Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What have you watched recently?

• 14-02-2009 9:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I need ideas for movies to watch! There's only so many I can think of... anyway, maybe this thread will give some ideas?

What I've watched recently (in the last week or so)...

Last Action Hero - Great 'negger movie, hadn't seen it in years. The kid in it is awful though, you just want to punch him in the face.

Hot Rod - Some genuinely funny moments, great soundtrack. But all these ''comedies'' are really quite disappointing overall.

Max Payne - Quite possibly the worst movie ever who's ONLY redeeming feature is Olga Kurylenko in a sexy little red dress.

Doubt - PSH and Meryl Streep are excellent, well written movie but overall slow paced and lacking that little ''something''.

Body of Lies - This movie was enjoyable, you really can't fault DiCaprio in any way. It's well shot and enthralling, but it was let down by the anti-climatic ending.

Changeling - Speaking as someone who is not a huge fan of Eastwood's directing I thought this was excellent. As per usual it's way too long but it redeems itself with what I would call a perfect ending.

The Express - Good but not great movie, keep this one for a Sunday afternoon.

Eagle Eye - I loved this movie from start to finish. Just a perfect popcorn flick.

Redbelt - Starts off slow enough, picks up in the middle, gets a little more promising but finishes with a pretentious ending - disappointing.

Warrior King - This movie is all over the place in terms of editing. But you really don't care simply because of Tony Jaa who is absolutely incredible, the stunts and fighting in this movie out class even Ong Bak.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Id imagine this thread will be locked but Ive watched a pretty eclectic mix of stuff the last week or so.

Dans Ma Peau - interesting French movie.Its been described as a body horror and thats a pretty good description.Kinda Cronenbergesque.

Inside - Gloriously nasty French horror with some genuine wince inducing scenes.Dont think its available uncut this side of the pond though.Can be bought on cdwow or ebay handily enough.

Clean,Shaven - Drama with Peter Green (Zed from Pulp Fiction) about a mentally damaged drifter searching for his daughter.Very good movie.

Flags of Our Fathers - Eastwoods WW2 drama.Great movie,nuff said.

The Killing Machine - Sonny Chiba kung fu movie.Great fun.

Dog Bite Dog - Korean (I think) gangster movie.Very,very good.

Hard Boiled - John Woo's action masterpiece.Arguably the greatest action movie ever committed to celluloid.Flawless IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Seen Bolt today (in 3D). Absolutely excellent movie imo. Better than Wall-E imo.

Haven't laughed so much in a CGI movie since the first time I watched Shrek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

a rather pedestrian attempt at the Biggie Smalls rap story. All the main moments in his life get shown - no surprises. Not a patch on Menace II Society/Boyz in Da Hood/Hustle and Flow or the Cary Grant movie Notorious :p.

In the past 2 days I have watched.

Death Wish: Pure escapist fun which has long been seen as nothing more than a shoddy revenge fantasy.

Death Wish 2: A meaner version of the first with one of the coolest endings ever.

Death Wish 3: Complete and utter fun filled madness. I cannot recommend it enough.

Death Wish 4: More of the same only this time with more violence and explosions.

Death Wish 5: Fun, fun, fun with lots of blood and death.

The Joshua Tree: A true lost classic of the 90s. Dolph Lundgren is on fine form in one of the most enjoyable action films ever made. It does make you wonder why Vic Armstrong hasn't been allowed to make more films.

Nemesis: Yet another 90s action classic. Having waited years and years to finally see Nemesis I have to say that I was not disappointed. Some fantastic fights, fine performances and an early role for Tom Jane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

the 90s remake of the body snatchers

was cool!

and Friday the 13th remake on friday

also cool!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Doubt

I actually forgot I saw this flick until I read your post - says something I guess... I agree, I walked out of the cinema feeling it was a bit lack luster and 'missing something' too.

I went to see Ghost Town on Friday, great movie, lots of laughs but annoying sound boom kept bobbing in and out of the frames - was strange that they couldn't edit it out.

Am keen to see Grand Torino and possibly Revolutionary Road - although am concerned the latter will be a tad dull and Kate Winslet bugs me - recently further enforced after watching her Golden Globe acceptance speeches a few weeks back...

I recently saw, albeit with some initial in-trepidation that it would be 'too girlie' for me (even though I am a girl!), Marley & Me - but I really enjoyed it, expect tears - everyone even all the blokes in the theatre were in floods at the end.
    A really nice, well told story you could relate to. Needless to say the family pets got squeezed to death on our return home.

Watched In Bruges on DVD a few weeks back - loved it. Hilarious lines and for once I warmed to Colin Farrell. Brendan Gleeson was excellent in it too.
    Well worth getting out if you haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Elite Squad: Entertaining and brutal story of Brazilian police in the Slums of Rio, trying to prepare for the Pope's visit.

The Reader: Winslet is very very good in this, good story about morality and personal responsibility. The court rooms scenes in the middle third are very very tense, the first and last thirds of the films let it down slightly.

Changeling: I was a bit "WTF is this about, it's just dumb" when the storyline got going in the first half. Once the revelations about the crime started to come out I was hooked. Jolie gives a pretty good performance as she would have been one of my last choices for this role. Good film, good story.

How to Lose Friends and Alienate People: Simon Pegg goes to America and makes a terrible films. It's awful, shockingly bad. Slapstick and "look at the funny British man being rude to everyone". Worse than Mr Bean by a million miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

not sure if movies seen on tv count

i saw charlie wilsons war in the past week

absolute gem of a movie , philip seymour hoffman is the best actor in hollywood right now

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bullet64

hello i am new to this forum lark and don't know how to go about it. seen a great film on rte 2 foreign film about a couple who meet as kids and dare each other to do things each time one of them won they had to pass back a tin box that the boys mother gave to him does anybody know the name of this film or where to find it, best film i have seen in a long time. also watched GRAN TORINO latley clint eastwood is brilliant in it thanks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

irish_bob wrote: »
    philip seymour hoffman is the best actor in hollywood right now

Last year I stayed in the Chateau Marmont in L.A for a few days.. one night whilst totally sozzled, I saw PSH chatting away to Mike Myers at the reception area about 5 metres from where I was plonked... God, the restraint it took to not skip my drunken self up to say hello to the two of them...

Funniest thing was after they'd finished chatting Mike Myers himself 'skipped' up the stairs in very Austin Powers fashion to his room...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DaithiDuil

I watched Donnie Brasco The other night - Pacino only slightly outshines Depp in a stellar performance. Epic!

Benjamin Button - I was amazed at this film, the storytelling is amazing with some great cinematography and the special effects department really pushed the boat out.

Tropic thunder - Again I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this film, I had heard some pretty mixed reviews about this one and was apprehensive putting it on, to me it was a "Don't take it seriously" Nam comedy. Worth a look...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Seen Notorious last night and just finished watching 2 box sets of Supernatural...im tired now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just watched Flags of Our Fathers..... yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Bolt: Brilliant film! so funny and so cute.

Burn after reading: not as great as all the hype made it out to be.

Taken: new found respect for Liam Neeson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lestat72

I recently watched Pineapple express, who on earth thought this was funny i laughed once thru the whole movie.... NOT FUNNY. And as for tropic thunder one word for it dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

lestat72 wrote: »
    And as for tropic thunder one word for it dull.

+1

really dont know how some people find this funny. I was so bored watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

+1

really dont know how some people find this funny. I was so bored watching it

+2 fell into a very deep sleep during into

woke up to find tom cruise doing a funky dance and credits rolling...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

In the last couple of weeks I have watched -

The Wrestler
    Pineapple Express
    Step Brothers
    The Number 23
    Tropic Thunder
    The people under the stairs
    Star wars: The Clone Wars
    The Kingdom
    Burn After Reading

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I watched Frost/Nixon last night and was very impressed with it.

I've also watched The Gold Rush and like most Chaplin films (IMO) was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Just watched Flags of Our Fathers..... yawn.

You didnt like?Not a typical war movie but I really enjoyed it.Have Letters from Iwo Jima to watch at some stage.
    Watched the new Friday the 13th last night.......
    See FT13th thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Saw "Gone Baby Gone" with Casey Affleck and his big brother directing. Utter horse ****.
    If anyone makes you watch it, kill them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Hellboy 2 - Very good film enjoyed it. As good as the first one.

Funny Games U.S. - One of the best films I've seen in a while, if your into a ruthless violent type of film.

Slumdog Millionaire - Thought it was good viewing and very different type of film not what I expected to see. The missus didnt like it much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Saw "Gone Baby Gone" with Casey Affleck and his big brother directing. Utter horse ****.

Think you're in the minority there. I thought it was one of the best movies of 2007. If I remember correctly, the thread here on boards were very favorable also.

It has a 94% review score on rottentomatoes also.
    lestat72 wrote: »
    I recently watched Pineapple express, who on earth thought this was funny

*puts hand up* - I thought it was hilarious. Laughed the whole way through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

nedtheshed wrote: »
    You didnt like?Not a typical war movie but I really enjoyed it.Have Letters from Iwo Jima to watch at some stage.

I really enjoyed the parts on the ships and Iwo Jima, the fighting sequences were excellent. I hated the rest of it though and I thought the editing was poor.

I watched Bolt last night, very enjoyable it has to be said. Nice to see Disney coming out with a movie like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Tusky wrote: »
    Think you're in the minority there. I thought it was one of the best movies of 2007. If I remember correctly, the thread here on boards were very favorable also.

It has a 94% review score on rottentomatoes also.

Really, that does surprise me.
    When he shot yer man in the back of the head and it's pats-on-the-back all round, it just lost all credibility for me. He was unarmed, not a danger to anyone etc. In any country, even America, if you do that you're going to prison. and he wasn't even a cop!
    Things like that just annoy me in movies.
    The GF wanted to turn it off after 5 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I havent watched much lately but from what I can remember:

Slumdog Millionaire: fine fine movie, go see it!

Taken: "lets promote Krav Maga in a movie".com Pointless aggressive fun. Just watch the scene with the phone call, thats the highlight

The Love Guru: awful stuff, Myers hasnt progressed

Lars and the Real Girl: great movie and funny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭TygerKrash

theres are just what I've seen in the last couple of days..
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I watched Frost/Nixon last night and was very impressed with it.

Yep caught that on Saturday. really good, think it might be in with a chance for best pic (although I haven't seen slumdog yet.

American Pie
    wouldn't particularly recommend, but it watchable and certainly not the worst of this kind of movie.

Live and Let Die
    was on the telly Sunday eve I think it was. My fave bond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Watched Reign over me the other night ,great movie:)

Saw 2 a few nights before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭deathstarkiller

In the last few days I've seen
    Goldfinger in HD. Looked great. Sean Connery was the man. (even though I'm a slef confessed Roger Moore fan:D)
    The Foot Fist Way. Mildly enjoyable but not fantastic.
    Friday The 13th (2009). Slickly made mindless fun.
    Punisher Warzone. Stupid fun.
    JCVD. Great little foreign movie with Jean Claude Van Damme playing himself.
    The Human Factor. 70's Italian made revenge movie with George Kennedy going after the killers of his family in Naples. Slow but great little movie with a great ending.
    The Deadly Spawn. Awful cheap but sort of cheerful sci fi horror movie from 83.

Oh dear, I need a life.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Vamoose Killers

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Really, that does surprise me.
    When he shot yer man in the back of the head and it's pats-on-the-back all round, it just lost all credibility for me. He was unarmed, not a danger to anyone etc. In any country, even America, if you do that you're going to prison. and he wasn't even a cop!
    Things like that just annoy me in movies.
    The GF wanted to turn it off after 5 minutes.

Consider dumping her? The thing that annoyed you happened at the end. What the hell happened at the start that made her want to turn it off?

Retarded statements like that annoy me.

And fwiw, I thought it was okay, 7/10. Didn't think Casey Affleck was 100% suited to the role however.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement