Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irelands most likely Olympic 2012 Medals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ontheboard

What's the story with Natalya Coyne in the modern pentathlon? She isn't listed as a qualifier on the governing body's website? Have some athletes pulled out and their places redistributed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

ontheboard wrote: »
    What's the story with Natalya Coyne in the modern pentathlon? She isn't listed as a qualifier on the governing body's website? Have some athletes pulled out and their places redistributed?

Natalya has qualified don't worry....she finished high enough up the Olympic rankings to qualify. The reason she is not listed yet is due to the fact that some NOCs or countries have qualified more than 2 quota places at various qualification events. However, there is a maximum limit of 2 men and 2 women per country for London 2012. Those countries must inform the UIPM (International Federation for Modern Pentathlon) by today on which 2 men and which 2 women they want to represent them in the Games. Once this process is completed, the UIPM will announce by 30th June the re-allocation of those quota places. Natalya is guaranteed of benefitting from this system...she qualified for the very last place available in my calculations.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I see now that there are more than two British, German, Hungarian etc athletes on that list

Natalya Coyle was officially listed as a London Olympics qualifier today by the UIPM (International Modern Pentathlon Federation). We already knew she had secured qualification but it's great to see official confirmation of it nonetheless:

http://www.pentathlon.org/competitions/london-2012/2012-news/item/1711-72-olympic-pentathletes-announced

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Sanita Puspure into World Cup A final

https://twitter.com/rihpp/status/213994274843394048

• Advertisement

Slightly off the point, but who do you guys reckon has had the most agonising failure to qualify for London? The men's hockey springs to mind after the last minute goal from Korea but who else?

Slightly off the point, but who do you guys reckon has had the most agonising failure to qualify for London? The men's hockey springs to mind after the last minute goal from Korea but who else?

Yea I think the men's hockey team's non-qualification was the one of the most agonising of all....conceding in virtually the last couple of seconds was a huge blow.
    Arthur Lanigan-O'Keeffe though was another agonisingly close case....he was battling very hard for qualification in the Modern Pentathlon and was performing strongly at the World Cup Final (which was the final qualification event). However, his hopes were derailed when he slipped from 6th to the back of the field after a disastrous round in the showjumping element....the showjumping in Modern Pentathlon is a precarious event as there is a random draw to attribute riders to the horse they will compete on and it seems Arthur was unlucky with his draw...he probably didn't ride as well as he was capable of but it didn't help that he had been on board a horse with a bad record from the women's event the day before.

Joe Ward's though will go down as the most agonising of all for me if he doesn't get the wildcard place....all accounts say he won that match with Muzaffer, the Turkish boxer, but he was eliminated due to very dodgy judging...hopefully this will be rectified on Monday when the decision on wildcard picks is expected.
    If Chris Bryan does not eventually go in men's open water swimming he will have missed out on a place in his event (10km marathon swim) after a photo-finish....I suppose this was the closest of all of the cases but there is still hope for him.

The wildcards for the women's boxing are starting to come out. Looks like they're going with rankings.

Possible indicator for Joe Ward

Dodge wrote: »
    The wildcards for the women's boxing are starting to come out. Looks like they're going with rankings.

Possible indicator for Joe Ward

I thought it was positive too until I read someone say that this approach will be used only for women's boxing! Still have hope for Joe...it's battered and bruised at this stage but the hope is still there!

First men's invite announced - A Honduran at Light Fly

Seems the Americas are out first.

The 2 European invites are at Light Welter (64kg) and Light heavy (81 kg)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knockcon

So was it expected that light heavyweight was going to go to one of the Europeans? If not then this is positive news right? Who are the main contenders for the invite?

knockcon wrote: »
    So was it expected that light heavyweight was going to go to one of the Europeans? If not then this is positive news right? Who are the main contenders for the invite?

No, thats been known for a while. Dan ran though contenders a while agho.

Basically no European qualifies through the normal tri-partite conditions so the European place may go to the next qualifier.

1) If they take this from the the 2011 World Champs it'll be the lad from Bosnia.
    2) If they take it from the Olympic Qualifier it could be Callum Smith of GB.
    3) If they take it from world rankigns it'll be Joe Ward

The AIBA is arguing that Ward should not have lost to the lad from Turkey and should be 'rewarded' with the invite (presumably mentioning the world ranks and him being European champ)

No, thats been known for a while. Dan ran though contenders a while agho.

Basically no European qualifies through the normal tri-partite conditions so the European place may go to the next qualifier.

1) If they take this from the the 2011 World Champs it'll be the lad from Bosnia.
    2) If they take it from the Olympic Qualifier it could be Callum Smith of GB.
    3) If they take it from world rankigns it'll be Joe Ward

The AIBA is arguing that Ward should not have lost to the lad from Turkey and should be 'rewarded' with the invite (presumably mentioning the world ranks and him being European champ)

They definitely won't look at Callum Smith as it goes on the Worlds in Baku 2011. Looks like either Joe or the Bosnian. I think you mean IABA also....AIBA is international federation.
    We should know by today...fingers crossed for Joe.

Why exactly would it go to the Bosnian if it were to be on the basis of the 2011 World's? Wikipedia is telling me that he and Joe both made it to the third round. I presume it's relevant that Bosnia have no other male boxer qualified?

Why exactly would it go to the Bosnian if it were to be on the basis of the 2011 World's? Wikipedia is telling me that he and Joe both made it to the third round. I presume it's relevant that Bosnia have no other male boxer qualified?

The Bosnian would be ranked higher because it goes on how far their victors went and so on.

That's what I would've thought but both boxers were beaten by fighters who lost in the next round. Regardless anyway, hopefully we hear good news for Ward today

That's what I would've thought but both boxers were beaten by fighters who lost in the next round. Regardless anyway, hopefully we hear good news for Ward today

Yes but then it goes on how far the victors of those boxers progressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Dan man wrote: »
    Yes but then it goes on how far the victors of those boxers progressed.

An absolutely stupid method of deciding an Olympic qualifier I must add.

The FEI have confirmed that Ireland have been allocated two extra places in Eventing

http://www.rte.ie/sport/equestrian/2012/0619/325685-two-extra-places-for-irish-eventers/

Ireland's London 2012 Olympic squad has now reached 60 team members, excellent numbers considering we don't qualify for team events (not including equestrian team events)...more to come also!

• Advertisement

David McCann's place in the road cycling team for London has been confirmed...the final team remains Dan Martin, Nicholas Roche and David McCann (he will also compete for Ireland in the individual time trial event).

Unfortunate to see Brammeier overlooked but best of luck to the three selected all the same...hope they can do well.

No Joe Ward. No surprise but still disappointing

http://www.iaba.ie/aiba-notification-in-regards-to-joe-ward/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yep, all the noises have been negative for the past while - a great hope for success gone before we even get to London. Gutted for him.

So has it been confirmed that it's the Bosnian who will get the place? (based on the fact that the lad who beat him got beaten by a lad who got further than the lad who beat the lad that beat Ward - how ridiculous)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Yep, all the noises have been negative for the past while - a great hope for success gone before we even get to London. Gutted for him.

So has it been confirmed that it's the Bosnian who will get the place? (based on the fact that the lad who beat him got beaten by a lad who got further than the lad who beat the lad that beat Ward - how ridiculous)

Or based on the fact that we have a ridiculous amount of boxers qualified for the size of the country and presumably Bosnia don't.

I don't think that was the reason he wasn't chosen. I think they followed their selection criteria to the letter and based on the reasoning I posted above, selected the Bosnian.

I think it's fair to say that boxing is one of a number of Olympic events where the qualification criteria is somewhat questionable.

I don't think that was the reason he wasn't chosen. I think they followed their selection criteria to the letter and based on the reasoning I posted above, selected the Bosnian.

I think it's fair to say that boxing is one of a number of Olympic events where the qualification criteria is somewhat questionable.
    Its not really. Ward had 2 chances to qualify and failed twice. The 'beaten by better finisher' is only to determine final ranking and those who lost I quarter final to eventual finalists go through this method. I think that's fair enough

The tripartite selection ABSOLUTELY is supposed to go to countries with small overall representatives. There's no way Ireland qualify for it. They were hoping against hope

By all accounts it seems to be fair to say that Joe only had one chance to qualify, at the Worlds last year, as it turned out.

Anyway it's done with now. Will be interesting to get confirmation of who gets the nod for the tripartite/wildcard place. It may not even turn out to be the Bosnian.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Its not really. Ward had 2 chances to qualify and failed twice. The 'beaten by better finisher' is only to determine final ranking and those who lost I quarter final to eventual finalists go through this method. I think that's fair enough

The tripartite selection ABSOLUTELY is supposed to go to countries with small overall representatives. There's no way Ireland qualify for it. They were hoping against hope

Thanks to you all for the detailed explanations during this saga. Terribly disappointing. The other sagas I'm following are Team GB non-selections, especially Liz Blatchford and Aaron Cooke, who it appears is taking his case to The Court of Arbitration of Sport. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18442068. Can anyone please tell me what role the court has, if any, now or historically, in this (or any Olympic selection case), assuming the country has followed its' own selection criteria that led to that athlete's omission? I'm assuming, in Cook's case, The BOA review was watertight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Sorry, I don't have a clue about ranking and Olympics qualifications. Does this mean that Kenny Egan is going?

• Advertisement

Sorry, I don't have a clue about ranking and Olympics qualifications. Does this mean that Kenny Egan is going?

:)

No, when Egan was beaten by Ward in the Irish nationals, that was it for him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement