Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury In Skiing Accident

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm really hoping that he was put in an induced coma so that his brain can rest and recover as it needs to.

I'm holding onto hope right now.

Gary Hartstein, the former F1 medical delegate (and an anaesthetist) believes that he's in an induced coma. Amid all the speculation, he's probably a good source of information right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

live updates a bit too much like death watch for me.............. having your family around your bed sounds ominous too.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hopefully he pulls through. Never liked him, but you cant ignore his serious talent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I dont like the way he walked away and worsened soon after, not a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Wow, I heard the news about his accident this morning but assumed he was fine after initial reports. Worrying parallels with Natasha Richardson but hopefully the fact that he has been in hospital since means that he'll be able to pull through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I dont like the way he walked away and worsened soon after, not a good sign

Happens with head injuries, I had a fall off a horse once, and landed on my head wearing a helmet, was knocked out for a couple of minutes then got up, and went my merry way for a couple of hours, and was then taken to a and e with a blinding headache, blurred vision, poor balance etc.

Took a few hours for the symptoms to come on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

His 45th birthday is on Friday. I wouldn't consider him young, but certainly too young to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Desperate news to hear about anyone but especially an idol like him. My brother will be in a terrible way about this.... Hopefully the fact he got immediate medical attention and the fact he has access to the best care going will be enough to pull through. He and his family will be in my thoughts. An inspiritational racing driver and person in general. Never lived up the celebrity status he received and always gives to charity etc. C'mon Michael!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Can only hope he pulls through. Was more of a Damon Hill fan but any head injury is frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DB83

Shocking news... Quotes from his agent say he was wearing a helmet at the time so must have been a serious blow to the head.

An unbelievable driving talent & often overlooked for the huge amount of charity work he does....Hopefully he pulls through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Apparently he won his first two World Championships with a broken neck. Also, when he broke his leg in 1999, he was back winning races again just three months later.

He fell off a motorbike in 2009 and suffered...
    a serious injury to the seventh vertebra of the neck, a fracture of the first left rib and a fracture at the base of the skull, roughly the size of a thumbnail but in a place supporting the whole weight of the skull. There was also a hairline fracture on the left side of the skull. One of the two main arteries to Schumacher's brain was also damaged.

He's really not like everybody else. Hopefully his bizarre capacity to recover from serious injuries will strike again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

RayM wrote: »
    Apparently he won his first two World Championships with a broken neck. Also, when he broke his leg in 1999, he was back winning races again just three months later.

He fell off a motorbike in 2009 and suffered...

He's really not like everybody else. Hopefully his bizarre capacity to recover from serious injuries will strike again.
    When he came back in '99 he drove what was arguably the best race of his career to try help Eddie Irvine become world champion.

A living legend and a hero of mine. He'll make it, he's a winner with no idea how to quit. Come on Schuey, one more win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Statement about an hour ago from the University Hospital of Grenoble which confirms Schumacher is in a coma:

"Mr Schumacher was admitted to the University Hospital of Grenoble at 12:40pm, following a skiing accident which occurred in Meribel in the late morning," the statement said.

"He suffered a severe head injury with coma on arrival, which required immediate neurosurgical intervention. He remains in a critical situation."

"Immediate neurosurgical intervention" means they had him on the operating table almost as soon as he came in. It's not clear to me whether they're still working on him or he's out of surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I was never a F1 fan. I watched the film Senna a year ago and thought wow Schumacher is such a straight and narrow type of guy, fair play, and lucky him he survived such a dangerous sport. I'd be sad to see him go this way if he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Induced comas are standard after any type of head injury like this. Massa was induced as well after his crash in '09.

My thoughts are with him and his family, I grew up watching him on TV, he is beyond an idol for me, he was everything F1 when I watched it.

If anyone can, it's him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Gintonious wrote: »
    Induced comas are standard after any type of head injury like this. Massa was induced as well after his crash in '09.

My thoughts are with him and his family, I grew up watching him on TV, he is beyond an idol for me, he was everything F1 when I watched it.

If anyone can, it's him.

Hospital statement said he arrived in a coma state so it does not seem induced.

Does not sound good for him, hope I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I did read as well that he was awake when medics arrived, the next 24 hours are very important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

It is a very serious head injury ill be devastated if he doesn't pull trough grew up watching him make history in F1. He made records the likes that will never be seen again. Thaughts and prayers are with the Schumacher family. Next few hours are crucial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

Latest article on it:
    Former F1 Champ Schumacher in Coma After Brain Surgery

Seven-time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher was in critical condition after undergoing brain surgery following a skiing accident in the French Alps on Sunday, doctors said.

The Grenoble University Hospital Center said the retired racing driver arrived at the clinic in a coma and underwent immediate surgery for a serious head trauma.

It was not clear whether the 44-year-old Schumacher was still in a coma but the hospital statement, which was signed by a neurosurgeon, an anesthesiologist and Marc Penaud, the hospital's deputy director, said "he remains in a critical condition."

Schumacher fell while skiing off-piste in Meribel earlier Sunday and hit his head on a rock, according to a statement from the resort. Resort managers said he had been wearing a helmet and was conscious when rescuers first responded to the scene.

Earlier in the day, the Meribel resort said Schumacher had been taken to Grenoble for tests and authorities said his life was not in danger.

But the situation began to appear more serious when the resort said that orthopedic and trauma surgeon Gerard Saillant had traveled from Paris to the hospital in Grenoble to examine Schumacher. German news agency dpa said it was Saillant who operated on Schumacher when he broke his leg during a crash at the Silverstone race course in 1999.

In an email to The Associated Press, Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm said the champion German driver was on a private skiing trip and "fell on his head."

"We ask for understanding that we cannot give running updates on his condition. He wore a helmet and was not alone," Kehm said. Schumacher's 14-year-old son was skiing with his father when the accident happened, the resort said.

As news of the accident spread, Formula One drivers used social media to wish Schumacher a quick recovery.

His former Ferrari teammate Felipe Massa, who recovered from life-threatening injuries sustained at the Hungarian Grand Prix in 2009, wrote on Instagram: "I am praying for you my brother!! I hope you have a quick recovery!! God bless you Michael."

The Twitter feed of Germany's Adrian Sutil, who drives for Sauber, read: "I hope Michael Schumacher will get well soon! All my best to him and his family." Romain Grosjean of Lotus tweeted: "All our thoughts to Schumi and his family! Hope you will recover soon #legend #Schumi."

Support also came from leading German sports personalities, ranging from the NBA to soccer. Dallas Mavericks power forward Dirk Nowitzki said his thoughts were with Schumacher, while Lukas Podolski, who plays for Arsenal in the English Premier League, tweeted: "Bad news from Switzerland: please get well soon, Michael Schumacher. All the best for you, my friend! #getwellsoon #MichaelSchumacher."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Schumi was a huge hero of mine as a kid. I remember walking about in full Ferrari kit waiting for Sundays to come when I could see him race.

A true legend of the sport with zero knowledge of when to stop or give up. Come on Schumi, you've made come backs before, make this your greatest!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

rwg wrote: »
    I have no desire to joke about it - I just take great offence to op's who start threads and then attempt to dictate the responses

Phone fucking Liveline with your 'great offence' then and take your sick jokes with you while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Jonkenji

I fear the only 2 outcomes from this are death or living with a serious brain injury :-( Really hope he proves me wrong and makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

There is going to be a news conference at 10am about his condition - with three neurosurgeons.

On a side note - I wouldn't like to be one of the neurosurgeon in charge of Michael Schumacher. Could you imagine the pressure?

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    There is going to be a news conference at 10am about his condition - with three neurosurgeons.

On a side note - I wouldn't like to be one of the neurosurgeon in charge of Michael Schumacher. Could you imagine the pressure?

Some lad arrived yesterday who is a personal friend of Schumacher and a few other F1 heads. The medical personnel within the motorsport circles are all fantastic and used to working on/with people they know and in very high-profile cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Sad news to wake up to. Like everyone else, I hope he pulls through. Really makes you realise how fragile life is and how truly precious.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

murpho999 wrote: »
    Hospital statement said he arrived in a coma state so it does not seem induced.

Does not sound good for him, hope I am wrong.

IIRC he was induced into a coma in the initial hospital before being transferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

So he does have a clot on the brain. His body temperature is being kept down to try to relieve the pressure.
    He is still critical but as the doctors said, it realy is too soon to give a prognosis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

He was my childhood hero, hope he pulls through

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

He was / is my sporting hero. The definitive guy I always wanted to be. I've read his biographies and watched his races. I had the Ferrari tshirt and even shoes.

I really hope he makes it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Jonkenji wrote: »
    I fear the only 2 outcomes from this are death or living with a serious brain injury :-( Really hope he proves me wrong and makes a full recovery.

Not at all, just look at another high profile cranial impact incident with Richard Hammond, he went through all of what we are hearing now about Schumacher, and after several years of rehab management and recovery he is more or less back to where he was, but he himself was first to say that at various points in recovery he thought he was better, only to look back on those points and realise he wasnt better at all.

The Hammond and Stirling Moss documentary on acquired brain injuries is a fascinating watch. Its shows the massive progress in the medicine of the field, but also that recovery to less than 100% can take many years. Hammond had it hard but I hope Schumacher is at least as lucky as him

Advertisement