Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

• 08-05-2012 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Is there anything (food, booze, household products, shower products, etc...) that you refuse to buy in Lidl or Aldi because you believe they just aren't as good?

Comments

St. Bernard stuff, only ever buy it in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gerarda

Chicken fillets.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Used to be but I am fast learning that much of the stuff in Alsi is better*

*Except Aldi potatoes, fúckin rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

The disco biscuits are pretty useless, man what a sh!t rave that turned out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Coffee in both is awful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭harperlee

Condoms and wine, the condoms I wouldn't trust and the wine gives you the worst hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

The bread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

My entire weekly shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

well feck, i have aldi potatoes in the oven as we speak!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Perlenbacher (beer). It's the devils own piss in a bottle. Drank 6 of them last week and woke up the next morning feeling like I'd been on a 3 day binge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I find a lot of Aldi's (in particular) food to be superior to some of the other supermarkets stuff.

Maris piper chips at 1.99 thrash mccains etc at double the price.
    Aldi steaks are melt in the mouth
    Aldi cooking sauces (curry in particular) puts pataks, uncle Ben to Shame.
    The sweets, cakes, biscuits are lovely.
    fruit and veg seems to be tastier/fresher than Tesco.
    Rhinebacher beer, six pack of 500ml bottles, 4.9% beats Budweiser, miller etc HANDS DOWN! (6.29€)

I draw the line at ketchup and brown sauce from Aldi though, its rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

all meat and frozen stuff veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Milk.
    For most stuff they're grand

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

gerarda wrote: »
    Chicken fillets.

I buy fresh and frozen chicken fillets from Aldi all the time and they're fine..

I don't generally buy cleaning products from Aldi or Lidl, I find them sh1t.. Flash all the way..

Toiletries, with the exception of hand soaps and shower gels, again I always go for branded.. although I do love their Sienna Q10 day and night creams, they're great, actually won some big beauty award a few years back, it was hailed as one of the best creams around, beating the big names like Clnique etc..

Other than that I find all Aldi's foods to be grand quality.. I shop there the whole time :)

The bread

Aldi does a lovely wholemeal toasting pan. It's as thick and crunchy as any I have tasted. it costs €1.19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Coffee, tea, ketchup, mayonnaise, cat food (nobody has told cats that we're in a recession). Apart from that I find most stuff is as good if not better than branded items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The cleaning products generally aren't as good.

Do they sell condoms? NO WAY am I risking cheapo johnnies.

Nodferatu wrote: »
    well feck, i have aldi potatoes in the oven as we speak!!

They don't taste too bad, it's just you have to cut off all the black stuff usually.

the frozen chips are great.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

The johnnies look dodgy alright. I don't know why they sell them. Lets face it, most people who shop in Lidl don't use them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

DarkJager wrote: »
    Perlenbacher (beer). It's the devils own piss in a bottle. Drank 6 of them last week and woke up the next morning feeling like I'd been on a 3 day binge.

Can't understand that tbh, I find it to be great stuff, would almost go as far as saying hangover proof :confused:

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Coffee, tea, ketchup, mayonnaise, cat food (nobody has told cats that we're in a recession). Apart from that I find most stuff is as good if not better than branded items.

I bought their tea for the first time last week and it is delicious (McGrath's Aldi). It was on the news last week in a taste test Lidl had the best mayo followed by Aldi then Hellman's and then Heinz

I do find their catfood too salty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I like aldi and lidl for their vegtable range,their selection of cheeses are quite good,the stuff i would stay away from would be biscuits and crackers,crisps,and stuff like that,their fresh baked bread in lidl and croissants arent bad..

I wouldnt mind the cat food as the cat cant really tell the difference between cat brands like whiskas or tescos own brand,lidl own brand etc..I always get the veg there from now on,as the veg(the carrots anyway) in tescos goes off so quick and the smell is awful...

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Aldi does a lovely wholemeal toasting pan. It's as thick and crunchy as any I have tasted. it costs €1.19

I dont like crunchy bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Irony is that most of their products are actually supplied by the big manufacturers (Hunky Dorys supply the Aldi crisps), so it's quite possible that the condoms could be from the likes of Durex. Not that Durex are likely to admit it...

it's only crunchy when you toast it

Then it's not bread, it's toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

gerarda wrote: »
    Chicken fillets.

Why? You do know that they're the same product from the same suppliers as Tesco, Super Valu, Centra, Superquinn and the likes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭harperlee

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    AnonoBoy wrote: »

Irony is that most of their products are actually supplied by the big manufacturers (Hunky Dorys supply the Aldi crisps), so it's quite possible that the condoms could be from the likes of Durex. Not that Durex are likely to admit it...
    They are called fruity flavours, that's not even a name, it's a description, they look like they fell off the back of a pound shop lorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭corglass

What if you like crunchy bread but have no toaster?

Advertisement