Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sick Leave Rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭pah

I assume you work for the public service.... every public service worker I know is a fcuking scumbag.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77109550
    I have been arrested for ....Criminal Damage Breaking and entering Burglary Drunk and disorderly (many times) Wasting police time dangerous driving assault GBH. All before my 18th birthday and haven't being done for anything in the succeeding 14 years. It is safe to say I was a compete bollocks in my youth .

In your youth?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ladjacket wrote: »
    We would have a number of workers in our organisation who live/have lived in Northern Ireland in the past, and they are astounded at the level of benefits available to us, the dole in particular.

Considering that in the north you can self certify yourself as sick for 7 days allow me to call total bulls**t on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Bambi wrote: »
    Considering that in the north you can self certify yourself as sick for 7 days allow me to call total bulls**t on that.

What exactly are you calling bull**** on, the fact that people in the south of ireland get generous benefits compared to northern ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

I work in an office where people are quick to spill their guts on all forms of their lives.

This morning, I overheard a member of staff being asked by their supervisor to train on a new element to her job. Her response was that she would not do it because she is not capable of learning new things and that if she was forced to do it, she would get herself signed off on sick leave. She went on to say how she is in receipt of a medical card and uses it when she has a cold or hay fever etc.

Another girl piped up who has just returned from sick leave last week to say she is sick of the place already and might get herself signed out again as she 'had better craic when she was off'.

What the hell is wrong with people these days!? I earn just over the minimum wage, pay my revenue contributions and the USC, rent, bills food and by the end of the month I am awaiting the next wage packet with baited breath, yet some of these people are leading the high life.

And people wonder why others are emigrating?

Sick of it.

I dont believe this really happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jaysoose wrote: »
    What exactly are you calling bull**** on, the fact that people in the south of ireland get generous benefits compared to northern ireland?

I'm not from munster so I can't really answer that. I can tell that in dublin you aren't going to be able to sign yourself out of work for a week and that, in general, employment law in the UK is more favourable to employees that it is in Ireland. So yeah, callling bullsh**t here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

fedor.2. wrote: »
    I dont believe this really happened.

I would love to be able to tell you that I was lying, but unfortunately it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I wish I could take sick leave, I'm pregnant so I can't exactly self medicate when sick, but if I take even 2 days off work, nobody covers my work for me when I get back so it builds up daily.
    I went to the dr a few weeks ago with bad migraines and tiredness she wanted to give me a week off, but I told her I'd just take 2 ( this was a thur morn, I returned to work to get some stuff done and came back on the Monday) it took me over a week to catch up on all my work which in turn made me a bit stressed and sick.
    I've had off days where I really should take a day off but it's never worth it. I've spoken to my boss about this but nothing has been done.

So hearing this story really pisses me off. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

I would love to be able to tell you that I was lying, but unfortunately it is true.

Then she wants to be fired!! I have been a supervisor in my time and even when staff were hard to come by this would be a very serious matter. I would have ensured that the person concerned was scheduled for the said training and should they refuse..............Hey Ho it's off to Human Resources we go.....disciplinary procedures and eventual termination of employment.

I'll take her job Minimum Wage or not!!:cool:

silly wrote: »
    I wish I could take sick leave, I'm pregnant so I can't exactly self medicate when sick, but if I take even 2 days off work, nobody covers my work for me when I get back so it builds up daily.
    I went to the dr a few weeks ago with bad migraines and tiredness she wanted to give me a week off, but I told her I'd just take 2 ( this was a thur morn, I returned to work to get some stuff done and came back on the Monday) it took me over a week to catch up on all my work which in turn made me a bit stressed and sick.
    I've had off days where I really should take a day off but it's never worth it. I've spoken to my boss about this but nothing has been done.

So hearing this story really pisses me off. :/

I really feel for you in this situation, obviously there are people out there who are in genuine need of sick leave, but then you have people like this who are taking the p1ss all the time, it really gets me annoyed, then i feel like i am the one who should just leave the job, the fact that i share an office with people like this...angers me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

as to how she has a medical card, i have no idea, think its to do with single mother etc. She is at work telling everyone who will listen how she has a council house, medical card etc.

As an aside, a girl in her team has a daughter who has chronic asthma but cant get a medical card - needless to say it does nothing for team spirit!
    I know the feeling but I cant get a medical card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When your employer is informed about your pregnancy aren't they supposed to have a meeting with you and work out a plan for you?

So lighter duties for a physical job like no heaving lifting if you work in a pub.
    Or in an office have people cover for you and ensure you're not working very late to meet deadlines or left with an impossible workload.

Some places like accounts work late at month end and you would need to be let finish at a reasonable hour
    I've spoken to my boss about this but nothing has been done.

Could be worth looking into
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/

And your boss sounds like an clown for running the business so short staffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

mikemac1 wrote: »

When your employer is informed about your pregnancy aren't they supposed to have a meeting with you and work out a plan for you?

So lighter duties for a physical job like no heaving lifting if you work in a pub.
    Or in an office have people cover for you and ensure you're not working very late to meet deadlines or left with an impossible workload.

Some places like accounts work late at month end and you would need to be let finish at a reasonable hour
    I've spoken to my boss about this but nothing has been done.

Could be worth looking into
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/

And your boss sounds like an clown for running the business so short staffed.
    Oh you have no idea. There is a girl in a different department here who isn't pregnant but has some health issues. They are down 2 staff in that section and she is practically on her own. She is really under pressure but they won't take on anyone to help her.
    We have 2 girls on mat leave, nobody in to cover them.
    This place is a joke. I'd love to get up and leave but then I'm the bloody loser!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If I was that girl's manager I would be looking for reasons to give her the heave ho. I'd be all over her being a couple of minutes late here and there etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The boss should give her a raise. Just enough so that she no longer qualifies for the medical card, rent relief and whatever else she's boasting about.

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm not from munster so I can't really answer that. I can tell that in dublin you aren't going to be able to sign yourself out of work for a week and that, in general, employment law in the UK is more favourable to employees that it is in Ireland. So yeah, callling bullsh**t here.

But you quoted a post about benefits and the dole in particular then call bull**** regards employment law? Weird post just got weirder.

What do you mean that you cant sign yourself out of work for a week in dublin..you can get a sick note from the doctor and be out..your talking nonsense.

it is the system that is to blame in general though. It is a sad state of affairs that people can have just as much money sitting at home as they would have if they working a 35 hour week. And if I am being totally honest, I cannot say for certain that I would not do the same if I was in her position, but the fact remains that these types of laws are too lax in this country.

There are thousands of hard working men and women up and down the country who were made redundant or lost their jobs and need their dole money or their benefits, and I have nothing but sympathy for them, I see it in my own family.

But on the flip side, the attitude of others that the dole is there so why the hell would i go out to work...it really makes my blood boil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mikemac1 wrote: »
    A pretty ineffective union so if the OP and the others are earning little over minimum wage

An employer that pays you just about the minimum they legally have to does not value you much at all

That is increasingly becoming the norm. Deep labour pool, supply v demand, etc.

I would class myself as extremely conscientious in my job, but I always reckoned only around 40% of staff step up to the mark, with the rest not giving a toss and just 'turning up'. I was talking to a company director one day (not the one I work for BTW) and this came up in conversation. 'I think you're wrong' he said to me - 'it's actually around 25% who step up to the mark'.

An indictment of the attitude of a lot of people unfortunately.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

it is the system that is to blame in general though. It is a sad state of affairs that people can have just as much money sitting at home as they would have if they working a 35 hour week. And if I am being totally honest, I cannot say for certain that I would not do the same if I was in her position, but the fact remains that these types of laws are too lax in this country.

There are thousands of hard working men and women up and down the country who were made redundant or lost their jobs and need their dole money or their benefits, and I have nothing but sympathy for them, I see it in my own family.

But on the flip side, the attitude of others that the dole is there so why the hell would i go out to work...it really makes my blood boil.

Nail. Head. The system is far too generous, with, in a lot of cases, dole almost being as good as working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I would class myself as extremely conscientious in my job, but I always reckoned only around 40% of staff step up to the mark, with the rest not giving a toss and just 'turning up'. I was talking to a company director one day (not the one I work for BTW) and this came up in conversation. 'I think you're wrong' he said to me - 'it's actually around 25% who step up to the mark'.

An indictment of the attitude of a lot of people unfortunately.:(

There was a poster here recently who had his own business and said

One third of employees are excellent and work well
    One third try very hard and do their best but their work isn't great so they need help and training and they'll improve
    And one third don't care and they would be putting in little effort even if you doubled their salary

Sounds about right to me though it's a huge generalization

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

The only rational thing to do at this stage would be to poison the coffee machine in the canteen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Oh how did I know you were going to say she was a single mother. Sure we get everything handed to us on a plate. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

not public service - and even if it was, its nice to know you can generalise an entire workforce into one category.
    It wasn't a generalisation looking at what he/she posted. It was "every person they knew that worked in the public sector were scumbags".

That may be true.

ash23 wrote: »
    Oh how did I know you were going to say she was a single mother. Sure we get everything handed to us on a plate. :rolleyes:

Is he not allowed to say that she is a single mother or something? some posters on boards are ridiculously defensive at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

If you refuse to comply with reasonable instructions in a job you can be fired so it's all f***ing spoof from her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I am in the PS I get 7 uncertified sick days (hangover Days, but the bastards policy is you have to ring in before 9,3o, like who gets up at 9.30 when you are hungover, I must see the union about that).

I am paid a full wage for any sick leave I just need a cert from a doctor and doctors god bless them will give you anything you want, once they get their fee and it is nearly impossible to sack me.

But to my credit I never go sick or use the uncertified days. But many in my dept do. EVEN I KNOW HOW RIDICULES THIS SITUATION IS in the PS.

So I don't want to read any posts about how hard things are in the PS and what a great job and work ethic we have.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Is he not allowed to say that she is a single mother or something? some posters on boards are ridiculously defensive at this stage.

No, it's just that as a single parent working full time, she will only get a medical card if she meets the means testing limits (which is easy to do when you're paying rent, childcare and have a kid to support on one wage).

She will also be paying a rate of rent on her council house that is rated based on her wages. Council house doesn't mean no rent. It's a percentage of your wage.

She probably won't get anything else if she is earning a decent full time wage. She may get Family Income Supplement.

She has the same means tests as everyone else and if she meets them then she's on sh!te money or has bigger expenses.

It never ceases to amaze me how people don't realise the same limits apply to all and it's not a case of "you're a single mother, here you go".

People think medical cards are the holy grail. I'd rather earn enough to not have one than earn little enough to have one.

Meh.

No, it's just that as a single parent working full time, she will only get a medical card if she meets the means testing limits (which is easy to do when you're paying rent, childcare and have a kid to support on one wage).

She will also be paying a rate of rent on her council house that is rated based on her wages. Council house doesn't mean no rent. It's a percentage of your wage.

She probably won't get anything else if she is earning a decent full time wage. She may get Family Income Supplement.

She has the same means tests as everyone else and if she meets them then she's on sh!te money or has bigger expenses.

It never ceases to amaze me how people don't realise the same limits apply to all and it's not a case of "you're a single mother, here you go".

People think medical cards are the holy grail. I'd rather earn enough to not have one than earn little enough to have one.

Meh.

firstly, let me say that her circumstances as a single mother matter not a jot to me. In my workplace, there are a number of single mothers who work themselves to the bone before going home to look after their kids. I have the utmost respect for these people. But please dont take the fact that I answered the question with the correct answer to mean I was slagging off single mothers.

Secondly, there are people in this country who have such a terrible attitude when it comes to work, I have been a supervisor over a team in the past year and the work that I have had to overlook has been shocking, and the attitude was that 'i dont get paid enough to care'.

Is it any wonder we are where we are?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

booboo88 wrote: »
    I know the feeling but I cant get a medical card.
    The boss should give her a raise. Just enough so that she no longer qualifies for the medical card, rent relief and whatever else she's boasting about.

Meh.

They are various ways of getting a medical card. The first is being unemployed etc... (obviously). She may also have a GP card and not the full medical card - and that is means tested.

And thirdly - she may have a medical card on MEDICAL grounds despite what she is earning. If you qualify for a full medical card on health grounds then it doesn't matter what you are earning.

I have a full medical card on health grounds (I'm not earning anything at the moment but so it is a moot point) - but my card is separate to my husband/kids - if they get a medical card it's means tested etc whereas mine isn't.

Secondly, there are people in this country who have such a terrible attitude when it comes to work, I have been a supervisor over a team in the past year and the work that I have had to overlook has been shocking, and the attitude was that 'i dont get paid enough to care'.

Is it any wonder we are where we are?

I agree and I work hard. However it is very very hard not to have this attitude at times.

There were periods over the last few years when I was working for less than I would have been getting had I given up work because of childcare costs. That is the reality. And there were times when I was in work, stressed to my eyeballs, being expected to work late and trying to figure out how to say I couldn't because I had to collect my child. At one point my last boss told me to come in on a saturday and bring my child with me!

And then you sit down and realise that between childcare, commuting etc you are working 40+ hours a week for an extra €30 a week. And you think "ok, that's fine".
    Until you realise that you've to pay extra childcare next week because it's mid term break and you realise that if you weren't working you'd be better off by about €30 per week. You'd still be broke on welfare but hey, you wouldn't be working 40 hours a week, getting bawled out of it by your boss and getting the guilt trip from your kid for never being home.

Thankfully I stuck it out and things turned around for me but I know I came very very close to giving up work and going on benefits. Not because I'm lazy or have a bad attitude. I'm sure there are people out there who do, but sometimes the bigger picture is more complicated than it first appears.
    Queen-Mise wrote: »
    They are various ways of getting a medical card. The first is being unemployed etc... (obviously). She may also have a GP card and not the full medical card - and that is means tested.

And thirdly - she may have a medical card on MEDICAL grounds despite what she is earning. If you qualify for a full medical card on health grounds then it doesn't matter what you are earning.

I have a full medical card on health grounds (I'm not earning anything at the moment but so it is a moot point) - but my card is separate to my husband/kids - if they get a medical card it's means tested etc whereas mine isn't.

A person on low wages with high childcare costs and high rent can also qualify for a full medical card. I work full time and have a full medical card on a means tested basis. I'll probably lose it this year because my circumstances have changed (rent reductions and pay increases) but I've qualified for it for the last few years while working full time.

• Advertisement

I agree and I work hard. However it is very very hard not to have this attitude at times.

There were periods over the last few years when I was working for less than I would have been getting had I given up work because of childcare costs. That is the reality. And there were times when I was in work, stressed to my eyeballs, being expected to work late and trying to figure out how to say I couldn't because I had to collect my child. At one point my last boss told me to come in on a saturday and bring my child with me!

And then you sit down and realise that between childcare, commuting etc you are working 40+ hours a week for an extra €30 a week. And you think "ok, that's fine".
    Until you realise that you've to pay extra childcare next week because it's mid term break and you realise that if you weren't working you'd be better off by about €30 per week. You'd still be broke on welfare but hey, you wouldn't be working 40 hours a week, getting bawled out of it by your boss and getting the guilt trip from your kid for never being home.

Thankfully I stuck it out and things turned around for me but I know I came very very close to giving up work and going on benefits. Not because I'm lazy or have a bad attitude. I'm sure there are people out there who do, but sometimes the bigger picture is more complicated than it first appears.

Fair play to you, as I said earlier there are a number of people who jump through hoops just to be at work on time etc and they deserve immense credit.

Also, just to point out, on the original post, the girl who said that she is bored since she came back sick leave and it was better craic when she was off is about 20 years old, no kids, living at home etc. No ties from what I can see.

Pardon the pun, but it is sickening!

Advertisement