Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NFL regulalr season game in Croke Park ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Up against other cities and tbh with the game in Wembley im sure they would problably want to extend the reach further East like maybe have a game in Germany!

More likely to get a Steelers pre-season game?

Teams complain about the 5 hour time difference to London as it is. Germany would add another hour on so that's one advantage we have over the continent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Teams complain about the 5 hour time difference to London as it is. Germany would add another hour on so that's one advantage we have over the continent

although David Cameron has stated that he wants to change the UK'S timezone to match CET as a 2 year temporary measure to see how it works and if it were to happen the feeling is Ireland would follow suit.

/stops bringing politics into this :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

There's more than 5 hours time difference between London and, say, New Orleans who played a home game there...

The big advantage we have is that we're English speaking. Goodell mentioned that 2012 might see a 2nd game but it wouldn't be London due to the Olympics.

Germany, of course, is a leding contendor due to its support of NFL Europe, magnificent stadiums and all round top class infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

IF Steelers player it will be an away game and one that is out of the division so that only leaves four potential team they can play which would be tricky.

IF Steelers player it will be an away game and one that is out of the division so that only leaves four potential team they can play which would be tricky.

The steelers 2013 out of division away opponents are:

Patriots
    Jets
    Packers
    Vikings
    Their matching team in the AFC West

Any of them likely to give up a home game?

• Advertisement

Patriots
    Jets
    Packers
    Vikings

Maybe the Vikings would be most likely. I think there is zero chance the other 3 give up a home game to the Steelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Patriots
    Jets
    Packers
    Vikings

The AFC west teams can't sell tickets, they could give up a home game, though it wouldn't surprise me if the Steelers gave one up.

Maybe not for Dublin, but every NFL team has agreed to give up a home game under the International series banner.

How soon would it have to be finalised? Their AFC West opponent won't be known until the end of the 2012 season but would one of them give up a game if they happened to be the team?

It's probably too awkward so it'd have to be a team they definitely know they're playing

Dodge wrote: »
    Maybe not for Dublin, but every NFL team has agreed to give up a home game under the International series banner.

Didn't know that, quite surprising.

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »

I would love to be at the meeting when someone reminds jerry jones he signed up for that!

Didn't know that, quite surprising.

its all about money. If the NFL showed them they'd make more money through 7 home + 1 international than 8 home, its a decision to be made.

We won't be seeing divisional match ups IMO and the lilkes of Steelers/Packers might be alst to do it, but its certainly not completely out of the question that IF there's a dublin game (I don't think thre will be), that it'd be the Steelers at home

I would love to be at the meeting when someone reminds jerry jones he signed up for that!

He he. I'd imagine a few of them signed up to it thinking "yeah, yeah, he'll never make us do it"

I dont see it happening in 2013 to be fair but Id say the NFL will be keen to see how the NCAAF game goes next year.

If thats a success then that might just be a factor that convicnes the NFL to have a game here in futuer but id say 2014 would be more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Either way, Croke Park is ideal as a stadium, all-seater besides Hill 16 and the sheer size of the pinch means there's plenty of room for the NFL side-lines that tend to have more people than a small St. Patrick's Day parade on each side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

D3PO wrote: »
    Your honor I thought Mna was the mens toilets .......

Someone should make t-shirts

"Went to NFL Dublin to see the Steelers and all I got was this t-shirt and a raping by Big Ben"

And let their missus wear it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Surely this is a pipe dream. As a market, Ireland is just too small, I really think Germany is infinitely more likely. Better stadiums + bigger audience. In US terms London may as well be Dublin for all it matters in terms of time zone, market (we watch the same TV channels more or less) and reaching out to local fans. I think the NFL would be thinking bigger than Dublin.

Unfortunately.

I am pie wrote: »
    Surely this is a pipe dream. As a market, Ireland is just too small,.

you must not have been to wembley for any game. the majority of people will travel from elsewhere in europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Syferus wrote: »
    Either way, Croke Park is ideal as a stadium, all-seater besides Hill 16 and the sheer size of the pinch means there's plenty of room for the NFL side-lines that tend to have more people than a small St. Patrick's Day parade on each side.

Croke Park is not ideal due to that poxy Hill 16. It'll never host an NFL regular season game unless bucket seats are put in on that end.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Croke Park is not ideal due to that poxy Hill 16. It'll never host an NFL regular season game unless bucket seats are put in on that end.

Its relatively easy to install temporary seating in the hill so no big issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

SantryRed wrote: »

Bucket seats like they were doing for the Ireland soccer matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

D3PO wrote: »
    you must not have been to wembley for any game. the majority of people will travel from elsewhere in europe.

Right, and why would they have a game in Ireland as opposed to London which is closer to the rest of Europe. Why wouldn't they just have it closer to where the majority of the fans are ?

I can see no commercial sense in a Dublin fixture. Makes no sense either in terms of trying to expand your fan base. Why try to do that in one of the smallest countries in Europe ?

Surely this is a pipe dream. As a market, Ireland is just too small, I really think Germany is infinitely more likely. Better stadiums + bigger audience. In US terms London may as well be Dublin for all it matters in terms of time zone, market (we watch the same TV channels more or less) and reaching out to local fans. I think the NFL would be thinking bigger than Dublin.

Unfortunately.

The bit in bold answers your point about market. in terms of TV, we'd be effectively servicing the UK market.

I don't think it will happen, and I agree that germany is more likely but there's no real barriers to us holding a game. UK and germany can offer more though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

the aviva would be a better option
    closer to town, on the dart etc
    plus its an all seater stadium
    can a nfl pitch fit on a soccer pitch?
    presume so, as soldier field is home to the bears and the fire

conno16 wrote: »

Fire is long gone. And its easier to shorten an NFL pitch than lengthen a football pitch. Seeing as the Navy/Notre dame game is in Aviva, the size of the pitch isn't an issue

The size of the stands are though. I'd expect any game in Dublin to easily sell out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Croke Park 10min walk from O'Connell Street(served by several luas, dart and bus services) V Aviva 30min(approx) walk from O'Connell Street, served by no luas network, one train station and less bus routes.

Croke Park 80k capacity V Aviva 50k Capacity. More fans, better atmosphere, more money.

An NFL gridiron is 120yards long; 100 yards apart are the 10 yards each end for the end zone(scoring area for a TD) 53.3 yards wide. Aviva would be a tight squeeze for a pitch. Croke park would fit the pitch in lenghtways easily and width easily inc the previously mentioned sideline area's for the player. GAA pitches are monsters compared to soccer pitches.

Scheduling; Croke Park would be free after September when the NFL season is in full swing due to the GAA seasons finishing early September V Aviva where Ireland will have a couple of WC qualifiers matches.

Croke Park wins on all accounts.

I really hope this happens. Even if it doesn't would be a great weekend trip to Berlin/Munich/Paris/Milan/Rome... etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

it would have to be two big teams for me to travel to berlin or paris etc
    on the other hand, a mediocre lineup would still have me wandering up to croker or the aviva
    regardless of the teams, if this is a regular season game it will easily sell-out in ireland
    unless of course tickets are 100 quid

i'd push for green bay versus patriots (or maybe ny giants)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

i'd push for green bay versus patriots

No way a game of that magnitude would be moved

Right, and why would they have a game in Ireland as opposed to London which is closer to the rest of Europe. Why wouldn't they just have it closer to where the majority of the fans are ?

I can see no commercial sense in a Dublin fixture. Makes no sense either in terms of trying to expand your fan base. Why try to do that in one of the smallest countries in Europe ?

they will still have the London game this would be in addition to it.

Weather the game be in London, Dublin, Madrid or Berlin the same international fans will travel. If you were at Wembley for any of the games you would find a hell of a lot of German fans a hell of alot of Irish, lots from Scotland etc

Comercially any of the locations I mention provide the same thing to the NFL i.e European exposure whilst also being easier on the teams.

America to Ireland is less travel for the teams, its less costly for the teams, plus they are based in an English speaking location which is also handier for them.

Its not as unbelieveable as you seem to think it is, although again Id say 2013 is unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Dan Rooney is a dyed-in-the-wool Irish-American and personally requested the Irish ambassador role from Obama so it's hard to question that emotionally he'd want to join two huge passions of his.

All the intimations so far has the NFL leaning towards a second Wembley game but, honestly, familiarity breeds apathy and that it would risk taking the shine off what they already have going on at Wembley.

What I can say with confidence is that as of right now Ireland is far, far more likely to host an NFL game of any hue than Germany is as the NFL is huge on sticking to one market at the moment. They've over-reached in the past so they're taking things very conservatively this time. The 40 million people of Irish heritage in America and the two countries historical bonds (as opposed to antagonism in the case of Germany) certainly helps too.

If the Notre Dame game is a success it'll really boost our chances so I suppose the best advice you can offer is if you want an NFL game here turn out in the Aviva next year.

Advertisement