Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marriage Equality Referendum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Again according to my IT/Census calculations, there are about as many males aged 40+ who will vote 'yes' as there are males+females 18-30. (558,000 vs 537,000 respectively.) That just goes to show the significance of the younger vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,798 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The soft yeses are the crucial ones.

I've canvassed a lot and a lot of people are saying they will "probably vote yes" or "have no problem with that"

If these people don't vote its lost.

And thats why canvassing is absolutely crucial. These people need someone to specifically ask them to go out on the day. They need someone to motivate them personally.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Aard wrote: »
    Spoke to some younger voters today. The level of belief that the referendum will pass with flying colours (paraphrasing there) is astonishing. When I highlighted my concern that the referendum won't pass they were equally astonished. I am increasingly of the belief that this referendum will pass or fail based solely on turnout of students and graduates.

Was furious today , was eating lunch with this guy and discussing the referendum and he said he wasn't voting as he wasn't registered to vote yet! and his reason for not registering yet? He said ah sure it'll obviously pass like! And what pissed me off more is the fact that this guy is gay as christmas, like he's not out but he's so obviously gay and has shown no interest in women as long as Ive known him. Anyway his lovely german friend went on a mad one saying how lazy and ignorant he was being and made him promise he will go an register to vote , if not for himself then for her, as she's a german citizen she's not allowed to vote but wishes she could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭hopgog

The soft yeses are the crucial ones.

I've canvassed a lot and a lot of people are saying they will "probably vote yes" or "have no problem with that"

If these people don't vote its lost.

And thats why canvassing is absolutely crucial. These people need someone to specifically ask them to go out on the day. They need someone to motivate them personally.

Just so you know when you come to the door I say yes too so you won't bother me call me a bigot, but on the day I will be voting No twice.

hopgog wrote: »
    Just so you know when you come to the door I say yes too so you won't bother me call me a bigot, but on the day I will be voting No twice.

:rolleyes:

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

We need more wonderful citizens like you in this country

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stating intent to commit a serious crime (personation) on a public forum is an incredibly stupid thing to do.

L1011 wrote: »
    Stating intent to commit a serious crime (personation) on a public forum is an incredibly stupid thing to do.
    Can he seriously get arrested for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

4 Yes votes from my house will make your votes irrelevant, just like your views. :)

wakka12 wrote: »

Voting twice? Yes. Its illegal.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

L1011 wrote: »
    Also surprisingly popular. Even in the recent past tense, too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

wakka12 wrote: »

Yes. Prevention of Electoral Abuses Act 1923 (as amended)

If you do actually vote twice, you can actually be barred from voting entirely after it although I doubt such a punishment would be brought down for a single offence or using "only" one illegal vote.

Does anybody know what the story is with posters on lampposts etc? There's a few put up in my area that are very low down on the poles, restricting view of traffic and the likes. Is there somebody I can complain to about this? And yes, I am trying to be as obstructive as legally possible to the "No" campaign.

Does anybody know what the story is with posters on lampposts etc? There's a few put up in my area that are very low down on the poles, restricting view of traffic and the likes. Is there somebody I can complain to about this? And yes, I am trying to be as obstructive as legally possible to the "No" campaign.

They have to be 8ft off the ground, I have cut down sf ones that where below that before, if they are lower then 8ft report or remove it if it's a danger.

I will be doing the same with yes posters

Report to whom?

Report to whom?

Local council obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Madame_Diem

Does anybody else fear like me that after said referendum will be pressured into conforming to heterosexual norms. I've always considered marriage to be too bourgeois and middle class. After its passes I'll be pressured by my mother/boyfriend etc into marruage.

Because only middle class people marry.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

Does anybody else fear like me that after said referendum will be pressured into conforming to heterosexual norms. I've always considered marriage to be too bourgeois and middle class. After its passes I'll be pressured by my mother/boyfriend etc into marruage.

Then tell your mother/boyfriend that you consider marriage to be bourgeois and middle class and that you don't want to get married. Problem solved. No need to restrict every other adult from making a decision about their life just because you can't stand your ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Was chatting to a friend today. He told me that he in turn was chatting to a group of people recently. 3 out of four were voting yes. The other one ,a mutual aquaintence, said he wasn't in favour of it and didn't agree with it. He didn't give a reason. This fella would be late 30s I guess, professional and a gaa head. I found it interesting that he took that view. Not shocked but thought he'd be more open. Still it seems he won't vote at all.

It kind of tells me that not all people minded towards no are silent although from what i heated he was a bit taken aback that all in his company were definite yes voters.

• Advertisement

feardeas wrote: »
    This fella would be late 30s I guess, professional and a gaa head. [...]

It kind of tells me that not all people minded towards no are silent although from what i heated he was a bit taken aback that all in his company were definite yes voters.

The GAA, "possibly the most heterosexual sport in the world", as I heard someone say recently, which I thought was rather hysterical. I think it's one of those things it's very easy to be in a "bubble" on, either way. The Yesses talk to their friends, and are sure the opinion polls are right. Why even bother to register or to vote, sure it'll pass anyway? Almost a no-class thing to "run up the score" on the poor traditionalists! Meanwhile the Nos talk to their friends, and are sure the opinion polls are all a metropolitan liberal big lie conspiracy, and are determined to go and vote to prove it.

It just goes to show how talking about it with friends and acquaintances can be the best form of campaigning. The realisation that one holds a minority view could be enough to turn somebody's vote. Or indeed, encourage them not to vote at all. This would especially be the case if a person's colleagues/friends hold one view, while that person's parents might hold another. The dichotomy can be confusing and indeed upsetting for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

alaimacerc wrote: »
    The GAA, "possibly the most heterosexual sport in the world", as I heard someone say recently, which I thought was rather hysterical. I think it's one of those things it's very easy to be in a "bubble" on, either way. The Yesses talk to their friends, and are sure the opinion polls are right. Why even bother to register or to vote, sure it'll pass anyway? Almost a no-class thing to "run up the score" on the poor traditionalists! Meanwhile the Nos talk to their friends, and are sure the opinion polls are all a metropolitan liberal big lie conspiracy, and are determined to go and vote to prove it.

Bubble as right. It depends on who you are chatting to although I have to say I have hear very few people chatting about it day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭dubscribe

UPDATE: as of 31 March 2015, the Children and a Family Relationship Bill was passed in the Seanad. Please see http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/children-and-family-relationships-bill-passes-in-seanad-1.2159352

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭dubscribe

HIB wrote: »
    Just watching the news there and they asked the pro gay marriage guy what is the difference between marriage and civil partnership. He said something about being treated as equal citizens. Didn't give any tangible examples though. Can anyone elaborate ? What will be the actual, tangible differences? E.g. will marriage as opposed to civil partnership sort out some inheritance issues? Or maybe the right to a say in medical treatment of your partner?

Apparently there are approx 160 statutory differences between civil partnership and civil marriage. See : http://www.marriagequality.ie/getinformed/marriage/faqs.html

dubscribe wrote: »
    UPDATE: as of 31 March 2015, the Children and a Family Relationship Bill was passed in the Seanad. Please see http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/children-and-family-relationships-bill-passes-in-seanad-1.2159352
    And was signed by the President a week later. Thus, "Children and Family Relationships Act".

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭MarriedButBi

Was chatting to a friend today. He told me that he in turn was chatting to a group of people recently. 3 out of four were voting yes. The other one ,a mutual aquaintence, said he wasn't in favour of it and didn't agree with it. He didn't give a reason. This fella would be late 30s I guess, professional and a gaa head. I found it interesting that he took that view. Not shocked but thought he'd be more open. Still it seems he won't vote at all.

We don't really know what his views are, or reasons are, if he didn't give them. Without knowing his reasons its hard to say its down to closed mindedness or anything else in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭MarriedButBi

It just goes to show how talking about it with friends and acquaintances can be the best form of campaigning. The realisation that one holds a minority view could be enough to turn somebody's vote. Or indeed, encourage them not to vote at all. This would especially be the case if a person's colleagues/friends hold one view, while that person's parents might hold another. The dichotomy can be confusing and indeed upsetting for some people.

Are you serious??!!

You hope that a minority viewpoint either does not express their opinion or else changes it? Am I in the right place?? :eek::confused:

There would be a lot of people in a lot of closets if that was the thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Father Rabulah Conundrum

I'm finding this referendum is a good barometer of assholery. You get a real sense of what people are really like, and who sits where on your naughty and nice list.

• Advertisement

Are you serious??!!

You hope that a minority viewpoint either does not express their opinion or else changes it? Am I in the right place?? :eek::confused:

There would be a lot of people in a lot of closets if that was the thing to do.

Yeah that's literally not what I said.

Advertisement