Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

camper or commercial

Options
  • 15-03-2015 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

well , we all are familiar with the level of bureaucracy in this country. i need say no more on it.

im building a 4x4 truck with accommodation on the back. id like your opinion on which route might be easier please. There are a few dominant conflicting points in my head, ill try pen them as they come to me.

in the past ive spent a long time reading this forum.

okay.

i want to make a stealth camper. what are the minimum obvious exterior things i have to have if im building a camper box? - like windows. if it were up to me id just have a skylight.

it seems i have to personally know someone in the caravan club to gain access to insurance. I've never heard of anything more ridiculous.
    does that mean i have to go brownnose some random person....

theres a DOE now, thats no issue. does anyone know if there are structural guidelines for the box? - like type of frame construction etc.
    its a 3.5 ton truck and so i want to keep the box light. the truck itself weighs 2 tons.

i work in the software industry so i could go commercial and put it down as a mobile office, it might be simpler to do that. of course that brings its own bureaucratic headaches, however i think they might be less.

can i get opinions please on that ive pasted on here so far.... it might jog my memory as to other aspects im missing right now

.... ahhh, heres a biggie.... this truck was never registered in this country. i bought it last year. however it seems i might be liable to pay vrt or vat on it for every year its been in the country since 2001. sounds like fun doesnt it.

good morning to ye all )

what i have:

WPWKWr1.jpg

what i want:

1oNXwkm.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

it seems i have to personally know someone in the caravan club to gain access to insurance. I've never heard of anything more ridiculous.

I will just answer one part of your Thread.

Who ever told you that you had to be a member of a club to get insurance , gave you misleading information. You can try one of two companies Dolmen Insurance Brokers Ltd., 37/44 Butterly Business Park, Artane, Dublin 5, Ireland. or
    Stuart Insurances Ltd., Stuart Insurances Ltd.17-21 Temple Road, Blackrock, Co. Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

cheers man ) danke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

THIS DOCUMENT should be of use as guidance for what is entailed in getting the vehicle conversion approved.

The following are the minimum requirements for a vehicle to be categorised as a motor caravan
    (a) seats and table;
    (b) sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats;
    (c) cooking facilities;
    (d) storage facilities.
    The above equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment.
    However, the table may be designed to be easily removable.

NOTE: windows are not mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

sunchaser wrote: »

I will just answer one part of your Thread.

Who ever told you that you had to be a member of a club to get insurance , gave you misleading information. You can try one of two companies Dolmen Insurance Brokers Ltd., 37/44 Butterly Business Park, Artane, Dublin 5, Ireland. or
    Stuart Insurances Ltd., Stuart Insurances Ltd.17-21 Temple Road, Blackrock, Co. Dublin

Thats interesting as both Dolmen and Stuarts documentation specifically excludes trucks. Dolmens also requires access from the cab on any type of camper and specifically excludes box body conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Regardless of the Revenue rules, I think you will encounter alot of difficulty if there is no access from the cab to the living compartment.

Great project, I would love a 4x4 camper. Maybe for insurance you could contact a company that provides insurance to overlanders etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

It would be worthwhile incorporating some kind of a hatch between the cab and the back. Could be handy anyway. I see the people that are touring South America in the Unimog have a hatch/small door into the cab.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    THIS DOCUMENT should be of use as guidance for what is entailed in getting the vehicle conversion approved.

The following are the minimum requirements for a vehicle to be categorised as a motor caravan
    (a) seats and table;
    (b) sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats;
    (c) cooking facilities;
    (d) storage facilities.
    The above equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment.
    However, the table may be designed to be easily removable.

NOTE: windows are not mentioned.

I imagine Revenue may argue that it is an implied condition even though their amount or size is not expressed. It'd be interesting to see where they stood on it.

Classic would save you a loada grief. What year is the Mog or is it Iveco?

appreciate your replies, cheers

its a bremach, year of manufacture 2001, so i reckon that rules out classic insurance, good idea though

it has a iveco 2.8 engine, 2000 km on the clock, engine runs very sweet.

Redd4 wrote: »
    appreciate your replies, cheers

its a bremach, year of manufacture 2001, so i reckon that rules out classic insurance, good idea though

Has it ever been registered in any country?

• Advertisement

here there, nope, it hasnt

its going to a fun process id say navigating the red tape

Redd4 wrote: »
    here there, nope, it hasnt

its going to a fun process id say navigating the red tape

I could be very wrong but I think it think the registration number will be whatever year it is first registered, ie it'll be a 151 if registered now, regardless of when it was manufactured.
    I'm pretty sure I remember Ford Transits coming out of a huge private company and they had only been used within the private grounds of that company so there was no need to register them. When they were sold on they got plates from the year of registration even though that model hadn't been produced in 10 years.
    The downside could be that Revenue may base their valuation on a 2015 camper rather than a 2001 camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Moomat wrote: »
    I imagine Revenue may argue that it is an implied condition even though their amount or size is not expressed. It'd be interesting to see where they stood on it.

It's the EU requirements which determine if the vehicles is given EU Vehicle Category 'motor caravan'.

It's The Revenue who determine if they (The Revenue) are prepared to grant it the motor taxation class 'motor caravan' (€102 per year), which is a 'local' taxation issue.

On the RF101 (Registration Certificate / Log Book) a vehicle may be classified at (D.3) Body Type as 'motor caravan', but at (J.2) Motor Taxation Class be denied 'motor caravan' classification if Revenue considers it fails to meet the criteria for that Motor Tax classification.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

You can indeed have a 4x4, over 3.5 ton motorhome. When you want to officially import it, bring it along to get it imported and they will value it, and check it is a motorhome (list of things listed above).

but, not many companies will entertain insuring it, probably the only one will be FBD.

Merv.

Advertisement