Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Kilmartens Centra is 24hr, however after midnight it's just a window drawer until around 6am, Dolans Esso outside Ballinasloe is a 24 hour station with walk in facility all the time, it is a frequent stop for the night patrol Gardaí so it's never been targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

westtip wrote: »
    I have found this great motorway service area off the N4 - Its called Mother Hubbards, come off the motorway at Kinnegad coming east or at Kilcock going west - avoid the toll - and pick up a breakfast and complimentary Indo for 5.99, take your toll off that makes breakfast 3.09 and take off the "free" Indo it makes breakfast just over a euro - and you can join all the other toll hoppers! And b4 someone comes in to tell me MH has always been there....please spare me ......

What kind of price is a litre of fuel at this "service station"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What kind of price is a litre of fuel at this "service station"

I nearly made much the same comment earlier but IIRC that branch of Mother Hubbards has diesel pumps... no petrol though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Just saw a VMS on the M1 NB this evening opposite the MSA south of Dundalk which indicated that works would commence on the NB MSA at this location on the 02/11/09. All works so far here have been on the SB side. Same at Lusk MSA so I presume works down here NB will start there around the same time as well.

Seems to be a full on construction program at both these sites so far. Loads of heavy grounds work been done in the first few days on-site at both MSA's.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only the westbound M4 MSA has any obvious action on it yet, no VMS and nothing at all on-ground visible for the eastbound one.

• Advertisement

more shots of the Ballough MSA

You can see the pylon bases. These are for a 110kV line to Stephenstown just outside Balbriggan. ESB Networks let the Planning permission lapse and are in the process of reapplying. given it'll run over the service area, i'd imagine there could be issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Its a real shame they don't have this screened off from the M1 as it's just getting annoying now with people slowing down and breaking to have a look across at the works in peak traffic.

Yeah, I'd have thought that the slip on and off the M1 mainline was easy, and could be done much later in the project than now. The fact traffic slows down, allows rubernecking which slows it down more. the first day I was there you could see the traffic speeding up again midway through the works. Midterm break has much less traffic this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Guys could you do some list or map of planned MSA?
    Which ones are under construction, which ones are leased but just awaiting construction to start, which ones are in the design process, and which ones are, as we say in Poland, "deep in the forest"

Some of the names are meaningless for me ;)

As far as I know there's only 3 getting built( or six if you count both directions at 3 different places)
    the one near me is here
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.535819,-6.207962&spn=0.01362,0.03459&t=h&z=15

There's another one being built further North on the M1 and another on the M4.

The rest are all deep in the forest.

• Advertisement

Geogregor wrote: »
    Guys could you do some list or map of planned MSA?
    Which ones are under construction, which ones are leased but just awaiting construction to start, which ones are in the design process, and which ones are, as we say in Poland, "deep in the forest"

Some of the names are meaningless for me ;)
    You'll find the location maps in the documents here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 scotthallBMW

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Apple bought a Burger King franchise for all the restaurants, however as a minimum as part of the contract they must run/open 12 Burger Kings so as well as the service stations some of the existing Apple garages convenience stores will be changed in Burger Kings. Any new service stations on the motorways that Apple/Top/Davy operate will be Burger Kings.

Its not often the Golden Arches are usurped, are you sure its not McDonalds? they are usually the first at every cross roads. Nothing on Applegreens web site on the Restaurant offer, maybe its wimpy if they have that franshise, you'd think they'd be shouting about it if so

sh

Its not often the Golden Arches are usurped, are you sure its not McDonalds? they are usually the first at every cross roads. Nothing on Applegreens web site on the Restaurant offer, maybe its wimpy if they have that franshise, you'd think they'd be shouting about it if so

sh
    It's Burger King, 100%.

I was told by someone who is working on the project in a professional level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

It's Burger King, 100%.

I was told by someone who is working on the project in a professional level

FFS, I'd rather McDonald's - Don't like Burger King! :(

I'd a look at the M1 MSA's at Ballough t'other day. They have the kerbing down for the off ramp and a decent amount of the on ramp, It looks fairly narrow, compared to the off ramp at the Courtlough junction, but that may be by design to get people to slow down quickly. the Northbound MSA is being fenced off with pallisade fencing and the HS is cone-d off
    I might try get some pics in the morning if it's bright and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Was on the R692 Fethard Road crossing the M8 at Cashel the other day and noticed that the direction signs on the new roundabout have brown service area signs on them even though they've not started building it yet.

I might try get some pics in the morning if it's bright and dry.
    Two here from Balbriggan.net

motorwayservice09a.jpg

motorwayservice09b.jpg

The wearing course is down on the M1S msa at lusk and there's tarmac down on the Northbound MSA too- it was wet so I could only see steam and not what level of tarmac was there. I've drive by videos of both, I've to figure out how to host them maybe a infrastructure board a/c on youtube if I can make one.

Full slips are now in place at all three pairs but they haven't adjusted the road markings yet (so theres still solid yellow). Steel frame of the building is up w/b on the M4 one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

NB steel structure taking shape also at the two M1 MSA's at Ballough and also Dundalk. Wasn't much progress over the Christmas period. I think they had a full break on both sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I still cant see what all the fuss is about these MSAs and why they are crying money when it comes to them.

Just driving past a few in England a few days ago, all they are is a shop and a petrol station and a toilet. They shouldnt cost the outrageous amount of money they are costing. They are quick and simple to build but are one of the most useful things on the motorway.

The UK MSAs are a lot more complex than ours even! General standard for one in the UK is a petrol station and a large facilities building - which you may have missed if you thought it was just a petrol station. Our ones are going to be just big petrol stations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

MYOB wrote: »
    The UK MSAs are a lot more complex than ours even! General standard for one in the UK is a petrol station and a large facilities building - which you may have missed if you thought it was just a petrol station. Our ones are going to be just big petrol stations

Some of the MSAs in the UK have hotels!

All we'll need in Ireland is MSAs with petrol stations, shops, cafés, toilets, and maybe secure overnight parking for trucks.

The longest possible motorway journey in Ireland will be from Cork to north of Dundalk, and even that has a dual-carriageway section between Naas and the M50.

In the UK you can go from Exeter to Glasgow or Folkestone to Glasgow by motorway - slightly longer journeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Really not happy about there only being a Burger King available.

I don't eat their rubbish and would appreciate a lot more choice.
    Absolute disgrace, so much for a Government agency promoting healthy eatiing.

Also, can't understand why the NRA should fund the building and then hand it to a private enterprise for them to cream the profits.

Finally, think in a way that NRA's original policy of no service areas was not that bad, as there are plenty of places near exits off motorways, and this leads to better safety as there will be less exit lanes etc.

For some perspective, USA has a huge interstate network with absolutely no service areas on the roads. You can drive from New York to LA and you must exit the road for services!

In the UK you can go from Exeter to Glasgow or Folkestone to Glasgow by motorway - slightly longer journeys!

You can also go from London to Birmingham, passing about half a dozen service stations. Contrast that with Dublin to Galway, just one!

MYOB wrote: »

Many of those MSAs share the (non vehicle) facilities between both carriageways, one building with a pedestrian bridge or even on the bridge.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really not happy about there only being a Burger King available.

I don't eat their rubbish and would appreciate a lot more choice.
    Absolute disgrace, so much for a Government agency promoting healthy eatiing.

Also, can't understand why the NRA should fund the building and then hand it to a private enterprise for them to cream the profits.

Finally, think in a way that NRA's original policy of no service areas was not that bad, as there are plenty of places near exits off motorways, and this leads to better safety as there will be less exit lanes etc.

For some perspective, USA has a huge interstate network with absolutely no service areas on the roads. You can drive from New York to LA and you must exit the road for services!

+1

There really should be a wider choice of food available, even a sandwich van in the carpark would improve it!

As for the US, the network is so large and distances so great that it would be almost impossible to place them correctly, on an 8 hour journey five minutes of off motorway driving makes little difference.

There will be plenty of sandwiches available on the sites, in the Applegreen shops. No one is forcing you to eat a Burger King if your hungry as there will be choice.

Also plenty of people eat Burger King and remain at a normal weight and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

You can also go from London to Birmingham, passing about half a dozen service stations. Contrast that with Dublin to Galway, just one!

I know - but look at the population of Birmingham and London combined - about 3 times the population of Ireland!

That route could do with one MSA on the Dublin side of Kinnegad (somewhere west of the M4 toll), plus another one between Athlone and Ballinasloe.

One MSA roughly every 50 to 60kms would be plenty for the time being if the NRA can get their act together to sort that out.

Here's an article from 2000 about MSAs across Europe. I wonder if anything has changed in the past 10 years?
    Britain's motorway service stations are among the worst in Europe, according to a survey by motoring organisations published yesterday.

Inspectors placed them eighth out of nine countries, ahead only of Spain. The food in the British facilities was considered sub-standard and expensive, while the service was poor. Motorway services in Germany were considered to be the best, followed by those in Switzerland and Holland.

Of the 10 British service stations inspected, five were rated "acceptable" and three "poor". The two rated "very poor" were Granada Woolley Edge, on the M1 between junctions 38 and 39, where the food and the toilets came under fire from inspectors, and First Motorway Services Bolton on the M61 between junctions six and eight, where the toilets were also said to be unclean and where there were inadequate "outdoor" facilities. The tests took place over the Easter holidays, with each service area visited twice

The research by the Automobile Association (AA) and other European motoring organisations praised the British services for their access roads, internal layout, signposting and shops, but found them expensive, with sub-standard service. Almost all were considered poor for pedestrian safety in the car parks.

Although the range of food on offer was considered to be good, its quality was not. The best food was found at service areas in France, Italy and Spain, but these countries performed poorly in hygiene tests, where inspectors took swabs from handles, surfaces and nappy-changing tables.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/substandard-motorway-services-are-some-of-the-worst-in-europe-714444.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

There will be plenty of sandwiches available on the sites, in the Applegreen shops. No one is forcing you to eat a Burger King if your hungry as there will be choice.

Also plenty of people eat Burger King and remain at a normal weight and healthy.

Ok, but what if I want a warm meal. My only choice is a processed burger?

What if I want a breakfast?

They should be either food courts with different choices or a Cafe with a menu.

Advertisement