Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin announce new Megabucks Sponsorship deal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

freddiek wrote: »
    rebel girl,

don't forget all the outside help Dublin gets which other counties don't. How many of these coaches, mentors etc that do the underage work aren't even from Dublin?

A huge amount I'd say..

You mention their hurling success, well the man at the helm was Anthony Daly. certainly not a Dub so do we take it that there wasnt a Dub hurling man capable of managing the county side?
    Normally when something happens ,it is built from the bottom,dublin arent like chelsa or man city,they have been building steadily in fairness.

And while a lot of money they have got in grants,ie fairness they spent it well.

Dublin got in daly,but dnt forget harrington ex sec of the board,a cork man, michael o grady a limerick man,they werent bought In,they were brought to dublin due to work,dublin availed of their talents,theirs a difference.

O Grady reviewed dublin hurling and put a plan in place ten years ago.

Dont forget jerry grogan ,over the schools in Dublin.It started their also.They had 8 dub teams in last year feile.

John murphy their minor captain 20 years ago, introduced development squads in 97,that the likes of o grady,harrington,and kettle ,chairman now can work on.

Lar foley would have done great work too.

Dublin have steadily been on an upward curve,compared to cork we been n a downward spiral,and unless things change fast,will hit rock botton.

Frank can only change the rules so many times eg league but he cant turn back time,and cork are loosing huge ground to others.

Dublin have benfited from other counties expertise,no big deal,but the Will came from the Dubs themselves,and the fiance was their.And unlike cork the Will existed at ground level,board level,coaching and players,and the majority has been done by dublin men.

At board level is where cork are missing a piece of the jigsaw.

Dublin are reaping what they sow in hurling,and like clare deserve immense credit from turning the tables.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I'll also add that the Dublin County Board said years ago "We want our hurling team challenging at the top" Look how they've gone about it. Brilliant work. Are Kerry pushing their hurling team? Mayo? Donegal? Are Kilkenny pushing their football team? No. Dublin GAA should be applauded even if it'll kill some of you to say so.

whilst I disagree with the general tone of the OP and the obvious bias in it, the above needs to be qualified that whilst yes, Dublin GAA did a lot to improve hurling, they were also handed €6m by GAA headquarters. Thats quite a sum of money to make things happen.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

bruschi wrote: »
    whilst I disagree with the general tone of the OP and the obvious bias in it, the above needs to be qualified that whilst yes, Dublin GAA did a lot to improve hurling, they were also handed €6m by GAA headquarters. Thats quite a sum of money to make things happen.

They wouldn't have been handed that money - the process is that you have to spend the money to get it back - if you look at this years financials, Dublin got €1.5million in development from Croke Park - that is what they would have spent the previous year and get reimbursed for.

They are tight with the money, so the Dublin GAA would have had to show exactly where each euro was spent, with accompanying invoices

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

They wouldn't have been handed that money - the process is that you have to spend the money to get it back - if you look at this years financials, Dublin got €1.5million in development from Croke Park - that is what they would have spent the previous year and get reimbursed for.

They are tight with the money, so the Dublin GAA would have had to show exactly where each euro was spent, with accompanying invoices

so they get reimbursed for what they spend is what you are saying? so they spend money, and get it paid back, so it is, from what I can see, being handed to them.

what other county has the same scenario with a guarantee of €1m a year for 6 years?

granted, it was Sean Kellys regime that put this into place, but it is without doubt a massive factor to add into the work that is being done for hurling there, and shouldnt be glossed over as if it is some run of the mill deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Floppybits

so they get reimbursed for what they spend is what you are saying? so they spend money, and get it paid back, so it is, from what I can see, being handed to them.

what other county has the same scenario with a guarantee of €1m a year for 6 years?

granted, it was Sean Kellys regime that put this into place, but it is without doubt a massive factor to add into the work that is being done for hurling there, and shouldnt be glossed over as if it is some run of the mill deal.

Bruschi, Im sure the Dublin County Board didnt just rock up to Croke Park one Monday evening and say listen, give us 6m to spend.

I am sure they sat down and looked at the situation in Dublin and then came up with a business Plan and then went to Croke Park with their plans for the GAA in Dublin and then based on those plans Croke Park made the decisions. There is nothing to stop any other county board doing the exact same thing to get support from Croke Park, ok they may not get 6 million based on the size of the county but I am sure they will get the funds to help them out.

It seems to me the problems in other countys are their ineffective County boards, If I was on one of these county boards I would be knocking on the door of the Dublin County Board to get their advice on the best way to access the funding rather than sitting on my fat arse moaning that Dublin get everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've never glossed over the fact it was a run of the mill deal - I've been highlighting exactly what they have done - have a look at their development website - it gets better every year. That deal has not just helped hurling, but all gaelic sports in Dublin

Handing it to them is not the term I'd use simply because they have to use the money and do the work to get it back. Its not like they are handed a million euro and said go and use it!! There is a huge amount of work that goes into getting the grants and the paperwork for them before you ever actually do the work that the money is paying for

Take out that million Kelly agreed with them, and they get 558,000 a year for development, Derry are next with 119,000 followed by Antrim. Derry got a capital grant of €1.3 million this year, they would have to show exactly where that money is going.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Bruschi, Im sure the Dublin County Board didnt just rock up to Croke Park one Monday evening and say listen, give us 6m to spend.

I am sure they sat down and looked at the situation in Dublin and then came up with a business Plan and then went to Croke Park with their plans for the GAA in Dublin and then based on those plans Croke Park made the decisions. There is nothing to stop any other county board doing the exact same thing to get support from Croke Park, ok they may not get 6 million based on the size of the county but I am sure they will get the funds to help them out.

It seems to me the problems in other countys are their ineffective County boards, If I was on one of these county boards I would be knocking on the door of the Dublin County Board to get their advice on the best way to access the funding rather than sitting on my fat arse moaning that Dublin get everything.

Got it in one - a lot of counties sit back and don't go and ask for this money. There were Irish Sports Council grants, and I know for a fact that Dublin got some and funded development officers out of there, who are actively coaching in the schools now.

I'm green with envy of Dublin, and the way they are put together at the moment - they have three or four coaching books published, coaching seminars and courses run nearly every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

rebel girl,

don't forget all the outside help Dublin gets which other counties don't. How many of these coaches, mentors etc that do the underage work aren't even from Dublin?

A huge amount I'd say..

You mention their hurling success, well the man at the helm was Anthony Daly. certainly not a Dub so do we take it that there wasnt a Dub hurling man capable of managing the county side?
    rebel girl,

Im not buying that the improvements in Dublin hurling came from the expertise of Dublin people...

why this sudden dramatic improvement?

Dublin were always a poor side in my lifetime. They rely so much on outside help I can't remember the last Dublin-born manager they had

Other than Dublin and Kerry, I don't think there is another county football team in the country that hasn't had an outside manager.

Why Offaly's dramatic improvement in the early 80s in both football and hurling?
    Why Clare's dramatic improvement in hurling?

You are sounding like a bitter disappointed fan whose team has lost too many matches. You should reflect on why your county isn't as successful as Kilkenny in hurling or Kerry in football rather than worrying about Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Godge wrote: »
    Other than Dublin and Kerry, I don't think there is another county football team in the country that hasn't had an outside manager.

Why Offaly's dramatic improvement in the early 80s in both football and hurling?
    Why Clare's dramatic improvement in hurling?

You are sounding like a bitter disappointed fan whose team has lost too many matches. You should reflect on why your county isn't as successful as Kilkenny in hurling or Kerry in football rather than worrying about Dublin.

you never heard of Gerry McCaul or more recently Tommy Lyons?

both outsiders..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭tritium

both outsiders..

It may be technically true butbin Lyons case at least its a bit like calling Ronan O'Gara or Jamie Heaslip outsiders on the Irish rugby team. We're not exactly on Mick O'Dwyer/ seanie johnston territory here

But of course you knew that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

The only think about this deal i dislike is that i'd always prefer the sponsors to be from the county in question (or at least Irish) but Dublin Co. board would be fools to look a gift horse in the mouth. fair play to them.

For someone to claim that teams buy their success is pure nonsense. They said the same of Donegal last year. Dublin have always been strong in Football and put together a great development plan for hurling.

Why don't other counties put together their own plans to grow Hurling in the non traditional counties? Don't just bitch about the ones who are doing it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The only think about this deal i dislike is that i'd always prefer the sponsors to be from the county in question (or at least Irish) but Dublin Co. board would be fools to look a gift horse in the mouth. fair play to them.

For someone to claim that teams buy their success is pure nonsense. They said the same of Donegal last year. Dublin have always been strong in Football and put together a great development plan for hurling.

Why don't other counties put together their own plans to grow Hurling in the non traditional counties? Don't just bitch about the ones who are doing it right!

Its easier for the other counties to bitch and moan about Dublin getting everything rather than put a plan together and develop the games and talent in their own counties. Like I said in an earlier post, County boards should be going to the Dublin County board and ask them about how they went about putting their development plans in place plus I reckon it would be a lot cheaper for other counties to put the development plans in place because they wouldnt have as many clubs or the population or the competition from other sports that Dublin have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Floppybits wrote: »
    or the competition from other sports that Dublin have.

While I agree with the rest of your post, I'm not too sure about this. I'm from a pretty rural place and we have a Hurling club, a Rugby club, two Soccer clubs, and a Handball club. I know it's anecdotal and other areas of the country may be wildly different, it's unfair to say there isn't the competition from other sports

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

http://www.aig.ie/the-new-jersey_3192_538500.html

The colour looks very close to corporate AIG 'blue/turquoise' to me, maybe just the photo, let's see it in the daylight to be sure. AIG sponsor Man U , and the All Blacks but you don't see them changing the colour of their kit to AIG blue/turquoise :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Capri wrote: »

The colour looks very close to corporate AIG 'blue/turquoise' to me, maybe just the photo, let's see it in the daylight to be sure. AIG sponsor Man U , and the All Blacks but you don't see them changing the colour of their kit to AIG blue/turquoise :mad:

I thought alright that the blue looked a bit different in the pic, but could not put my finger on it
    well spotted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Legacy Juicy Rust

Capri wrote: »

Not far off the old Arnotts one at all -
    https://twitter.com/BernardOToole/status/400338506046009344/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭El Viz

I watched the video of the launch and it looks very akin to the 70's shade of sky blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

both outsiders..

Gerry McCaul an outsider???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Squareball wrote: »
    Gerry McCaul an outsider???

Ballymun is outside to some lads ;)

I think he now lives in Rush so that probably confused the poor lad too.

• Advertisement

hate to break it to youz but Gerry McCaul was from county Monaghan lads.

"Dublin’s commercial strength just one aspect of GAA inequality"

Dublin’s Paul Flynn celebrates with the Sam Maguire cup in front of Hill 16. The prospect of the capital dominating affairs is a cause of worry for many other counties. Photograph: Cathal Noonan/Inpho

by Sean Moran

Dublin could be forgiven for feeling beleaguered at the moment. This should have less to do with the legitimate comments of GAA director general Páraic Duffy in yesterday’s annual report on the subject of last year’s dismal “biting” controversy but be more concerned with the equally valid observations on the funding inequality between counties.
    Duffy was at pains to point out that he wasn’t taking pot shots at successful counties but just expressing concern about more vulnerable ones. The problem with this is that if you want to address unfairness in any system, you are ultimately going to be seen as unsympathetic to its beneficiaries.
    The director general’s argument was that not alone did he not want to criticise wealthier counties but that they were to be “commended for their drive and initiative”.
    Not all of the arguments on this topic will however be addressed in such measured terms. Like it or not, there appears to be a fearful resentment of Dublin developing and it’s not a matter of prejudice or anti-capital bias even though it often gets expressed as such.

Latent anxiety

Yet in a way the Dublin question is just another manifestation of the unease at the heart of the GAA. Apprehensions about the county dominating the world of football and maybe in time hurling are clearly unreasonable on the basis of two senior All-Irelands in the past 18 years but there is an understandable latent anxiety.
    A county with a disproportionately huge population that gets its act together, starts winning and attracting lucrative sponsorship deals is intimidating because of its potential regardless of what the current situation is – and there’s no point in trying to draw attention to the fact that counties with far smaller populations, like Kerry and Kilkenny, have actually dominated All-Ireland championships to a far greater extent without exciting much else besides admiration.
    Population trends don’t stop there. Football is more national than hurling in its competitive spread but if a county hasn’t 100,000 people it’s unlikely to win an All-Ireland.
    From a broader GAA perspective, what Dublin has done in recent decades is develop the games in a challenging demographic – young, urban and diverse – which previously had demonstrated declining and, in places, zero levels of interest. In doing so it helped to maintain the GAA as a national presence. Efforts so successful that they are now a matter of concern.
    Inequality though is stitched into the fabric of the GAA. Duffy’s report touched on it in a number of areas. He urged realism in attitudes towards championships “based on counties, whose boundaries do not, and will never, change, so surely we cannot be surprised that some teams will usually beat others on account of their greater playing population and superior resources.”
    In relation to the under-achievement of Antrim’s hurlers compared to the county’s club teams, he echoed Dónal Óg Cusack’s suggestion of an Ulster team to contest the All-Ireland championship.
    The argument about financial resources was only one of a number of acknowledgements that the county system has led to inequality and dysfunctional competitions.
    Asked to comment on this, Duffy’s reply was fatalistic.
    “I think the allocation of resources is clearly unequal and needs to be addressed. The structure may be creaking but that’s the structure we have to stay with. I made one exception and floated the idea of Dónal Óg Cusack in terms of Ulster hurling but that’s exceptional.

Once in a lifetime

“By and large I think we stick with the county system that underpins the GAA – club and county. I wouldn’t move away from that. As I said, some of those small counties from time to time – maybe once in a lifetime – will defy all of the figures and all of the logic.”
    That’s the abiding consolation. Resources may be vastly disparate and all of those counties who have never won All-Irelands may never do so but they can dream of one day in the sun.
    It’s right that the GAA should consider a little redistributive enforcement but there are no realistic long-term remedies for a system that contains Leitrim and Dublin on theoretically equal terms.
    Yet the struggling counties don’t want graded competitions and few of their players even want to slip off and join someone else with better prospects of success.
    Maybe Dublin will go on to realise all of the fears that currently exist but the county are a long way from doing so at present and it will take even longer before anyone can say with certainty that what is happening is anything other than the latest manifestation of dysfunction in a crazy structure that has somehow survived and thrived for 130 years"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Still beating that drum eh. This assumption that Dublin are going to dominate for the rest of the decade is a bit ott, yes they have the best squad in the country but they are beatable and Tyrone, cork, Kerry, Donegal, Mayo and others will all be desperate to knock them off their perch in the coming years. Any of the above can beat Dublin on their day and great teams come and go. Total non issue IMO, maybe after they've won 5-6 in a row people might start to listen (no way that's going to happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's gas. In the 28 years between our winning Sam in 1983 and winning it back in 2011, we won Sam once. One time. Uno. Once. During that time, we were the biggest county population wise and sponsorshipwise, just as we are now. Yet no one gave a damm about any of that, as we weren't winning Sam. Now that we have won him twice in three years, everyone is coming out of the wood work to piss and moan about how unfair it all is. So excuse me Mr Duffy, with all due respect to your exalted high office, I'll be taking your comments with a pinch of salt.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-faces-cuts-as-gaa-plans-big-financial-revamp-30683408.html

bumped this thread when i came across Breheny's new article. Any moves to reduce the massive advantages enjoyed by Dublin is good news.

Dublin faces cuts as GAA plans big financial revamp

Capital losses for the Blues in coaching and games development with several smaller counties to be the winners in new equalisation policy

Dublin faces a cutback in grant aid from central funds as part of a major GAA plan to level the financial playing field across the country.

While no specific figure has been mentioned, there's a clear recommendation from the Association's financial planners to "reduce the funding to Dublin over time in the interests of equalisation."

It comes as part of a wide-ranging review of central funding to counties, undertaken by the GAA's National Financial Management Committee (NFMC) at the behest of director-general Paraic Duffy.

Among the others recommendations are:

1 - Allocation of higher grants to smaller counties.

2 - Abolishing the annual €400,000 hurley and helmet subsidy.

3 - Adjusting the income share-out from the Allianz Leagues and providing an incentive for counties to market their 'home' games.

4 - Formally identifying what constitutes a 'smaller' county for funding purposes.

5 - Reviewing the charge for season tickets and their availability so as to protect league income.

The proposal to cut Dublin's allocation for coaching and games development will prove contentious in the capital but is likely to be welcomed elsewhere.

There has been complaints from some counties in recent times that Dublin's capacity to line up major sponsorship deals gives them a big financial advantage over most of their rivals.

Dublin's success in football and hurling has widened their appeal in the corporate world, further increasing their ability to land big sponsorships at a time when smaller counties, in particular, are finding it difficult to attract substantial backers.

That, in turn, has led to claims that Dublin are flying on a much higher financial orbit than most of the other counties.

Dublin's most recent coaching/games development grant was just over €1.5 million, equating to 25pc of the total budget for all 32 counties. It was more than six times higher than second-placed Cork, who received €224,000.

Dublin's total was just under the entire allocation for the other 11 Leinster counties. However, Dublin are catering for a population of 1.3 million, which is higher than the rest of Leinster combined.

The NFMC's report notes that GAA funding is supplemented by Irish Sports Council grants, based on the numbers participating in various sports.

"Historically, Dublin received a specific grant from the Irish Sports Council. This is no longer the situation but the coaches are in place and continue to be funded. Coaches are employed, based on the need as identified by the provincial council in conjunction with the National Coaching & Games Committee.

"In the interests of equalisation and of achieving a better funding distribution balance, it is proposed to reduce the funding allocation to Dublin over time.

"This can only be done on a phased basis and, at the same time, the participation numbers need to be factored in, as we cannot withdraw funding from areas that may impact on Irish Sports Council funding," states the report.

Dublin will be deeply unhappy at any proposal that involves less funding at a time when the city continues to expand, thus adding to the challenges facing existing GAA clubs, some of whom haven't got the facilities to deal with soaring numbers. Setting up new clubs is not a feasible option in many areas either, since there's no available land for pitches.

Besides, establishing a new club is a costly operation.

Deciding on what constitutes a 'smaller county' for funding purposes presented a challenge but the NMFC have decided on a number of criteria.

The first requirement is for a population of less than 100,000, with due recognition given to Ulster counties where, the NMFC notes, "the full population will not be supporting Gaelic Games."

However, Division 1 and 2 counties will not be considered for extra-grant aid.

Reserves

The same will apply to counties with solid financial reserves. Counties with fewer than 35 clubs would classify as weaker counties, although quite where that leaves Roscommon is a moot point. They have 32 clubs but will be in Division 2 of the National Football League next year.

The €400,000 per annum hurley and helmet subsidy is no longer seen as necessary; instead the money will be allocated to smaller counties.

The last pay-out under this scheme ranged from €36,000 for Cork to €6,000 each for Cavan, Fermanagh, Leitrim, Longford, Monaghan and Tyrone.

Other payments included sums of between €30,400 and €20,800 going to Dublin, Kilkenny, Galway, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford and Wexford.

Distribution of National League money will continue in much the same format as heretofore but a basic minimum return will apply for each county. It's also proposed to provide a marketing budget to counties to promote their 'home' games.

That has been a contentious issue for many years, with counties arguing that they should be supported in their marketing of League games and allowed to retain a higher percentage of the gate money.

In order to improve cash flows to county boards, the distribution of an annual €175,000 grant will be paid on a staggered basis, starting in January and finishing in October.

However, that's dependent on strict adherence to various requirements, including the provision of up-to-date accounts throughout the year, starting in January and ending in October.

Failure to meet the deadlines will result in the loss of €5,000.

hate to break it to youz but Gerry McCaul was from county Monaghan lads.
    His daddy was

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-faces-cuts-as-gaa-plans-big-financial-revamp-30683408.html

bumped this thread when i came across Breheny's new article. Any moves to reduce the massive advantages enjoyed by Dublin is good news.
    <snip>
    was going to mention that article, but indeed its no harm.
    If I understand it this is games development, so coaching and whatnot.

The issue of new clubs in new areas needing facilities in Dublin (and other urban areas) hopefully wont get affected by any tweaking of the funding distributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

was going to mention that article, but indeed its no harm.
    If I understand it this is games development, so coaching and whatnot.

The issue of new clubs in new areas needing facilities in Dublin (and other urban areas) hopefully wont get affected by any tweaking of the funding distributions.

The only reason the article was posted was to have a go at Dublin, it's the poster in questions MO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Some very good points made here apart from Freddick who posts are simply pathetic.

Dublin got a great deal with AIG and it is badly needed. I know this from being involved with the club scene in Dublin all my life. The amount of work being put in at underage level has to be seen to be believed, no one can do it justice here really. I am from a rural club and we think we have it tough but I work with a few lads from Dublin city clubs and the problems they have are on a different level and they need all the funding help they can get. In some areas of Dublin where unemployment is very high the G.A.A is all the lifeline of the community and in many cases holding them together as some areas have zero facilities, serious crime and drug problems. They have to use pitchs not fit for purpose and no dressing rooms. They have no means of fundraising and need help with hurleys and helmets and equipment. It would be disgraceful if funding to these clubs were cut. This problem is only getting worse.

There are lots of outside people helping with various sections of the GAA all over Ireland. The GAA is the lifeline for a lot of these people who have had to move for work. They can go down the road be welcomed into a club and feel part of a community. To me this is vital part of Irish life.

The level of begrudgery from some quarters here is unbelievable towards what Dublin has achieved. I have been involved on the outside of a few development squads and see what work is being done and its unreal the time and effort people are giving. There is no real reason why a number of other counties cant do the same but the inhouse fighting and back stabbing is unreal. Look at the mess Mayo have had in recent weeks, and most counties have have had crap at some stage to deal with. Iv seen lads at meetings in Dublin and in my club take stripes off each other but still working together. That is a huge part of the success Dublin have had. People will fight for what they believe is right and then move on, yes there have been a few internal rows that dragged on but by and large nothing like yarns Iv heard from other counties. Dublin have tried many things over the years to improve juvenile games and invested heavily in coaching. They have as has been pointed out been lucky to have Mick O'Grady, Humphrey Kelliher, Gerry Harrington work in Dublin, raise their families here, Gerry's son Dermot played senior football for Dublin. The GAA was their connection with home. I heard Michael O'Grady talk of coaching workshops 30 years ago and it was laughed. Brendan Harpur from Tyrone running courses with Brian Talty back in 1983/4. Quite a few who done that course are still involved with teams.
    My own club have set standards on paper if you want to coach a team. You must do GAA coaching course at minimum every 2 years, child protection etc and you will get support from the club also. Were put in place various workshops a few times a year so mentors parents and players know we are serious about it and they buy into it. Dublin do the same just on a bigger scale

Dublin will get stronger but it will take another few years and then we will have the calls for split Dublin just like we have with Kerry for football and Kilkenny and Cork for hurling.

I would imagine when AIG or a big company like them come in and see what Andy Kettle, John Costello and various committees are doing in Dublin and the contribution they make to make Dublin a top sporting brand and all round better place it is good business to be involved.

Dublin needs an increase in funding and some other counties need to get up of their arse and put in the work instead of moaning about Dublin it would serve them better.Have proper juvenile leagues, set standards for coachs, run their club games properly and they will in time improve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That's a really, really great post LeoB.

Advertisement