Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foynes Rail Freight Revival Hard Evidence?

• 04-03-2014 12:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

I keep hear about how rail freight is coming back to the Foynes branch, but other that some 'talk' I see nothing to suggest anything official is going on. Does anyone have the real story - and please, not blogs by wild speculators. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    I keep hear about how rail freight is coming back to the Foynes branch, but other that some 'talk' I see nothing to suggest anything official is going on. Does anyone have the real story - and please, not blogs by wild speculators. Cheers.

There is nothing official that I am aware of, no actual plan being drawn up.

The port company have mentioned it in their plans, there might be some mines opening in the Limerick area, which might find it cheaper to go to Cork or Galway when push comes to shove.

Its just talk as you say, at least at the moment.

Its hard to see it happening TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The tentative proposal is to lay a spur onto the Limerick line and to reopen the line to Foynes and to unload zinc and lead ore at the station site, which is port side and capable of handing the traffic. If reopened, trains will operate at 25MPH under One Train In Steam signal arrangements; train crews will operate level crossings en route.

The Foynes branch itself was examined by a PW team about 2 years ago and is suitable for trains some minor relaying/points renewal and track replacement work along with renewal/improvements of some level crossing gates and fencing improvements. Two viaducts on the line will require considerable attention; this is the most onerous engineering that the branch requires while remedial work on the station shed will have to be looked at over time.

If reopened, the intention is that most of the cost of the works to bring the line back into service will be done as part of the overall Limerick resignaling and renewal project. Some of the costs incurred on the line will be recovered from the mine operators and the spur will be paid for by the mine.

This is assuming that the mine opts for rail haulage via Foynes so it is not a definitive plan by any means.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Thanks. So it is just aspirational really. It should be opened if Foynes is handling the traffic levels forecasted, but I can't see the CIE or political will to make it happen.

A part of me wonders if the wrc white elephant was never opened for 160 million would the modest money for Foynes and South Wexford be more forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

The Foynes Port Company have actually commissioned a project plan from Irish Rail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

€103 million only.(unless you add the ongoing losses of course)

• Advertisement

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Thanks. So it is just aspirational really. It should be opened if Foynes is handling the traffic levels forecasted, but I can't see the CIE or political will to make it happen.

It is more than aspirational, as Hungerford has stated. Irish Rail are willing to run services to Foynes provided that, as with all other of their freight flows, a regular freight flow on the line is assured from the mine and the cash is found to bring the line up to spec and to provide a new spur to the mine. I am sure that Foynes will welcome the marine traffic and will want it to happen.

Ultimately it's up to the mine owners; if the figures add up for rail then it has a real chance of happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I think I read 11 million needed to bring the line back up to operating standard.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I recall 11 million to bring the line back up to operating standard, but as already said IE will need to get that amount back and more for it to open.

That amount is including the renewal of track and signalling for the Limerick area. The cost to ready the branch for traffic is a fraction of this amount.

Advertisement