Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Everyone has now seen that Walsh is going well and O'Sullivan is back to him self. We already know Donaghy is going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I thought yesterday couldn't have gone better with respect to dampening expectation. There's a very real possibility that we'll be gone come the semi. Mayo and particularly the Donegal midfield will eat us alive. There's too much belief that MDM, Flynn can flick the switch and come good when it matters. We spent the entire year of 2012 expecting this to happen without it coming to pass.

The old problem of getting rattled defensively seems to have reared it's head too, some of that can be apportioned to the most inept and biased refereeing Ive ever witnessed in a senior game of football. We've the likes of Cooper McCaffrey O'Sullivan Connolly and Bernard playing at their near peak but another 3-4 need to find that level in the next 4 weeks and 2 of those need to be the midfield pairing.

On the upside 2-20 from play is an excellent return against a well drilled defence that didn't lie down - the class is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I thought yesterday couldn't have gone better with respect to dampening expectation. There's a very real possibility that we'll be gone come the semi. Mayo and particularly the Donegal midfield will eat us alive. There's too much belief that MDM, Flynn can flick the switch and come good when it matters. We spent the entire year of 2012 expecting this to happen without it coming to pass.

The old problem of getting rattled defensively seems to have reared it's head too, some of that can be apportioned to the most inept and biased refereeing Ive ever witnessed in a senior game of football. We've the likes of Cooper McCaffrey O'Sullivan Connolly and Bernard playing at their near peak but another 3-4 need to find that level in the next 4 weeks and 2 of those need to be the midfield pairing.

On the upside 2-20 from play is an excellent return against a well drilled defence that didn't lie down - the class is still there.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on where we are at too. There is an intensity and ruthlessness about Mayo and Kerry now, that is really lacking in our last two games. We can't just turn it on like a tap. We are keeping the scoreboards ticking over nicely, because we have great forwards and the quality of the opposition hasn't been great. But Jesus Christ, we'll be skinned alive if we keep it up. We're great in 20 minute spurts, but then take the eye of the ball completely. Didn't we let in two garbage time goals against Cork in the league final too?

Aside from the form of MDMA & Flynn, I'm worried about our bench too. The drop off in performance was noticeable when Gavin began taking people off. It's not as deep as it used to be, especially in the forwards. With Rock starting, EO'G out & Kev Mc's form being questionable, our tried and trusty policy of throwing on fresh forwards to tire out the legs of the oppositions weary backs, may not be as reliable this year. I also tend to get worried when I see Mick Fitzsimons taking off his warm up gear. Wouldn't be a huge fan.

Then again, maybe that ridiculous goal is taking the gloss off things. The odds of that ever happening again are practically zero, but still....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Take those 2 outrageous goals out of the equation, the fact the ref rode us for 70 mins and that most of our scores came from play... It wasn't a bad day at the office.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Then again, maybe that ridiculous goal is taking the gloss off things. The odds of that ever happening again are practically zero, but still....
    Slattsy wrote: »
    Take those 2 outrageous goals out of the equation, the fact the ref rode us for 70 mins and that most of our scores came from play... It wasn't a bad day at the office.

Maybe we are being too hard on ourselves - this time last year we'd caned Monaghan and were a train wreck coming Donegals way .. this year the Kerry lads are driving the locomotive straight back to Killarney for the home coming by all accounts. The reaction to Dublins defeat of Kildare is the polar opposite to what we now see being written elsewhere about yesterdays dismantling of the same team. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be as insular as to not appreciate a very good performance from a very good team.

Maybe it's because the perception being traded now is perfomance = success, whereas in fact results = success. We've seen enough moderate performances from the great Tyrone and Kerry teams of the last decade to dispel the myth that you have to be exceptional every time you take the field.

The old insurance disclaimer .. past performance is not indicative of future results may well pertain here also

• Advertisement

What's the general rule of thumb if I wanted to get back playing football? Parish and catchment areas etc etc
    There's plenty of clubs around me.

Not sure of my level, as I've not played GAA in years so I think I'll start at the bottom and take it from there!

(Hopefully make the senior squad next year all going to plan lol)

Any advice on this lads??

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Any advice on this lads??

The key issue is who did you play for previously. Given the nature of the forum it was likely to be a club in Dublin, which will mean that you will have to either rejoin that club, or wait till early December to transfer to a different club. If it was a club outside Dublin, then an intercounty transfer will be required. This is actually easier to obtain.

If you are living in or near the Dublin 15 area, I'd happily recommend a good club to you. Playing senior championship football for the first time this year, with teams in Divisions 2, 6, 10 and 11 South.

I'm sure one or two others on the forum could recommend a club aswell.

Thanks, that's cleared a few things up.

I used to play for St. Periguins when i was living in my folks'. I havnt moved a million miles away, its still only 15 mins up the road, but there's about 4 clubs beside where i live now (i bet you can guess where i am!) so i wasnt sure how that worked exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I'm usually a worrier when it comes to Dublin but I'm not too worried right now. Ideally we'd have had a challenge and midfield (especially MDM) would be contributing more, but the defence looks stronger and Bernard has upped his game recently. Donegal to me aren't the same beast without Jim while Mayo are more suited to us style-wise, not writing them off but I'll be confident. Comparing us to the last 2 years, I'd say we're generally better across the field with the exception of midfield. Bernard looks back on form, Connolly flying, Kilkenny contributing more, McCaffrey and Cooper playing their best stuff, CO'S a more solid option at #6, and we look less naive in general at the back. Don't let a couple of stupid goals fool you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The more and more I think about it I think the fact that the massacre of Kildare happened just before our match has somewhat put the willies up us. We didn't just suddenly turn into a crap team.

The ref rode us (I can't believe some people in other threads are suggesting otherwise) and Fermanagh played well. But we still scored 2-20 from play and it looked like there was another gear in us.

I was worried about Flynner but some of his passing was top-notch; sure he's lost the ball a couple of times not under pressure but I think we'll see him inside come late on in the SF or in the final if we get there.

Looking back on the Kerry game I was genuinely petrified by how good Walsh was for his cameo. But Kildare had left Croker at that stage.

Don't forget how after we hammered Kildare we were told how it was all about them rolling over but with Kerry it's being talked about like the second coming.

Be grand. First things first Mayo or Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Just looked at the game in full on the player. In some ways the defence was great, squeezing Fermanagh throughout. But on the other hand, especially in the first-half, we allowed them too much space. Donegal, Kerry, or Mayo could do a far better job exploiting that space.

The referee was diabolically poor. No more needs to be said.

Bernard Brogan was particularly brilliant.

Overall though, it wasn't a massive test. Fermanagh got fairly knackered as both halves went on, and Dublin were able to score more freely as both halves went on. I don't know what sort of challenge games Dublin are playing, but you'd have your fears going into the semi-final. The fears which were realised in last year's semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

My glass is half full today! The ref didn't give us a fair shake. The first goal was a joke, and the second was worse, but I believe we could go through the next five championship seasons without conceding similar.

Seeing Kerry annihilate Kildare, and us "struggle" against Fermanagh will lower expectations and lower down the hype. We are playing well. We are more defensively sound than we were last year, and unlikely to fall into the same traps. Maybe Mayo/ Donegal/ Kerry/ Tyrone/ Monaghan will set up something brilliant for us to fall into, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

The more and more I think about it I think the fact that the massacre of Kildare happened just before our match has somewhat put the willies up us. We didn't just suddenly turn into a crap team.

The ref rode us (I can't believe some people in other threads are suggesting otherwise) and Fermanagh played well. But we still scored 2-20 from play and it looked like there was another gear in us.

I was worried about Flynner but some of his passing was top-notch; sure he's lost the ball a couple of times not under pressure but I think we'll see him inside come late on in the SF or in the final if we get there.

Looking back on the Kerry game I was genuinely petrified by how good Walsh was for his cameo. But Kildare had left Croker at that stage.

Don't forget how after we hammered Kildare we were told how it was all about them rolling over but with Kerry it's being talked about like the second coming.

Didn't look too mobile though.;)

The ref rode us (I can't believe some people in other threads are suggesting otherwise) and Fermanagh played well......

Anyone offering an alternate opinion to that refereeing performance Sunday is deluded or just so anti Dublin that their opinion is poisoned to the point that they're not worth debating with, O'Sullivan contributed about 1-06 to Fermanagh ;)

We've seen last year how difficult the big man (in our case EOG) found it against Donegal - if the McGees find the same intensity Saturday they'll stop AOS inside. They'll let him get plenty of ball it's just he'll find it exceedingly difficult to do something with it. I'm guessing as the game wears on AOS will play a more withdrawn role. On the other hand I think if Murphy plays the advanced role Cafferky or Cunniffe (or anybody incl ROC tbh) will have a huge job on their hands. It's not necessarily the winning of the game but I'd shade it towards Donegal if they've the gas in their legs.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Anyone offering an alternate opinion to that refereeing performance Sunday is deluded or just so anti Dublin that their opinion is poisoned to the point that they're not worth debating with, O'Sullivan contributed about 1-06 to Fermanagh ;)

We've seen last year how difficult the big man (in our case EOG) found it against Donegal - if the McGees find the same intensity Saturday they'll stop AOS inside. They'll let him get plenty of ball it's just he'll find it exceedingly difficult to do something with it. I'm guessing as the game wears on AOS will play a more withdrawn role. On the other hand I think if Murphy plays the advanced role Cafferky or Cunniffe (or anybody incl ROC tbh) will have a huge job on their hands. It's not necessarily the winning of the game but I'd shade it towards Donegal if they've the gas in their legs.

The more I think about Saturday the less I care about who we play. I think there's a fart between Donegal and Mayo when you weigh up everything.

I'm more interested in the Monaghan and Tyrone match as a barometer of what Kerry will face.

Once one of Dublin, Tyrone, Donegal, Mayo or Monaghan lift Sam on the 20th September, I don't care. That's where I'm at.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Once one of Dublin, Tyrone, Donegal, Mayo or Monaghan lift Sam on the 20th September, I don't care. That's where I'm at.

Ah don't be like that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

That's how I see it too. However I wouldn't be surprised if Mayo lined out similar to 2013. Better than anyone they know how to play their own game against Donegal.

I could see AOS out the field running at Donegal. The boys might eat him alive inside.

I think Donegal are going well, but they are dropping their game for long periods hitting teams and showing their worth in spurts. While this is encouraging for their fans they haven't come up against a team that can go at them for a full game like Mayo can I include Monaghan here as Monaghan often fall off.
    I think Horans mayo would take this Donegal team, but it remains to be seen if their new set up can send out a team to go like 2013 because I think that would turn Donegal over.

In short I wouldn't play AOS up front for the whole game. They might get a run at Donegal in the first half if they get a lead you could push him into 14 and counter with him.

But I think Donegal could handle him if he starts there.

keane2097 wrote:
    Ah don't be like that.

If we do end up playing Kerry I bet it will bloody raining, jammy Kerry and the rain.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Ah don't be like that.

I'm actively encouraging the brethern here to be more parochial .. we've become far too wishy washy ..... we were far more opinionated when we were shíte ;)

Stoner wrote: »
    If we do end up playing Kerry I bet it will be bloody raining yet more Kev Mc goals ... jammy Kerry and the rain.

Fixed that for you.

You're welcome. :)

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Ah don't be like that.

Maybe one day.

But that day is not today.

So then, who do we want to win on Saturday?

I'm dammed if I know. I know its "only" Connacht, but Mayo seem to be going really, really well so far and The Fringe is going really well....but we had their number 2 yrs ago and neither squad is all that much changed from then.

Donegal don't have as impressive results, but have to endure a much a harder road to get where they are. So comparing where they are now to where Mayo is, is like comparing apples and oranges imo. They are missing McG, which is a huge negative. But even so, the players have The Day That Shall Live In Infamy in their collective memory banks. If its all tied up with 10 minutes to go, I think I'd fear them more than I would Mayo.

Anyway, we'll find out soon enough. Heading in meself. Wouldn't miss it for the world !

I'm going in too.
    Not sure we have Mayos number, didn't in 2012. They added some lads to midfield, where we struggle and AOS at 14, where we continue to leave ROC man on man and often isolated. But Brogan could do a number on them again alright, still don't think they have a number 3.

I'd rather play Donegal, between 2011 and 2014 we could put it to bed and i think mayo could get a run on us

Don't care between Tyrone or Monaghan, but I'll shout for Monaghan as Tyrone have had more success, but ultimately I don't mind, I could change on the day if I like what I see

We were fierce leggy and lethargic in 2012. It was our first post AI winning campaign and the hunger and the drive just wasn't there. You could see it as early as the league. By the time we faced Mayo in the sf, the writing was on the wall imo. I left Croke Park that day, not one bit surprised. Gutted yes, but not all that surprised.

2013 was a different kettle fish. We had the driver and the hunger back. (As we do this year.) Even with most of our forwards (except Berno) misfiring, even with O'Gara, Cooper, MDMA & ROC being missing in action for the last quarter, they still couldn't beat us. So yeah, that day, we had their number. They haven't beaten us since, have they?

Nope, throw in MDMA playing at 12 in 2012 for most of the game too

Sorry, what I meant to say was that MDMA had a broken bone in his foot, so he was wasn't playing in the 2nd half at full tilt.

We were fierce leggy and lethargic in 2012. It was our first post AI winning campaign and the hunger and the drive just wasn't there. You could see it as early as the league. By the time we faced Mayo in the sf, the writing was on the wall imo. I left Croke Park that day, not one bit surprised. Gutted yes, but not all that surprised.

2013 was a different kettle fish. We had the driver and the hunger back. (As we do this year.) Even with most of our forwards (except Berno) misfiring, even with O'Gara, Cooper, MDMA & ROC being missing in action for the last quarter, they still couldn't beat us. So yeah, that day, we had their number. They haven't beaten us since, have they?

They got nothing from play against us in 2013 but they do have fierce athletes for an attritional game. When the shooting clicks for them (2006, first half 2012) they can do some damage. Always to be feared for me.

Donegal i'm convinced are not the same team from last year, so Mayo are the stronger side for me. I'm tired watching **** one sided games with Dublin though, so bring on Mayo!

So then, who do we want to win on Saturday?

I'm dammed if I know. I know its "only" Connacht, but Mayo seem to be going really, really well so far and The Fringe is going really well....but we had their number 2 yrs ago and neither squad is all that much changed from then.

Donegal don't have as impressive results, but have to endure a much a harder road to get where they are. So comparing where they are now to where Mayo is, is like comparing apples and oranges imo. They are missing McG, which is a huge negative. But even so, the players have The Day That Shall Live In Infamy in their collective memory banks. If its all tied up with 10 minutes to go, I think I'd fear them more than I would Mayo.

It's really hard to separate both Donegal and Mayo for me.
    The collective success since 2011 and the fact that this is probably the last hurrah for a bunch of them makes me think that Donegal will go gung ho against Mayo.

On the other hand I think that Mayo will be fitter and more prepared for Donegal.

I have flip-flopped all week about it and I think that it matters not who we face in the SF as it will be a tough one.

I don't think we should be worried about who we are gonna face. This Dublin team have another gear.
    Anyway, we'll find out soon enough. Heading in meself. Wouldn't miss it for the world !

I'm more looking forward to tomorrow than I was last week.

Why is it when I see Tyrone in Croker I always have this feeling like 2008 might just happen again.
    Stoner wrote: »
    I'm going in too.
    Not sure we have Mayos number, didn't in 2012. They added some lads to midfield, where we struggle and AOS at 14, where we continue to leave ROC man on man and often isolated. But Brogan could do a number on them again alright, still don't think they have a number 3.

I'd rather play Donegal, between 2011 and 2014 we could put it to bed and i think mayo could get a run on us

Don't care between Tyrone or Monaghan, but I'll shout for Monaghan as Tyrone have had more success, but ultimately I don't mind, I could change on the day if I like what I see

Tyrone all day for me for many reasons.
    corny wrote: »
    They got nothing from play against us in 2013 but they do have fierce athletes for an attritional game. When the shooting clicks for them (2006, first half 2012) they can do some damage. Always to be feared for me.

Donegal i'm convinced are not the same team from last year, so Mayo are the stronger side for me. I'm tired watching **** one sided games with Dublin though, so bring on Mayo!

Get out!!!

So Mayo. Can't say i'm surprised. Thought they won with loads left in the tank too. Bookies have it Dublin 4/7 Mayo 15/8. Maybe a little skinny on Dublin but i agree they should be favs.

Mayo are brilliant at breaking up attacks on their 45. We're not bad at that either so the template should be very similar to 2013. Both sides will have to work incredibly hard between halves.

BB was the difference last time. Will he be again or will AOS? Dublin need to stop him raising the green flag..

Long auld wait til the end of August though.:mad:

• Advertisement

I'll keep this short because im hungover like a mother ****er still, but we'll beat Mayo easier than we'd beat Donegal. Really wanted Mayo to win y'day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement