Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things that make you go hmm!

Options
  • 14-06-2010 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

It takes about 20 seconds for a red blood cell to circle the whole body.

It cost 7 million dollars to build the Titanic and 200 million to make a film about it.

Your tongue is germ free only if it is pink. If it is white there is a thin film of bacteria on it.

The reason honey is so easy to digest is that it’s already been digested by a bee.

Every time you sneeze some of your brain cells die.

The sound you hear when you crack your knuckles is actually the sound of nitrogen gas bubbles bursting.

Every day 200 million couples make love, 400,000 babies are born, and 140,000 people die.

The only 2 animals that can see behind itself without turning its head are the rabbit and the parrot.

Laughing lowers levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system. Six-year-olds laugh an average of 300 times a day. Adults only laugh 15 to 100 times a day.

The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear.

HHHmmmmmmmmmm!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

80% of polar bears are left-handed....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

My missus makes me go "Hmmmmmmm."*

*I do not have a missus.

OutlawPete wrote: »

hmmm, damn you pete and your slightly faster internet connection

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Roosters cannot crow if they cannot extend their necks.

Switching letters is called spoonerism. For example, saying jag of Flapan, instead of flag of Japan.

Do you know the names of the three wise monkeys? They are:Mizaru(See no evil), Mikazaru(Hear no evil), and Mazaru(Speak no evil)

If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural cause.

HHmmmm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

irish-stew wrote: »
    hmmm, damn you pete and your slightly faster internet connection

;)

I installed Windows 7 this morning, there's no stopping me now :)

Vista sucks big donkey balls.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I installed Windows 7 this morning, there's no stopping me now :)

Vista sucks big donkey balls.

hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural cause.

HHmmmm!

That's not true....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

You will die faster from extreme lack of sleep than starvation.

Everyday you share your birthday with about 9 million people.

There are more people alive today than have ever died.

It is not possible to tickle yourself. Even the most ticklish among us do not have the ability to tickle ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

It takes about 20 seconds for a red blood cell to circle the whole body.

It cost 7 million dollars to build the Titanic and 200 million to make a film about it.

Your tongue is germ free only if it is pink. If it is white there is a thin film of bacteria on it.

The reason honey is so easy to digest is that it’s already been digested by a bee.

The sound you hear when you crack your knuckles is actually the sound of nitrogen gas bubbles bursting.

Every day 200 million couples make love, 400,000 babies are born, and 140,000 people die.

The only 2 animals that can see behind itself without turning its head are the rabbit and the parrot.

Laughing lowers levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system. Six-year-olds laugh an average of 300 times a day. Adults only laugh 15 to 100 times a day.
    The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear.

HHHmmmmmmmmmm!!

I wish I had 15 things a day to laugh about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

HHHmmmmmmmmmm!!.....

Not true (Woodcock would cock that one up)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

HHmmmm!

Stephen Fry said that's bollocks and I trust every word he says

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

my cats breath smells like cat food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That's not true....

I wonder what he would make of this.

http://strix.org.uk/posts/upside-down-horse-statue

• Registered Users Posts: 33,016 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The theme tune to Fraggel Rock is written mostly in haiku format.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

brummytom wrote: »
    I trust every word he says

Hmmmmm......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Darksaga87 wrote: »

There are more people alive today than have ever died.

It is not possible to tickle yourself. Even the most ticklish among us do not have the ability to tickle ourselves.

That first one can't possibly be true. Shenanigans!!!

And, I can tickle myself. Then again, I am pretty darn special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

In a class of 23 people there is a 50/50 chance of two of them sharing a birthday.

If I have a baby boy, the probability of my second child being a boy is different if I know what day he is born on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

HHHmmmmmmmmmm!!

1. There has been a slight amount of inflation since the early 1900s.

2. Full of ****. Our mouths are full of bacteria.

3. Cells die all the time, it is actually when cells do not die when they should that we develop tumours.

3. More bull****. The vast majority of birds have eyes on the sides of their head the exact same as a parrot. The only birds that don't are ones with the least number of natural predators- for example eagles.

Magenta wrote: »
    1. There has been a slight amount of inflation since the early 1900s.

3. Cells die all the time, it is actually when cells do not die when they should that we develop tumours.

3. More bull****. The vast majority of birds have eyes on the sides of their head the exact same as a parrot. The only birds that don't are ones with the least number of natural predators- for example eagles.

HHHMMmmmmm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It seems that where the OP says HHHmmmmmmmmmm!!, everyone else says bollocks.:P

The three most valuable brand names on earth: Marlboro, Coca-Cola, and Budweiser, in that order.

Turtles can breathe through their butts.

On average, 100 people choke to death on ball-point pens every year.

Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Hot women... h-h-hmmmmmmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

In a class of 23 people you have a 50/50 chance of sharing a birthday with one of them.

In a class of 23 people, there's a 50/50 chance of two people sharing a birthday, not a 50/50 chance that YOU will share a birthday with someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

nibtrix wrote: »
    In a class of 23 people, there's a 50/50 chance of two people sharing a birthday, not a 50/50 chance that YOU will share a birthday with someone else.

Ooops I badly worded that!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Ooops I badly worded that!!:o

you mean, you worded that badly.;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Magenta wrote: »
    V true. Apparently our mouths contain more bacteria than our bottoms.:)
    True though braincells dont get renewed.
    Crows are more front facing. But yea most prey animals have much better all around vision. Another animal that has the most all around vision is the chameleon. Waaaay better than the OP's examples(and a predator funny enough)
    Turtles can breathe through their butts.
    Only some can. Mostly freshwater species.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

The three most valuable brand names on earth: Marlboro, Coca-Cola, and Budweiser, in that order.

Not true.

Discussion here: http://www.snopes.com/business/market/brandnames.asp

Advertisement