Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Magnet: Gary

I will do my best to catch up on any outstanding issues if people want to PM me.

I appreciate the fact that I didn't post but I do have other responsibilities withing magnet and do not check this forum every day, PM's come to my email inbox so if its urgent I get it right away.

I would advise all Magnet customers that calling us is the best way to get your issue sorted - 1890 80 90 00 and you have the options there for sales, billing and support.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

Are Magnet still good for torrents?
    If not, who are (except UPC who don't cover my area).
    And with these type of service providers, do I still have to pay line rental to Eircom on top?
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 johnhar

FYI

No response to my email to Magnet support so I rang their sales line and this is their broadband offering for a landline close to Dundrum exchange in Dublin:

Eircom offering resold as "Magnet Force 8 on NGN service"

Download speed : 8Mbps
    Upload speed : 512kbps to 1Mbps
    Download limit : unlimited
    Contention ratio: 4:1
    Free wireless router : YES
    Line rental : included
    Free evening local and national landline calls : YES
    Free any time local and national landline calls : NO - €10 per month upgrade
    Free 30 minutes irish mobile calls : NO - €10 per month upgrade for 60 mins

plus 100 minutes per month of international calls to 20 destinations for one year when you sign up online.
    Price per month : €49.99
    subject to recorded verbal agreement

"signed" up and received a ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 v2 wireless router in the post for self install. Waiting for the line to be ported from Eircom to test it.

Fingers crossed ; )

What does "Eircom offering" mean?

I'm wary of Eircom as I know they have limited torrent access.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arik11

So far been with magnet 10 months. Lucky to have the fiber to home 50 Mb /10Mb .also got their TV service. Perfect. Crystal clear.Excellent customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 johnhar

The Eircom offering I referred to is the broadband package that Eircom sell. Magnet buy this from Eircom at wholesale rates and "resell" it. It's still the same Eircom product but with a Magnet Swift name. Hope this helps.

Torrents work fine on Eircom. If you download a large file such as a Linux operating system ISO file through a BitTorrent client it is usuall much faster than downloading it from the Linux company's website.

Some Illegal sites such as p1ratebay are blocked on Eircom but they should not be used anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

johnhar wrote: »
    FYI

No response to my email to Magnet support so I rang their sales line and this is their broadband offering for a landline close to Dundrum exchange in Dublin:

Eircom offering resold as "Magnet Force 8 on NGN service"

Download speed : 8Mbps
    Upload speed : 512kbps to 1Mbps
    Download limit : unlimited
    Contention ratio: 4:1
    Free wireless router : YES
    Line rental : included
    Free evening local and national landline calls : YES
    Free any time local and national landline calls : NO - €10 per month upgrade
    Free 30 minutes irish mobile calls : NO - €10 per month upgrade for 60 mins

plus 100 minutes per month of international calls to 20 destinations for one year when you sign up online.
    Price per month : €49.99
    subject to recorded verbal agreement

"signed" up and received a ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 v2 wireless router in the post for self install. Waiting for the line to be ported from Eircom to test it.

Fingers crossed ; )

What is the difference between this and Magnet Force MAX? Is that package just another bitstream package at 24MB?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Magnet: Gary

Hi,

There are no plans to upgrade Portarlington exchange at this time, but there may be more network upgrades in the future to Eircom exchanges - and I will post here if any are being rolled out.

Kind regards

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭djskip316i

Hi i was planning on switching from Eircom's 7Mb Broadband home advanced to the Magnet Swift Package , I have googled it and cant find any detailed info about it . Does anyone here have any details about it .

The main reason i am switching is because Magnet offer 1.1 Mb upload and eircom have me restricted to 384 kbps upload .

• Advertisement

Mixed start to my life as a Magnet customer.

On the good side, it was easy to get up and running and all my devices, phones, PC's, Notebooks and Xbox connected very easily. The speed of the connection seems far better than Vodafone so far too.

However several websites including speed test.net and magnetwebtv.ie will not load from any PC or laptop in the house. They all worked before I swapped over. I have rang the helpline and they have gone through the setup with me to ensure that all is configured correctly. They seemed stumped.

I have verified that the websites that don't load are reachable via sniffer-net and they get a header response of 301-found and I can even go as far as viewing the page contents. Anyone seen this before?

Panrich wrote: »
    several websites including speed test.net and magnetwebtv.ie will not load from any PC or laptop in the house. They all worked before I swapped over. I have rang the helpline and they have gone through the setup with me to ensure that all is configured correctly. They seemed stumped.

Hi,

I had the exact same thing, but there is a fix (came from Magnet last night.)

You have to log in to your modem. Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser and enter the password. Then on the left expand Network and select WAN. Press the ADVANCED SET UP button. In there there is a box with MTU written beside it. The value in the box will probably be 1500. Change this to 1492. Press Apply.

I did this last night and it worked. Thanks Pete at Magnet Tech Support who phoned me up to try this.

Give it a go. I hope it works for you.

dmaxontour wrote: »
    Hi,

You have to log in to your modem. Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser and enter the password. Then on the left expand Network and select WAN. Press the ADVANCED SET UP button. In there there is a box with MTU written beside it. The value in the box will probably be 1500. Change this to 1492. Press Apply.

I did this last night and it worked. Thanks Pete at Magnet Tech Support who phoned me up to try this.

Thank you so much for that. I have just rang my wife and she has made the change you suggested and all is now working. It was wrecking my head all morning.

Mixed start to my life as a Magnet customer.

On the good side, it was easy to get up and running and all my devices, phones, PC's, Notebooks and Xbox connected very easily. The speed of the connection seems far better than Vodafone so far too.

However several websites including speed test.net and magnetwebtv.ie will not load from any PC or laptop in the house. They all worked before I swapped over. I have rang the helpline and they have gone through the setup with me to ensure that all is configured correctly. They seemed stumped.

I have verified that the websites that don't load are reachable via sniffer-net and they get a header response of 301-found and I can even go as far as viewing the page contents. Anyone seen this before?
    Are you on the swift package or one of the other ones , If you can , could you post a speedtest please , im thinking of switching from eircom to magnet today . thanks

djskip316i wrote: »
    Are you on the swift package or one of the other ones , If you can , could you post a speedtest please , im thinking of switching from eircom to magnet today . thanks

Can't yet. I am on Magnet Force 8 which is a bitstream package. Will post a speedtest later when I get home.

Can't yet. I am on Magnet Force 8 which is a bitstream package. Will post a speedtest later when I get home.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Nievaxo

I just moved into my new apartment with Magnet. My Package is 24mbit but i'm getting only around 14-15mbit, thats still a lot, is it worth complaining about the missing 9-10mbit? I know it says up to 24mbit but does it hurt to ask them? ^^

1346566043.png
    42196241.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Sometimes mine drops to around that too.

Could be a few things causing that low speed, the quality of the line for instance. At least your latency and upload seem perfect.

Ask them to test your line and see what the max it can handle is - you might be able to save a few quid switching to a lower package if your line can't do the 24mbit.

You wired or wireless?

Try download a torrent, or something form a site you know gives good speeds - that will show how fast it will really go - I don't always trust speedtest.

i'm wired, I tried downloading via usenet which always gives me max speed and the speed was always between 14 und 15 mbit for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Nievaxo wrote: »
    I just moved into my new apartment with Magnet. My Package is 24mbit but i'm getting only around 14-15mbit, thats still a lot, is it worth complaining about the missing 9-10mbit? I know it says up to 24mbit but does it hurt to ask them? ^^

1346566043.png
    42196241.png

I'm on Magnet Force, so I'm supposedly paying for 24 Mb/s
    I'm out in the sticks in Dublin 6 and this is what i get
    1346873088.png
    42205687.png

and that would be typical of my speeds for the past 10 months!

oh and this is a wired connection!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 roibeard

dmaxontour wrote: »
    Hi,

Thank you very much for this information. I too just switched to Magnet during the week. Had some small problems with setup (which a very friendly support agent talked me through). I realised that some sites including linkedin.com, apple.com and the Magnet web tv site weren't working. When I phoned customer service again, they suggested monitoring for a few days and calling back.

This fix worked first time - céad míle buíochas.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

I've been with Magnet for over a year now.
    I'd intended to switch back to Eircom as soon as my 12-month Magnet contract expired, but as I'm leaving my current residence in less than another 12 months, thought I'd stick it out.

Anyway, Magnet has been terrible. It's not Broadband, it's Magnet. Broadband is meant to be "always on", but it drops out regularly, especially around 6pm.

When I signed up it was marketed as 8Meg, with a 1:1 contention ratio. After signing up I was informed it was "up to" 8 Meg, and the 1:1 was not available at my exchange (Dundrum, Dublin) so I'm on 1:48 instead, or some waffle.

So anyway, things have got even worse this weekend. I can't watch TV, YouTube, etc any more. There is 5 sec of video, then 5 sec of freeze, then 5 sec... etc, etc.

I have just ran http://www.speedtest.net/
    0.12 Mbps.

Rip off merchants.

I've more to say but I'd better submit it now before the connection drops!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jimmyjimmy09

I have the 8mb service, when im uploading a file to youtube, My download speed all but disapears, ran speedtest and get 0.12Mb's

Why does uploading a file affect the download speed so much? It makes it pretty much unusable for browsing even facebook, anybody else had this problem , and is there a way around it ?

@jimmyjimmy09

this is pretty normal I guess. I always had such problems but then I started using a program called netlimiter to limit my upload speed which solved it for me. simply start by using only 50% of your upload speed and see how it influences your download speed and if its still fine, use more upload speed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jimmyjimmy09

But that wud make my upload time twice as long, and when your uploading 500mb+ files thats not an option , dont understand why this is even a problem, why shud traffic one way affect traffic going the other way? never had this problem with any other isp

I dont know why it does happen but thats how it always has been

those guys also do not exactly know why but at least they talk about it:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r4053823-Uploading-dramatically-influences-download-speed
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20026240-does-Uploading-affect-download-speedNOT-BT

Hi all , i ordered magnet swift on wednsday and recieved my router first thing this morning , plugged it in straight away and its working perfectly :) . I only had one small issue and that was , wireless was switched off on the router , and a quick call to customer care solved that issue within 2 mins , There was a slightly different way of logging into the router compared to the eircom router's .

Just waiting on them to change my speed profile and im good to go .

Thumbs up from me so far .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Patchy77

Hi all,

Id really appericate some help on this issue, In short form, I had eircom broadband due to some sort of fault on line which 3 techincans couldnt figure out, I had to go through the complaints department to cancel my order.

Now shortly after this I called magnet and enquired about broadband and explainded in detail that I needed a new line totally seperate from the main house as I live in a granny flat at the back, I was informed that a new line would be installed free of charge and i would recieve up to 8mb broadband, I was told that I would be contacted when eircom techs were coming out to install. after 21 days I called magnet to see what the situation was as i heard no word from anyone and was informed that my order had been completed and activated on day 20, I said that this couldnt be as line was not installed yet! turns out the old faulty line was reconnected again so i called magnet that same day and asked what can They/I do and was told bascially nothing that eircom would not install a new line, I then asked to cancel my order and was told that im already in contract as its seven days from the order date and not completed date...........

Im recieving a speed of 1.5mb down and 0.12 up. This is totally useless for my partner and I, advisor informed me all he could do was reduce price to 40 a month but i couldnt not cancel, called eircom next day and they infromed me that yes they could install a new line if requested, called magnet back about this and was told that it would not make any difference to my speed but i could get new line installed myself and pay line rental to eircom and they would switch my service over which would be 75 a month with no garentuee of sucess. I really need some hlp what can i do on this and what is cooling off period two sales guys told me 7 days after date of order but two support guys said thats wrong its date of connection... Im really very upset that no help, assistance or advice ihas been given to me by magnet.

Hi Patchy77 , what kind of speeds were you getting before you had the fault with eircom . And how far away from your exchange are you , that is probaby the speed is so bad .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Patchy77

hi djskip316i thanks for the reply, i was getting the same speed of 1.5mb when with eircom from day1 but the main house is with eircom too and they are getting speeds of 6-7mb, so problem is with line not exchange, can anyone help me plz on relation to the cooling off period as 7 days since order was contected ends monday and I'd like to know my rights but dont know who to ask..!

Advertisement