Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cast iron wheels

• 07-06-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

i'm probably in the wrong forum, but i have some cast iron wheels off a mowing machine that i want to sell , but i dont know what to ask for then , im thinking between 50 & 70euro , am i in the ball park?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

pat25c wrote: »
    i'm probably in the wrong forum, but i have some cast iron wheels off a mowing machine that i want to sell , but i dont know what to ask for then , im thinking between 50 & 70euro , am i in the ball park?
    Pictures please and more info. They might be worth thousands or a euro a piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pat25c

mower.jpg their just like this except there's teeth for a ratchet mech on a few of them , about the same condition as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

definitely worth more than 100euro each scrap weight alone . to a vintage enthusiast depends on make of mowing machine and certainly worth a few quid if machine is moving and there are a few tricks to get even jammed ones freed so bide your time free it out and you have a nice few quid.
    pity you didnt tell us the make and model and year it should be on a plate

they were made by picerse of wexford , i didt see a number on it

why not try see if it moves, start from there don't dog it if its jammed lubricate and clean it for a start and clean off cogs etc. paraffin is as good a penetrating oil as any. had one years ago and father sold it for scrap while i was on holidays ,could have c***** d him
    saw a chap light a small fire under gearbox to free it out oil had gone like tar, it worked after a few times. i thought he would destroy it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

sandydan wrote: »
    definitely worth more than 100euro each scrap weight alone . to a vintage enthusiast depends on make of mowing machine and certainly worth a few quid if machine is moving and there are a few tricks to get even jammed ones freed so bide your time free it out and you have a nice few quid.
    pity you didnt tell us the make and model and year it should be on a plate

Not unless they weigh 1000kg each..scrap is lower at the mo, c.a €100 a ton..better off selling it as a project OP, bang it up on Donedeal and let some other crazy lucky sucker punter do the freeing off. Some people like doing stuff like that and will pay good money for a bit of hardship.

sorry didnt mean as scrap value broken up just value of machine scrapped in parts to vintage enthusiasts. thats why i recomend to free out if possible by oiling and not dogging it to free it out as you may damage cogs and then it is really scrap, a machine with all cogs intact is worth something.
    one freed out even just half turn of wheel is of more value to enthusiast who sees a hope of restoring it completely. its some thing ive seen done. but i for one certainly will not. no siree:D

These are the wheels I mean

pat25c wrote: »
    These are the wheels I mean

? dont get you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

He's selling wheels only, picture was to show what wheels look like?

Scrap value or ornamental, €50 for both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement