Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting garage floor.

• 05-04-2014 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi guys, I got my new concrete floor finished in my garage about two months ago. Originally I wanted it to be power floated and have a smooth finish but my brother in law ended up doing it and the finish is fairly good, not smooth and you can see tracks the finishing trowel. (To be honest I would have been happier to get another builder to do it and also get it power floated but I couldn't really by-pass the relation!)
    I want to paint the floor and as the finish on the concrete isn't perfect I hired a floor grinder to try to smooth it out.
    That wasn't an easy job and it is still not perfect.
    Does anyone know will two pack epoxy paint smooth out the floor perfectly if I put a few coats on it.
    It's a hobby garage/workshop and there will be car tyres on it along with the possibility of fuel or oil spills.
    Info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭jack of all

I think that you'll find that a slightly rough or imperfect finsih will be better for an epoxy floor paint finish. If the concrete is too smooth (in the case of a powerfloated finish) there is less mechanical key for the paint to "grip" and the resulting coating can lift from vehicle tyres etc. A slightly rough finish gives a key and if two coats of floor paint are applied you'll get a self-levelling effect anyway and the second coat should be relatively smooth. I think that your floor maybe still to fresh for painting, it's normal practice to allow 1 month per inch of concrete to alow for drying, depending on humidity, whether there's heating on etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

I think that you'll find that a slightly rough or imperfect finsih will be better for an epoxy floor paint finish. If the concrete is too smooth (in the case of a powerfloated finish) there is less mechanical key for the paint to "grip" and the resulting coating can lift from vehicle tyres etc. A slightly rough finish gives a key and if two coats of floor paint are applied you'll get a self-levelling effect anyway and the second coat should be relatively smooth. I think that your floor maybe still to fresh for painting, it's normal practice to allow 1 month per inch of concrete to alow for drying, depending on humidity, whether there's heating on etc.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

With the range of 2 pack floor paints available today, you would have absolutely no issue with paint adhesion on a power-floated concrete floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭e.r

Not sure the paint alone will give you the finish you desire.
    I'd get a decent floor smoothing compound( ideally same manufacturer of epoxy) smooth floor with compound then paint floor for great finish.
    Plus you also save on epoxy as sub floor will not be as rough / absorbent

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

e.r wrote: »
    Not sure the paint alone will give you the finish you desire.
    I'd get a decent floor smoothing compound( ideally same manufacturer of epoxy) smooth floor with compound then paint floor for great finish.
    Plus you also save on epoxy as sub floor will not be as rough / absorbent

We used S&R paints regularly for power floated floor covering. Paint & Curing agant mixed 50/50; left for 30 mins, then applied via roller. Dried out like a rock and lasted years under constant abuse in warehouses with a lot of traffic. Mirror finish and perfect for garage work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Safehands

sgds wrote: »
    Hi guys, I got my new concrete floor finished in my garage about two months ago. Originally I wanted it to be power floated and have a smooth finish but my brother in law ended up doing it and the finish is fairly good, not smooth and you can see tracks the finishing trowel. (To be honest I would have been happier to get another builder to do it and also get it power floated but I couldn't really by-pass the relation!)
    I want to paint the floor and as the finish on the concrete isn't perfect I hired a floor grinder to try to smooth it out.
    That wasn't an easy job and it is still not perfect.
    Does anyone know will two pack epoxy paint smooth out the floor perfectly if I put a few coats on it.
    It's a hobby garage/workshop and there will be car tyres on it along with the possibility of fuel or oil spills.
    Info greatly appreciated.
    Epoxy paints vary in thickness, from about 50-70 microns to about 250 - 300 microns (100 microns is one tenth of a millimetre) per coat. If the profile of the floor exceeds the expected thickness of the coating, it will be reflected through. So it really depends on what level of flatness you require. If you want a powerfloated look, you can apply an industrial grade, cement based, self leveller and then paint it with a water based epoxy. The self leveller will need to be about 5mm thickness. Remember though, most epoxies are not UV stable, so they can fade with time,if exposed to sunlight or fluorescent lights. A two pack PU can get over that problem. Its a bit more expensive though.

Advertisement