Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Admisson is €10 adults €5OAP and students.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Slobs

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    Admisson is €10 adults €5OAP and students.

A 50 % Reduction so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Great call by county board to be fair. They should make it a fiver into the Park the following day for the county semi final between Castletown and Gusserane. Sure they've been granted an unexpected windfall and no need to charge extortinate prices here on in.

Great call by county board to be fair. They should make it a fiver into the Park the following day for the county semi final between Castletown and Gusserane. Sure they've been granted an unexpected windfall and no need to charge extortinate prices here on in.

Windfall ?

Considering the financial restraints and the debt burden they have it more like Financial Relief.

The current board no matter what we might think sometimes have got a handle on finances and the ferns legacy debt.

We operate two senior squads on a budget less than some of our neighbours budget for one code

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Taghmon and g/barntown re fixture tonite in bellfield, think I might just pop up there and see what it's like.

EDIT: 3.10 - 1-14 G/b won by 2 points, despite being 8 points up with about 7-8 mins to go. Their 3 goals made the difference, but it was a very good Taghmon team, who imo played the better football and have produced a few nice young footballers, they won't be intermediate for too long with the way they are going. J lacey played well for glynn at c/b and M o Regan kicked some great scores for them.
    I still fancy St james to win it, but G/b have a knack of scoring goals which might just pinch it for them on sunday. Should be a good enough game, might just get in early to see it, and get value for my tenner.

• Advertisement

Saturday 25th Oct 2014
    Competition Round Time Venue Team 1 Score Score Team 2

JUNBHURC Final 1 00 PM Bellefield Oylegate-Glenbrien --- --- Kilmore OYLEGATE TO WIN
    JUNBFBALL Final 2 45 PM Bellefield Ballyhogue --- --- St Martin's GAA Club ST MARTINS TO WIN

Sunday 26th Oct 2014
    Competition Round Time Venue Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Referee
    LEINTFBGRA Final 1 00 PM Wexford Park St James' --- --- Glynn-Barntown TBC ST JAMES AT LAST ??
    Club IHC Round 1 2 30 PM Trim Kiltale --- --- Shamrocks GAA Club Danny Harrington SHAMROCKS ALTHOUGH MEATH CHAMPIONS NEVER A PUSH OVER

Club JHC Round 1 2 30 PM St. Patricks Park Enniscorthy Crossabeg-Ballymurn --- --- Park Ratheniska Raymond Byrne

CROSSABEG IF THEY PRODUCE CO FINAL FORM

Club JFC Round 1 2 45 PM Portlaoise Courtwood --- --- St Mary's Maudlintown Chris Dwyer

HAVE NO IDEA Fintans went to leinster final in this grade two years ago

PETSHCHGRA Final Replay 3 00 PM Wexford Park St Anne's Rathangan --- --- Shelmaliers James Owens

I just dont know . Nerves might not be a big a factor this time Maybe Shels

Monday 27th Oct 2014
    Competition Round Time Venue Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Referee
    TDSSFGRPA Semi-Final 2 00 PM Wexford Park Gusserane-O`Rahilly's --- --- Castletown Brendan Martin

Gusserane in a close encounter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Looking at the senior hurling final, and being an outsider (see name!), have either The Shels or Anne's been knocking on Oulart's door over the last few years? When was the last time either side did anything in Wexford hurling, at senior level?

Shels have dominated Underage for the last seven or eight years especilly at Minor up to three years ago . Every one was wondering when they would come at senior level.
    Looking at their squad they are packed with players in their Mid twenty's . They had the same underage football domination and the county awaits that being turned into senior success.
    Senior success as said a few posts back is distant history now

Annes under age success was built on two teams centered around their two county men O Keefe and Mc Govern aged 22 and 23 plus players like Rochford and a few others allied to some of their older men from their 2000 success like Red Barry and Doc O Connor etc.
    They were senior football winners two years ago

Both clubs have being hovering around last eight for the past few years.

In other words their appearance in a final is not a complete surprise.

Junior Football replay tomorrow Rathgarogue Cushinstown V Crossabeg Ballymurn

Will take Cushinstown to take the title if they pick their best team to start, Although that said ballymurn are not much better with their selections . Club politics I guess.

Leinster Club a debut for the Shelmaliers V Offaly side Kilcormack / Killoughy , Not many giving the Shels a chance here and depending on how celebrations went it will be a tough one for them.

Clubs have being requested to submit names of players interested in playing with county senior team.

U21 Football championship started last weekend and the premier grade starts this weekend There is one juicy fixture Fethard and Gusserane.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

The open weekend for the senior football will struggle to throw up any players not already on the radar I would imagine. It is a box ticking exercise to prevent clubs claiming that they are ignored by selectors.

• Advertisement

I don't imagine that David Power has any idea of what the underling football talent pool is.

With most club action over apart from the senior semifinal and the u21 championship.

Its the only opportunity he will have.

also some of the players he will see in club fare will not be available to him as they are hurling focused.

I would imagine that he is going to rely on his selectors. I don't know who they are but I hear the names of one or two fairly recent ex players mentioned and in fairness they would be in the know. I have seen these type of trials done under Jason Ryan, Pat Roe and Paul Bealin and little to no players coming through them. In an ideal world they would throw up unheralded talent but it is extremely unlikely. He will probably start training with up to 45 players so the chances of anybody outside that number being good enough is slim.

Transfer Gossip in Wexford

Andrew Shore (former Davidstown player) recently transferred to a club in the British midlands and is said to be joining the Rapparees in the new year.

David Dunne of Davidstown looking to transfer to Rapparees

James White of Oylegate also speculated to heading the Rapps way

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

The Slobs wrote: »
    Transfer Gossip in Wexford

Andrew Shore (former Davidstown player) recently transferred to a club in the British midlands and is said to be joining the Rapparees in the new year.

David Dunne of Davidstown looking to transfer to Rapparees

James White of Oylegate also speculated to heading the Rapps way

Shore was with Parnells in Dublin for the last couple of years wasnt he? A shame for Davidstown that they are losing players like this. Its not the first time, and it seems it wont be the last. I think their catchement area is probably too close to the town in that it can be seen to overlap, and they are losing out big time.

I think St Annes will win the semi final sunday. Shels will be wrecked after all the hurling the past 3 weeks (and the couple of pints in between games) and cant have done much football. Annes will have revenge on their minds too, and I'd expect them, to use an oft used cliche, want it more.

Minor final should be good. Unbeaten Fethard against Glynn. Same match up as U16, when Fethard were also unbeaten going into the final but Glynn completely outplayed them and won easily enough.

Shore and Dunne heading to the Rapps is no shock with the state davidstown are in. Relegated again in the hurling. These lads were a very proud and respected intermediate team about 13 or 14 years ago and have been in slow and steady decline since.

James White is a puzzler to me though. Oylegate have a serious chance in intermediate any given year. They have two outstanding forwards and a solid unit all over the field. They were beaten by one point in a cracker of a quarter final this year by Craanford who drew with the duffry in a semi and duffry then drew the final. Unless this guy wants to give senior football a crack with starlights, something he would never get the chance to do with Oylegate. Serious blow for Oylegate if true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Is the pitch in Wexford Park still playable for the matches tomorrow with all the rain that has fallen in the last few days?

The Wexford Park pitch will not be a problem .

Wexford park is the opposite to your concerns almost. Too sandy. It is a very dead pitch.
    How does everybody see the football final going? I have to say that I fancy Gusserane given that the Annes will be without Liam Og McGovern. This will be a very very tight affair though.

St Annes won a tight co final as Gusseranes long wait for a title will extend to forty years next year. No one will begrudge the Annes men as their golden veterans supplemented by their younger players won another title.

U21 football is down to semi final stage this week end with Fethard V St Martins and Shelmaliers V Sarsfield

The expected final is Fethard V Shels although Martins who are seeking a U21 double and a battling sarsfields will not be giving up on an upset.

The poor record of Wexford clubs in Leinster competition continued as St James bowed out of Leinster Intermediate club football when well beaten by the meath reps . Inter county captain Graham Molloy did not play for the Jimmes and would have being a huge loss.

Wexford's last club in Leinster are Crossabeg Ballymurn in the junior hurling and will be up against it in the form of Bennetsbridge of Kilkenny who seek a return to the glory days of the their past. The overthewater men have overcome the loss of several players to long term injury to win the wexford title as well as the Junior football but the Kilkenny men will be hot favourites to continue their counties domination of this grade.

Tipperarys David Power the new football manager as put his selectors in place . St Martins Mick Walsh and Dublin native but unattached John Power. Matty Forde is to be the forwards coach.

The 2014 Inter Hurling are to be reappointed for 2015 Lets hope they might pick a few players under 30 next year.

In the premier U21 Football final Shelmaliers and Fethard played out an exciting draw

Shels grabbed a last minute draw deep into injury time having lead by seven points at one stage. A shamozzle caused a lapse in concentration and they were fortunate at the end to come back.

Crossabeg Ballymurn's never ending season continued when they won the Roinn 1 Wexford district final with a win over St Annes and will now play a fancied Gorey side in the semi-final with Ballyhogue already in the final.

Last weeks leinster Club game between Crossabeg and Bennetsbridge of Kilkenny showed up the gulf in standards in club hurling in the respective counties even if Crossabeg could site a long injury list.

• Advertisement

Wexford hurlers have two challenge games over the weekend

Saturday V limerick at a Tipperary Venue

Sunday V Waterford at Walsh Park 2PM

Any word on how the Limerick game went? Any new faces in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Any word on how the Limerick game went? Any new faces in?

Wexford lost by around six points or so
    Expiermental teams apparently both sides

Won V Waterford 1--20 to 0-20

Breen, Moore, O Hanlon, Conroy
    Redmond, Foley, Chin
    O Keefe, Kehoe
    Kelly Tompkins, Byrne
    Foley, Guiney,Doran
    Subs Rochford, Dunne , OConnor , Shaughnessy , O Gorman. Devitt all used

Ollie o Leary went in goal for waterford in second half when their goalie was red carded for words unbecoming a gentleman to the umpire who turned out to be a relation of the Kilkenny Ref.

Wexford start 2015 with a home game for the senior footballers when they take on DIT in the Bord Na Mona O’Byrne Cup on Sunday at 2pm in Gorey.

V DIT Snip

Versus DIT 04 01 2015

-

The Slobs wrote: »
    Wexford start 2015 with a home game for the senior footballers when they take on DIT in the Bord Na Mona O’Byrne Cup on Sunday at 2pm in Gorey.

V DIT Snip

Versus DIT 04 01 2015

-

I posted the following on another website:

Anyone in Gorey? Very enjoyable game for this time of the year, and only for a bit of "cuteness" (ie pulling the DIT player down before he gave the ball across for Brogan's goal) it would have represented a good day's work for the lads. The lengthy delay due to what looked like Cillian Butler dislocating his shoulder halted a brief moment of momentum Wexford had built up before then to trail by 0-10 to 0-8, but they really came good in the designated injury time to lead by 0-14 to 0-12, with Brosnan lofting over some ridiculous scores. I had timed six minutes of delay for that Butler injury, yet Brogan's goal came in the 78th minute, and there was further two minutes played after that. Ref must have forgotten his stop watch!

Paddy Byrne was our stand out performer all afternoon, and kicked four points, three of which from the Anthony Tohill playbook. Brosnan really stood up to the plate in the second half (near unrecognisable without the blonde hair), while Furlong was his usual tigerish self, and Breen made a welcome return with a solid display at full back. Of the new players, Declan Murphy showed up very well both as an attacking outlet (kicked three points from play), and in his tracking back. However, he was kind of forced into covering Rossiter's man, as while he was involved in a few Wexford attacks and kicked a point himself, he wasn't so keen at his defensive responsibilties. Jim White put in a decent shift in midfield and played an equisite ball to Declan Murphy in the first half which we were unlucky not to score from. Lyng had his quiestest outing in a long time and was taken off in the third quarter, and it wasn't Tubritt's day (off at half-time). O'Grady, Graham Carty and Holmes all had a positive influence up front when introduced, and O'Grady was unlucky not to find the net.

But it was the same old failings that has dogged Wexford over the last few years that cost them again today. Namely poor selection. Kicked a host of poor wides and converted ZERO out of five genuine scoring chances (and could have taken a point in a couple of them), and a few handling errors that lead to technical fouls which DIT converted. Couple of players still floating around that are there on repuation alone (Wadding and Tierney two anyway) but's that's for another day. It's too early to judge and today's line-up was of the experimental variety, but bearing in mind the transition in the squad, and the past pedigree of David Power, I'd be hopeful we'll exceed expectations in some capacity in the coming year.

Oh and come on back to the football Daithi. You and Paddy could be lethal in the middle together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I posted the following on another website:

Anyone in Gorey? Very enjoyable game for this time of the year, and only for a bit of "cuteness" (ie pulling the DIT player down before he gave the ball across for Brogan's goal) it would have represented a good day's work for the lads. The lengthy delay due to what looked like Cillian Butler dislocating his shoulder halted a brief moment of momentum Wexford had built up before then to trail by 0-10 to 0-8, but they really came good in the designated injury time to lead by 0-14 to 0-12, with Brosnan lofting over some ridiculous scores. I had timed six minutes of delay for that Butler injury, yet Brogan's goal came in the 78th minute, and there was further two minutes played after that. Ref must have forgotten his stop watch!

Paddy Byrne was our stand out performer all afternoon, and kicked four points, three of which from the Anthony Tohill playbook. Brosnan really stood up to the plate in the second half (near unrecognisable without the blonde hair), while Furlong was his usual tigerish self, and Breen made a welcome return with a solid display at full back. Of the new players, Declan Murphy showed up very well both as an attacking outlet (kicked three points from play), and in his tracking back. However, he was kind of forced into covering Rossiter's man, as while he was involved in a few Wexford attacks and kicked a point himself, he wasn't so keen at his defensive responsibilties. Jim White put in a decent shift in midfield and played an equisite ball to Declan Murphy in the first half which we were unlucky not to score from. Lyng had his quiestest outing in a long time and was taken off in the third quarter, and it wasn't Tubritt's day (off at half-time). O'Grady, Graham Carty and Holmes all had a positive influence up front when introduced, and O'Grady was unlucky not to find the net.

But it was the same old failings that has dogged Wexford over the last few years that cost them again today. Namely poor selection. Kicked a host of poor wides and converted ZERO out of five genuine scoring chances (and could have taken a point in a couple of them), and a few handling errors that lead to technical fouls which DIT converted. Couple of players still floating around that are there on repuation alone (Wadding and Tierney two anyway) but's that's for another day. It's too early to judge and today's line-up was of the experimental variety, but bearing in mind the transition in the squad, and the past pedigree of David Power, I'd be hopeful we'll exceed expectations in some capacity in the coming year.

Oh and come on back to the football Daithi. You and Paddy could be lethal in the middle together.

Was Kieran Butler that went down, was his elbow he dislocated he'll be a loss!

Depp wrote: »
    Was Kieran Butler that went down, was his elbow he dislocated he'll be a loss!

Killian Butler of course. My mistake. Happened right in front of me. Looked gruesome. Looked to have potential in the time he was on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Killian Butler of course. My mistake. Happened right in front of me. Looked gruesome. Looked to have potential in the time he was on the field.

word is he dislocated his elbow.....

nice report though, it was a good old bit of winter football.

Prob see a near different team out Wed night i reckon

• Advertisement

First win for David Power but a mixed bag overall against Carlow IT in Enniscorthy tonight. Played with a strong wind blowing into the dressing room end net and raced 1-4 to no score ahead in the opening quarter, with last year's county minor dual player Niall Hughes (who impressed throughout) kicking two fine points, and another debutant Dermot Flood kicking 1-1. Had a lot of pace on the attack and when we pushed forward from the back, but our shooting once again let us down, while Brendan Murphy was like a magnet in the middle from Carlow IT, and must surely rank as one of the top midfielders in Leinster. Both Colm Kehoe and Graham Carty worked hard but couldn't compete with Murphy in the middle, and it took Paddy Byrne coming on in the second half for him to endure any hardship.

Started the second half quietly, before racing six ahead, but went back into our shells again as Carlow IT pegged back a couple of scores. Shane Roche pulled off a couple of excellent saves in the second half as Carlow IT rallied, and it was pleasing that Wexford kept their goal-line intact after their late concession of a goal the last day. James Breen played very well full back again, and his current form may move Graham Molloy out to centre-back which will sort out that problem area. Kevin Rowe was eager and won a sizeable chunk of the ball kicked into him, and both Kevin O'Connor and Dermot Flood showed good trickery and potential. Simon Donohue and Declan Murphy were both introduced in the second half and kicked 0-3 between them.

Overall, there is plenty of potential to work with there already, but they'll have to prolong their periods of dominance and be more clinical in their scoring chances (I've full faith that Matty's influence will come to bear in that regard eventually). It's a pity that DIT beat Wicklow, as a win for the Garden County would have set up an intriguing shoot-out with them on Sunday. Now it's a glorified practise match, but one David Power will be looking to win to build up a bit of momentum, and blood the young fellahs, ahead of what looks like a difficult start to the Division Three campaign.

Advertisement