Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just how much of a threat are Zombies?

• 10-02-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

As a person who spends too much time thinking about Zombies, I'm wondering just how much of the threat they would be?

I mean their only real method of attack is a frontal assault, they have no learning capacity, so a trick used on one can be used on them all. If we're talking about the old school Zombies, they are very slow. The can't use any tools and or weapons and only have the bodies to attack with.

So other than there being so many of them, they would be a relatively easy foe for humans to fight against.

What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Zombies on their own are fairly easy to deal with, they have poor strength, there's no way they could inflict all that much damage but they don't need to as their real objective is to pass on the disease.

I think the real problem they will cause is putting a stop to international trade, if that where to happen for more than a week the entire world would fall apart as companies can't get supplies and people can't get food.

People have always travelled and exchanged culture it's what made us unique from the possibly more intelligent Neanderthals. If we can't travel and trade our way of life is fudged.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

How would it stop international trade? Because countries would block it to stop infection? There has been international trade way before the invention of the engine, people would just have to go back to using sail power again.

Have you read the book World War Z? In it they use music to lure the Zombies out and then pick them off. It got me thinking that you could have a dirigible with a shooting gallery to hover over a city, play music and take the Z'ds out from the sky.

Just like we didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to eat tofu, nor did we mange to do that with out being the most creative species out there. While there would be many dificulties, I think that a Zombie apocolypse could be survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

How would it stop international trade?

in a word, Quarantine.

ye remember how foot and mouth caused a stir a few years back? multiply that by a hundred. The first thing any government is going to do is try to contain the threat. It would ultimately end up in a city-wide/country-wide blockade or quarantine.

True about quarantine, but as trade is so important, and once knowledge of the disease and how it is spread is known, then I think it would allowed again. They might have to isolate and observe people, but it could be gotten around.

Anyway, we'd be lucky in Ireland that we have more than enough food to feed people. Also, we could use Ethanol as a substitute for petrol.

trade is important but we can live without a lot of it. Probably all of it. but MAN its gonna be Harsh without teabags!

• Advertisement

Ha! We'll have to find a new Mark O'Polo to head off to china and bring back tay.

yeah i dont fancy any homegrown tea here in fairness, i think kenya is the next nearest country to trade for tea :/ i could be wrong though

trade is important but we can live without a lot of it. Probably all of it. but MAN its gonna be Harsh without teabags!
    The disease will spread quickest through public transport like airports, ports, train stations, so the staff at these places will be likely to become infected in the early days. That would effectively reduce nations ability to import export and keep public transport going.

People won't be able to just use sail boats instead as they won't be allowed to land at their destination if navies are preventing you from doing so. This will create a knock on effect, if companies can't import things as simple as screws, glues, paper or any replacement parts there work essentially will have to shut down. If companies can't employ then the companies and their employees can't pay tax which makes it difficult for the country to respond to the zombie outbreaks.

While Ireland can technically feed the nation with the food we produce it won't be a varied diet and will more than likely consist of milk and beef up until the farmers can't produce large amounts any more because they can't run their equipment because they can't get the replacement parts for their milking machines.

The world can't support 7 billion people without the modern transport network running smoothly. At best it can support 1 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

acording to this map we can get tea in Portugal
    tea-production-map.jpg
    thats not so Far

Coffee on the other hand
    coffee-origins-map.jpg
    Thats gonna be a bit more of a trek

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    acording to this map we can get tea in Portugal
    tea-production-map.jpg
    thats not so Far

Coffee on the other hand
    coffee-origins-map.jpg
    Thats gonna be a bit more of a trek
    As long as the GPS system stays going it should be doable but I wouldn't like to try any long range travel without it. All those skills have been lost.

• Advertisement

Not at all, I sail a bit and I can tell you that those skills are fairly straightforward, North South is relativley simple, East West may be a bit more of an issue but its Doable with a bit of practice, GPS is a brilliant invention tho, and those satelites should remainin Orbit for Decades

Okay, well now I know that us Irish are ready for Zday! Bring on the undead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I think you guys should have a look into the fact that a short supply of tea frightens you more than the zombies themselves. You might end up risking your lives for a few teabags. :pac:

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    I think you guys should have a look into the fact that a short supply of tea frightens you more than the zombies themselves. You might end up risking your lives for a few teabags. :pac:
    And end up getting the wrong kind of teabag.

I think you guys should have a look into the fact that a short supply of tea frightens you more than the zombies themselves. You might end up risking your lives for a few teabags. pacman.gif

Priorities Man, Priorities.

Everyone knows that theres ya cant kill Z's without a good muga Tae and a few aul Hang Sangs.

That reminds me, Mustard, wheres our nearest Mustard supply???

closest Mustard here
    http://www.francemag.com/france-travel-travel-guide-and-information-guide-to-french-regions-and-departments-guide-to-burgundy--330
    Burgundy in France, Whoever goes for it should grab some Wine and a few Kilos of daycent Cheese

no way, easy singles last forever and they taste great on everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭NoobSaibot5

You know, I've always figured it would happen in the future, that it'd be the end of mankind. Give it time, it'll happen.

We'll all run out of teabags. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

they're about as threatening as a zomie thread!

so, very threatening then?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭Paddy Bateman

As a person who spends too much time thinking about Zombies, I'm wondering just how much of the threat they would be?

I mean their only real method of attack is a frontal assault, they have no learning capacity, so a trick used on one can be used on them all. If we're talking about the old school Zombies, they are very slow. The can't use any tools and or weapons and only have the bodies to attack with.

So other than there being so many of them, they would be a relatively easy foe for humans to fight against.

What do ye think?
    You do know they don't really exist so there is no need to worry

that's what you think Paddy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

You do know they don't really exist so there is no need to worry

They don't really exist yet and it's that attitude that will get you killed when Z-Day rolls around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

does anyone ever feel sad that it might not happen in our lifetime?

<insert emotional response that i really don't want it to happen>

but i feel bad that its a possibility that this might happen a generation or two down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    They don't really exist yet and it's that attitude that will get you killed when Z-Day rolls around.

The non-believer's are always the first to go.

Zombies are going to be a massive threat, especially in the early stages of the Outbreak. Everybody says how they can't run, yet I think/believe/speculate (whichever) that in the first hours/days of a person being Zombified, they'll be able to run, before the decomposition that will make this impossible kicks in. Until this happens, there's no reason that they cannot run.

It's not just that though, you also have to deal with the psychological element of them - they are an enemy that does not get tired, does not get hungry, and will not stop. Alongside this is the potential that the zombies could be your loved ones, your friends, colleagues, anybody.

However, island nations like ours do have an advantage somewhat - if we cut off most transportation with other nations, bar for import/export purposes, which could be heavily guarded, then we could stand a relatively good chance of survival.

Zombies are going to be a massive threat, especially in the early stages of the Outbreak. Everybody says how they can't run, yet I think/believe/speculate (whichever) that in the first hours/days of a person being Zombified, they'll be able to run, before the decomposition that will make this impossible kicks in. Until this happens, there's no reason that they cannot run.
    I would say there would be a madness stage where the person is still alive but under the influence of the disease. I wouldn't say they'll be hugely coherent and would be similar to a drunk in their abilities.
    It's not just that though, you also have to deal with the psychological element of them - they are an enemy that does not get tired, does not get hungry, and will not stop.
    They will have to stop eventually, we get tired to prevent damage to our body. If they don't stop they'll just rip themselves to bits which is what I think will slow them down over time, probably a very short period of time.
    However, island nations like ours do have an advantage somewhat - if we cut off most transportation with other nations, bar for import/export purposes, which could be heavily guarded, then we could stand a relatively good chance of survival.
    Until the American war ships with no home to sail to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Zombies: Zombies Are Blind, The Walk And They Have No Brains....So We Have A Chance With A Zombie But Dont Go To Close Because The Bite!

How To Kill A Zombie: Hit It In The Head With A Anything. The Best Thing To Hit With It Is A Brick, Or A Baseball Bat......Or If You Have A Gun, Use The Bullets Wisely. Dont Just Go Off Shooting Any Zombie, Only Shoot The Zombies That Are Attacking Your Or A Teammate. If A Horde Of Zombies Are Headin Your Way, Take All The Things You Need And Run. Run As Far As You Can, Because If You Hide, Remember They Have Very Good Smelling!

How To Survive: Dont Trust Anybody That Looks Odd....Because They Could Turn On You And Kill You. But Anyway, How To Survive A Zombie Attack. If You Live A Way From Loved Ones Go To Them. Go To Anybody That You Want To Go To Your Choice. Once You Have Your Friends, Find A Good Place Faraway From The Attck. But Bring Supplies. Bring Food Lots Of Water And Wepons. The Best Place To Go Is The Countryside, Not The City. So Have Lots Of Food And Water. Because That's The Important Thing.....
    Thanks For Reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭jameverywhere

When You Capitalise Every Word In Your Sentence (Seriously How Do You Do That It Slows Typing Down So Much)

It Makes It Very Hard And Tedious To Read

Just So You Know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

There would be two main problems.

The initial panic and confusion.
    If we have any chance of survival on a national scale , we need to react quickly and contain.

Big urban centres will suffer the most casualties particularly those that have an international airport. Get out of heavily populated areas, the more people, the more potential carriers.

the second worry is if the virus develops and is easier to contract.

Advertisement