Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment of registration fees??

• 25-08-2009 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

For first years in Carlow IT does anyone know when fees have to be paid? Is it on registration day?
    Is here a time limit?
    Can they be paid in installments of two or three payments?
    We may qualify for a grant but unsure as yet and probably won't know before term begins.

Any information greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

Yeah you pay on registration day.
    Unfortunately it seems you cant pay in installments, got a letter today for my second year registration and it said its not possible to pay fees by installments but to contact the academic administration manager if you have any serious difficultly paying the fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

Realtine wrote: »
    We may qualify for a grant but unsure as yet and probably won't know before term begins.

Any information greatly appreciated!

If this is the case you may be able to get a letter from your VEC/Council asking them to state subject to finalising your application blah blah blah that you will be entitled to a grant.

Also, you CAN do fee by installment. Trust a person in the know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Ms Happy wrote: »
    If this is the case you may be able to get a letter from your VEC/Council asking them to state subject to finalising your application blah blah blah that you will be entitled to a grant.

Also, you CAN do fee by installment. Trust a person in the know :)

You sure about that because the letter said that this year you can't - which would really really mess things up for me. Have the registration fee covered for september but if i have to pay tuition fees then too I'd be well boned

Tom10 wrote: »
    You sure about that because the letter said that this year you can't - which would really really mess things up for me. Have the registration fee covered for september but if i have to pay tuition fees then too I'd be well boned

The college doesn't want everyone paying by installment as there are many cases each year where the students don't bother paying.

I know you'll be able to do fee by installment it's over 3 payments and you have to pay on the dates or risk having your student account blocked/results of exams held back.

What makes you think you have to pay tuition fees? have you been in third level before or are you referring to the end of the "Free fees" scheme?

I wouldn't say it if I wasn't sure

The college doesn't want everyone paying by installment as there are many cases each year where the students don't bother paying.

I know you'll be able to do fee by installment it's over 3 payments and you have to pay on the dates or risk having your student account blocked/results of exams held back.

What makes you think you have to pay tuition fees? have you been in third level before or are you referring to the end of the "Free fees" scheme?

No i've been to college before and have had to pay fees every other year. This is my final year so was really taken aback when I read that in the letter.

• Advertisement

I have sought confirmation on the fee by installment plan from the admissions office. If you want to do a fee by installment fue to extenuating circumstances you need to email the academic administration manager in the college.

I have sought confirmation on the fee by installment plan from the admissions office. If you want to do a fee by installment fue to extenuating circumstances you need to email the academic administration manager in the college.

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

I just rang the college and I've been told that if you don't pay the fee in one go you cannot register - full stop. So if anyone has the email address of the person who decides differently please post it - I can't find it on the website.

Realtine wrote: »
    I just rang the college and I've been told that if you don't pay the fee in one go you cannot register - full stop. So if anyone has the email address of the person who decides differently please post it - I can't find it on the website.

You need to ask to speak to the Academic Administration Manager. You've been given incorrect information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

whats the payment options ie cash cheque etc... i had to pay €900 cash last year because the bank handling the fees wouldnt accept an ulster bank cheque only one from there own bank:mad: so lucky enough my debit card allowed me to take out 900 and there was that amount in the college atm on the day, so dont want to get stuck this year as i think the max cash payout on my card is 900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

As far as I know at my college for first year students- they has to pay the fees before registration day.

I'm going into third year and got a letter asking me to pay the fees nearly four weeks before with 5-6days notice. I found it to be an insult considering the economic climate and the difference between 900 and 1,500.

I was expecting it but not until few days before registration day which isn't until 14th September like year.
    :mad::mad::mad:

Certainly let the office know all about how my peers and I felt.
    Plenty people aren't coming back to do third year because of this :(

XDivaX wrote: »

Certainly let the office know all about how my peers and I felt.
    Plenty people aren't coming back to do third year because of this :(

Do you not think thats a little counter productuive as far as your education goes? this being the last year of free tuiton fees. it's not the colleges fault that the government put the reg. fee up in the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

it's not the colleges fault that the government put the reg. fee up in the budget.

She never said it was the colleges fault, but it still doesn't change the fact that for some people its the difference between making rent that month and not!

The reality is less people are going to be start/finish college in the next 2 years because of these fees, and for a government that has been looking for ways to re-skill a work force they couldn't have picked a worse way to do so!

Also you would be naive to believe the HEA had no say in all of this.

Do you not think thats a little counter productuive as far as your education goes? this being the last year of free tuiton fees. it's not the colleges fault that the government put the reg. fee up in the budget.

As PjC stated, I never said it was college's fault ;)
    Somehow it wasn't the fees I was p**sed about- it was the lack of notice college gave us in paying these fees. It is reasonable enough, considering some people didnt pay it last year at all, just they could had given us 2 weeks or even a month notice requesting it on a particular day rather than 5 days.
    (Budgeted so that I'd have all of it by next week without ruining my summer but my friend thankfully helped me out paying the rest 3 weeks ago and I'll pay her back in few weeks time. Glad I didn't have to ask my parents as my brother is going to college for first time which will cost a lot more with him needing accommodation.)

PjC wrote: »
    She never said it was the colleges fault, but it still doesn't change the fact that for some people its the difference between making rent that month and not!

The reality is less people are going to be start/finish college in the next 2 years because of these fees, and for a government that has been looking for ways to re-skill a work force they couldn't have picked a worse way to do so!

Also you would be naive to believe the HEA had no say in all of this.

The HEA have some serious say, i know that. I don't agree with fees coming back I don't agree with the change in registration fees either.

What I'm saying is the change happened in the budget months ago and the office staff in the college are powerless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

THis is how it starts the rich people gets richer and the poor takes less!

RealistSpy wrote: »

How would the "rich" people get richer when they're expected to fork out too?:confused: the "poor" would have a lot more support than the "rich"

To be honest, I'm fed up with people putting humans into two categories as "rich" and "poor" during the recession when it affects both.

RealistSpy wrote: »

Couldn't agree more, apart from the IFSC in Dublin "Free Fees" were the best thing Charlie Haughey was responsible for. Even though he was looking after his rich friends the benefit has been there for others.

The divide between rich/poor will only widen over the next few months years.....

Anyway back on topic.... The college WILL be doing fee by installment.:)

Couldn't agree more, apart from the IFSC in Dublin "Free Fees" were the best thing Charlie Haughey was responsible for. Even though he was looking after his rich friends the benefit has been there for others.

The divide between rich/poor will only widen over the next few months years.....

Anyway back on topic.... The college WILL be doing fee by installment.:)

Will I still have to go to Mary Jordan to sort out the fee by installment or will I be able to arrange it on the day I register???

Tom10 wrote: »
    Will I still have to go to Mary Jordan to sort out the fee by installment or will I be able to arrange it on the day I register???

You should be able to sort it out on the day you register but I would still send her an email just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Protagonist

how much will i need to bring with me for these installments?

how much will i need to bring with me for these installments?

You will only get the 100% correct answer to this from the Admissions office, call 059-9175173/4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 44 andrewshawire

The goverment has not made this introduction of full fees in 2010. As it is now they are proposing it. And every one is falling for the trap of thinking it is set in stone for 2010 this is not the case. I am sure in the comming year the students of ireland will take action to provent this from happining. And I advise everyone to get involved.

Andy

The goverment has not made this introduction of full fees in 2010. As it is now they are proposing it. And every one is falling for the trap of thinking it is set in stone for 2010 this is not the case. I am sure in the comming year the students of ireland will take action to provent this from happining. And I advise everyone to get involved.

Andy

It does feel inevitable though, I for one hope it doesn't happen.

Hopefully you'll be right though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭madheaded

need help asap im regestering this morning and planning on paying by cheque and want to know who do i make the cheque out to

• Registered Users Posts: 44 andrewshawire

Hi andy here from the studens union and i have asked with students services and they say it will be told to you at the desk when you register.

Hope this helps

Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

madheaded wrote: »
    need help asap im regestering this morning and planning on paying by cheque and want to know who do i make the cheque out to

I registered yesterday by cheque and the cheque is made out to "Carlow Institute of Technology"

what cheque did you use i know its aib that looks after the money on the day i registered last year with an ulster bank cheque they wouldnt accept it:mad: if they dont this year they can just wait because i aint driving back home 3 hours to monaghan to get a bankers draft or whatever:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

deaglan169 wrote: »
    what cheque did you use i know its aib that looks after the money on the day i registered last year with an ulster bank cheque they wouldnt accept it:mad: if they dont this year they can just wait because i aint driving back home 3 hours to monaghan to get a bankers draft or whatever:confused:

Maybe a bit late now but i used a BOI cheque

• Advertisement

Maybe a bit late now but i used a BOI cheque

im not registering till friday well if they will accept a BOI they can accept an ulster bank one so thanks

Advertisement