Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Colourful Characters of Waterford

• 23-04-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello everyone, this is my first post to Boards :-) Ive just been reading over previous posts and was pondering on the characters that have graced these streets in the past, and such an abundance of characters there 'have been', but what i'm trying to think of the characters 'that are'... I'm sure this town has an abunance of them, and i am not talking about the obvious men (and occaisional women) that are down on there luck and taken to the drink, im talking about those colourful characters that maybe have been working in the same place for 40 years or have the same routine everyday or just have tall tales to tell, there is no stereotype on these people, they are who they are. They are the characters that are the backbone of this beautiful city. Forgive me if this has been done before, but if not give them a mention and maybe tell a story, their story, or your story... or anything at all, use it as a celebration of the people of Waterford.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Is mocky dower still scaring kids into school?
    That other chap with the scraggly hair that seems to be in lisduggan shopping centre all the time. Really sound chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

seanybiker wrote: »
    That other chap with the scraggly hair that seems to be in lisduggan shopping centre all the time. Really sound chap.

Think he died last November.

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Think he died last November.

He was real? :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

He was real? :-o

Wasn't he the school inspector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Johnny Tierney? also I thought mocky was a scare tactic meself :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Wasn't he the school inspector
    He sure was, I was caught by him,but he was a fair man.

Johnny Tierney? also I thought mocky was a scare tactic meself :P

Yeah Johnny. He's always there. Lovely fella.

Yeah Johnny. He's always there. Lovely fella.
    His son is lovely too,:rolleyes:

marlin vs wrote: »
    His son is lovely too,:rolleyes:

Don't know him

Don't know him
    You do Seany,he follow's the hunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

The guy with the long scraggy grey hair that walks around town, hands behind his back. Usually wears a beige trenchcoat. I've heard he's called 'Sausages' as he'll chase you if you shout that at him. Anyone know if that's true?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Of my time - Elvis, Monica, and the guy dressed in a Beret with a mirror obsession

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

efla wrote: »
    Of my time - Elvis, Monica, and the guy dressed in a Beret with a mirror obsession
    The guy with the beret i think was called vogel,he lived out arond bunmahon way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

"how do"..cause thats what he will say to you, there are youtube clips of him shouting "how do"

years ago there was harry miller and fella called cashin they were allways together and were just known as "cashin & miller"

harry miller had grey hair and a long grey beard and someone said "harry would you do santa clause for christmas" he replied " i would if you hold him down":D

in more recent times we had the legends known as "multivan" and "newportwex" whose intellect is only surpassed by their popularity

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

1967 wrote: »
    The guy with the beret i think was called vogel,he lived out arond bunmahon way

Michael "Vousen" (Spelling?) was the chaps name. He got knocked down just outside Kill a few years ago. A pure gent of a man. I chatted to him many times. We could never work out was he a raving looney or just a genius who had the wires crossed in his head. He used to come out with some stuff like look at the sun and know the time and rough date.

I could tell ya some stories.

Edit: I genuinely miss multivan, had I been a mod at the time he never would have been banned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Cashin was Elvis, wasn't he? Is he still alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I'd even go so far as to count some people working in shops and pubs and characters of Waterford. I find that I'll be wandering around town and actually recognise someone as "Ah he works in Geoffs" or something.

Tom, the barman and proprietor for Grimes, being my favourite one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

God ya, there is a guy I think he used to be manager in Michael Guineys who I would literally without fail see somewhere in town about once a month. Haven't seen him in a long time as it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The town is blessed with some great characters alright

From publicans like Tom in Grimes and Flash in Revolution to the less fortunate such as How do and Toddy, there are plenty of people with stories to tell about the many crazy inhabitants of Waterford City

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

What about seanybiker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

jayboi wrote: »
    What about seanybiker?
    Never heard of him, sounds dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Never heard of him, sounds dodgy.
    Hes a kitten really you'd often see him on his push bike going around the cleaboy.

jayboi wrote: »
    Hes a kitten really you'd often see him on his push bike going around the cleaboy.

Hahaha I cycled a push bike a few weeks ago and had to go to bed. Mme lungs nearly fell out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

efla wrote: »

Rick Whelan? Yeah, he loves himself :D

What about that sully fella. Never met him bit heard he walks around with a hammer. *giggles like a school girl and runs*

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

ziedth wrote: »
    God ya, there is a guy I think he used to be manager in Michael Guineys who I would literally without fail see somewhere in town about once a month. Haven't seen him in a long time as it happens.

Was that an elderly guy, with grey hair?

Was that an elderly guy, with grey hair?

No but maybe he wasn't the manager though. What happened is years ago I saw him and I couldn't get over how much he looks like a chap I know really like twins. It wasn't that I started noticing a random guy around town :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

ziedth wrote: »
    No but maybe he wasn't the manager though. What happened is years ago I saw him and I couldn't get over how much he looks like a chap I know really like twins. It wasn't that I started noticing a random guy around town :)

Good recovery, don't think anybody noticed :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

There are some mad characters around alright but none are as legendary as Tawdy Morrissey. I see How-do around every now and then when I'm back in Waterford.

From my childhood I remember:

Joey LeBlanc and his mother Mazy
    Martin Hunt (your man with the hurley)
    Mad Tex (he had a dog and a toy horse mounted into the handle bars of his bike)
    Mally Boo - mad wan from Johns Park
    Ita Butler
    Mary 7up
    3 Dogs Keating
    Bum O'Keeffe
    Shammy Kavanagh (used to hang around Railway Square)
    Johnny Delacato
    Tony Weldon (DJ on WLR)

alot of them no longer with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Shammy was something else allright! I heard just after he died that he grew up in the caretakers house in the peoples park, its a cafe or something now.

Does the old brown and white dog that chases his tennis ball around red square count as a colourful character?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement