Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denta sticks substitute

• 23-09-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

I bought denta doggie sticks for my dog
    but realised she could never eat them (it was my previous dog used have them)
    but im wondering if there is anything like them but just softer.
    my dog is nearly 12 , shes in good health but she is a pom cross, so they can have weak teeth. the denta sticks are too much for her and she cant bite them.l

so anyone know anything, other than the doggie toothpaste as she isn't a fan of the toothbrush

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

what about a raw carrot? Or if still too hard you could cook it a bit and let it cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

My dog loves carrots. She gets one after every meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

+1 on the raw carrot. I've never been a fan of the Dentastix, found that they made our guy a bit hyper.

As well, we give our dog his kibble dry - this is meant to help clean plaque etc off their teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm currently trying Plaque off powder, you add it to their food.
    My bitch has a very small mouth and despite raw meaty bones, occasional brushing and dry food her teeth are not in good nick, and she's only two.
    Its only been two weeks but it seems to be working, her teeth look a little cleaner and her breath has improved too.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

where did u get that? i might give it a try. my dog's teeth are fine just not the strongest
    mymo wrote: »
    I'm currently trying Plaque off powder, you add it to their food.
    My bitch has a very small mouth and despite raw meaty bones, occasional brushing and dry food her teeth are not in good nick, and she's only two.
    Its only been two weeks but it seems to be working, her teeth look a little cleaner and her breath has improved too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

they would still be too hard i imagine, her front teeth are wearing away.
    plus she is a very fussy eater
    thanks
    Whispered wrote: »
    what about a raw carrot? Or if still too hard you could cook it a bit and let it cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I got the plaque off in a vet shop but I've seen it on zooplus i think, some pet shops may have it.
    If the dogs teeth are in good condition there's no need really, I got is as my dogs teeth are getting a build up of plaque on the back ones and the vet suggested it. (as apposed to knocking her out and cleaning her teeth in a year or so)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There's a Kong for elderly dogs now, you could fill it and give it to the pooch.
    I don't find Dentastix help clean my lots teeth but if it's just something to chew maybe the Kong senior would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

+1 on the plaque off. Iv been using it for about a month now and it's worked wonders on my cat who had very smelly breath and has already been through one dental in April but despite semi-regular brushing her teeth got bad again but since using the plaque off they have much improved and the smell is non-existant. I paid €16.50 for it in a petshop but I'm thinking it should last a good 6 months at least for a cat and a small dog, well worth the money.

Advertisement