else still waitin for flight details too??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 afordy

Yes im also heading to Khalifa city A school in Abu Dhabi on 18th. Really thought we would have flight tickets by now. Did they tell you they would come at the end of this week?

they said the visa should be ready by end of week and theyll issue the eticket once thats ready and i should have all details by end of week! seems like forever waitin to get it just as long as im not the only one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 afordy

I know as far as I know nobody has gotten theirs yet so at least we're all in the same boat! I just want 2 get it asap cause until then it doesnt seem real or something! Does anybody know what the story is with accomodation? Is it 2 per appartment and will we not know who we are sharing with until we get out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I got offered a position with ADEC in Abu Dhabi today. Came as a bit of a shock! I read the email, and my first impression was "ffffuuuucccckkkkkk!!". But getting a bit excited about it now. Only thing is, they don't assign schools 'til ye get there, and you get end up in the middle of nowhere. Not really a problem, except I can't drive, and don't imagine walking miles to school in 40 degree heat is too conducive to the aul health!!

Advertisement