Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BOI cash withdrawal issue

• 26-01-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

I've had two incidences where BOI would display the amount of money that I had in my personal account at an ATM but when I went to make a withdrawal I was told that I had insufficient funds (even though there was well over €500 in the account).

The first time this happened was on the 23rd of December. I put cash into my empty bank account in the morning but by the late evening when I went to take it out it wouldn't let me. It was finally able to access it on the 26th of December.

Then this morning I dropped a cheque into the express lodgement box and the money appeared in my account in the afternoon but again I was told that I had insufficient funds.

Why does this keep on happening? It is very frustrating :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The cheque issue is because it actually takes 2-3 days for a cheque to clear through the clearing system

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The money will be visible in your account, but a cheque takes 5 days to clear to access the funds. (Due to fraud)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

But I've been putting cheques in my account for 3 months now (contact work) and it usually gets cleared instantly. The incident today was the only issue I've had regarding cheques (the last one was straight cash but I understand because it was close to Christmas).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

you should be able to withdraw money in branch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

If the cheques were issued from the same branch as you are lodging them too they will clear the same day.
    Maybe thats why you didn't have that problem before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Several other banks will credit your account immediately upon lodgement of cheque (personal or other bank) with the condition that if it bounces or is fraudulant they reserve the right to take the money back. I much prefer this option than BOIs option of waiting 5 days in some cases to get cash form a cheque. ZZzzz....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Cheers for the input lads, I'll drop down tomorrow at some stage and see what the issue is. It's just that I've never, ever had this problem before in the 8 years since I've been with BOI and now suddenly twice in the space of one month :confused:

Advertisement