Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork City Marathon, June 4th 2012.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck to all doing the relay, half or full in Cork! At the moment, weather looks to be pretty perfect, running wise, for Monday http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/Cork%2C_Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Name|Predicted Time|Actual Time
    Belcarra|03:29:59
    corkrunner71|03:09:50
    Sideswipe|03:25:00
    Taramorourke|03:35:00
    irfrm|03:29:58
    BobMac104|03:30:00
    PaulieYifter|03:14:30
    Conor74|03:39:59
    Jcsmum|03:44:59
    Mr Slow|03:44:59
    Alitoast|03:45:00
    foxyboxer|03:44:59
    outforarun|03:29:57
    qweeva|03:39:59
    Formosa|03:59:59
    Blooming|03:59:59

Sorted :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eusty5000

I know it's a long shot but I'd love to run the Half on Monday. Last minute decision so I'm not expecting anything, but if anyone has a bib they're not going to use please PM me. Best of luck to everyone on the day :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Took a beating from the Physio today

In panic mode now cause wife and son suffering with a cold - should I ask them to move out?

Perfectly reasonable suggestion. Send them packing! I certainly would :D

If your not that cold hearted, swap rooms with your son.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

EauRouge79 wrote: »

No the bugs will be in there waiting, best to breath air only from the freezer :D

• Advertisement

EauRouge79 wrote: »

He's only 7 months old so he's still in our room.
    I slept in a different room last night alright and will do the same tonight :D

Can't avoid the car journey and hotel room on Sat and Sun though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

Good luck to everyone running on Monday. Don't forget to support C Team - Cancer Survivors relay team around the course.!

Mile Marks: These have been put up around the course, but are stuck to the nearest lamppost/wall/bench/whatever. The marks on the ground, which may be before or after the yoke stuck to the lamppost, are accurate.

Last year the 20k mark (on the Lakelands/Blackrock walkway) was over 0.25 miles out :eek: - the person painting the marks couldn't find my mark and then put the official mark in the wrong place.

I put down a clearer mark yesterday and, hopefully, 'the mark painters' will put it on the right spot for Monday.

Finally, (beating my head on the wall on this one! :rolleyes: ), can I yet again suggest that people run the SPR (Shortest Possible Route). I see very few people running it in any race, but it makes a much bigger difference in a marathon. The course is measured on 'line of sight', from bend to bend, and it can make a significant difference. Over one section, around the 18.5 M area, you can save yourself approx. 17m in a 0.35 mile section by running the SPR, yet I see people 'glued' to the left hand side of the road here every year. The only time I'd recommend deviating is when there is a strong headwind, and you can shelter behind someone - drafting.

- Condor131 - AIMS/IAAF Measurer for Cork City Marathon

Condo131 wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone running on Monday. Don't forget to support C Team - Cancer Survivors relay team around the course.!

Mile Marks: These have been put up around the course, but are stuck to the nearest lamppost/wall/bench/whatever. The marks on the ground, which may be before or after the yoke stuck to the lamppost, are accurate.

Last year the 20k mark (on the Lakelands/Blackrock walkway) was over 0.25 miles out :eek: - the person painting the marks couldn't find my mark and then put the official mark in the wrong place.

I put down a clearer mark yesterday and, hopefully, 'the mark painters' will put it on the right spot for Monday.

Finally, (beating my head on the wall on this one! :rolleyes: ), can I yet again suggest that people run the SPR (Shortest Possible Route). I see very few people running it in any race, but it makes a much bigger difference in a marathon. The course is measured on 'line of sight', from bend to bend, and it can make a significant difference. Over one section, around the 18.5 M area, you can save yourself approx. 17m in a 0.35 mile section by running the SPR, yet I see people 'glued' to the left hand side of the road here every year. The only time I'd recommend deviating is when there is a strong headwind, and you can shelter behind someone - drafting.

Thanks Condor, can you confirm something for me? Is the white line in the Jack Lynch Tunnel the SPR

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Finally, (beating my head on the wall on this one! :rolleyes: ), can I yet again suggest that people run the SPR (Shortest Possible Route).

Is it okay if I send any Garmin users complaining about the length of the route straight to you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Shhh, don't be telling everyone! I'm relying on that to gain me an extra 100 places!!:p

• Advertisement

Is it okay if I send any Garmin users complaining about the length of the route straight to you? :D
    LOL!! :D:D:D
    Garmins (and other GPS devices) = bane of measurers lives. Jones Counter, Jones Counter!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yeah, don't give away all the trade secrets. Always run the long way round a corner, you run faster if you let people shelter behind you when running into a head wind...

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Thanks Condor, can you confirm something for me? Is the white line in the Jack Lynch Tunnel the SPR
    It's line of sight through the tunnel (and everywhere else). In the tunnel, the left hand lane (as we run through) is coned off for emergency use, so the centre continuous white line is where it was (up to a point) measured.

After you turn at the roundabout, you should swing very quickly over to the left, along the cones - most people are glued to the wall! After you come out of the tunnel, most people cross immediately to the hard shoulder on the right, yet the road continues to swing left for about another 0.3 miles, so, unless there is a strong headwind, best to keep the racing line = SPR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

See here

Condo, I have a question for you as well (or for anyone else who might know). I see on the site that the first bus for the Ringmahon Rd relay changeover leaves city hall at 9.45am and takes 20 minutes approx. Is this confirmed?
    Our relay team would expect to be at the changeovert somewhere around 10.05 to 10.10am. Would taking the bus be too risky? Any other otions of getting there apart from jogging out?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Is that first bus or last bus? Sure I was there earlier before when starting from there.

robinph wrote: »
    Is that first bus or last bus? Sure I was there earlier before when starting from there.

That's the first bus according to here.
    Yeah hopefully that's a mistake I'll check it out on sunday at the expo and we can make final decisions over a few beers on sunday night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

He's only 7 months old so he's still in our room.
    I slept in a different room last night alright and will do the same tonight :D

Can't avoid the car journey and hotel room on Sat and Sun though :o

I think you're fully within your rights to send them on the train and you take a bug free car:D I'm sure Mrs P would have no problem with that.... Packed train, 7 month old, toddler... It's not that big of a problem

menoscemo wrote: »
    See here

Condo, I have a question for you as well (or for anyone else who might know). I see on the site that the first bus for the Ringmahon Rd relay changeover leaves city hall at 9.45am and takes 20 minutes approx. Is this confirmed?
    Our relay team would expect to be at the changeovert somewhere around 10.05 to 10.10am. Would taking the bus be too risky? Any other otions of getting there apart from jogging out?
    I've no idea what time the buses are at, however I'd be very surprised if the first bus to that leg was at 9:45am. I reckon that's a mistake and it's actually the last one. In theory, the first relay team should be going through there well under the hour, so 9:45 is way too late. More likely 8:45 for first bus, but only guessing.
    ....I'd better find out....I'm starting there :rolleyes:

I've no idea what time the buses are at, however I'd be very surprised if the first bus to that leg was at 9:45am. I reckon that's a mistake and it's actually the last one. In theory, the first relay team should be going through there well under the hour, so 9:45 is way too late. More likely 8:45 for first bus, but only guessing.
    ....I'd better find out....I'm starting there :rolleyes:

Yeah thanks; I just asked on the facebook page and they were very quick in replying that it is a mistake, there will be earlier buses.
    How is your team looking this year condo? will you be any competition for 'the chairmen of the baords(.ie)'?

Edit to say that buses leave to Ringmahon from 9am...

Marthastew wrote: »
    I think you're fully within your rights to send them on the train and you take a bug free car:D I'm sure Mrs P would have no problem with that.... Packed train, 7 month old, toddler... It's not that big of a problem

I'd be happy to take the bags and my sniffle free daughter in the car to make it easy for her :)

• Advertisement

Yeah thanks; I just asked on the facebook page and they were very quick in replying that it is a mistake, there will be earlier buses.
    How is your team looking this year condo? will you be any competition for 'the chairmen of the baords(.ie)'?
    I'm not on a club team this year.....it was too much hassle organising two teams. Two years ago, I delegated club team management to someone else ...only to find myself turfed off the team :eek: ...as too slow!:eek::mad:.

This is my only team this year. I think we'll be very happy with 3:20 -3:30. For us it's not really about the time - it's more to give hope to others faced with Cancer in their lives.

....of course, if Boards have a bad day....we'll try to kick ass!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Is the chip on the bib or will it be one for your shoe?

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Is the chip on the bib or will it be one for your shoe?

Shoe last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Digijem|03:44:59

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

My time is so much slower than anyone's on the table. I'm hoping to improve by an hour on last year (where i had a mini meltdown) and come in this year in 4.30! So that's me being honest, and I'd be delighted with that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Jogathon wrote: »
    My time is so much slower than anyone's on the table. I'm hoping to improve by an hour on last year (where i had a mini meltdown) and come in this year in 4.30! So that's me being honest, and I'd be delighted with that time!

No need to make any apologies about your time, your running a marathon and that alone is a monumental achievement. Best of luck with your run. Steady pace to avoid that meltdown :),enjoy the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

DigiJem wrote: »
    Digijem|03:44:59
    Mr.Wiggle|03:29:59

First one, so gotta be optimistic!:D

Jogathon wrote: »
    Along with the previous advice fro EauRouge79, I strongly recommend going out easy. It's hard not to get caught in the hype, enthusiasm and euphoria of the start, but most people go out *WAY* too fast...and pay for it later. I recommend doing the first mile no faster than your average intended pace. Remember a Marathon isn't like a short race, you *CAN'T* bank time in it.
    In the latter stages, pay attention to body form - relaxing, even if it takes an effort - it'll pay off in both time on the day and also help with your recovery afterwards.

Good luck on Monday!

[Note to self: Heed your own advice next time out! :rolleyes: ]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Best of luck everyone running Cork, looking forward to all the reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Edit to say that buses leave to Ringmahon from 9am...

Just back from registration in City Hall so here's the bus info (sorry for the crappy pic from my phone)...

34zaaoo.jpg
    Shoe last year

Chip on your shoe again this year.

Btw the men's t-shirt is green this year.

Best of luck to everyone on Monday!

Advertisement