Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Detailing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I tend to turn the engine on every 2nd panel or so, just so that Im not constantly running it from the battery without the engine running. But I only use it for a maximum of 10-15 mins altogether though, I'm very aware of running it from the battery. :)

I'm sure you can get ones that run off the mains, but I'm not sure they're as cheap as that one. Have a look in Halfords when you're in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Yes those polishers can be got with a plug rather than a cig lighter fitting.

They dont do a whole lot to be honest - as said, they will aid with the removal of a wax or polish, but only on large flat panels. It will be awkward to use on the side panels, especially on your low car Mrs Crilly! ;) But I suppose it will help make the job a bit easier for 50% of the paint work. The wool pad that comes with it will become clogged with polish / wax after doing a whole car, so it will need to be washed after each time you use it, otherwise it will be almost totally useless when you use it next time. Also, if you want to use it for removing polish, you'd have to wash it before removing wax, and you'd have to wait for the pad to dry out also. Can you see where this is going.... :)

Better investing in a protection thats easy on, easy off and a good buffing cloth! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Curran wrote: »
    Yes those polishers can be got with a plug rather than a cig lighter fitting.

They dont do a whole lot to be honest - as said, they will aid with the removal of a wax or polish, but only on large flat panels. It will be awkward to use on the side panels, especially on your low car Mrs Crilly! ;) But I suppose it will help make the job a bit easier for 50% of the paint work. The wool pad that comes with it will become clogged with polish / wax after doing a whole car, so it will need to be washed after each time you use it, otherwise it will be almost totally useless when you use it next time. Also, if you want to use it for removing polish, you'd have to wash it before removing wax, and you'd have to wait for the pad to dry out also. Can you see where this is going.... :)

Better investing in a protection thats easy on, easy off and a good buffing cloth! :)
    Haha yes Dave i see where this is going! Well if i got a cheap one and a spare pad it would not be so bad. Im just thinking about the days where i attempt the two cars. Im in bits after my cleaning day on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

The Halfords one actually comes with two pads in it (one polishing and one finishing) and you can buy spares/replacements for quite cheap. As I and Curran have said though, it's pretty much only for removing either the Polish/Wax, not much use for anything else.

Worth it for about €30 though if you find it tiresome doing the large panels. :)

dar83 wrote: »
    The Halfords one actually comes with two pads in it (one polishing and one finishing) and you can buy spares/replacements for quite cheap. As I and Curran have said though, it's pretty much only for removing either the Polish/Wax, not much use for anything else.

Worth it for about €30 though if you find it tiresome doing the large panels. :)

I went into Halfords today and I checked out the two of them. The small one looked like a grand size but they had no replacement pads there for it and well I need to have the E46 there if I ever want to use it which is a pain.

The mains operated one looked fooking huge and would be no used to me, at least the small one I could use on the top part of the doors and do the bottom part by hand.

I checked out the 3 for 2 and I just bought 3 things I have never used before. I felt like I was doing the dirty on the Chemical Guys but ya know when your in shop and you don't want to leave empty handed......

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

I note those two sprays can be used on wet so be interested to see what they are like, he was rushing me out of the shop which was probably a good thing, said I should be stuck into handbags and shoes instead :o:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Only one I've used of the 3 was the Demon Shine. Was given a sample and was told that I should use it as a drying aid, and it did help repell water. Handy to use after a shower of rain, you know the typical one you get straight after washing and drying the car, to help wipe off water marks.

The Black in a Flash, is an aerosol, I assume?, which Im not really a fan of as it gets everywhere. The Simoniz Detailer Wax will be a handy product if its any good - if it is, you should get two weeks beading / protection from an application. I have a new product from a supplier and Im testing it on a friends car - supplier promises 6 weeks protection and its on the car two weeks now - but havent seen it since I applied it....was applied to a freshly clayed car, so interested to see the results! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

i like the deamon shine myself. i use it after washing the car to keep the deep wet look on the paintwork

sean1141 wrote: »
    i like the deamon shine myself. i use it after washing the car to keep the deep wet look on the paintwork

Yeah, its very handy for that! But I wouldnt relie on it being your protection, but great for giving the car a glossy boost.

Its a great thing to have in the boot of the car - say you have washed the car and its spotless and you are heading to a show, to give it a final wipe down to take off light dust. Was doing a few photos for a friend one day and he took it out of the boot and it worked a treat.

Yeah, its very handy for that! But I wouldnt relie on it being your protection, but great for giving the car a glossy boost.

Its a great thing to have in the boot of the car - say you have washed the car and its spotless and you are heading to a show, to give it a final wipe down to take off light dust. Was doing a few photos for a friend one day and he took it out of the boot and it worked a treat.

i use a good wax or sealant for protection of the paint work but use the deamon shine to bring it back up after washing

I have a new product from a supplier and Im testing it on a friends car - supplier promises 6 weeks protection and its on the car two weeks now -

I thought I was your friend :D

• Advertisement

mrs crilly wrote: »
    I thought I was your friend :D

We'll look after the E30 when we get it in! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Crilly deamon shine is the shiz, dilute the hell out of it.

dilute the hell out of it.

Really? I thought cos the bottle was so big it was already made up at the right amount :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Really? I thought cos the bottle was so big it was already made up at the right amount :confused:

I would dump it into an empty clean gallon and fill it with water.
    Use it as a drying aid. Brilliant it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

vectra wrote: »

I use Meguiars Last touch, very handy in helping drying the car and sprucing the car up quickly.

I use Meguiars Last touch, very handy in helping drying the car and sprucing the car up quickly.

Good stuff as well, But the Demon shine is cheap as chips

Coolio am eager to try this cos our water is really hard where we live.
    Good stuff as well, But the Demon shine is cheap as chips

I normally use the chemical guys speed shine but your right this is cheap as chips :o

Coolio am eager to try this cos our water is really hard where we live.

Same as here

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mine 2, Its always walking around with one trouser leg rolled up squaring up to people and what not.

listermint wrote: »
    Mine 2, Its always walking around with one trouser leg rolled up squaring up to people and what not.

Ok it took me a while to get that one :o

• Advertisement

no need to dilute the deamon shine you got mrs crilly. thats ready to use. its basicly a quick detailer but way cheaper than the megs/autoglym/etc stuff.

there is a larger cans of it but this is a pour on shine and not a spray on like you got.
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_556669_langId_-1_categoryId_212371
    i usually mix this with water 4 parts water to 1 part deamon shine. that gives 25L of quick detailer for 12.50 :D dirt cheap compared to megs 15 for 710ml

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_168763_langId_-1_categoryId_212371

sean1141 wrote: »
    no need to dilute the deamon shine you got mrs crilly. thats ready to use. its basicly a quick detailer but way cheaper than the megs/autoglym/etc stuff.

there is a larger cans of it but this is a pour on shine and not a spray on like you got.

It's the same stuff Sean only in Larger quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

http://www.carplan.co.uk/index.cfm?category=88

There appears to be a more concentrated version available also. I've never used the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Hello all,

With the evenings getting a bit brighter and my jalope looking somewhat worse for wear after the winter, it's time for a full internal/external clean.

I'm looking on advice on somewhere in Dublin that I can do this myself.

The car does not need a valet, only myself and the GF use it, so its just needing a deep clean.

I want to give it a full hoover & clean inside.

Outside I want to wash, remove all tar, clean alloys, wash windows, wax etc

I had hoped to use pitlane.ie, but a search on here tells me it is closed down. I had actually spoke to these guys before christmas and it was right up my street. They supplied hoover, power washer, hose, electric buffer.. the works.!

I live in an apartment to a clean of this nature is not possible.

Any suggestions appreciated. I don't mind travelling up to 45mins from the City Centre.

Cheers.

W123-80's wrote: »
    Any suggestions appreciated. I don't mind travelling up to 45mins from the City Centre.

Cheers.

Leixlip close enough?

http://spiritdetailing.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The autogylm shampoo ain't that great and I usually add 2 cap fulls, and swish the water about so it suds up. I might just get some of that demon shine? does it smell nice? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Hal1 wrote: »
    The autogylm shampoo ain't that great and I usually add 2 cap fulls, and swish the water about so it suds up. I might just get some of that demon shine? does it smell nice? :)

Demon shine is completely different to a shampoo and is supposed to be used after you have washed your car.

One of The keys to a good shampoo is lubrication rather than suds. So your AG shampoo could still be very good if it has good lubricating properties (haven't used it myself, so don't know if this is the case). There is also the argument that suds can help suspend the dirt and run it off the paintwork, so if you can get a shampoo with both then go for that, but I personally would look for lubrication as my main criteria as if you aren't performing a pre rinse/wash you will be applying your sponge/mitt straight to the dirty paint and the lubrication will help it glide over the paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Seems like an odd coincidence that so many of us are getting into this detailing malarky at the same time. Now maybe thats just a selective perspective. Or maybe it was something to do with someone posting a link to detailingworld on motors (Guilty of that as well).

Either way, at this rate it shouldn't be long before we have some reasonable buying power behind us.

For the record I recently picked up a DodoJuice DAS-6 with some sonus pads and menzerna polish which I'm aching to use. Once the weather settles down a bit and the evenings get longer with the summer time changeover I'll be outside getting strange looks from the neighbours in no time. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Seems like an odd coincidence that so many of us are getting into this detailing malarky at the same time. Now maybe thats just a selective perspective. Or maybe it was something to do with someone posting a link to detailingworld on motors (Guilty of that as well).

Either way, at this rate it shouldn't be long before we have some reasonable buying power behind us.

For the record I recently picked up a DodoJuice DAS-6 with some sonus pads and menzerna polish which I'm aching to use. Once the weather settles down a bit and the evenings get longer with the summer time changeover I'll be outside getting strange looks from the neighbours in no time. :pac:

Speak for yourself :P I've been into it for the last 6 years :D

• Advertisement

For the record I recently picked up a DodoJuice DAS-6

Somehow that just sounds wrong
    DodoJuice and DAS-6 in the same description :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement