Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCOS & Dieting

• 09-05-2015 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi I have PCOS and on Metformin to try to help insulin resistance and find it hard to lose weight. I have heard of a diet specifically to help people with PCOS lose weight, has anyone any advice? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Hi I have PCOS and on Metformin to try to help insulin resistance and find it hard to lose weight. I have heard of a diet specifically to help people with PCOS lose weight, has anyone any advice? Thanks.

It's generally a low GI diet that would be advocated. Tons of Info available online, and lots of books around too!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

The Insulin Resistance Diet book is quite good, have had some success on it myself and it's geared towards PCOS-ers like us :) The book is pretty thick but the mechanics of the diet are pretty straight forward (the book is bulked out with recipes etc.). The main rule is no more than 30g net carbs per meal and this has to be balanced by at least 15g of protein at the same time. There's more to it but that's the central rule. The book is available through most online stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Curioustoknow

Thank you both for your help, had heard there was special diet that helped as conventional methods don't always work. Will get that book and try to follow that and see how I go!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Low carb is pretty good for PCOS as you need to tackle insulin resistance that goes along with it.

I recommend the Idiot Proof Diet as it's easy enough to follow and isn't too strict.

Advertisement