Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

bush_eating_kitten.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

2ibt.jpg

633683916651638319-lol.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

bush_eating_kitten.jpg

oh I had a reply to that on the tip of my tongue ... something along the lines of "boy does george love ....." I dont want to be banned so im biting my tongue :P

corkcomp wrote: »
    "boy does george love ....."

Lol! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Thanks for that. He can't really drink milk as he gets congested from it and it aggravates his asthma an awful lot but I try and get lots of coconut milk, bananas, bread, nuts, peanut butter and fish into him. He manages to fit in a bit of junk at least once a day when Im not around too. :rolleyes: He won't eat any meat other than fish but I do get eggs into him maybe 3 times a week too.
    We're actually trying to get him to put on fat more so than muscle, either'd do but he had viral arithis for 2 months there and hasn't recovered to the extent that he can exercise other than walking just yet.
    I don't know what more I can do really it seems a bit hopeless at this stage. :(
    Any ideas temple?

He should be able to drink goats milk, its more expensive though. Normally its easy to tell people how to gain weight but since he's genuinely trying and still not managing it makes it more difficult. I wonder if you made him eat bigger meals less often as many fat people do would it 'suppress' his metabolism to an extent and increase his weight?

• Advertisement

He should be able to drink goats milk, its more expensive though. Normally its easy to tell people how to gain weight but since he's genuinely trying and still not managing it makes it more difficult. I wonder if you made him eat bigger meals less often as many fat people do would it 'suppress' his metabolism to an extent and increase his weight?

He really doesn't like goats milk, wierd I love the stuff.
    Do you mean 2 meals a day sort of thing?

I think its really nice too. He could add nesquik to it to cover the taste. Yes two-three big meals might be an alternative, if he's eating 4-6 times atm then it might cause a change? I remember there was a thread in fitness about a guy who was eating up on 10,000cals but wasn't gaining weight. Problem was he included far too much good food like plain chicken breast, and wasn't making the added effort of say adding coconut milk or cream or olive oil to his mass gaining shakes, more junk and fatter cuts. I'm aware of what was said in the previous few pages and that its not always as simple as adding more food, but sometimes adding more calorie dense food is required. For instance bananas, bread and fish (from your list) could be replaced with something heavier. I'm just thinking out loud here....

For instance bananas, bread and fish (from your list) could be replaced with something heavier. I'm just thinking out loud here....

Oh ok I thought adding these was a good idea! He has to eat the fish as he won't eat other meat but he gets crazy urges for fish all the time. I try and get him to eat lots of toast and butter (he's started eating it with maple syrup too which I'm not sure if I'm happy about or not yet) in between meals on the logic that if I did that I'd balloon in no time! Typical! :rolleyes:
    I suppose more cheese would be a good thing? We're big coconut milk fans already, my mum reccomended a smoothie made with bananas, ground nuts, juice and coconut milk for weight gain.
    He's such a greyhound it's unbelievalbe, even when he eats masses of chocolate and biscuits there's still not a pick on him. Could it be a metabolic disorder?
    I'm really not sure if it's worth his eating things that are bad for him (like loads or sugars and carbs) or not just to try and put on weight, especially if it doens't work!

Oh ok I thought adding these was a good idea! He has to eat the fish as he won't eat other meat but he gets crazy urges for fish all the time. I try and get him to eat lots of toast and butter (he's started eating it with maple syrup too which I'm not sure if I'm happy about or not yet) in between meals on the logic that if I did that I'd balloon in no time! Typical! :rolleyes:
    I suppose more cheese would be a good thing? We're big coconut milk fans already, my mum reccomended a smoothie made with bananas, ground nuts, juice and coconut milk for weight gain.
    He's such a greyhound it's unbelievalbe, even when he eats masses of chocolate and biscuits there's still not a pick on him. Could it be a metabolic disorder?
    I'm really not sure if it's worth his eating things that are bad for him (like loads or sugars and carbs) or not just to try and put on weight, especially if it doens't work!

I'm not sure if they are good or bad, you won't know that until he either gains weight or doesn't. But if I were thinking about how I would gain weight it wouldn't be bananas and bread, because although they're not good when you want to lose weight, when gaining they aren't really calorifically dense enough, so it should be hard to gain weight with them (in my head a least) unless you react badly to carbs. Having said that your mothers shake is exactly what I'd think about having, except with an advocado added, and maybe some ice cream (sheeps milk ice cream for him?).
    I guess if the fish was salmon or similar fatty fishes then it would be good for gaining, or if it were from the chipper. I see a lot of people include tuna and white fish in their gaining diets though and its just not dense enough (imo). I wouldn't have a clue about metabolic disorders, but if you monitor his calories and constantly bump them up and don't see weight gain over a decent length of time (maybe 3-4 months?) it might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I just had a bowl of oats with a little cocunut oil and spoon of cocoa powder mixed in. NYOM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Haha, Thanks UL!!

Finally some off topic chat!! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Sorta off topic fun, ever wondered what a year old happy meal looks like?

not-so-happy-meal.jpg

Yum. Still looks good enough to eat!

From: http://www.geekologie.com/2010/03/year_old_happy_meal_looks_as_g.php

Hi guys I know this is really cheeky (please don't ban me mods!), but I'm trying to study for my sports nutrition exam and it's really not my strong suit and our notes are a mess from this module. I wrote this answer to a past paper but I'm getting really confused and have a feeling I'm contradicting myself. Can anyone here who knows about fitness (eileen, temple, transform, corkcomp etc) tell me if what I'm saying is accurate? My head is wrecked by this stuff. Thanks! :)

Describe how the muscle cell generates energy from different fuel sources during exercise of varying intensities.

The energy sources available to the muscles cells are: ATP, creatine phosphate, muscle glycogen and fat, this range of fuel sources allows for a graded metabolic response from immediate extreme exertion to prolonged low level endurance.
    Creatine phosphate is the primary energy source for both muscle and brain cells following intense muscular or neuronal effort lasting 2-7 seconds.
    CP is present in the cell at 3-5 times the concentration of ATP and so serves as a high energy phosphate reservoir; it is synthesized in the liver from Arginine, Glycine and Methionine and transported to the muscles cells via the blood.
    It is used anaerobically to regenerate ATP by donation of a phosphate group to ADP, providing a spatial and temporal buffer of ATP concentration.
    The total capacity of the creatine phosphate-ATP system is 0.6 moles, and the power is 3.6 moles/minute.
    An example of when this system is used would be the 100 metre dash, in which 50% of energy needs are met by ATP-CP and 50% by anaerobic glycogen catabolism.
    Another important fuel source during the early stages of strenuous high intensity exercise is muscle glycogen, which is catabolised anaerobically via glycolysis when the oxygen supply is inadequate or the energy demands of the exercise are greater than the capacity of the aerobic system to provide ATP.
    After 1-2 minutes the accumulation of hydrogen ions and associated lactate inhibit the reactions of glycolysis.
    This pathway is important for high intensity anaerobic power events ranging from 20 seconds to 2 minutes such as the 200, 400 and 800 metre sprint and 100 and 200 metre swimming events.
    The total capacity of the anaerobic system is 1.2 moles and the power is 1.6 moles/minute.
    The catabolic fuels therefore for high intensity exercise at supra-maximal effort (>120% VO2 max) are creatine phosphate and glycogen, with exhaustion occuring after 2-3 minutes.
    At near maximal effort (75-90% VO2max), glycogen is the initial fuel and then fatty acids and glycogen together are used, exhaustion occurs after 20-30 minutes.
    The anaerobic threshold is the exercise intensity at which lactic acid rapidly accumulates in the blood stream (as a result of hydrogen ion release and bicarbonate depletion), and occurs at approximately 65% VO2 max.
    At 65% VO2 max other contributors to energy (in addition to muscle glycogen) are plasma free fatty acids and smaller amounts of muscle triglycerides and plasma glucose are also used.
    Close to 65% VO2 max glycogen serves the as sole muscle fuel but at lower levels fat contributes more significantly to energy requirements, the divide between aerobic and anaerobic metabolism is found in events involving maximum exertion for approximately 2 minutes when 50% of energy is derived from aerobic (fatty acid catabolism) and 50% from anaerobic metabolism.
    Sustained exercise between 60 and 80% VO2 max is limited by muscle glycogen stores (which are depleted after 1-3 hours), at this point fat oxidation increases (contributing up to 90% of energy) and carbohydrate utilisation decreases as glycogen is depleted.
    Fat metabolism (aerobic) can only maintain exercise at 50% VO2 max, if muscle glycogen stores become depleted this is extremely arduous and there is a risk of hypoglycaemia, fat is therefore used as the primary fuel source in all endurance events but never as the sole fuel source.
    During low level intensity exercise fatty acid metabolism is elevated and fatty acid oxidation increases, as intensity increases to ~65% VO2 max (the anaerobic threshold) a decline in fatty acid metabolism occurs.
    At rest and in particular after fasting, fatty acids are the predominant fuel used (accounting for almost 100% of requirements) and very small amount of muscle triglycerides and plasma glucose are utilized also.

I could go splitting hairs but 95% of the above is spot on .. looks good to me

I could go splitting hairs but 95% of the above is spot on .. looks good to me

Thanks a million Corkcomp, is the 5% related to the examples of exercise events I used for different energy systems? I'm really unsure of that stuff and have an idea my eamples may be a bit inaccurate.

Thanks a million Corkcomp, is the 5% related to the examples of exercise events I used for different energy systems? I'm really unsure of that stuff and have an idea my eamples may be a bit inaccurate.

no the examples look ok to me, the only thing that stood out is that fat oxidation increases upon depletion of glycogen stores (this is true to a point, but the jury is out on that one!) - I dont think at 80% of vo2 max that fat would contribute to anywhere near 90% of energy used .. again, its pretty accurate IMO, i wouldnt worry about the minor stuff:)

no the examples look ok to me, the only thing that stood out is that fat oxidation increases upon depletion of glycogen stores (this is true to a point, but the jury is out on that one!) - I dont think at 80% of vo2 max that fat would contribute to anywhere near 90% of energy used .. again, its pretty accurate IMO, i wouldnt worry about the minor stuff:)

Cool I'll have a look at my figures for that so and see if I can find anything more realistic. Thanks again I really appreciate you taking the time to read it for me! My poor brain is melted at this stage :p

Here's the vanilla custard ice-cream recipe:

Quantities are huge cos my ice-cream maker is huge!

2 pots of double cream (or equivalent coconut milk if dairy free - you need to remove some of the water from the can first to get that cream consistancy)
    12 egg yolks
    Seeds scraped out of 2 vanilla pods
    Sweetener to taste. I like a teaspoon of honey 'cos I don't like using artificial stuff and its a tiny amount of sugar per portion.

Get the cream in a pan and heat gently until it starts going frothy and worried-looking. While that's happening, put the yolks, honey and vanilla seeds into a bowl and mix until it's combined.

Tip the cream into the bowl and whisk until it's all in. Pop it back in the pan and stir for a couple of minutes.

Then pop in the ice-cream maker and voila.

I've made it a few times and the texture is more like sorbet than ice-cream.

I was posting on a cooking forum and they advised using glycerol to get the texture right. Where on earth does one buy glycerol?

I was posting on a cooking forum and they advised using glycerol to get the texture right. Where on earth does one buy glycerol?

A pharmacy or health food shop!

A pharmacy or health food shop!

I would have never in a million years guessed pharmacy, although it makes complete sense! What the hell is it anyhow?

I just found vanilla beans in Aldi for 1.50!! They are 5.95 in Dunnes, that will cut down on costs considerably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would have never in a million years guessed pharmacy, although it makes complete sense! What the hell is it anyhow?
    Its a laxative! I used to make liquers and you used it to smoothen out the liquer, that is why commercial ones taste so syrupy, it is not just sugar that thickens it. Also in cheaply made spirits they will smoothen them out with glycerol/glycerine so they do not taste as harsh. They warned not to put too much in due to the laxative effect.

EDIT: reading on wiki it seems it is only a laxative when used as a suppository, so the warnings I read must have got it wrong thinking it was oral. Says it is used orally for bad breath.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol#Pharmaceutical_and_personal_care_applications

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

How do you make it without an icecream maker??? Thanks!

Pembily wrote: »
    How do you make it without an icecream maker??? Thanks!
    You would find guides online. I think you have to pop it in the freezer and keep whisking it up at intervals of maybe 20mins or so, this introduces air into the mixture, you start doing this just as it is beginning to freeze up. I think an icecream maker is just a cold unit which continually stirs it up introducing air all the time.

rubadub wrote: »
    Its a laxative! I used to make liquers and you used it to smoothen out the liquer, that is why commercial ones taste so syrupy, it is not just sugar that thickens it. Also in cheaply made spirits they will smoothen them out with glycerol/glycerine so they do not taste as harsh. They warned not to put too much in due to the laxative effect.

EDIT: reading on wiki it seems it is only a laxative when used as a suppository, so the warnings I read must have got it wrong thinking it was oral. Says it is used orally for bad breath.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol#Pharmaceutical_and_personal_care_applications

Noted! How much should I add?

very little .. its the stuff used in wedding / xmas cake icing to stop it going hard and cracking ... 1tsp max .. unless you want laxative type ice cream :pac:

Here's the vanilla custard ice-cream recipe:

Quantities are huge cos my ice-cream maker is huge!

2 pots of double cream (or equivalent coconut milk if dairy free - you need to remove some of the water from the can first to get that cream consistancy)
    12 egg yolks
    Seeds scraped out of 2 vanilla pods
    Sweetener to taste. I like a teaspoon of honey 'cos I don't like using artificial stuff and its a tiny amount of sugar per portion.

Get the cream in a pan and heat gently until it starts going frothy and worried-looking. While that's happening, put the yolks, honey and vanilla seeds into a bowl and mix until it's combined.

Tip the cream into the bowl and whisk until it's all in. Pop it back in the pan and stir for a couple of minutes.

I've made it a few times and the texture is more like sorbet than ice-cream.

Sounds pretty good, was it only the texture that you were having problems with? I wonder if you dropped some of the egg yolks and folded some whisked egg whites into the mix would it come out better....

Any chance some protein powder could be added to something like this or is that just wishful thinking? Whenever I bake with PP it comes out really dry, but I'm probably using way too much.

very little .. its the stuff used in wedding / xmas cake icing to stop it going hard and cracking ... 1tsp max .. unless you want laxative type ice cream :pac:

LOL! I'd say there'd be a market for that amongst older people!
    Sounds pretty good, was it only the texture that you were having problems with? I wonder if you dropped some of the egg yolks and folded some whisked egg whites into the mix would it come out better....

Any chance some protein powder could be added to something like this or is that just wishful thinking? Whenever I bake with PP it comes out really dry, but I'm probably using way too much.

Yep, only the texture, which happens to be what makes ice-cream for me, that lovely smooth mouth-feel.

Protein powder ice cream - don't go there. It turns out DISGUSTING, just a horrible waste of cream and powder. Though admittedly I'm a crap cook! Some people swear to have recipes that tastes like real ice-cream, but I've seen people claim that there's no difference in taste between grated cauliflower and rice and there bloody well is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Any chance some protein powder could be added to something like this or is that just wishful thinking? Whenever I bake with PP it comes out really dry, but I'm probably using whey too much.

FYP there Brian :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

roffles!

• Advertisement

Not sure, on wiki it says it acts like antifreeze so must make that smooth texture and stop harsh ice crystals forming. This must also be the reason why certain spirits freeze or rather go slushy while others do not at nearly the same %.
    Any chance some protein powder could be added to something like this or is that just wishful thinking?
    I have mixed it up in a blender with strawberry jelly to make a sort of mousse. If you use to much it tastes very grainy though.

Advertisement