Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thin coat on dog

• 25-09-2011 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

I dont know if my lad has always been like this or what but I can really see his skin spots through his fur. Very noticable on his underbelly. He's an all white JRT with just a brown patch on one eye. he dont seem out of sorts. he is though partial to grooming himself, methodically cleaning his paws before sleeping.
    checked him for fleas and ticks nothing on him.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Might be a good idea to get him a flea treatment anyway just to be on the safe side and if you see no improvement it might be no harm to take a trip the vets. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Could be an allergy or mites - the fact that he's cleaning his paws and licking himself bald would suggest something is irrating him. My guy gets an allergy sometimes from the grass in the park - I give him pirotin for an few days and it usually sorts it. I also make sure he gets a swim/wash at least once a week to wash any allergens off him when I know it's bothering him - size is on your side here since he's a jrt - my guy is a retriever lol! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

tk123 wrote: »
    Could be an allergy or mites - the fact that he's cleaning his paws and licking himself bald would suggest something is irrating him. My guy gets an allergy sometimes from the grass in the park - I give him pirotin for an few days and it usually sorts it. I also make sure he gets a swim/wash at least once a week to wash any allergens off him when I know it's bothering him - size is on your side here since he's a jrt - my guy is a retriever lol! :pac:

thanks he's a bit mucky alright might give him a wash tonight see it it will help. May bring him to the vet if i'm not happy with his coat over the next week. it's very dry he may need a diet supplement or summit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I've a dog with a very thin coat and you can see every blemish his underbelly is so sparsely covered - always been that way and has no skin diseases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

I've a Chihuahua with similar colouring (mostly white with some light brown markings), you can clearly see her skin on her back legs and belly, there is nothing wrong with her it's just that her coat is thin and light in colour.
    If you're worried or it has appeared suddenly have it looked at but otherwise I wouldn't worry. You're dog might need a little coat on when walking in winter though as he might get a chill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement