Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RPG suggestions?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Great choice with demon souls.

What about Valkyria Chronicles? I've been meaning to get it cause it's supposed to be a gem for the ps3.

And I'd appreciate some advice myself for an rpg. I think I've played all the best western rpgs (elder scrolls, witcher 1 & 2, fallout 1 - new vegas, kotor, diablo etc) but I've neglected the jrpgs in the last few years, think ff xii was the last one I played.

Thinking of getting one of these, can't decide though. Dragon Quest vii, Persona 3 or 4 or Valkyria Chronicles. Any other recommendations?

Dragon Quest VIII is great. Valkyria Chronicles is very different from your "average" JRPG, it's basically a strategy game. If you've a Wii then Xenoblade is one of the highest rated JRPGs in years/ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

penev10 wrote: »
    Well there you go! I gather by you saying that you bought it that you haven't gotten around to playing it yet?

I find Dark Souls easier than Demon's Souls. More checkpoints, (mostly) easier bosses, less linear etc. I'm not sure if that opinion falls in with the general consensus but Dark is definitely a better game also.

Like a lot of people here, I have a habit of buying games with the intention of getting to them eventually. :)

Ok, I admit it. I'm too scared to try the game. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

What about Valkyria Chronicles? I've been meaning to get it cause it's supposed to be a gem for the ps3.

And I'd appreciate some advice myself for an rpg. I think I've played all the best western rpgs (elder scrolls, witcher 1 & 2, fallout 1 - new vegas, kotor, diablo etc) but I've neglected the jrpgs in the last few years, think ff xii was the last one I played.

Thinking of getting one of these, can't decide though. Dragon Quest viii, Persona 3 or 4 or Valkyria Chronicles. Any other recommendations?

If you're playing on PS3 get Star Ocean the Last hope International it has one of the most fun combat system JRPG I've played and it's a better version of the xbox as you can switch to Japanese voice over.

Ni No Kuni is coming out January and it looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

danthefan wrote: »
    Dragon Quest VIII is great. Valkyria Chronicles is very different from your "average" JRPG, it's basically a strategy game. If you've a Wii then Xenoblade is one of the highest rated JRPGs in years/ever.

Wouldn't mind some strategy but think I'll get dragon quest. Would love to play xenoblade but I have no wii unfortunately and it might be a bit extreme to get one to just to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

VC is turn-based alas. Great game let down by poor balancing and an easily breakable combat system.

Persona 4 gets another vote from me. Some really different approaches to genre tropes and a great plot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dereks

Kingdoms of Amular, great RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Thinking of getting one of these, can't decide though. Dragon Quest viii, Persona 3 or 4 or Valkyria Chronicles. Which should I go for or any other recommendations?

The Persona series has lots of fan around these parts though I've never played any of them myself.

Which one is it best to start at?

OP have a look at Legend of Dragoon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Persona 4 on the Vita is getting rave reviews, apparently it's absolutely brilliant. I almost want to get a Vita for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thinking of getting one of these, can't decide though. Dragon Quest viii, Persona 3 or 4 or Valkyria Chronicles. Which should I go for or any other recommendations?

You can't go wrong with any of those games. All of them are superb. For the Persona games Persona 4 is the better game but I recommend peopleplay Persona 3 first since many people that play P4 first can't got back to P3 because of all the improvements made.

Also if you have a Wii then definitely pick up Xenoblade. It's basically FFXII but done right.
    Notorioux wrote: »
    If you're playing on PS3 get Star Ocean the Last hope International it has one of the most fun combat system JRPG I've played and it's a better version of the xbox as you can switch to Japanese voice over.

Christ, do not go near this game. Battle system is fun but everything else about it is so wrong.
    OP have a look at Legend of Dragoon :D

Don't even joke about that, some one might actually buy it. Far and away the worst JRPG I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'd recommend the original fallout, and fallout 2 as turnbased Rpg's go, they are glorious! Or better yet, Wasteland!

I bought Fallout2 from GoG. I never played it 'back in the day' but thought I'd give it a whirl. However, it's far far far to old to get any enjoyment out of now imo. I would never recommend someone buy these to get into rpgs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Woah! Let's not say things we can't take back here!

Sarky wrote: »
    Woah! Let's not say things we can't take back here!

Yeah I'll say it, it was bloody awful and I stopped playing after 15 minutes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Sarky wrote: »
    The Infinity Engine series (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment) are pretty much genre-defining classics. Baldur's Gate is supposed to be out today in Enhanced Edition mode with extra bells and whistles, but they're all pretty cheap at this stage so worth a go. they're not exactly turn-based: they're real time but you can pause at any time to consider tactics (or have the game pause automatically on a given event, like a character becoming critically wounded)

The Oblivion/Skyrim lot is pleasant enough, although ultimately a little bland when it comes to choices and character-shaping gameplay.

I thought myself a huge RPG fan until I played Planescape. The battle system is woeful. I played about half the game until getting stuck in my first fight, no idea what I was doing. How does one get so far in a game without learning how to fight? It is both amazing and tragic that I can progress. I loved the world and the story but the D&D style battles bore me to death. Mind you I was quite young so it was probably my own fault for not getting it.

Chrono Trigger would be my candidate for an easy RPG to get into. It is considered a classic and was made at the pinnacle of the 16-bit era. It doesn't look nearly as dated compared to FFVII if you can get over 2D graphics. Nice, easy battle system with a hint of strategy and fantastic storyline.

Yeah I'll say it, it was bloody awful and I stopped playing after 15 minutes :)

That first dungeon is unforgiving. If you pick the wrong load-out, you can't even get out of it. I would never ever recommend that game to a beginner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really if you give up on Fallout only 15 minutes in you are doing it wrong. It's a game you really need to invest a lot more time in before you even make that decision.
    Grimebox wrote: »
    It doesn't look nearly as dated compared to FFVII if you can get over 2D graphics.

What the hell do you mean get over the 2D graphics? It's one of the most beautiful games ever made:

spot_issue15chronotrigger1-e1306021215995.gif

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Really if you give up on Fallout only 15 minutes in you are doing it wrong. It's a game you really need to invest a lot more time in before you even make that decision.

It's just far to old and clunky. I appreciate if you played it when it first came out then it's probably fine to revisit but it didn't make me want to invest any time in it. Lets just say then it's my loss but one I'll get over.

I can tell you it felt clunky when it came out. Play it some more and when the game opens up and you have so much choice with actual consequences it becomes something else entirely. It just takes some time to get into.

Chrono Trigger would be my candidate for an easy RPG to get into. It is considered a classic and was made at the pinnacle of the 16-bit era. It doesn't look nearly as dated compared to FFVII if you can get over 2D graphics. Nice, easy battle system with a hint of strategy and fantastic storyline.

Funnily enough, it was Chrono Trigger that made me ask the question in the first place. Just saw someone on another site saying how Chrono Trigger was their favourite game and I remember hearing great things about it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,547 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You can't go wrong with any of those games. All of them are superb. For the Persona games Persona 4 is the better game but I recommend peopleplay Persona 3 first since many people that play P4 first can't got back to P3 because of all the improvements made.

Also if you have a Wii then definitely pick up Xenoblade. It's basically FFXII but done right.

Christ, do not go near this game. Battle system is fun but everything else about it is so wrong.

Don't even joke about that, some one might actually buy it. Far and away the worst JRPG I've ever played.
    We get it, you don't like our taste in video games. Dragoon actually took one of the things I really liked about Final Fantasy VIII - the timed attack bonuses, and ran away with the idea. The story was wildly far fetched but so what, it still entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,547 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Funnily enough, it was Chrono Trigger that made me ask the question in the first place. Just saw someone on another site saying how Chrono Trigger was their favourite game and I remember hearing great things about it
    I remember picking up Chrono Trigger as a ROM at one point and it sucked me in very subtly, almost without me noticing like a frog being brought to a boil, but gamer-ADHD pulled me off of it to play something else and I never got around to picking it back up. Probably a damn shame.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    We get it, you don't like our taste in video games. Dragoon actually took one of the things I really liked about Final Fantasy VIII - the timed attack bonuses, and ran away with the idea. The story was wildly far fetched but so what, it still entertained.

The guy says he doesn't really like JRPGs so I'm hardly going to chime in and tell him to definitely try two games that I feel take everything wrong with the JRPG genre and magnify them.

What the hell do you mean get over the 2D graphics? It's one of the most beautiful games ever made:

Oh I think it looks fantastic. Just some younger gamers might dismiss it straight away since it doesn't look like COD. So its decided, get Chrono Trigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I love that Magus is sitting alone in a tree.

Oh I think it looks fantastic. Just some younger gamers might dismiss it straight away since it doesn't look like COD. So its decided, get Chrono Trigger!

Now I'm wondering if you're referring to me as a younger gamer. :)
    31 but 13 at heart. I see Chrono Trigger is on DS so will try that out.

Thanks for all the feedback

Good choice, the DS port is wonderful and far better than the PS1 and GBA Final Fantasy ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,370 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Good choice, the DS port is wonderful and far better than the PS1 and GBA Final Fantasy ports.

Snes or nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Tell you what, avoid Infinite Undiscovery. Tried playing it for the third time last night and couldn't force myself to play for more than an hour. Awful characters, terrible voice acting, rubbish premise and a battle system that's just button mashing.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Snes or nothing!

Some of us aren't made of money Richie Rich :)

Advertisement