Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutrition 101

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Butter butter butter a thousand times butter.

There aren't all that many more cals in butter than in flora light. A 'pat' of butter is about 5g so less than 50cals. Two of those is my average portion on veg or on a potato etc and I eat more butter than most.

10g flora light = 35
    10g butter = 100

~I think but I will also in the long run use less and less so it doesn't matter. There is more taste in butter so I won't need more than 5g.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

saa wrote: »
    10g flora light = 35
    10g butter = 100

~I think but I will also in the long run use less and less so it doesn't matter. There is more taste in butter so I won't need more than 5g.

I think you've made the right choice. You would be increasing your overall risk of cancer for the sake of 70 measly calories, doesn't sound worth it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

I'll echo what El D said:

Butter over any spread.
    And coconut oil over olive oil (and definitely over one of those sprays) when heating/frying. Olive oil is fine though if used at room temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭lisij

hello there lads, i need a advice/correction of my diet if im doing anything wrong in my diet
    my diet is:

Breakfast:
    porridge oats about 40g with 0.3 skimmed milk boiled

pre-lunch
    6 eggs-3 light boiled with yellows, and 3 hard boiled only whites

Lunch
    oven cooked or steamed chicken breast putting on it mixed chili-tomato sauce(not ketchup or sweet chili sauce), some time cod fish, plus rice/brown rice or hard grain pasta and adding something from those:mixed vegetables or peas or tomatoes & cucumber

dinner
    red salmon stake with vegetables or prawn salad(tomatoes, onion, salad,prawns)
    sometime when im tired of fish im eating only almonds about 50-60gramms with banana and apple

supper
    cottage cheese 250gramms (meddium fat) (buying from Lithuanian shops) blended with banana
    or sometime peanuts with banana, apple if i get tired of cottage cheese or if i run out of some

that is my whole diet
    i work out 3 times a week, no cardio YET (too cold :) ,excuses)
    i drink minimum 2,5ltr of water a day, plus green tea no sugar of course once or twice daily
    that's all said, i wonder if my diet is well balanced
    sorry if i made any grammar mistakes, im a foreign guy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Pixie Girl

lisij wrote: »
    hello there lads, i need a advice/correction of my diet if im doing anything wrong in my diet
    my diet is:

Breakfast:
    porridge oats about 40g with 0.3 skimmed milk boiled

pre-lunch
    6 eggs-3 light boiled with yellows, and 3 hard boiled only whites

Lunch
    oven cooked or steamed chicken breast putting on it mixed chili-tomato sauce(not ketchup or sweet chili sauce), some time cod fish, plus rice/brown rice or hard grain pasta and adding something from those:mixed vegetables or peas or tomatoes & cucumber

dinner
    red salmon stake with vegetables or prawn salad(tomatoes, onion, salad,prawns)
    sometime when im tired of fish im eating only almonds about 50-60gramms with banana and apple

supper
    cottage cheese 250gramms (meddium fat) (buying from Lithuanian shops) blended with banana
    or sometime peanuts with banana, apple if i get tired of cottage cheese or if i run out of some

that is my whole diet
    i drink minimum 2,5ltr of water a day, plus green tea no sugar of course once or twice daily
    that's all said, i wonder if my diet is well balanced
    sorry if i made any grammar mistakes, im a foreign guy :)

Hi lisij!
    What are your stats... Height/weight/age?
    Are you trying to loose weight?
    Your diet seems pretty well balanced, at a guess you are probabaly taking in about 2,000 calories, you have protein with every meal and your carbs are coming from vegetables/fruit/wholegrains.
    Are the peanuts you eat salted?
    Do you drink alcohol?

• Advertisement

Pixie Girl wrote: »
    Hi lisij!
    What are your stats... Height/weight/age?
    Are you trying to loose weight?
    Your diet seems pretty well balanced, at a guess you are probabaly taking in about 2,000 calories, you have protein with every meal and your carbs are coming from vegetables/fruit/wholegrains.
    Are the peanuts you eat salted?
    Do you drink alcohol?
    im trying loose weight but keep muscles (gain also)
    im overweight 119kg, height 182cm, age 27..
    no peanuts are not salted (mostly i eat almonds)
    alcohol only on occasions (birthday, new year etc) but still trying to avoid

im trying loose weight but keep muscles (gain also)
    im overweight 119kg, height 182cm, age 27..
    no peanuts are not salted (mostly i eat almonds)
    alcohol only on occasions (birthday, new year etc) but still trying to avoid

Ok you need to start doing some cardio... walking/running/swimming or cycling, whatever you enjoy!

You should track your food using myfitnesspal.com for a couple of weeks. This will give you a good idea of whether you are maintaining a daily calorie deficit of about 500 to lose weight.

Ok you need to start doing some cardio... walking/running/swimming or cycling, whatever you enjoy!

You should track your food using myfitnesspal.com for a couple of weeks. This will give you a good idea of whether you are maintaining a daily calorie deficit of about 500 to lose weight.

thanx but i disagree with you, cardio for my body weight is currently not allowed, if i start to run (which i would prefer more) i would get sooner or later knee injury.. swimming - involves all muscle to work, which is not good for me either, cause i do 3 day a week workout in the gym, and i need to rest all my muscle for them to grow (muscle grow when you rest) that said, if i add swimming to my 3 day workout which involves all body muscle to work it will only mean my muscle wont grow cause i give stress to them when they are needed to be resting.. cant say much about walking,it is same as running only less intense besides it will not give me as much result as i wanted to be.. so only thing for me is diet or as i should say balanced food for my body, and WATER, plenty of water.. as soon as i reach at least 90kg i dont think i need cardio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Well then take Pixie's advice on counting calories. To lose weight you need to have a deficit of 500 a day to lose a pound a week.

I think if your able to go to the gym and lift weights then your well able to go for a brisk walk or jog.

Just my opinion though.

Well then take Pixie's advice on counting calories. To lose weight you need to have a deficit of 500 a day to lose a pound a week.

I think if your able to go to the gym and lift weights then your well able to go for a brisk walk or jog.

Just my opinion though.
    dont want to sound rude but i still disagree :) the main thing to loose weight is to have a great nutrition balanced food daily.. our body gained fat, and it will loose it same way, just give it what it REALLY needs, and it will burn fat that he don't need... all other things like exercises only gains muscles, but still you need to know what you are doing, not just run for 10km like a maniac, which will give you almost nothing (yeah yeah you will lose weight but you will not gain muscles) ANYWAYSSSSSS...
    long story short.. again dont want to sound rude, but my question was only to ask is my diet well balanced, for all the exercise things running, gym, please leave it with me, i know what am i doing :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Just my opinion though.

He is right about cardio. Beyond walking there is possibility of joint issues at that weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He doesn't need to do cardio to lose weight.
    Running could well lead to impact injuries.
    And walking doesn't burn a whole lot energy. Probably less than the weight training he is doing. Which burns energy just like light cardio. The key to a deficit is diet not exercise.

Mellor wrote: »
    And walking doesn't burn a whole lot energy. Probably less than the weight training he is doing. Which burns energy just like light cardio. The key to a deficit is diet not exercise.
    He is right about cardio. Beyond walking there is possibility of joint issues at that weight.

He intially said it was because it was too cold that he wasn't doing cardio.

Myself and pixie both mentioned the calorie deficit which he has yet to reply to.

Mellor wrote: »

I understand that diet is the most important factor for losing weight. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong advice but I always thought that for optimum results exercise should be a combination of cardiovascular exercise and strength training?

He intially said it was because it was too cold that he wasn't doing cardio.

Myself and pixie both mentioned the calorie deficit which he has yet to reply to.
    the weather excuse of a cardio was ONE of the excuses i do not start cardio (hope that makes sense :) ) i even think not to start cardio at all even when i reach my desired body weight, well maybe only once a week, just to gain muscles (and not more than 30minutes)
    what about calorie deficit reply? i dont get it, what do i have to reply to? i've asked for "is my diet well balanced?", got a reply "yes pretty much normal" thats it, all other advices are not related to my question

Best of luck with your weight loss :)

just to make it all clear, it is not that i always were over weighted person and started only now to do anything to loose weight, i lived normal sport life in the past, a lot of running, busy schedules and so on i never knew anything about diet and balanced food every day my body needed, i thinked, i need to do a lot of sport to loose weight... so just one day i stop'ed to exercise, and guess what? i got alot of weight back, you all know probably why? yes cause i fought with my body and gave it stress with all the running, instead of giving natural nutrition and a bit but intense workout.. years after, i decided to loose that weight, but NOW, i learned that to lose weight you need to balance your food, drink water, and do less exercises, but not just any exercises, but every part of your body, and defenetly not every day, cause muscles grow when they rest.. so all this said, please do not advice me about any cardio or weight trainings, anything im not sure is my diet thats it

nope, but quickly reading it, i already knew this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭dinneenp

(presume this is the right thread for this...)

I've started buying 'Good4U' smart seeds.
    At my desk now I have 'sunflower mix', contains:
    • 66% sunflower seeds
    • seasame seeds,
    • linseeds,
    • savoury sauce
    • soyabeans
    • sea salt & koji

I'm eating them as I presume they're good for me, contain 'good stuff'. I don't eat a massvie amount in a day as I guess they're high in fat.

Are they good for me, should I take something else instead?

Cheers,
    pa.

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »

• 66% sunflower seeds
    • seasame seeds,
    • linseeds,
    • savoury sauce
    • soyabeans
    • sea salt & koji

I'm eating them as I presume they're good for me, contain 'good stuff'. I don't eat a massvie amount in a day as I guess they're high in fat.

Cheers,
    pa.
    sunflower seeds, soy, savoury sauce? not sounds good.. and sea salt, i dont think there small amount of it, too much salt isnt good also... why not just eat plain peanuts, without any mixtures?

why not just eat plain peanuts, without any mixtures?

:eek:
    dinneenp wrote: »

• 66% sunflower seeds
    • seasame seeds,
    • linseeds,
    • savoury sauce
    • soyabeans
    • sea salt & koji

Cheers,
    pa.

It would be cheaper if you bought them seperately and made up your own mix. Tesco are quite resonable with their nuts in their 'whole food' sections. The savoury sauce is more than likely not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

IMO people go nuts on nuts and seeds. Are they good? Not especially. Sure, if you replace creme eggs with nuts, that's better. But add nuts to a diet? Most nuts are high in omega 6 PUFAs. Have some fiber, but for the calories they are not worth it.

If you like eating them, fine, go ahead. But don't be under the impression they are super healthy.

rocky wrote: »
    IMO people go nuts on nuts and seeds. Are they good? Not especially. Sure, if you replace creme eggs with nuts, that's better. But add nuts to a diet? Most nuts are high in omega 6 PUFAs. Have some fiber, but for the calories they are not worth it.

If you like eating them, fine, go ahead. But don't be under the impression they are super healthy.
    no, i did not meant to say add them as you daily meal, but once a week they wont do any harm, if you eat them in low portions that is...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I agree nuts and seeds probably have a bit of an undeserved 'super healthy!' reputation, but damn, they are pretty nutrient dense even for the calories. I'm not sure we can equate the omega 6 that's protectively packed in a load of anti-oxidants and other probably-as-yet-to-be-discovered beneficial compounds with cooking oil.

Having said that I stay away from peanuts due to many of them bearing the highly carcinogenic aflatoxin mould, yes in small quantities but enough to make me not want to include them in my diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

I am cutting and doing Starting Strength. Roughly how much grams of protein per kg of body weight do I need a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Not sure if this is the right spot. Basiclly I've started a weight loss routine. Gym 4 to 5 times a week. 3 of those days are 30 minutes cardio. The others are at least 30 mins with some weights thrown in. I try to limit my cal intake to about 1600, my bmr is about 1900 cals. The good news is that since june I've gone from 17.5 stone to 14.5 :) the bad news is bloody chocolate and fast food, there's days where I'll crave it so bad I could eat 6 or 7 candy bars back to back or I could have cereal for breakfast hop a bus to the city and with in an hour of eating breakfast I'll be staring at the door of fatso burger wanting something.

Anyone know good ways to beat these cravings into submission? I know part of it is quick fixes when I'm under stress etc. But apart from that any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Faolchu wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right spot. Basiclly I've started a weight loss routine. Gym 4 to 5 times a week. 3 of those days are 30 minutes cardio. The others are at least 30 mins with some weights thrown in. I try to limit my cal intake to about 1600, my bmr is about 1900 cals. The good news is that since june I've gone from 17.5 stone to 14.5 :) the bad news is bloody chocolate and fast food, there's days where I'll crave it so bad I could eat 6 or 7 candy bars back to back or I could have cereal for breakfast hop a bus to the city and with in an hour of eating breakfast I'll be staring at the door of fatso burger wanting something.

Anyone know good ways to beat these cravings into submission? I know part of it is quick fixes when I'm under stress etc. But apart from that any ideas?

Well, regarding your chocolate craving - what I found really helped was switching to dark chocolate. I'm far less likely to eat more than a square or two at night. I don't actually crave the usual dairy milk/galaxy chocolate anymore. :) You can build your way up too, start on 45% cocoa and move up gradually. It does take a week or so to adjust. I began with the lindt mint one anyway. Hope it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Whoooo finally broke my long pleateau/yoyo battle thanks to a mix of started circuit training/HITT and eating lots of fat :O Well I have been cutting carbs a lot of my last few shopping trips and ended up eating a lot more cheeses and pesto/clean peanut butter (in suggested portions) with veg/fruit and the odd whole wheat cracker, and Quorn/veg based dinners.
    I thought I would have gained because I felt like I was eating a lot of oily food but I've lost 3 pounds after so long of fluctuating but eating healthy I know its prob mainly due to training but still I can't believe how long I was focusing on calories cutting down to 1200 (while still eating pasta,noodles,bread) when I trying to eat lighter food I like with good fats works so well for me. Gosh I know its so stupid anyone on this forum could tell me a healthy way to eat or even critisise what I eat now but there is just a massive gap between talking about it and practicing it everyday somethings defiantly clicked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

saa wrote: »
    Whoooo finally broke my long pleateau/yoyo battle thanks to a mix of started circuit training/HITT and eating lots of fat :O Well I have been cutting carbs a lot of my last few shopping trips and ended up eating a lot more cheeses and pesto/clean peanut butter (in suggested portions) with veg/fruit and the odd whole wheat cracker, and Quorn/veg based dinners.
    I thought I would have gained because I felt like I was eating a lot of oily food but I've lost 3 pounds after so long of fluctuating but eating healthy I know its prob mainly due to training but still I can't believe how long I was focusing on calories cutting down to 1200 (while still eating pasta,noodles,bread) when I trying to eat lighter food I like with good fats works so well for me. Gosh I know its so stupid anyone on this forum could tell me a healthy way to eat or even critisise what I eat now but there is just a massive gap between talking about it and practicing it everyday somethings defiantly clicked for me.

Just got to say fat from natural sources is good for you, even the saturated fat. The fat to watch out for is veg/seed oil, chemical processing. Watch the ingredients on pesto if it's stop bought I've noticed they add sunflower oil instead of olive oil(I should say olive oil is good when not over heated, and coconut oil is good too)
    Try find a better alternative to Quorn too it's not the best thing to be eating, can't remember now but I think some of the ingredients are bad.

Don't worry about too much fat.

Advertisement