Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭kirving

jimmy_t wrote: »
    downloaded and tested, quite a cool app and really handy and functional, when nokia do apps they really do good ones, really was wondering why this wasnt out there by nokia or built in when i was looking for it cos its so obviously needed but sure enough they were working on it, so far highly recommend it, excellent app

Your right, like Sports Tracker was excallent as an example. I got Situations today(on an N85 atm, would love an N8). At first I'll use it to automatically silence my phone when i get into college, but I'm sure I'll find a load more uses for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

any one having issues with the ovi social app ? keeps telling me to uninstall and reinstall to no success

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Social was updated a few days ago.

Go to your applications, choose Software Update, and Social should be in the list of updates (under "Optional").

You shouldn't need to uninstall first.

yeah I think its since the update I have had the issues, just will not start up for me .....
    when I update I get a script alert "sorry please uninstall and reinstall Communities" which seems to make no difference

Before you go deleting, how old is your SIM card? There are some problems people on the web had that were caused by using old SIM-cards. It appears that some of the Ovi services use your SIM to authenticate, even if you're not connecting over the network.

I haven't had the problem myself, so can't offer much more than a way to do what it's suggesting:

To delete, go to Applications Manager, long-press on Social, and choose "Delete".

To reinstall, you can directly get the application here:
    http://nmota.messaging.nokia.com/clients/Social_1_2_update.sisx

( 2.5 Mbyte file )

Either:

1. Open the phone's web-browser and navigate to that URL. The package will automatically install when it downloads.

or

2. Download the file to your PC, then any of these methods to install:
    a. Send it to the phone over Bluetooth (will automatically install when you tap the "File Received" message you get), or
    b. Install it with Ovi Suite [Windows only]
    c. Copy it to USB stick or phone memory, then open it using phone's file manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

is the ovi suite windows only? please say no. i ordered an n8 today & have a mac.

maybe i should switch to iphone 4 or the desire?

I use a Mac and the N8 without any problems. This isn't an iPhone, you don't need to run software on your PC to use the phone.

Software update is done over-the-air: connect with WiFi and you're no slower than using a PC.

For backups, there's a Nokia phone Sync utility for Mac (and windows too), and a plugin for Apple's iSync.

For file transfer, you can use Apple's own Bluetooth File Exchange or connect directly via USB and copy the files. [Place the phone into Mass Storage mode first: Settings > Connectivity > USB > Mass Storage ]

Apparently, Ovi Suite for Mac is "coming soon", but it has been for years. Honestly, there's not much you actually need it for.

sim card chnaged within last six months , probably around september if memory serves, will try the install from PC and see how it goes, I actually quite like the app and think its good

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭goatboy1000

Davy wrote: »
    Ok it sounds like its just a settings problem, and not a network problem as you have full signal.

Go to menu > settings > connectivity > settings > destinations and tell me whats in the 'internet' section and whats in 'wap' and which has the little tick beside it?

There are three access points in the internet section, two wireless and the third is 'Vodafone ISP' - priority 3
    There's one access point in the WAP section, just called vodafone live.
    The tick is beside Internet.
    Thanks for the help, it's wrecking my head!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

There are three access points in the internet section, two wireless and the third is 'Vodafone ISP' - priority 3
    There's one access point in the WAP section, just called vodafone live.
    The tick is beside Internet.
    Thanks for the help, it's wrecking my head!

Are you trying to use the vodafone live 99 cent a day on prepay?

• Advertisement

Nope, I'm on 60 a month bill

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Nope, I'm on 60 a month bill

Change V isp to priority 1, open the web app. Go to options > settings > general > access point ans select 'ask when needed'. Then select Vf isp, or wlan whatever and should be ok.

Excellent, I've done that.
    I can check it out tomorrow, my 3g reception is not great at home anyway, but I'll test it out in town,
    Thanks again.

You dont have to be in 3G coverage,once you have coverage you can still connect

In that case it's still not working, just says 'connection failed' and 'connection unavailable' in the top left....

In that case it's still not working, just says 'connection failed' and 'connection unavailable' in the top left....

Even with 'Vf live'? You have signal to make calls dont you?

Yeah, it's connecting with vf live, just not with vodafone isp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ugni

Are nokia n8 phones easily unlocked?

ugni wrote: »
    Are nokia n8 phones easily unlocked?

About €40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I'd an n97 and while I liked it I wasn't 100% happy with it. The touch screen used to do my head in at times and it used to freeze on me. I kept everything up to date on it through ovi-suite. Also its too bulky so I actually bought a basic no frills phone and used it a lot at weekends!

Anyways I've just got an n8 and am loving it so far. Have updated the maps etc through ovi suite and the touch screen is lovely to use.

Phone is neater too but its a bit shiny so easy to slip out of sweaty hands but so far so good.

Just have to figure out how to save DVDs to it. Have about 1,000 songs on it now and the FM tuner is a bit more stable compared to the n97.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Anyone recommend a decent 32gb microSD card that works well with this phone? I know some cards really slow things up but it's mainly transfer times from my pc/hard drive I'd be concerned with, I wouldn't be running apps off it or anything. I assume even the cheaper ones can handle music playback?

I lost my mp3 player and recently bought one of these so I'm thinking it could do the job just as well if I had the storage.

don't shoot the messenger here but saw this on a review site about the nokia N8

Recommend to a friend? No
    "1. Old CPU — ARM11;
    2. Small RAM - 256Mb;
    3. Out-of-date OS — Symbian"

thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

who_ru wrote: »

"1. Old CPU — ARM11;
    2. Small RAM - 256Mb;

thoughts?
    BANG

"1. Old CPU — ARM11;
    2. Small RAM - 256Mb;

thoughts?

Oh dear God, save us from the measurebators... Complain about something tangible (use an N8 for a bit, and you will find things to complain about), but shouting specsheet numbers makes this guy look like a nerd... and a nerd who didn't even use the phone.

For the record, the "old" CPU and "out of date OS" on this phone still manage to be as fast as an Android phone with a 1GHz CPU in real use... with the proviso that the software is up to date and makes use of the on-board graphics acceleration.

As an example of that, I've the next version of the mapping application on mine, and it's fast and responsive despite using more computationally-expensive vector mapping. Any of the other new applications I've seen are very smooth in operation too. Older stuff written for Series60 is a bit clunky, but the new applications are very slick.

Why? Well, the CPU has a ****-hot GPU to help it with the eye-candy, and once you've got your graphics done, there's not much number-crunching you need to do on a phone handset. Games performance is up to iPhone4 levels, too, which says a lot for the GPU here (granted, it's only moving a third of the number of pixels around as the iPhone, but resolution is less important than smoothness).

Symbian is an incredibly efficient OS; the only proper real-time OS in the current market*, but it has been difficult to program because of this - it was designed when 4 Megabytes was a lot of memory, and 0.1 GHz was a fast CPU, so it puts a lot of responsibility back on the programmer, and 256 Mbyte of RAM is plenty - the OS and runtime aren't gobbling it all up before you get a look-in.

The major benefit of the "slow" CPU is longer battery life and low heat dissipation - much more useful features in a mobile device than having the "biggest number".

___
    * Android ultimately runs on top of a Linux kernel; Apple use BSD/Mach. Neither are real-time OS kernels, so once you've a lot of processes running, you need to bump up clock speed to achieve acceptable event latency.

isn't Meego going to be used in the new N series phones (after N8) from nokia?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

isn't Meego going to be used in the new N series phones (after N8) from nokia?
    symbian 4 is next

N9 is to be the first Nokia Meego handset. N8 is probably the last N-series handset to run Symbian, but this isn't really as big a deal as it sounds, because the difference between Symbian and Meego will get very small from a user's point of view.

There is no Symbian^4 anymore, just "Symbian". Features and applications that were to be released in the ^4 release will be released to current users as software updates as and when they are available.
    Nokia wrote:
    One benefit of this simplified approach is that planned and future improvements in Symbian will be developed in Qt and will be compatible with the existing Symbian^3 platform release. This means that Nokia's continued commitment to develop the Symbian platform will benefit not only future users of Symbian-based products, but will result in updates and upgrades for existing Symbian^3 users. The resulting change to a model of continuous evolution replaces the previous release-based model. Nokia will no longer refer to Symbian^3 or Symbian^4. The benefit to consumers will be a constant improvement in the experience of their Symbian-based Nokia products.
    Béal an capall

As far as I can see, the delays in Symbian^3 handsets were to largely allow them to ship with the Qt runtime libraries that will underpin future Nokia handset applications.

Qt (pronounced "cute", but don't hold that against them, it's probably less silly in Norwegian) is a common set of features that application developers can use to build their apps. Nokia make sure that these Qt features are provided on both Symbian and Meego handsets, and look the same on both OSes, so the upshot is that developers won't have to care whether the underlying system is Meego or Symbian, unless they're doing something very hardware specific. As a bonus, with a one-time (but big) download, a lot of Series60 handsets can run Qt apps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I spent about 3 hours last night unsuccessfully trying to use my N8 with my wireless router at home (BT Voyager 2110). It will connect but when I try to use the internet I get "Invalid Server Name" - is there anything I can do?? I even went to the trouble of specifying all the IPv4 parameters such as the IP address, default gateway, subnet mask etc. as recommended on a Nokia forum but still no joy. Has anyone else had the same problem, is it my router (which works fine with 2 laptops) or is it the N8?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

this used to happen to some of my old Nokia phones when I did a hard reset and then restored a full back up the only fix I found was to back up your contacts and do a hard reset and then just restore the contacts you'll have to do all the settings etc manual

• Advertisement

rickyjb wrote: »
    I spent about 3 hours last night unsuccessfully trying to use my N8 with my wireless router at home (BT Voyager 2110). It will connect but when I try to use the internet I get "Invalid Server Name" - is there anything I can do?? I even went to the trouble of specifying all the IPv4 parameters such as the IP address, default gateway, subnet mask etc. as recommended on a Nokia forum but still no joy. Has anyone else had the same problem, is it my router (which works fine with 2 laptops) or is it the N8?
    I suspect it's the router, tbh - I've had loads of problems with all kinds of mobile devices and DNS..

Dunno if this will help, but you could try making your WLAN the first-choice access point:

Settings > Connectivity > Settings > Destinations > Internet

Change the priority of the access points to make your WLAN first-priority: Long-press on your WLAN and choose "Change priority", then tap the first item in the list of WLANs.

Advertisement