Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course Books Wanted / For Sale

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Hi

Starting as a newbie first year in a few weeks in NUIM

Doing an Arts Degree, so I'm looking for books for Psychology, Computer Science and Maths.

PM me if you have books for these courses for sale at reasonable rates, and I'll be around all of orientation week to buy them if the case should lend itself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I'm starting now in Sept, doing History, German and Maths...how many of the books do you reckon are necessary? And which ones could I get out of the library and all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alpha2010

amyputz wrote: »
    I'm starting now in Sept, doing History, German and Maths...how many of the books do you reckon are necessary? And which ones could I get out of the library and all...

when your lecturer recommends a certain book, go get it straight after. I wouldn't bother with the library, they do have like 3 copies and there never available.. I don't know about your other subjects but for History, there are a lot of little books you have to get to help you with your essays in your tutorials, you will find all this out in the upcoming weeks

there like only 10 euro or so but there are a few to get.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

Hi alpha2010, am going into second year history and would be interested in buying Lieutenant Nun, and both history of the British Isles books. I am on hols at the moment and wont be back til friday. I live in Celbridge so if you are close I can meet you to have a look at them.

I sent you a PM :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Rafcam

Yikes! I didn't realise the books would be so expensive!
    I'm doing Music Technology with Geography and Maths hopefully.

Do we find out when we start what books we need or is there somewhere online that we can check?
    Also do we need to own all the books? Or can we borrow from the library?

Rafcam wrote: »
    Yikes! I didn't realise the books would be so expensive!
    I'm doing Music Technology with Geography and Maths hopefully.

Do we find out when we start what books we need or is there somewhere online that we can check?
    Also do we need to own all the books? Or can we borrow from the library?

yeah I know, my biggest regret was buying my first year books brand new, they cost me 100 euro for just 2 geog books :(.
    Some departments already have a list of books that you can purchase, but just wait until you attend your lectures and find out what books that the lecturer recommends.. Emm you might be able to get some of the books in the library but as I said before, they do be quite limited. Your lecturer will explain all this to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Rafcam

alpha2010 wrote: »
    yeah I know, my biggest regret was buying my first year books brand new, they cost me 100 euro for just 2 geog books :(.
    Some departments already have a list of books that you can purchase, but just wait until you attend your lectures and find out what books that the lecturer recommends.. Emm you might be able to get some of the books in the library but as I said before, they do be quite limited. Your lecturer will explain all this to you :)

Woah that's loads! Ah okay thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

hi boardsies, wondering if anyone knows a recent graduate of maynooth post primary, I can't find a forum for it. I'm looking to buy the leaving cert books for the school.. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    the books i'm looking for are;
    Fiuntas
    english dictionary collins gem
    discovering maths 3
    todays world book1
    leaving cert biology
    ecoutez bien/ verb tables/ collins gem dictionary
    construction studies today

thank you in advance for any help!!!!!:):):)

• Advertisement

Am looking to buy these books, must be in good condition

William Trevor, ‘The Ballroom of Romance’ (1969)
    Patrick Mc Cabe, The Butcher Boy (1991)
    Breakfast on Pluto (1999)
    Jimmy Murphy, Kings of the Kilburn High (Oberon, 2001)
    Alice McDermott, Charming Billy (1997)
    Eugene O’Brien, Eden (2005)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭itchyblood

YO, people who did Film/Cinema.
    Anyone have this book?

Maltby, Richard. Hollywood Cinema. Malden, MA.: Blackwell, 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

itchyblood wrote: »
    YO, people who did Film/Cinema.
    Anyone have this book?

Maltby, Richard. Hollywood Cinema. Malden, MA.: Blackwell, 2003.

If that's for EN356 , most of that is on google books. He'll set you reading for every lecture from it, so if you're into buying the massive, heavy books, go ahead but the bits you need are on google books. It's really heavy and quite expensive, just a heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭itchyblood

If that's for EN356 , most of that is on google books. He'll set you reading for every lecture from it, so if you're into buying the massive, heavy books, go ahead but the bits you need are on google books. It's really heavy and quite expensive, just a heads up.

Haha yeah, cheers. I saw it was on Google Books but I thought if it was cheap I might get one to have. I'm not bothered now.

Also looking for this book
    Merry Wiesner Hanks, Early Modern Europe, 1450 - 1789
    (Cambridge, 2006)

louliewan wrote: »
    Also looking for this book
    Merry Wiesner Hanks, Early Modern Europe, 1450 - 1789
    (Cambridge, 2006)

Hey I'm selling that book, its on my list :) in perfect condition like the others :)

Darn! I never even noticed! Can I get it from you when we are back on the 20th? The others were perfect, a bargin ;).

louliewan wrote: »
    Darn! I never even noticed! Can I get it from you when we are back on the 20th? The others were perfect, a bargin ;).

aww yeah sure no problem, sure I have your number so Ill give you a text next Sunday and figure out when we can meet up on the 20th :)

That would be great, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dustfree

this is for Alpha2010, sorry....Hi there, I am interested in Wisdom Sits In Places, I am in Maynooth tomorrow so could meet up and buy from you?:)

• Advertisement

Geography
    1st & 2nd Year Books

•Introduction to Physical Geography 2nd edition & Human Geography 3rd edition - €50 (can be sold separately for €25 each)

•An Introduction to Economic Geography, Globalisation, Uneven Development and Place - €17

History
    1st & 2nd Year Books

•Diaries of Ireland: An Anthology - €7

•Erasmus: Praise of Folly - €6

•Niccolo Machiavelli: The Prince - €3

•Memoir of a Basque: Lieutenant Nun - €10

•Early Modern Europe, 1450 – 1789 - €14

•Howard Zinn: A People’s History Of The United States 1491 – Present €5

A History of the Modern British Isles 1529 – 1603: The Two Kingdoms €15

•A History of the Modern British Isles 1603-1707: The Double Crown - €17

•France since 1945 Robert Gildea - €5

Anthropology
    1st Year Books

• Food and Culture: A Reader 1st Edition - €18

Wisdom Sits In Places - €8

All these books are in perfect condition; no pages torn out; nothing wrote on, could pass for new.

dustfree wrote: »
    this is for Alpha2010, sorry....Hi there, I am interested in Wisdom Sits In Places, I am in Maynooth tomorrow so could meet up and buy from you?:)

Hey sorry dustfree, I just got it sold yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

Does anyone know is there anywhere on campus to sell books back? All of mine were bought in the bookshop. They've been sitting round the house for about a year now, and to be honest, I'm sick of looking at them!

ComaWhite wrote: »
    Does anyone know is there anywhere on campus to sell books back? All of mine were bought in the bookshop. They've been sitting round the house for about a year now, and to be honest, I'm sick of looking at them!

give them to the Student Union and they sell them on your behalf, they don't take any money from you, and when someone buys one of your books, the student union let you know and you get the money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jellybaby1992

Just started in Social Science and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the names of any of the books I need. I am also doing History :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dustfree

no worries, alpha 2010, cu on campus:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

Just started in Social Science and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the names of any of the books I need. I am also doing History :)

i did this course, graduated on friday!
    i cant really remember first year books, i sold them on but i do know the john curry book comes in handy for all essays! cant remember the name of it, have it in my room somewhere i think, its green! all the UCD books (suzanne quinn et al) are great too.

the internet is really handy for this course because there are so many gov documents and reports, and there are always new publications regarding policies so loads of books arent always needed!

send me a pm if u have any questions about the course or books for SocPol or Soc (i have a few lying around, dunno what ones, so if u let me know what you're looking for il see if i have them!) best of luck! its a good course!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

History
    1st & 2nd Year Books

•Niccolo Machiavelli: The Prince - €3

any chance you still have this alpha? :)

any chance you still have this alpha? :)

yeah I have that one if your interested :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

yeah I have that one if your interested :)

Yes please! :)
    You don't have or know anyone else who would have any of the other books for the core history modules and History of Medicine and The Age of the Baroque as well!

Advertisement