Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feed a family nutritionally well for <€132 a week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Where is there any protein or fat in that pictured lunch?

Is the slump after all those starchy carbs difficult to overcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Where is there any protein or fat in that pictured lunch?

Spinach, kale, french beans for protein
    Not much fat.
    Is the slump after all those starchy carbs difficult to overcome?

What slump?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ch750536 wrote: »
    Not much fat.

100g each of spinach/kale and french beans (so 300g in total) would only contain about 9 grams or so of protein, and I doubt there was that amount of each in your lunch plate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

€150 seems to be about where I'm heading in week 1. How do they do nutritionally, roughly?

They have cereal for breakfast (malted whaties/aldi hoops).
    Lunch is a bread roll with cheddar & ham, half apple + half clementine.
    Fruit as snack after school, maybe with some almond butter.
    Dinner is homemade - tonight pulled pork with salsa, cheese, avocado. They'll prob have theirs in wraps, I'll have mine in lettuce cups.
    I have a lamb caserrole on for tomorrow.

No "treats" mon-fri, they have a treat in their nana's on saturday & one desert over weekend.
    Never keep porcorn,crisps, biscuits etc in the house.

Seriously, you'd need a bucketful to get the same as you'd get from a chicken breast or a nice bit of fish.

Not much fat.

Exactly. You need some healthy fats to the exclusion of transfats you consume in other examples you give.

What slump?

The one after the shedload of carbs from that enormous portion of potatoes. Of course, everyone's body reacts differently and you may be lucky enough to not feel the effects of such an overload.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    100g each of spinach/kale and french beans (so 300g in total) would only contain about 9 grams or so of protein, and I doubt there was that amount of each in your lunch plate :)

Protein is a requirement from days to days not on a per meal basis. It is something that takes time to get your head around when you stop eating meat but protein comes from many many sources, not always 1/3rd of my dinner plate.

The salad you saw is excellent for the macros. I've also had almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds so far today.

Protein is a requirement from days to days not on a per meal basis.

Would it not be far easier, and conceivably healthier, to eat in a balanced way consistently rather than sporadically?

Seriously, you'd need a bucketful to get the same as you'd get from a chicken breast or a nice bit of fish.

I dont need protein in every meal. It's available from many other sources

Exactly. You need some healthy fats to the exclusion of transfats you consume in other examples you give.
    Completely agree. I'm not going to add fat to my salad just to give it fat though. I'll add it to myself in some other way.
    The one after the shedload of carbs from that enormous portion of potatoes. Of course, everyone's body reacts differently and you may be lucky enough to not feel the effects of such an overload.
    Maybe you're too close to the screen. The spuds were tiny (took 6 mins to cook) so really were not shedloads. Maybe the photo does not properly show this.

Would it not be far easier, and conceivably healthier, to eat in a balanced way consistently rather than sporadically?

Each to their own. If it's easier for you that's fine. Healthier - no proof whatsoever that protein needs to form a substantial part of each meal else you have health issues.

Maybe you're too close to the screen. The spuds were tiny (took 6 mins to cook) so really were not shedloads. Maybe the photo does not properly show this.

I count 17 on my large screen. Even if they're the size of grapes that's a big portion.

• Advertisement

I count 17 on my large screen. Even if they're the size of grapes that's a big portion.

Size of grapes is pretty close.

eta - Again though, it's not about 1 item 1 meal, it's about the progression going forward. It's also about the good things on the plate more than the bad. There is no such thing as a perfect meal, the world is full of individuals.

I'm looking to supply all I need for the family - right now we have massive numbers who are full of food but malnourished. This challenge is to eliminate cost from the argument against healthy eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

To be fair, I think we're all trying to judge too soon rather than to see the improvement over time.

I think that's the point of this exercise, I.e. to get to a good point rather than starting at one.

Not the finished report but days 1 to 4, unfinished, unformatted and without comment. Busy day today & tomorrow so may not get to it until Monday.

This is the analysis of all foods eaten by the 4 of us which was purchased by me (not including eating out). Also missing is some nuts \ seeds etc.

Energy 20554.2
    Carbs 2610
    Fiber 475.9
    Starch 901.1
    Sugars 859.4
    Fat 800.4
    Monounsaturated 267.8
    Polyunsaturated 285.8
    Omega-3 17
    Omega-6 167.3
    Saturated 129.6
    Trans-Fats 1.5
    Cholesterol 586.4
    Protein 894
    Cystine 7.4
    Histidine 15
    Isoleucine 23.7
    Leucine 41.7
    Lysine 31.6
    Methionine 11.9
    Phenylalanine 25.1
    Threonine 19.3
    Tryptophan 6
    Tyrosine 16.5
    Valine 27.8
    Vitamins
    B1 (Thiamine) 21.2
    B12 (Cobalamin) 100.2
    B2 (Riboflavin) 28.1
    B3 (Niacin) 480.3
    B5 (Pantothenic Acid) 49.8
    B6 (Pyridoxine) 40.4
    Folate 6504.3
    Vitamin A 38306.7
    Vitamin C 1872
    Vitamin D 4305.4
    Vitamin E 291.7
    Vitamin K 607.9
    Minerals
    Calcium 16133.7
    Copper 27.5
    Fluoride 146.8
    Iron 176
    Magnesium 4012.9
    Manganese 62.5
    Phosphorus 11093.1
    Potassium 40024.4
    Selenium 3313
    Sodium 14404.7
    Zinc 101.3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

What age are the kids? the cals seem pretty low
    20,554/4days/4people = 1284 cals each per day.

What age are the kids? the cals seem pretty low
    20,554/4days/4people = 1284 cals each per day.

This is the analysis of all foods eaten by the 4 of us which was purchased by me (not including eating out). Also missing is some nuts \ seeds etc.

7&9

Odd day yesterday so don't take too much notice of what is missing. Child 1 threw a book in child 2's eye causing some damage so normal stuff (like breakfast) just didn't happen.

Odd day yesterday so don't take too much notice of what is missing. Child 1 threw a book in child 2's eye causing some damage so normal stuff (like breakfast) just didn't happen.

I hope you thew the book at Child 1...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kiwikid

May be off focus of the thread but would you not set out the requirement for each human being fed, introduce clean non-processed foods, getting Enough exercise and eating until satisfied and work from there instead of all this number crunching?

kiwikid wrote: »
    May be off focus of the thread but would you not set out the requirement for each human being fed, introduce clean non-processed foods, getting Enough exercise and eating until satisfied and work from there instead of all this number crunching?

Focus of the thread is debunking the myth that healthy eating is expensive.

How to prove that is actually difficult. I don't have accurate numbers for average food spend, just average grocery spend. For this reason I can only compare what I buy vs what other people buy for groceries only. Misses all other food spend, like eating out etc but it is what it is.

Typically we do only eat clean non processed organic foods, obviously this is not a rule. We do get enough exercise and live a reasonably healthy lifestyle too. This is not the focus of what I am doing though.

The number crunching was requested from the forum. I used to do lots of number crunching but am now reasonably confident by simply looking back over the last 4 days of what we have all consumed and making a judgement on what may be missing \ required.

Example, first 4 days my protein was a little low so day 5, 6 & 7 more protein was introduced.

Macro's are excellent for me but the kids need a little more leaf \ colourful veg. I may take calcium supplements for a few days as my teeth are hurting me. I need to read a little more as to what this can be though.
    Calories were fine for the kids, a little low for me at around 1700 per day but I can more than cope with some calorie restriction ;)
    Sat fats were controlled. Mono fats were good. Omega 3 was a little low for me (kids had salmon twice at grans) - still waiting on my algae so I have extra seeds in my diet for now.
    Vitamins are fine, but more citrus is good. We supplement D3 as we live in Ireland.
    Overall I felt we did a really good job to date in the first week.

Any constructive advice gladly appreciated. I know a lot of you have pointed out bad stuff but almost nobody has offered any real advice about replacing it or new foods to consider. I'm simply a student fumbling through this.

I hope you thew the book at Child 1...;)

He was devastated at what he had done to be fair. Didn't need any punishment from me. Child 2 wearing an eye patch for school thinking it's cool.

• Advertisement

He was devastated at what he had done to be fair. Didn't need any punishment from me. Child 2 wearing an eye patch for school thinking it's cool.

I really just needed to get that pun out of my system.

Week 1 summary showed 10% of the nutrition coming from 30% of the spend. Basically healthy food is nowhere near as expensive as unhealthy food!

You never hear people moaning about that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Week 1 summary showed 10% of the nutrition coming from 30% of the spend

I don't know if I've just had a long day or what but I have no idea what you mean by this sentence.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I don't know if I've just had a long day or what but I have no idea what you mean by this sentence.

Most people think that good quality food is expensive. What I found was the opposite.

The €15 spent on nonsense food gave the lowest return. The €60 spent on high nutrition food gave the highest return both from a nutrition and satisfaction perspective.

So in real terms, the nonsense column was effectively throwing my money away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Wood wrote: »
    You should read "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith. While your at it don't force your choices on your kids.

Ireland has some of the best meat products in the world. The chicken is second to none worldwide if bought from a reputable source. Saying one portion of meat per day is excessive is complete nonsense, we are omnivores.

But, you think hula hoops and sugar are okay? carry on. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to point out that in reality anytime you choose the food for your child, you are "forcing" it on them. Unless you leave the decision completely up to them, then you are forcing them. Whether its meat or veg.

I just wanted to point out that in reality anytime you choose the food for your child, you are "forcing" it on them. Unless you leave the decision completely up to them, then you are forcing them. Whether its meat or veg.

Breakfast they choose.
    Lunch they choose from a chart of different foods for school.
    Dinner we choose to make sure they get all they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

There's something really sad about this thread, and your complete refusal to take more knowledgeable posters' opinions on board.

Yes, your family is a unit, but you, your partner, and both of your children all have your own unique sets of needs and preferences.

Yes, you might be able to tick all of your little boxes looking at the family as a whole - but one (or more) family members may be suffering as a result. Looking at that massive plate of potatoes for yourself, it's quite possible someone else is suffering to allow whatever balance you have in your head that you want to achieve. Rather than considering each family member as an individual.

But, it's OK, you can give them crisps in their lunchboxes to make up for it. :rolleyes:

There's something really sad about this thread, and your complete refusal to take more knowledgeable posters' opinions on board.

Yes, your family is a unit, but you, your partner, and both of your children all have your own unique sets of needs and preferences.

Yes, you might be able to tick all of your little boxes looking at the family as a whole - but one (or more) family members may be suffering as a result. Looking at that massive plate of potatoes for yourself, it's quite possible someone else is suffering to allow whatever balance you have in your head that you want to achieve. Rather than considering each family member as an individual.

But, it's OK, you can give them crisps in their lunchboxes to make up for it. :rolleyes:

Where have I refused to take on any opinion? I have asked for opinions 4 times. That said, sorry you don't get the thread probably my fault not yours. My kids eat really well, don't be too worried about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Most people think that good quality food is expensive. What I found was the opposite.

The €15 spent on nonsense food gave the lowest return. The €60 spent on high nutrition food gave the highest return both from a nutrition and satisfaction perspective.

So in real terms, the nonsense column was effectively throwing my money away.

depends on what your definition of nutrition is.
    I could be wrong, but you seem to over-focus on the vitamins & minerals end of things and not enough on the macros end.
    A lot of the "nutritious" things you list are all carbs, no protein or good fats.

• Advertisement

depends on what your definition of nutrition is.
    I could be wrong, but you seem to over-focus on the vitamins & minerals end of things and not enough on the macros end.
    A lot of the "nutritious" things you list are all carbs, no protein or good fats.

If you honestly have the opinion that after week 1 of trying to do this you find the foods we are eating are not good for us then I have to listen. I thought we were doing really well.

Can you be a bit more specific about what you would remove and what you would add?

Advertisement