Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens bet if tied on points

• 11-06-2010 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

What happens if I back a team to win their group but they only secure first by means of goal difference/head to head and not outright ?

I presume that I do not receive the full amount.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Verance

The winner is the winner no matter how it's decided, you'd get the full amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Verance wrote: »
    The winner is the winner no matter how it's decided, you'd get the full amount.

I am confused. I was in the bookies earlier and the lad behind the counter told me that I wouldnt receive the full amount and started saying something about deadheat rules in horseracing! He didnt sound to convinced himself to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Verance

I doubt it, none of the main bookies do that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

has to be a winner to progress, for the runner up of the other group to play, so your man was talking ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,285 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Kod-box wrote: »
    has to be a winner to progress, for the runner up of the other group to play, so your man was talking ****e.

Would have to second that. The group has to have a clearly definied winner and runner-up or the draw for second round would be messed up. According to FIFA rules winner is decided by the below

1. Number of points accumulated...this one goes without saying really
    2. Goal difference
    3. Goals scored..there's then some nonsense about least goals conceded but this couldn't decide a tie of they had same difference and goals for
    4. Result of the match between two tied teams...then some more nonsense about goal difference, goals for and against in that match
    5. Drawing of lots

So even if it comes down to picking a winner out of a hat there will be a winner, although some bookies may use their discretion and pay the 2nd place at dead heat rules but for a winner this shouldn't be accepted by the punter.

EDIT: Just realised the OP was talking about a tie on points but winner on goal difference etc....your bookie was definitely talking a load of sh*t. In a group of only four teams and six games there is a decent probability of 1st and 2nd finishing level on points. My World Cup forecast has three teams in Group D finishing on five for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

All sorted now. I went back to te bookies this morning and the chap rang someone to confirm and when he got off the phone he said that it will go to goal difference and no deadheat rules will apply.

Thx

Advertisement